PDA

View Full Version : What middling or even bad video game did you enjoy for one reason or another?

The Hodag
06-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Rented and blazed through KANE & LYNCH 2 a few months back, and while the gameplay's repetitive, I'd been reading Brubaker's CRIMINAL all week so it was just the kind of gangster shit I was in the mood for. Its streetside shootouts also took me back to the awesome shootout in HEAT.

Middling game, good time.

And I still can't believe there's a level that's entirely the two leads running around naked and bloody in the rain. But there is.

Briomega
06-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Earth Defense Force. One of the cheapest looking budget games ever and yet it was as fun as any AAA title.

MayorMitch100
06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
That one you got free from the PSN where you're a space ship and you destroy rocks. That thing is fun.

Spidey616
06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
I admit, I have a fondness for Luigi's Mansion.....:scared:

Kefky
06-14-2011, 10:22 PM
The Castlevania PS2 games.

I'm a huge castlevania mark, and there were genuinely good things about the games.

Kefky
06-14-2011, 10:23 PM

That ain't no middling or bad game, boy, it's a good one. :no:

The Hodag
06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
What did you do in Luigi's Mansion? It sounds like some kind of eerie, Mario horror game. Like The House on Haunted Hill meets Mario.

Kefky
06-14-2011, 11:14 PM
You go around catching ghosts with a vacuum cleaner.

It's kind of short and easy, but still good fun.

And I mean, it's the highest selling gamecube of all time, so it's not like people hated it.

Humphrey_Lee
06-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Last year's Ghostbusters game. Uhm, really liked the first Zone of the Enders though it never reached its potential until the sequel. Still stuck with the Tony Hawk games up until Project 8, which was pretty bland. There was a PSOne RPG called Legend of Legaia I really dug for some reason, but I played any JRPG I could get my hands on back then. And speaking of which, Legend of Dragoon, yeah, played that a lot. Fuck I played so many random PS2 games...

S. Earl
06-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Hook on the SNES, xenogears, xIII, rise of the Triad, Alysia Dragon, TOYS...

This message brought to you by being a kid that was thankful for whatever games he could get his hands on.

Ryan Elliott
06-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Friggin' Jurassic Park for the Sega Genesis.

Could NOT get past a certain point, ever. But I still loved it and played it because it was Jurassic Park and I love(d) dinosaurs.

Cactusakic
06-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Too many to list across pretty much every system from the NES through until the three current-gen consoles.

A few that stand out though:

Altered Beast on PS2
Area 51 on PS2/Xbox
Cold Fear on PS2/Xbox
Viking on 360/PS3
X-Men Origins: Wolverine on 360/PS3
Blacksite: Area 51 on 360/PS3
Frontline: Fuel Of War on 360
Splatterhouse on 360/PS3

Slewo.O
06-15-2011, 01:13 AM

:mistrust:

That's not a bad game.

Slewo.O
06-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Infamous I'd say. The game is glitchy as hell and the combat system and tasks are repetitive. But damn is the story fun and grinding on rails and power lines is fun... Plus Kessler is a pretty awesome villain.

cPol
06-15-2011, 03:36 AM
Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Damn near everything about that game was atrocious, and I played the Hell out of it.

Kelly Tindall
06-15-2011, 04:30 AM
BioShock 2. It's fun to play but almost all of the charm of the first is completely gone. The central conceit is dumb, the villain is horrible, the story is atrociously awful.

The DLC Minerva's Den is fantastic, though. Better ending than BioShock, too.

Beta_Ray_Bryan
06-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Last year's Ghostbusters game. Uhm, really liked the first Zone of the Enders though it never reached its potential until the sequel. Still stuck with the Tony Hawk games up until Project 8, which was pretty bland. There was a PSOne RPG called Legend of Legaia I really dug for some reason, but I played any JRPG I could get my hands on back then. And speaking of which, Legend of Dragoon, yeah, played that a lot. Fuck I played so many random PS2 games...

I loved Zone of the Enders too! It was one of my first PS2 games and I still haven't found a game from that genre that's as fun as that one was.

Bervda
06-15-2011, 04:56 AM
You go around catching ghosts with a vacuum cleaner.

