PDA

View Full Version : The World Needs More Adventure Movies

NeverWanderer
06-15-2011, 04:55 PM
I was watching some of the video game trailers coming out of E3 -- namely Far Cry, Uncharted, and Tomb Raider -- and it put me in the mood to watch movies in those veins... until I realized I've seen all the worthwhile ones I could think of.

The Indiana Jones series, the Mummy series, Star Wars, King Kong, the Tomb Raider movies, the National Treasure movies (well, actually, I haven't seen those yet... I guess that's my next stop!), Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile, The Phantom, Sky Captain. Even movies like City Slickers, The Rundown, and Up. All varying degrees of good, but all fun. What else is out there? What haven't I thought of? What are your favorites?

Zac Goyette
06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Goonies and pretty much all the ones you listed.

NeverWanderer
06-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Goonies is a great one!

I also forgot about Sahara.

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
I'd say Indy, Star Wars, and Romancing the Stone (but not the sequel!) are the classics for me.

I've got a soft spot for National Treasure for being a good-natured new brand of adventure movie with some wit and clever ideas. Don't expect a lot and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm sort of stuck for other ones, but I might cite Galaxy Quest. It's sci-fi, too, but has something of that globe-trotting quality (on a larger scale) and the wit a lot of adventure movies are known for. It's so awesome.

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
I never saw it, but wasn't Hidalgo with Viggo Mortensen supposed to be a fairly old-school kind of adventure movie?

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Oh shit, can't forget to factor in some classic movies! Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a great all-around movie, but it's all one of the best GUY adventure movies ever. Every time I see it I want to go mine for gold in the 1920s with a bunch of shady characters and have bonding and life-or-death struggles. I won't spoil any specifics, but one of the coolest things about it is also that it's really unpredictable.

Another great Bogey outing is The African Queen. It's a romance, too, of course, but then, so is Romancing The Stone. It's an awesome and unlikely quest story in its way, with all manner of obstacles to overcome and some great character work along the way. Both African Queen and Sierra Madre are among my all-time favorite movies.

Oh, and The Adventures of Robin Hood, too!

Figure the Pirates of the Caribbean movies qualify, incidentally? And there're lots of past movies with similar qualities: the original King Kong, all the great Ray Harryhausen movies, Disney's Treasure Island, etc.

stevapalooza
06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Well you can forget any more Allan Quatermain movies. Shogun is dead.

NeverWanderer
06-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Having just seen it, I can absolutely vouch for National Treasure. You guys... The Hodag was right.

Hate_Prime
06-15-2011, 07:29 PM
All forms of entertainment need more adventure. Broadly defined, I suppose a good chunk of movies qualify as adventure but they usually play up the action or romance, or how arduous or perilous the whatever is and the toll it's taking on the protagonists, neglecting the joy and the new and excitingness of the of it all. I seemed like Lord of the Rings had Frodo being sad the whole fucking way. He's a fucking Baggins, for shit's sake.

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Having just seen it, I can absolutely vouch for National Treasure. You guys... The Hodag was right.

:cry: <---- tears of joy

capntightpants
06-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Maybe Stardust?

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Maybe Stardust?

Both that and Princess Bride are probably good candidates. There's an inclination to exclude them because they have swords and magic and shit, but they still feel a lot like the other material we're talking about.

Hate_Prime
06-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Wait, swords and magic makes less of an adventure?

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Wait, swords and magic makes less of an adventure?

More like I think they tend to be subsumed by the broader "fantasy genre," and per the OP it also seemed like we were leaning more toward contemporary adventure stories.

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
But going by the broader notion of adventure, may I also offer up a childhood favorite - Krull - and two more recent discoveries: both classic versions of The Thief of Baghdad (the silent one and the one with Sabu).

Hate_Prime
06-15-2011, 08:18 PM
So a two fisted tale, pulp adventure kind of thing. Yeah, we definitely need more of those. Someone make an Atomic Robo movie already!

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 08:25 PM
National Treasure sidebar: one of the things I liked about it was that it was a fairly bloodless affair, mostly concerned with Mission-Impossible-style break-ins and out-thinking the bad guys. There heroes didn't even use guns at all, and I'm pretty sure Nic Cage didn't throw more than a punch or two. It was very all-ages friendly, without being some cloying kiddie movie.

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 08:26 PM
So a two fisted tale, pulp adventure kind of thing. Yeah, we definitely need more of those. Someone make an Atomic Robo movie already!

Reminds me of an obvious one I don't think's been mentioned: The Rocketeer.

JJ Fresh
06-15-2011, 08:28 PM
You've got the new Tintin movie coming soon, that should satisfy an adventure movie goer. (Hopefully)

NeverWanderer
06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah, National Treasure is really a perfect family-friendly action adventure. (ie: the type I'd sooner label "action adventure" than "family friendly")

As for the definitions of "adventure" movie, I do have a specific style in mind. In simplest terms, to me, adventures travel. They go places we've never been before and the peril is as much from the environment as it is from the badguys. And, like Hate_Prime said, there's a sense of wonder or awe involved. It's as much in the tone as in the content.

For example, to me, Star Wars (A New Hope) feels like an adventure movie, but while I can technically say the same for Empire and Jedi, I wouldn't point to them as perfect examples of the genre. Something in the tone of the first one has that "Away we go!" feel, while the following two are more dramatic and grounded, despite going to new places. Same with Lord of the Rings -- Fellowship especially. They're *technically* adventures, but the tone is more dire and oppressive (befitting the story, of course). I'd sooner point to Willow as a prime example of fantasy adventure.

