PDA

View Full Version : Jack Reacher and typical Hollywood (Mis)Casting

Greygor
06-16-2011, 03:33 AM
So if the rumour's are true then Tom cruise is in talks to play the 6' 5" former US MP. Are they going to be reversing the technique they used on Chris Evans for Captain America?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/06/tom-cruise-perfect-to-play-lee-childs-6-foot-5-inch-tough.html

CapnChaos
06-16-2011, 06:26 AM
I brought it up in the DCU thread... because that's mostly where I post. :lol:

It's stupid. I don't know how to put it plainer than that. And it takes someone with an ego the size of Tom Cruise's to want to force a character so obviously wrong for them into a new mold just so they can play them in a movie. With Reacher, the size is very important to the character. And there's absolutely nothing about Cruise, from the way he portrays every character to his 'look' to his age that is right for the character.

Just get Dwayne Johnson, already.

Of course Child isn't going to make a big deal out of it; Cruise got himself signed on as a producer and quite possibly holds the fate of the movie in his hands. (And all that fat movie cash.)

Stark Raving
07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't know that Cruise can pull this off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9mtaMotF4

yeamon
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
This is what they do. This is how Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger got Marky-Marked.

TIP
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
That and he's been playing heterosexuals for most of his career...

:crazy:

dougmac
07-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I generally like Cruise, but aside from the physical differences (which were a big deal in the books and a defining charateristic for the Reacher character), is it smart to start a new action franchise (and there is no reason with the popularity of these books that it shouldn't be a franchise) with an actor that turns 50 years old today

Kingsmythe
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I read about this a while back and it's a HORRIBLE idea. Reacher gets away with what he does in his fights in part because he's so damn big. This is just foolish.

Sadly, I doubt they'd do it, but Ben Bailey, stand up comic and former host of Cash Cab, wants the role, and he's freaking huge, height wise. The rest he could bulk up with if they gave him a decent trainer.

I don't have anything against Cruise, but this is just not a good fit.

Dan-C
07-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Is there anyone Cruise's age, with the size needed for the role, and the talent/ star power combination Cruise has? I mean, they could find someone who's physically imposing, but if the person can't act, wouldn't the fans all just complain that they cast a shitty actor?

This is what they do. This is how Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger got Marky-Marked.

Let's be honest here, Walberg wasn't the problem with that movie. He's a huge box office draw, and has been for a while now. The fact that the movie only made just shy of $50M at the box office means there's a lot else going on in that one. Heck, Ted made more than that on opening weekend.

WillieLee
07-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Agreed. It's time that Hollywood starts casting the correct actors when making movies out of idiotic characters.

Foolish Mortal
07-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Looks like they're having Cruise play him more as a Jason Bourne style wiry martial arts fighter rather than the big, intimidating shitkicker that Reacher's supposed to be.

Really, that's the only way it could work with Cruise playing the part.

Gene Reginato
07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
In One Shot, Reacher's big size isn't that important, as the book is basically investigation thriller..

In other books it would pose a problem, as they mentioned how huge he is every two pages and then there is a big fight.

Kingsmythe
07-03-2012, 06:39 PM
In One Shot, Reacher's big size isn't that important, as the book is basically investigation thriller..

In other books it would pose a problem, as they mentioned how huge he is every two pages and then there is a big fight.

This is what I'm saying. Reacher wins his fights, in part, because of his raw size and strength. Cruise just doesn't have that.

WhindamPryce
07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
And Wolverine was supposed to be 5 feet. Get over it. :lol:

People need to just stop underestimating Tom Cruise. The guy's a damn good actor and this movie seems right up his alley. I'm sure it'll be a lotta fun.

dougmac
07-03-2012, 09:45 PM

People need to just stop underestimating Tom Cruise. The guy's a damn good actor and this movie seems right up his alley. I'm sure it'll be a lotta fun.

It's not the same thing though. And Cruise at 50 is to old to start off a franchise even if the size thing wasn t an issue

rwsmith
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
And despite doing a decent job of channeling the character in X1 and X2 (not so much X3 and XMOW), Hugh Jackman just doesn't feel like Wolverine to me. He's too damn tall and rangy. Just like Cruise is way too short to be the hulking, intimidating Reacher. After reading a few of the books, I just can't buy his Mini-Me version of the character. Maybe if I knew nothing of the books...

