PDA

View Full Version : New Dave Chappelle Show?

Fourthman
06-16-2011, 06:14 AM
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/is_dave_chappelle_working_on_a.html

Is Dave Chappelle Working on a New TV Show?
6/16/11 at 09:30 AM

According to The Daily, the reclusive Dave Chappelle is planning a new TV show — but not one that will be airing on any network. Says an anonymous source: "Dave Chappelle’s going back to TV. It’s not for a network. It’s for Netflix or Crackle or some other subscription service.” It sounds very much like a rumor at this point, but could it be true? Chappelle hasn't shown a professional interest in anything other than the occasional stand-up appearance since Chappelle's Show flamed out, but one has to assume that if he did want to return, he'd be flooded with offers. So would he really go directly to a streaming service in order to do that? (For the record: His old pal Charlie Murphy had an original show on Crackle.) It's less crazy than leaving a hit show at the prime of your powers, right?

HOOKS
06-16-2011, 06:21 AM
That would be fucking fantastic.

Ryudo
06-16-2011, 06:25 AM
:rock:

Ashwin Pande
06-16-2011, 06:27 AM
I revisited Chappelle's Show again recently and found that I liked it a little less this time around. Apart from the signature bits (Player Haters Ball, Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories, Ask a Black Dude, Black White Supremacist, etc) that aren't that frequent it's a bit lame. I mean, there's still a lot to laugh at but sketches like the camera that can see different things, the girl who wants to get rid of her big boobs, etc the pacing is off and they're a little amateurishly shot and put together. It's definitely not as great as I remember it being.

Fourthman
06-16-2011, 06:35 AM
I revisited Chappelle's Show again recently and found that I liked it a little less this time around. Apart from the signature bits (Player Haters Ball, Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories, Ask a Black Dude, Black White Supremacist, etc) that aren't that frequent it's a bit lame. I mean, there's still a lot to laugh at but sketches like the camera that can see different things, the girl who wants to get rid of her big boobs, etc the pacing is off and they're a little amateurishly shot and put together. It's definitely not as great as I remember it being.

The novelty of it was a big factor in its success, but there's still a high ratio of enduring sketches to crap on a per episode basis.

RickLM
06-16-2011, 06:36 AM
I will watch it. The guy is brilliant.

Ashwin Pande
06-16-2011, 06:39 AM
The novelty of it was a big factor in its success, but there's still a high ratio of enduring sketches to crap on a per episode basis.

Yeah I guess that's true.

I wonder how Chappelle is at writing without Neal Brennan though. Last I read they're still not on talking terms.

Blake Sims
06-16-2011, 06:45 AM
I'd watch it, I caught an episode of the old show the other night. It was good, although I haven't watched any in a long time.

SteveFlack
06-16-2011, 06:51 AM

I always felt that way about. Not that it was bad, mind you, it was just rough. I felt it was a season or two away from hitting it's highs. They knew what they were doing, they just needed some practice getting it down.

Spidey616
06-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Big win for Netflix if it's true

capntightpants
06-16-2011, 08:01 AM

I wonder how Chappelle is at writing without Neal Brennan though. Last I read they're still not on talking terms.

That's a shame. I hope they can work something out and bring it back together.

Nevertheless. :rock:

SteveFlack
06-16-2011, 08:06 AM

Looks like Brennan just did an interview on Joe Rogan's podcast where he answered a bunch of Chappelle Q's. I'll have to give that a listen to see what the current situation is.