The PotC movies are certainly adventures, though I wasn't as excited by the first one as I'd have liked, and the third again felt more grounded, less free. Dead Man's Chest, though, I can watch over and over again -- that's a GREAT adventure movie.

Princess Bride... technically, sure, I guess... but it's a very staid adventure. Doesn't provide the excitement I'm looking for. I'd sooner turn to that movie for its comedy and characters, not its thrills.

Galaxy Quest walks the line for me. Definitely an adventure, and with some exciting moments, but it's again the characters and comedy that draw me in.

The Rocketeer... tough one. Definitely has that adventure feel, but it's a relatively grounded movie. Isolated to a small area. Still... car chases, nazis, zeppelin... Sure, I'll allow it. :)

On that note, I am VERY MUCH looking forward to Captain America and Tintin as potential adventure fixes.

Hate_Prime
06-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Harry Potter, as perfect set up for adventure as it can get. Simple boy with special hidden potential gets accepted to a school of magic and wonder. I don't think the movies captured that feel all that much. Then again, my expectations were for something closer to the spirit of Peter Pan.

The Hodag
06-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Harry Potter, as perfect set up for adventure as it can get. Simple boy with special hidden potential gets accepted to a school of magic and wonder. I don't think the movies captured that feel all that much. Then again, my expectations were for something closer to the spirit of Peter Pan.

I think the first two movies did the job pretty well. Whatever one might say of Chris Columbus's directing, I definitely feel like the school and surrounding areas felt like big playgrounds for adventure. As the films (and books) wore on, they both got too dour for my tastes. And frankly, I was annoyed that Voldemort was the Big Bad in every single outing. I think I'd have liked more books that just had isolated adventures with the characters.

But, yeah, the set-up is ridiculous with potential.

CapnChaos
06-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Hey, if I ever get my Sopwith Cammy comic off the ground, maybe it can get adapted, someday. ;)

I always found the Disney Atlantis film to be underrated myself. There's the James Mason version of Journey to the Center of the Earth that I break out every once in a while. Monster House is great. It and Iron Giant are the only recent films I could think of that are comparable to Super 8. Oh, and The Incredibles. The Hellboy movies.

And of course, Big Trouble in Little China.

Stupendous Man
06-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Not movies but Frank Espinosa's Rocketo is a tremendous adventure comic book and Skies of Arcadia and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker are both great Adventure video games.

Alexander Hamilton
06-16-2011, 07:42 AM
I was watching some of the video game trailers coming out of E3 -- namely Far Cry, Uncharted, and Tomb Raider -- and it put me in the mood to watch movies in those veins... until I realized I've seen all the worthwhile ones I could think of.

The Indiana Jones series, the Mummy series, Star Wars, King Kong, the Tomb Raider movies, the National Treasure movies (well, actually, I haven't seen those yet... I guess that's my next stop!), Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile, The Phantom, Sky Captain. Even movies like City Slickers, The Rundown, and Up. All varying degrees of good, but all fun. What else is out there? What haven't I thought of? What are your favorites?

I thought the first Mummy was a fun popcorn adventure.

Greygor
06-16-2011, 08:20 AM
From what I've heard doesn't Super 8 come in this category?

CapnChaos
06-16-2011, 11:11 AM
From what I've heard doesn't Super 8 come in this category?

Depends on your definition. If you're looking for two-fisted manly men doing some globe-trotting, then no. If you want some mystery and confrontation with the unknown (along with a couple of kick-ass action sequences), then yes.

Matt C. Linton
06-16-2011, 01:01 PM
The Zorro films with Banderas, Zeta-Jones, and Hopkins (the first, at least).

CapnChaos
06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I thought the first Mummy was a fun popcorn adventure.

I thought the second one was too. It was a straight-up Harryhausen movie, just with unrealistic CGI instead of unrealistic stop-motion (which I know is better, but nobody will use due to time and cost.)

Hate_Prime
06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Neverending Story?

CapnChaos
06-16-2011, 06:43 PM
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

NeverWanderer
06-16-2011, 06:48 PM
I thought the second one was too. It was a straight-up Harryhausen movie, just with unrealistic CGI instead of unrealistic stop-motion (which I know is better, but nobody will use due to time and cost.)

Agreed. That may be the only sequel that succumbed to all the cliches of a bad sequel, yet somehow managed to be good anyway.

Tomb of the Dragon emperor... not so much.

Another one I didn't mention: Prince of Persia. It's a firmly B movie, but was good for some swashbuckling kicks.

NeverWanderer
06-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Some great older movies have been named. Specifically 20 Thousand Leagues and Treasure of the Sierra Madre have landed on my "To Watch" list. (Sierra Madre has been there for a while, actually, on Hodag's recommendation)

NeverWanderer
06-16-2011, 06:59 PM
The Zorro films with Banderas, Zeta-Jones, and Hopkins (the first, at least).

YES! That's a GREAT one! Which reminds me, I gotta watch the second.

The Hodag
06-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I still need to watch the second Zorro, too, though I hear it's not so hot. I had quite a good time with the first one, though. I love the opening sequence with the last hurrah of the original Zorro (as played by Hopkins). It's some of James Horner's most rousing music ever.

The Funketeer
06-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Remo Williams

NeverWanderer
06-17-2011, 07:36 PM
The first Hellboy is one that lands just this side of the adventure line for me.