It'll probably do well, though. Just because it is a Tom Cruise vehicle.

Jason California
07-03-2012, 09:53 PM
It's not the same thing though. And Cruise at 50 is to old to start off a franchise even if the size thing wasn t an issue

Maybe they will Jack Ryan the character.

WhindamPryce
07-03-2012, 10:05 PM

so what if he's 50? he's still running around making action movies. seems to me he feels he's in pretty good shape to be able to pull this kinda shit off. it's not like he has to do jackie chan type stunts where age starts to matter after a while. this is just standing around punching people, bourne style, maybe a little running around... not really that difficult for someone in as incredible a shape as Cruise is.

plus, i wouldn't really worry about a franchise getting started. i have not read the books. but judging from that trailer alone, this seems like a typical action film, nothing that screams OMG a sequel just HAS to be made or that it will become super beloved by audiences like Bourne. I'm willing to be proven wrong by audience reaction in december, however.

WhindamPryce
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
And despite doing a decent job of channeling the character in X1 and X2 (not so much X3 and XMOW), Hugh Jackman just doesn't feel like Wolverine to me. He's too damn tall and rangy. Just like Cruise is way too short to be the hulking, intimidating Reacher. After reading a few of the books, I just can't buy his Mini-Me version of the character. Maybe if I knew nothing of the books...

It'll probably do well, though. Just because it is a Tom Cruise vehicle.

if Jackman doesn't feel like Wolvie to you, then I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. :lol:

RegularJoe
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
i noticed this in M:I - Ghost Protocol: when cruise fights it LOOKS choreographed. when he was in a fight scene with Renner, it was so obvious. Renner looked like he could hurt you. Cruise looked like he was trying to remember the next move.

dougmac
07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
so what if he's 50? he's still running around making action movies. seems to me he feels he's in pretty good shape to be able to pull this kinda shit off. it's not like he has to do jackie chan type stunts where age starts to matter after a while. this is just standing around punching people, bourne style, maybe a little running around... not really that difficult for someone in as incredible a shape as Cruise is.

plus, i wouldn't really worry about a franchise getting started. i have not read the books. but judging from that trailer alone, this seems like a typical action film, nothing that screams OMG a sequel just HAS to be made or that it will become super beloved by audiences like Bourne. I'm willing to be proven wrong by audience reaction in december, however.

of course its a franchise, there's 17 books in the series and a studio wouldn't pay the rights fees intending to make just one. And more to the point, if they have to change things to make it just a typical action film then why pay the rights and fuck up the adaption instead of just making a stand alone original film.
And since you haven't read the books, yet have seen all the posts about how Reacher's size is portrayed as a significant trait in virtually all the stories, maybe you shouldn't call everyone out for underestimating Cruise and assume that everyone else is wrong and this is right up his alley.

Kingsmythe
07-03-2012, 11:03 PM

So essentially, you're offering your considered opinion about something you admit you don't know anything about. Yes, Reacher's size matters. The books are a far cut above "typical action film." Maybe if they get it RIGHT with the first one, it will be a franchise.

J. Wilson
07-04-2012, 03:50 AM
I watched the trailer and maybe I'm wrong but that seemed NOTHING like Jack Reacher. I'm not talking about Tom Cruise and his size, but the bits and pieces of the story didn't seem like it had anything to do with the book (admittedly it has been a while since I read the book.)

Greygor
07-04-2012, 04:41 AM
The Wolverine(Jackman) Reacher(Cruise) argument doesn't work for me.

Wolverine is short, Jackman is tall, but on screen he looks like he'd kick your ass

For Cruise it doesn't work in reverse, in that teaser trailer where he's looking up at his attackers it looked a little ridiculous.

Now I know size is not important it's fighting technique, it just doesn't look right to me.

Of course it's always possible that because I've read the books I have an image of Reacher in my head that's making it look worse than it actually is.

Foolish Mortal
07-04-2012, 04:43 AM

This is the equivalent of Wolverine playing Colossus.