It's kind of short and easy, but still good fun.

And I mean, it's the highest selling gamecube of all time, so it's not like people hated it.

Not the highest selling, but in the top ten. It's damn good. Excited for the sequel (finally!).

Foolish Mortal
06-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Hook on the SNES, xenogears, xIII, rise of the Triad, Alysia Dragon, TOYS...

This message brought to you by being a kid that was thankful for whatever games he could get his hands on.
Xenogears is not middling nor even close to bad. It was flat out the best RPG on the PS1. Hell, I think it's one of the best RPG's of all-time.

silverboy
06-15-2011, 05:28 AM
I played the PS1 Danger Girl game more than anyone should.

Matt Jay
06-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Shadowrun is one of the best multiplayer experiences on this generation of consoles. I simply don't understand the near-universal "meh" reviews. I can only guess that it's ahead of its time.

Marcdachamp
06-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Enter the Matrix. Yes, it's a mediocre game. But I loved the actual filmed cut scenes and the story. I was so bummed that Ghost (who had a really superb role) ended up with no lines in the films. His unspoken feelings for Trinity really resonated with me at the time.

Also, I just bought Fling Smash because it was $20 and came with a Wiimote Plus. It's not exceptional, but it definitely isn't awful, either.

Last year's Ghostbusters game.

These are not bad games at all. I own and love both.

Excited for the sequel (finally!).

Me too! It's one of the first 3DS games I've really wanted.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine on 360/PS3

I've heard great things about this game, and I actually just bought it. I'll be playing it after I beat Resident Evil 5.

Kefky
06-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Altered Beast on PS2

Wow. I don't think anybody's gonna top this one.

Well done, sir.

The Hodag
06-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Here's another: the Watchmen beat-'em-up game for XBox Arcade. You couldn't conceive of a greater blight upon Moore's graphic novel, but there I was beating up waves of thugs as Rorschach (surprisingly good graphics) and having a fine ol' time.

Foolish Mortal
06-15-2011, 06:58 AM
The Mortal Kombat games would fit here. They are not really not well-made games, but for whatever reason people love to play them.

I admit I get a few chuckles out of them.

Akira
06-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Matrix Path of Neo. But then again I love the Matrix sequels too, so I'm clearly not right in the head.

Bloodrayne 1 & 2
Ranma 1/2, Run Saber, and Peacekeepers on SNES are all great trash too

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Jinxworld

Masculine Todd
06-15-2011, 07:07 AM
http://media.strategywiki.org/images/thumb/2/2a/Metal_Arms_Glitch_in_the_System_Xbox_box.jpg/250px-Metal_Arms_Glitch_in_the_System_Xbox_box.jpg

Fourthman
06-15-2011, 07:07 AM
There are many of us that love Crackdown and many who don't, and honestly, the sequel feels to me like the game everyone who didn't love the first one was talking about. But goddamn if CD1 wasn't one of the best character evolving sandbox games I've ever played. Loved every minute of it, with high replay value, fun dicking around in multi, and a kickass soundtrack. I still go back every once in awhile.

Masculine Todd
06-15-2011, 07:08 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Urban_Chaos_Coverart.png

TheKraken
06-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Driver 3. Terrible GTA knock-off with tons of glitches and problems, BUT: You could go on a rampage like you do in GTA and then make a movie out of it, complete with a surprisingly diverse array of camera options, a few cheesy effects, slow motion, and so on, and you could save your little movies. I barely played the story mode at all, but I spent hours and hours making crazy videos. :)

Marcdachamp
06-15-2011, 07:13 AM
The Mortal Kombat games would fit here. They are not really not well-made games, but for whatever reason people love to play them.

I admit I get a few chuckles out of them.

I just finished Mortal Kombat vs. DCU and it was a damn fun game.

David Aspmo
06-15-2011, 08:55 AM
X-Men 3: The Official Videogame - Mostly just a beat-em-up with slightly stiff controls, but it had decent enough graphics and the mo-caps for the fighting really captured the look of the fighting in the movies (especially X-Men 2). It also had voice acting from the movie actors, and most of the storylines picked up from X-Men 2 rather than X-Men 3 (it even features Cummings as Nightcrawler as one of the three main playable characters), so that was better than it could have been.

