PDA

View Full Version : Inside The Apple Store: The Rules That Govern The Retail Chain

BENDIS!
06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Inside The Apple Store: The Rules That Govern The Retail Chain

When you enter an Apple Store, you probably don't realize just how meticulously engineered your entire experience is, from walk-in, to check-out.
A new report from The Wall Street Journal reveals just how much planning goes into shaping your time in the store, from what employees are and aren't allowed to say, to the kind of cable used to keep the laptops locked to the tables.
Some of the more surprising details:
-- Apple's sales per square foot are now $4,406 -- higher than luxury jewelry retailer Tiffany's and Co.
-- More people visit Apple Stores in a quarter than visit the four biggest Disney theme parks.
-- In-store technicians are asked to deal with emotional customers by using "simple reassurances" that they are listening, like, "Uh-huh" and "I understand."
-- Employees at the Genius Bar are asked to say "as it turns out" instead of "unfortunately," for a more positive spin on their bad news.
ADVERTISEMENT

-- Genius appointments are routinely triple booked, so that they are extremely busy much of the time.
-- Employees are forbidden from correcting customer mispronunciations, because it would make them feel "patronized."
-- Apple's retail philosophy is described by the acronym A.P.P.L.E. -- "Approach customers with a personalized warm welcome," "Probe politely to understand all the customer's needs," "Present a solution for the customer to take home today," "Listen for and resolve any issues or concerns," and "End with a fond farewell and an invitation to return."
-- Employees who are six minutes late three times in six months may be fired.
-- So many people on Apple's first retail team came from Gap that people joked that they were working at "Gapple."
-- While Geniuses make up to $30 an hour, other employees make $9 to $15 an hour, and few employees move up into corporate positions.
-- New employees are made to shadow more experienced co-workers and are forbidden to talk to customers until they're ready--which takes a few weeks, or more.
-- Steve Jobs is deeply invested in the details of the store, down to the kind of security cables holding devices down.

SteveFlack
06-15-2011, 11:21 PM
And that is why the Apple store is such a wonderful place to shop. I wish more retail stores followed their lead.

Slewo.O
06-15-2011, 11:35 PM
And that is why the Apple store is such a wonderful place to shop. I wish more retail stores followed their lead.

I can't tell if you're being serious. :lol:

Jason California
06-15-2011, 11:43 PM
The guy in charge of that just left to head up JC Penny.

SteveFlack
06-15-2011, 11:46 PM
I can't tell if you're being serious. :lol:

I am. I've never had a bad experience at an Apple Store.

Ryan Elliott
06-15-2011, 11:49 PM

Me neither.

The geniuses are nice and friendly AND helpful. I don't even care if the friendly part is fake, it's awesome.

It's great.

JohnBehling
06-16-2011, 01:27 AM

Neither have I.

Cactusakic
06-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Add me to the list of people who like the trains to run on time, though I admit, I have never set foot in an Apple store.

cmoney
06-16-2011, 02:35 AM
I don't know, it doesn't really sound THAT different from most retail. All the corporate speak and customer service exercises are pretty basic.

Ashwin Pande
06-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Tom Scharpling had a bad experience and talked about it for weeks on The Best Show.

Fourthman
06-16-2011, 05:11 AM
I'm never going to pronounce anything correctly at an Apple store again.

afroloq
06-16-2011, 05:25 AM
I also heard a rumor that they pump oxygen in the store...why? Oxygen gets you high. You are coming off the street trying to decide on an iPad or a Macbook and you panic. Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate. And then you buy.

;)

modungo
06-16-2011, 05:30 AM

Me too!!! I can't wait to visit an apple store again!!!

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-16-2011, 05:32 AM

:lol:

cPol
06-16-2011, 05:34 AM

I believe you mean "an Appel store".

bachman
06-16-2011, 05:35 AM
"Can y'all fix my comp-rooter?"

Dan
06-16-2011, 06:34 AM
I want to buy an iPooD from you.

TheTravis!
06-16-2011, 08:55 AM
They are supposed to be opening an Apple store in downtown New Haven, but they were keeping it a secret. So many of the propective employees talked that now it looks like they are not going to open the store, because Apple is PISSED.

Heroic Age Moe
06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
And now some dude in CA wants to unionize them :) (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/13/us-apple-idUSTRE75B1FL20110613)

Cory Moll, a part-time employee at an Apple store in San Francisco, is working to form a union to fight for better wages and benefits and to address what he says are unfair practices in the company's glass-and-steel retail showrooms.

"The core issues definitely involve compensation, pay, benefits," Moll said, adding that he decided to go public with the union to encourage other employees to come forward.

Jason California
06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
They are supposed to be opening an Apple store in downtown New Haven, but they were keeping it a secret. So many of the propective employees talked that now it looks like they are not going to open the store, because Apple is PISSED.