Tom Cruise is playing a character named Jack Reacher, but it's not the Jack Reacher from the novels.

ashland10
07-04-2012, 05:20 AM
He might be 50, but he doesnt look 50, not even close!

WhindamPryce
07-04-2012, 05:53 AM
of course its a franchise, there's 17 books in the series and a studio wouldn't pay the rights fees intending to make just one. And more to the point, if they have to change things to make it just a typical action film then why pay the rights and fuck up the adaption instead of just making a stand alone original film.
And since you haven't read the books, yet have seen all the posts about how Reacher's size is portrayed as a significant trait in virtually all the stories, maybe you shouldn't call everyone out for underestimating Cruise and assume that everyone else is wrong and this is right up his alley.

Hollywood tries to turn everything into a franchise. I don't doubt their intentions on that front. all I meant was, I'm sure they and Cruise feel confident that if the BO gross does warrant a franchise then they will be up to it. I'm sure Cruise of all people is aware of his age. And I'm sure they know how size is important to the character, but are hoping to make up for it in other ways (good story, good / intense acting, etc). Cruise seems to be an actor who takes shit like that seriously. He likes different, he likes experimenting, that's why he works with first time directors a lot (at least for the MI series) and does musicals, etc.

And as far as me not having read the books...... I mean, listen, this is the exact same knee-jerk reactions that fans of xyz property go through EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME when their ideal vision of a property is not being realized in the trailers or casting. then when the movie comes out, people change their tunes. all i'm saying is, for better or worse, just wait and see. how about this one time people NOT go through these motions? fine, a little guy like Cruise beating up a dozen people may seem ridiculous. I get it. THESE particular complaints are more valid than all other types of fanboy complaints. But, hey, welcome to the magic of cinema..?

WhindamPryce
07-04-2012, 05:56 AM
So essentially, you're offering your considered opinion about something you admit you don't know anything about. Yes, Reacher's size matters. The books are a far cut above "typical action film." Maybe if they get it RIGHT with the first one, it will be a franchise.

I'm guessing you've always wielded the anonymity of the internet with far more responsibility in every single instance you've posted anywhere about a movie, book, tv show, etc? :lol:

WhindamPryce
07-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Would you guys have preferred Tom Hardy?

WhindamPryce
07-04-2012, 06:13 AM
nvm

WhindamPryce
07-04-2012, 06:17 AM
The Wolverine(Jackman) Reacher(Cruise) argument doesn't work for me.

Wolverine is short, Jackman is tall, but on screen he looks like he'd kick your ass

For Cruise it doesn't work in reverse, in that teaser trailer where he's looking up at his attackers it looked a little ridiculous.

Now I know size is not important it's fighting technique, it just doesn't look right to me.

Of course it's always possible that because I've read the books I have an image of Reacher in my head that's making it look worse than it actually is.

a) I believe on screen Cruise looks like he could kick ass.
b) Wouldn't you say the whole "bad guys underestimating a fighter cuz he's tiny" thing that has always worked for Wolverine in the comics could be a great/funny thing to see with Cruise in this film, as opposed to seeing a huge guy on screen and KNOWING that yeah he'll come out on top in pretty much any fight against thugs like the ones at the end of the teaser? Which has more (on screen) suspense?

WhindamPryce
07-04-2012, 06:19 AM
sorry guys, I was just bored. I'll bow out now. :psyduck:

rwsmith
07-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Would you guys have preferred Tom Hardy?

No. He's tiny too. His build is perfect for Wolverine, though.

dougmac
07-04-2012, 07:16 AM
a) I believe on screen Cruise looks like he could kick ass.
b) Wouldn't you say the whole "bad guys underestimating a fighter cuz he's tiny" thing that has always worked for Wolverine in the comics could be a great/funny thing to see with Cruise in this film, as opposed to seeing a huge guy on screen and KNOWING that yeah he'll come out on top in pretty much any fight against thugs like the ones at the end of the teaser? Which has more (on screen) suspense?