Tuco
06-15-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd say the KOTOR sequel was pretty bad, though fun as all get out to play. Jeez what a terrible and confusing ending, with so much left unanswered. Wish they'd make a third KOTOR with the gameplay of the second one and the story quality of the first.

Kevin T Brown
06-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Well based on some of the reviews it's getting, I'm going to say Duke Nukem Forever.

I played it for about 3 hours last night and I loved every ass kicking moment of it.

Forrest
06-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and Justice League Heroes.

I might offend some by suggesting this but MUA was pretty mediocre if you ask me. Still, I had tons of fun with it. I liked Justice League Heroes even more but it was also every bit as mediocre.

Forrest
06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I just finished Mortal Kombat vs. DCU and it was a damn fun game.

Agreed. This was one of the few modern games where I actually wanted to watch the cinematic. The story was a lot of fun and I like that they gave explanations for how Catwoman and the Joker can get in a fistfight with Superman. While there are much better fighters out there, I did love how it wasn't just a tiresome combofest like other superhero fighting games. (I'm looking at you Marvel vs. Capcom. In general, you're better than MK vs DCU but dear god, you're a shameless combo whore.)

Kelly Tindall
06-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I played the PS1 Danger Girl game more than anyone should.

Oh man, that game was fucking terrible. Like Syphon Filter, but impossibly hard to play and ugly to look at.

I, too, played the shit out of it.

Kedd
06-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Indigo Prophesy. It had some interesting aspects to the game. Not everything was executed very well, but it was largely enjoyable. played on PS2.

The Human Target
06-15-2011, 10:11 AM

I might offend some by suggesting this but MUA was pretty mediocre if you ask me. Still, I had tons of fun with it. I liked Justice League Heroes even more but it was also every bit as mediocre.

Thats a good choice.

Not a good game at all.

And yet, I can fly around as Magneto while my buddy flies around as Green Goblin and we destroy shit.

Marcdachamp
06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Agreed. This was one of the few modern games where I actually wanted to watch the cinematic. The story was a lot of fun and I like that they gave explanations for how Catwoman and the Joker can get in a fistfight with Superman. While there are much better fighters out there, I did love how it wasn't just a tiresome combofest like other superhero fighting games. (I'm looking at you Marvel vs. Capcom. In general, you're better than MK vs DCU but dear god, you're a shameless combo whore.)

:lol: This is pretty much how I feel.

Humphrey_Lee
06-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Infamous I'd say. The game is glitchy as hell and the combat system and tasks are repetitive. But damn is the story fun and grinding on rails and power lines is fun... Plus Kessler is a pretty awesome villain.

That game isn't middling at all. Some twitchiness in an open world game of that size is to be expected. If we held games down review wise in that regard, the GTA series would be fucked. Between mechanics and story and the powers that game earned the reviews it got (where got it like an 86 on Metacritic methinks). Now, if you said Just Cause 2, that's another thing (which I loved for about two weeks myself before trading in).

Humphrey_Lee
06-15-2011, 07:42 PM
The DLC Minerva's Den is fantastic, though. Better ending than BioShock, too.

I hear that from everyone. Need to go back and play that. In fact, I could probably spend the rest of the summer playing DLC I never got to from Fallout New Vegas, AC Brotherhood, BS 2, Red Dead's Undead Nightmare etc etc...

BriRedfern
06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Here you are, and can't even be bothered to post in the hockey thread. :no:

Humphrey_Lee
06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Here you are, and can't even be bothered to post in the hockey thread. :no:

That's by design, as I would probably get myself banned again. Heh...

BriRedfern
06-15-2011, 07:49 PM
That's by design, as I would probably get myself banned again. Heh...

:) then stay away.

costello
06-15-2011, 08:19 PM
That one you got free from the PSN where you're a space ship and you destroy rocks. That thing is fun.

Super Stardust HD? That's middling? I adore that game and used to play it for hours. Are there others in the genre that are on the PS3 and are better?

costello
06-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Haze. You basically need one gun, but I like the yellow/black outfit. It isn't bad; there are just better games in the genre.

