PDA

View Full Version : Cuban: Mavericks might not get title rings

Taxman
06-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Cuban: Mavericks might not get title rings (Cuban:%20Mavericks%20might%20not%20get%20title%20 rings)

Cuban: Mavericks might not get title rings

FS SOUTHWEST STAFF

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is one of the most forward-thinking owners in all of professional sports.

Cuban is always looking for new innovations to improve the game.

Could that also include starting a new trend when it comes to championship jewelry?

While being interviewed during NBA TV's postgame show by host Matt Winer, Cuban was asked just how big of a ring he was planning to get for his players.

Cuban quickly put some doubt into those plans.

"I'll tell you something, I might not get rings," Cuban said. "Rings are old school."

Analyst Chris Webber was surprised by the answer, but Cuban compared it to Webber's days at Michigan.

"It's like the Fab Five; everybody had short shorts, then they didn't have short shorts," Cuban said.

Webber asked Cuban that if he wasn't planning on the customary rings that players have received for decades for winning the title, what exactly was Cuban going to do?

Cuban smiled and kept that answer close to the vest, much like he has all of his comments throughout these playoffs. Cuban smiled and nodded, but he did not say what was up his sleeve.

It is obvious, however, that Cuban has put some thought into how he would celebrate, should this day ever come.

"You've seen it before, there's guys who pick up the sweats and towels and they have these big, blingy rings, and I'm like, "Rings are done," Cuban said.

"It's time to take it to the next level."

Taxman
06-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Perplexing.

Bracelets might be kinda cutting edge to him. I think it is only done in poker, but they have done it a long time.

The crowns while ridiculous would be an extra poke at LeBron.

If he went with medals, he could make matching silver ones for the Heat.

Funny, but I am sure those last two would draw fines.

Jason Terry says that the team will have rings if he has to buy them himself.

Jason California
06-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Diamond studded ipad 2.

McAfee
06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Cock rings.

yeamon
06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm thinking Cuban gives them all guest spots on "Art Mann Presents".

dasNdanger
06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Crowns?

das

capntightpants
06-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Championship belts would be the shit. I vote championship belts because that's what I want. I want to be able to strut around my living room with the strap on my shoulder playing The Rock's theme song.

TIP
06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Castro Hats.

yeamon
06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Rodeo belt buckles.

Karl Malone would have loved that shit.

batmanbooyah
06-14-2011, 11:15 AM
He's just gonna give everyone a billion dollar blow job

SteveFlack
06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Everyone's getting a fresh $20 bill.

Stupendous Man
06-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Championships haven't always been celebrated with rings

Championship bling that tops rings

One time I was reading a copy of GQ or Esquire or some magazine like that, and it had one of those lists of style dos and don'ts. And somewhere in the middle of the list was this:

"Pinky rings look so cool -- in a Scorsese film."

I thought of that line a few weeks ago when the Giants got their World Series rings, just as I do whenever a team in any sport gets its championship rings these days. Because as teams keep attempting to outdo each other's championship bling (bigger, heavier, pricier, more diamond-encrusted, etc.), the designs are looking increasingly grotesque. They've basically become Scorcese-esque pinky rings, no matter which finger they're worn on.

Maybe that's why championship rings feel so played out nowadays. Even with the biggest, Scorcese-est design, there's only so much gold and so many diamonds you can cram onto a ring (well, maybe), only so many ways to depict your logo in jeweled form, only so many ways you can inscribe "Pride" or "Honor" on the shank.

In short: I'm suffering from ring fatigue. The ring has lost its zing. I'm bored of the rings.

Fortunately, there are other kinds of sports bling out there -- or at least there used to be.

Keep reading here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/110505_championship_bling)

Including this bad boy

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5186/5653754679_cf10fe437f_o.jpg

Foolish Mortal
06-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Most championship rings tend to be large, gaudy and almost never get worn except on special occasions.

I think something like an inscribed platinum watch or bracelet would be better.

chazbot
06-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I think something similar to the WSOP bracelets, but I also got to hope that's in addition to the rings.

dasNdanger
How's about tattoos?

das

batmanbooyah
Championships haven't always been celebrated with rings

Keep reading here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/110505_championship_bling)

Including this bad boy

I'm on my phone so I can't tell what in the world that is

Fourthman
06-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Prince Alberts on their bell ends.