No and no

Alexander Hamilton
07-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Okay. Just watched the trailer. I know nothing about the character or the books. Here's my opinion:

Looked like a fairly by the numbers action movie. Kind of reminds me of 80's/early 90's era Van Damme and Segal-type flicks, but with modern production... Or a modern take on Deathwish or Dirty Harry, but with an actor that doesn't have anything resembling the intimidation factor of Branson or Eastwood. If they showed more of the action pieces I might have been interested, but otherwise... blah.

rwsmith
07-04-2012, 07:26 AM
No and no

Agreed. Tom Cruise does not look like he could kick anyone's ass IMO, and Wolverine wins fights because his bones are unbreakable and he has razor-sharp knives that pop out of his hands.

dougmac
07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Agreed. Tom Cruise does not look like he could kick anyone's ass IMO, and Wolverine wins fights because his bones are unbreakable and he has razor-sharp knives that pop out of his hands.

And Wolverine isn't consistently portrayed as a runt in the source material either. I know it was the original design, but many artists draw him much bigger.

Greygor
07-04-2012, 08:59 AM
No and no

You've saved me answering, thank you

Humphrey_Lee
07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
This is what I'm saying. Reacher wins his fights, in part, because of his raw size and strength. Cruise just doesn't have that.

Just to ask a silly question and to do it in an open forum so that I can either embarrass myself or maybe make the point... but are the books popular? I've honestly never heard of the character until this thread and that trailer. I also tend to not really read the modern "badass special forces character" books outside of Jonathan Mayberry's Joe Ledger stuff.

WillieLee
07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Just to ask a silly question and to do it in an open forum so that I can either embarrass myself or maybe make the point... but are the books popular? I've honestly never heard of the character until this thread and that trailer. I also tend to not really read the modern "badass special forces character" books outside of Jonathan Mayberry's Joe Ledger stuff.

No.

Humphrey_Lee
07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
And Wolverine isn't consistently portrayed as a runt in the source material either. I know it was the original design, but many artists draw him much bigger.

And Hugh Jackson mansome too...

Foolish Mortal
07-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Eh. A lot of people hadn't heard of the Hunger Games books before the movie came out.

Humphrey_Lee
07-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Eh. A lot of people hadn't heard of the Hunger Games books before the movie came out.

True, but it was also on the bestsellers list for about a year and sold about a dozen million copies by time the movie options hit. Basically I'm asking if this series even hit the bestsellers list once because that means I should probably know it and am ignorant or it's under the radar enough that you can probably get a Tom Cruise to play the part and interest more people that don't know the books than piss off those that do. That's kind of what I was angling for.

Ben
07-04-2012, 09:23 AM
I've never heard of the character and saw the trailer before a movie I saw this morning. I got the sense that the people he's fighting underestimate him because he's a pretty boy and that's how he gets to kick their asses.

Greygor
07-04-2012, 09:26 AM

I think sales are around the 250,000 - 350,000 mark for hard cover sales, paperbacks I'm not sure about.

motorfirebox
07-04-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't know that Cruise can pull this off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9mtaMotF4
Dman I love seeing Pittsburgh in movies.

Greygor
07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Dman I love seeing Pittsburgh in movies.

It's bigger than Cruise at least

Kingsmythe
07-04-2012, 10:32 AM

As they are released, they consistently hit the NYT 10 best sellers list, so take that for what it's worth. No, not household names like Tom Clancy or Stephen King, but they have a really good sized following.

Kingsmythe
07-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm guessing you've always wielded the anonymity of the internet with far more responsibility in every single instance you've posted anywhere about a movie, book, tv show, etc? :lol:

I haven't tried to tell fans of something I've never read that my not knowing something gives me the position to say they shouldn't be worried about something fairly significant, no.

I do give you points for being honest about your ignorance, so that's good, but from what I seem to be gathering of your point here, you just happen to like Tom Cruise and think he can play any action related part? Can't wait to see him in the biographies of Muhammad Ali, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan......

dougmac
07-04-2012, 11:05 AM
As they are released, they consistently hit the NYT 10 best sellers list, so take that for what it's worth. No, not household names like Tom Clancy or Stephen King, but they have a really good sized following.

They sell very well worldwide. King is a big fan too, he even references Reacher in Under the Dome

Kingsmythe
07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I've never heard of the character and saw the trailer before a movie I saw this morning. I got the sense that the people he's fighting underestimate him because he's a pretty boy and that's how he gets to kick their asses.