Lair. I like flying around on a dragon, even if I can't get past stage 3.

Motorstorm. People really don't like this game; I love it. It's Mad Max racing. What could be better?

Magic Sword

The Darkness. Bad reviews. I guess I don't play enough shooters.

Briomega
06-15-2011, 10:33 PM
The Bard's Tale on the Xbox. So many problems with that game but it was such a brilliant spoof of RPGs that it was worth suffering through the issues.

Humphrey_Lee
06-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Was Vigilante 8 considered middling? It was no Twisted Metal, but I love it anyway.

Masculine Todd
06-16-2011, 01:15 AM
I liked F.E.A.R. 2, despite being a mediocre successor to the original.

Akira
06-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Black on the original XBox still stands as possibly the most fun I've ever had with an FPS

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Jinxworld

Cactusakic
06-16-2011, 03:51 AM
Black on the original XBox still stands as possibly the most fun I've ever had with an FPS

I was always under the impression that Black was quite well regarded.

Same for F.E.A.R. 2, for that matter, though it certainly wasn't as praised as the original.

And both Infamous and Super Stardust HD are regarded as two of the better PS3 exclusive titles.

JKCarrier
06-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Sin Episodes: Emergence. Just a good old fashioned, meat 'n potatoes shooter. I played the hell out of that thing, and was severely bummed that they never followed up with more episodes.

McAfee
06-16-2011, 06:49 AM
I remember playing Trojan on Nintendo all the time. It was so easy to complete that I ended up seeing how fast I could finish. I think my best was right around 30 minutes. It was a bad game, but I just couldn't stay away.

CapnChaos
06-16-2011, 06:50 AM
DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball. :surrend:

Thanks to being able to program your own soundtrack, I had a couple of hundred songs set up and I would just get in grooves where I would play that damn thing for hours on end.

Masculine Todd
06-16-2011, 09:27 AM
I was always under the impression that Black was quite well regarded.

Same for F.E.A.R. 2, for that matter, though it certainly wasn't as praised as the original.

And both Infamous and Super Stardust HD are regarded as two of the better PS3 exclusive titles.

F.E.A.R. 2 ranks at 77% according to gamerankings.com, which is a steep fall for the upper 80s/lower 90s the first installment received. Regardless, I thought that, with a weaker story, the novelty of the freakout visions being all but gone and the slightly clunkier movement of the character, it's nothing more than a passable game that I happened to enjoy in spite of its mediocrity.

One_Sick_Triceratops
06-16-2011, 09:35 AM
My friend and I used to enjoy playing that old Fantastic Four game for the Playstation, it was a side scrolling beat em up with awful graphics, it was pretty bad.

The Hodag
06-16-2011, 09:52 AM

I had a great time with that game. I've actually played it through something like half a dozen times - quite a bit for a casual gamer like me.

SuperStick
06-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Hybrid Heaven on the N64

Marcdachamp
06-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Wheel of Fortune for N64 is terrible. There's like 10 puzzles. I just bought it for $10 because I got rid of it years ago and my friend and I want to play it again. :lol:

Forrest
06-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Spider-Man / X-Men - Arcade's Revenge on the SNES

http://www.videogamecentral.com/product_images/k/982/snes-used-spider-man-x-men-arcades-revenge__07753_std.jpg

GelfXIII
06-16-2011, 02:05 PM
minesweeper.

Forrest
06-16-2011, 02:07 PM
minesweeper.

Yes! Great choice!

How could I forget about Minesweeper?!

chazbot
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Trampoline Terror.

What? It was fun.

http://www.coolrom.com/screenshots/genesis/Trampoline%20Terror!%20%282%29.gif

ashland10
06-16-2011, 04:39 PM
i guess going by the reviews so far, Ill go with Alice Madness Returns. im only about two hours in it right now but im having fun. Some of the level design is frustrating(invisible walls) but it reminds me alot of PS2 platformers. Plus the Alice model is fantastic, they way they do her hair is so cool.