They want one in Grand Central too. I wonder if Ron Johnson's departure is going to have a noticeable effect on the retail end?

Heroic Age Moe
06-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Why would they be pissed? That doesn't make sense.

Jason California
06-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Why would they be pissed? That doesn't make sense.

THey do not like other people to break their news for them. Pretty tight lipped company.

Keith P.
06-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I've never been in one, there is one about a block and half away from my apartment, I now want to go in and mispronounce things also.

Buk Was Right
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM
And now some dude in CA wants to unionize them :) (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/13/us-apple-idUSTRE75B1FL20110613)

That's San Francisco for you. I think the STRIPPERS in this city are unionized.

Marcdachamp
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Me too. Or their customer service in general. Every time I've e-mailed them a question, the response is quick. When I bought my Mac, I called them to see about their offer to move files from a PC for free. The guy on the line seemed more excited about my purchase than I was. And I hadn't bought it from him. I got it from the online store.

HOOKS
06-16-2011, 09:31 AM
At Android stores, you're allowed to customize your experience.

Buk Was Right
06-16-2011, 09:46 AM
At Android stores, you're allowed to customize your experience.

Also, they're always open... in the sense that ANYONE can wander in and try to sell you anything. Also, you might get crabs.

HOOKS
06-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Also, they're always open... in the sense that ANYONE can wander in and try to sell you anything. Also, you might get crabs.

Yeah, but at least they have a cure for it. They even offer free condoms! You get the clap from the Apple store and she's gonna be all like "I don't know what you're talking about; you must have got it from someone else."

MayorMitch100
06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I love Apple computers, but the last time I went to the Apple store was to get a 64 gig iPad and they didn't have it. I called 4 or 5 other stores and no one had it, and the entire time the people on the phone were rushing to get me off for some reason. Kind of dicks in some cases but the stores are cool

Kedd
06-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Do the crabs cost extra or are they a bonus?

MayorMitch100
06-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Do the crabs cost extra or are they a bonus?

They're pretty expensive right now but if you wait until next quarter when they release Crabs 2 you can get the first one for a reasonable price on ebay.

Kedd
06-16-2011, 09:58 AM
The last time I went into an Apple store, my gf and I were mobbing around fiddling with the laptops when one of the employees came over. We told him we were just browsing for a bit and we'd let him know if we needed anything. He proceeded to stand about 2 feet away from us and hum for a bit and then his phone went off and he said to us, direct quote: "Hold on guys, I'll be right back." Just a weird moment.

Kedd
06-16-2011, 09:58 AM
They're pretty expensive right now but if you wait until next quarter when they release Crabs 2 you can get the first one for a reasonable price on ebay.
Probably what I'll do. paying full price for crabs is kind of ridiculous.

Buk Was Right
06-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I love Apple computers, but the last time I went to the Apple store was to get a 64 gig iPad and they didn't have it. I called 4 or 5 other stores and no one had it, and the entire time the people on the phone were rushing to get me off for some reason. Kind of dicks in some cases but the stores are cool

Probably because they get that call every eleven seconds and there are a bajillion people behind you in the call queueueueueueueu asking the same thing.

Jason California
06-16-2011, 10:13 AM
The last time I went into an Apple store, my gf and I were mobbing around fiddling with the laptops when one of the employees came over. We told him we were just browsing for a bit and we'd let him know if we needed anything. He proceeded to stand about 2 feet away from us and hum for a bit and then his phone went off and he said to us, direct quote: "Hold on guys, I'll be right back." Just a weird moment.

He probably did not want you guys to steal anything before he got back.

HOOKS
06-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Apple is racist. Why else do you think most of their products are white?

SteveFlack
06-16-2011, 10:19 AM

I hate it when people rush to get me off. I'd prefer they take their time. Y'know, just enjoy the experience and let the end come naturally.

Kedd
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM

The signs were always there, I just couldn't recognize them.

Kedd
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
I hate it when people rush to get me off. I'd prefer they take their time. Y'know, just enjoy the experience and let the end come naturally.
Yeah, getting off should be a slow and deliberate process. Taking one's time to ensure that ending is happy and that all [arties are mutually satisfied is important.

GrandeMaestro F√ľnke
06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I haven't had a bad experience at an apple store, but I'e never had one of their employees offer to help me before going to ask them. Even when they weren't so busy.

WillieLee
06-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Did he ask you to clap your hands until he got back?

WillieLee
06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
They want one in Grand Central too. I wonder if Ron Johnson's departure is going to have a noticeable effect on the retail end?

Not likely. Any business that's well designed can survive even an incompetent manager for years. Apple is making products that are in high demand with no real sign of saturation yet. Besides, Jobs will crush anyone that doesn't perform in his stead. Just like he will crush the attempts to form that union.

Jason California
06-16-2011, 10:42 AM

The signs were always there, I just couldn't recognize them.

He probably thought he was helping to avoid a $150 black people tax.