Which is the problem in a nutshell. This is the antithesis of how Reacher is. He's NOT a pretty boy, he's far from it, he's big enough to end some fights before they really kick off because some folks look at him and go "Uh huh, no way."

dougmac
07-04-2012, 01:07 PM

Yes that's technically true but it's disingenuous. That was a huge selling series primed for a big screen adaption before the movie came out.

WillieLee
07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Which is the problem in a nutshell. This is the antithesis of how Reacher is. He's NOT a pretty boy, he's far from it, he's big enough to end some fights before they really kick off because some folks look at him and go "Uh huh, no way."

No action has always made for a successful action movie.

Humphrey_Lee
07-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Yeah then I can see why it's miffing to get someone innacurate for the part like that despite their draw. If it's completely under the radar I can usually see a move like this for selling purposes, but if it's already got a really solid install base I have to imagine you can find a name that will do the character justice AND help things along. Since this guy's big strength is his size, get a Rock if he's available. We are pretty hurting for action stars these days though outside of older gents like Sly and Cruise and then Statham and the Rock.

Kingsmythe
07-04-2012, 02:50 PM
No action has always made for a successful action movie.

I'm not saying it won't be a successful ACTION movie, I'm saying it won't be Jack Reacher, and, if they are getting rid of his physical characteristics, there's a decent chance they will get rid of a lot of what makes Reacher Reacher, which means what seperates the stories from the "generic action movie," quality stand a good chance of being lost as well.

Best analogy I can think of at the moment is "Hey, let's do a Batman movie, but lose the costume."

Stark Raving
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Jack "Can't Quite" Reacher

The Governor
07-05-2012, 01:46 AM
I haven't read the Reacher books, so, is he like the Punisher?

R0cketFr0g
07-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Agreed. It's time that Hollywood starts casting the correct actors when making movies out of idiotic characters.

The problem is that fanboys have no vision. The obvious answer here is to cast Cruise as Reacher, and to cast the REST of the movie with little people like Under the Rainbow or Time Bandits. In fact, and this is how shit gets done, Hollywood should link this together WITH the Time Bandits reboot. You make the Bandits the villains they obviously always wanted to be and you get Reacher to hunt them down - THROUGH FUCKING TIME AND SPACE.

I expect to be richly compensated for this.

dasNdanger
07-05-2012, 04:30 AM
I'm torn. I haven't read the books but I have read up on the character to see if it's a series I'd like to get into. His height is a pretty important element, it seems. People have mentioned Jackman as Wolverine, but for the most part (at least in the first movie), Jackman was filmed in such a way that it gave the illusion that he was shorter than his true height. So I know it can be done. However, the scene with tiny Reacher surrounded by all the big guys would scream 'miscast!' to any fan of the books.

That said, they aren't pinning their hopes on Reacher readers. They want to bring in people who aren't familiar with the books at all, and they will with Cruise in the role. Regardless of what people think of his personal life, they still seem to enjoy him on the big screen. I am not a fan of Cruise (or his acting, for that matter), but was pleasantly surprised with the last MI flick - he did a pretty good job and I was actually shocked to find myself liking the character, though I am still squarely in the *Tom Cruise is a freakin' nutburger* camp.

das

Foolish Mortal
07-05-2012, 04:39 AM
I haven't read the Reacher books, so, is he like the Punisher?

More like a one-man A-Team. A big, ex-military guy who travels around the country helping people who are in a jam.

Ben
07-05-2012, 04:39 AM
More like a one-man A-Team. A big, ex-military guy who travels around the country helping people who are in a jam.Does he like it when a plan comes together?

The Governor
07-05-2012, 05:25 AM
More like a one-man A-Team. A big, ex-military guy who travels around the country helping people who are in a jam.

Is it okay if I think of him like the Punisher, even if it only is used as a basis to slag this film off and call Cruise a cock?

Greygor
07-05-2012, 05:38 AM
Does he like it when a plan comes together?

More heads than Plan

Marcdachamp
07-05-2012, 05:46 AM

Sounds more like Ferrigno's Hulk. :lol:

Dreg
07-05-2012, 06:37 AM
I can't wait for Tom Cruise to play Golgo 13.