Foolish Mortal
06-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm on my phone so I can't tell what in the world that is

Looks like a big-ass belt buckle for the '55 AL champion Yankees.

Gregory
06-14-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.celtics247.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ben_wallace_245x325.jpg

chazbot
06-14-2011, 11:40 AM
There is already this:

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?v=20110613101947&img=%2Fphoto%2F2011%2F0613%2Fdal_mavstrophy15_800. jpg

A.Huerta
06-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Diamond cowboy boots

Taxman
06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Most championship rings tend to be large, gaudy and almost never get worn except on special occasions.

I think something like an inscribed platinum watch or bracelet would be better.Gaudy as the rings are, the belts are worse.

Briomega
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
It's Texas, it's supposed to be a belt buckle or truck nuts.

BriRedfern
06-14-2011, 12:35 PM

I think something like an inscribed platinum watch or bracelet would be better.

I think custom - blingy Rolexes would be the shit.

Kedd
06-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Give 'em the rings and if you want to do something extra and guady, do that on the side.

Wigner's Friend
06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Vasectomies?

Rian Fike
06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Serious question: What would the media and you all be saying if the Heat had won and made this statement? Something about thinking they are above everyone else? A lot worse than that, right? Seriously.

Foolish Mortal
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Doing something different equals "thinking they're above everyone else"?

Henry!
06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Doing something different equals "thinking they're above everyone else"?

Rian is just a really hateful person, is all.

Daniel K.
06-14-2011, 03:01 PM

It's this damn culture of hate.

Daniel K.
06-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I think custom - blingy Rolexes would be the shit.

The more I think about it this sounds great. I'd love to see the final design.

Well that or awesome championship belts. :)

Buk Was Right
06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Serious question: What would the media and you all be saying if the Heat had won and made this statement? Something about thinking they are above everyone else? A lot worse than that, right? Seriously.

Serious question: Not everything happens in a LeBron/Not LeBron black and white world vacuum. Context matters.

Wait, that wasn't a question at all. Whatthefuckever.

RickLM
06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Sometimes breaking tradition is a profound display of arrogance. Give the players the rings like every other NBA champ.

Taxman
06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Doing something different equals "thinking they're above everyone else"?No, having a special to announce where you are going to sign, guaranteeing seven championship with a smoke machine and a fork lift, making fun of your opponent for being sick, and calling out the fans for having fewer resources than you does that.

Think real hard now. If this wasn't seen as somewhat fucked up, would there be a thread?

Thank you!

Finally, someone who can handle the "truth".

capntightpants
06-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Is the Dallas Mavericks the Culture of Hate? Stop hatin, man!!

Rian Fike
06-14-2011, 04:26 PM
If this shoe was on the other foot, the title of the thread would be...

Mark Cuban is a dick.

And it would get worse from there.

Buk Was Right
06-14-2011, 04:43 PM
If this shoe was on the other foot, the title of the thread would be...

Mark Cuban is a dick.

And it would get worse from there.

Mark Cuban IS a dick.

Everyone KNOWS that Mark Cuban is a dick. This is not even open for debate.

We fucking get it dude. LeBron is the poor abused child who just wants to play basketball and cant get a fair shake. Take it back tot he Culture of Hate thread.

Jesus christ I've never seen a poster with such a single minded agenda. AND I'M INCLUDING RAVENGREGORY!

Briomega
06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Mark Cuban IS a dick.

We fucking get it dude. LeBron is the poor abused child who just wants to play basketball and cant get a fair shake. Take it back tot he Culture of Hate thread.

Jesus christ I've never seen a poster with such a single minded agenda. AND I'M INCLUDING RAVENGREGORY!

Great. Now he's gonna appear.

Great job Buk.

Buk Was Right
06-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Great. Now he's gonna appear.

Great job Buk.

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Rich Johnston, BEETLEJUICE!

OH GOD NOW I'VE GONE AND RIPPED A HOLE IN REALITY.

Taxman
06-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Mark Cuban IS a dick.

Jesus christ I've never seen a poster with such a single minded agenda. AND I'M INCLUDING RAVENGREGORY!:lol:

No one even know who the owner of the Heat is.