Hate_Prime
06-16-2011, 05:58 PM
A bunch of fighting games because I was so into the genre. Battle Arena Toshinden 1, 2 and 3, the first DOA where the cheap ai frustrated me so much to never return to the series, that Street Fighter based on the JCVD movie, a couple of unlicensed bootleg SF games on the NES, the never released though bootlegged Thrill Kill, the Power Rangers fighting game on genesis, plenty of imported games based off anime I was in to, plenty of forgotten arcade games that I wish I still remember the names of... and yet, I never had love for Mortal Kombat.

Recently, the action-sorta-rpg Alpha Protocol. I completed it twice simultaneously because I sorta liked it (Unlike something like say CoD4 which was only because I was like "That's it? Fucking rip off! Seriously, that's all there is?!.)

For a series of games, it's The Sims. I'm always suckered into every iteration and I'm really really into them for about a week max, then I feel like an asshole.

NeverWanderer
06-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Man, so many titles in this thread are bringing me back.

I have to separate my picks into two categories, though.

Games I Knew Were Weak and Enjoyed Them Anyway:
Scud: The Disposable Assassin on Sega Saturn (repetative gameplay, stiff controls, pixelation problems, and way too short, but it captured the insane spirit of the comic so beautifully that I was in heaven)
The Death and Return of Superman on Sega Genesis (it looked and played well enough, but it was pretty unambitious, and some might say way too easy... but it was a bright, colorful, fun superhero romp when I needed one)
X-Men/Spider-Man: Arcade's Revenge on Sega Genesis (ridiculously poor game, but it had Wolverine in it, and using his claws to cut through walls was part of the gameplay - I was sold)
X-Men on Sega Genesis (stiff controls, frustrating gameplay... but it was the X-Men. Nuff said)
The Punisher arcade and Sega Genesis (a pretty straight-forward side-scroller, but it was addictive as hell - and the second player played as Nick Fury!)

Games I Think Were Good, but Others Might Think Were Bad:
X-Men 2: Clone Wars on Sega Genesis (got so-so reviews when it came out, but I enjoyed the hell out of it -- an improvement in every way over the first game)
Toy Story on Sega Genesis (again, weak reviews, but I thought it was great fun)
Sonic 3 on Sega Genesis (some people call this the worst of the first three games - those people need a beating)

Supreme Convoy
06-16-2011, 06:53 PM
The Japanese Transformers Tatakai game. Terrible gameplay mechanics but it was great to play as G1 characters.

Humphrey_Lee
06-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Ooo! Ooo! This:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3413/205432-yo__noid_large.jpg

Forrest
06-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Ooo! Ooo! This:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3413/205432-yo__noid_large.jpg

I remember renting that game a few times and having way too much fun playing it.

Ben Rosen
06-16-2011, 09:10 PM
i feel like a lot of people ripped on "enter the matrix" but oh my god i've never had more fun.

S. Earl
06-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Mad Dog Mcree

The Hodag
06-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Toy Story on Sega Genesis (again, weak reviews, but I thought it was great fun)

This reminds me, I really enjoyed playing the Incredibles game on the PS2. I really liked how it took the movie and snuck in little scenes that expanded on the action for the sake of gameplay. You played most levels as Mr. Incredible, but several as Mrs. Incredible where you could do some cool attacks and swinging around with her stretchy powers. The Dash levels were like racing games with obstacles and were among the most frustrating, but damned if they didn't accomplish the feeling of being a super-fast little kid.

NeverWanderer
06-16-2011, 11:48 PM
This reminds me, I really enjoyed playing the Incredibles game on the PS2. I really liked how it took the movie and snuck in little scenes that expanded on the action for the sake of gameplay. You played most levels as Mr. Incredible, but several as Mrs. Incredible where you could do some cool attacks and swinging around with her stretchy powers. The Dash levels were like racing games with obstacles and were among the most frustrating, but damned if they didn't accomplish the feeling of being a super-fast little kid.

That IS a fun game! Some of the Mr Incredible levels are maddening, but I loved the Dash levels!

And, yeah, both Enter The Matrix AND The Path of Neo belong on my "Everyone ELSE Might Think They're Bad" list. I love both of those games to death.

The Funketeer
06-17-2011, 08:22 AM

I'll second Justice League Heroes. No skill required whatsoever but button mashing was never that much fun.