Buk Was Right
06-14-2011, 04:48 PM
:lol:

No one even know who the owner of the Heat is.

I'm still not even convinced that they're a real basketball team. I mean I know that Alonzo Mourning was hanging out SOMEWHERE for a bunch of years, but other than that it's all a little fuzzy.

Urgur the Gurgur
06-14-2011, 04:52 PM

No one even know who the owner of the heat is.

EXACTLY!!! Culture of HATE!!!!

Taxman
06-14-2011, 04:53 PM
EXACTLY!!! Culture of HATE!!!!Culture of if a pro sports owner in a nationally known entity, he is probably a douche.

Buk Was Right
06-14-2011, 04:54 PM
And let's be real, Cuban is going to choose whichever option is the biggest FUCK YOU to David Stern.

Taxman
06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
If King of Mars had started this thread the title would be...

Mark Cuban is a dick.fixed

Briomega
06-14-2011, 05:02 PM
And let's be real, Cuban is going to choose whichever option is the biggest FUCK YOU to David Stern.

Actually that's what he has chosen. A giant gold penis statue to put out in front of the arena with "Fuck You Stern" in diamonds down the shaft.

Rian Fike
06-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Why are there only 11 votes? Is the culture of hate shrinking?

c. page
06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Actually that's what he has chosen. A giant gold penis statue to put out in front of the arena with "Fuck You Stern" in diamonds down the shaft.

If he did that, I'd be perfectly okay with it. Fuck David Stern.

Rian Fike
06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
hehe...

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?w=1aq89&storyId=6661738&i=TOP

Plastic rings with fake diamonds. Perfect.

dEnny!
06-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Championship belts would be the shit. I vote championship belts because that's what I want. I want to be able to strut around my living room with the strap on my shoulder playing The Rock's theme song.

You do realize you won't be receiving one of the Maverick's Championship belts right? :mistrust:

BriRedfern
06-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Mark Cuban IS a dick.

Is Rian involved with a Meth head?

Henry!
06-14-2011, 06:26 PM
You do realize you won't be receiving one of the Maverick's Championship belts right? :mistrust:

We- we're not?

Taxman
06-14-2011, 07:03 PM
You do realize you won't be receiving one of the Maverick's Championship belts right? :mistrust:Won't be given one at least.

I know that when the Saints won the Super Bowl, Tiffany sold all kinda special crap including rings.

I had a friend who worked part time in the Angels ticket office when they one and even he was given a ring by the team.

capntightpants
06-14-2011, 08:52 PM

...you do realize that I am Jason Terry, right?

Ryudo
06-15-2011, 05:15 AM
Culture of trying to buy a championship and FAILING!!!

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Rich Johnston, BEETLEJUICE!

OH GOD NOW I'VE GONE AND RIPPED A HOLE IN REALITY.

:rofl:

afroloq
06-15-2011, 05:20 AM
Championship Gold Teeth.

No? Too Ghetto?

dasNdanger
06-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Championship Gold Teeth.

No? Too Ghetto?

I was thinking too Captain Jack Sparrow. ;)

das

Daniel K.
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
I had a friend who worked part time in the Angels ticket office when they one and even he was given a ring by the team.

I need to work for a championship team. Now.

dasNdanger
06-15-2011, 09:10 PM
I got to wear a Phillies World Series ring tonight. The thing was HUGE!!! Full of diamonds, solid and heavy. But HUGE! Totally impractical to wear...it took up half my hand!

das

Taxman
06-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I need to work for a championship team. Now.And there was one dude who got one of these, his was a second tier ring. There were three tiers of rings, my friend got the lowest one. This other guy, I think he was a computer guy, turned around and tried to sell his on eBay within a month of getting it. That got him fired.

Daniel K.
06-17-2011, 01:34 PM
And there was one dude who got one of these, his was a second tier ring. There were three tiers of rings, my friend got the lowest one. This other guy, I think he was a computer guy, turned around and tried to sell his on eBay within a month of getting it. That got him fired.

That's such a cool thing to have I don't understand one, why you'd want to get rid of it and two, why you think you wouldn't get caught selling such a unique item on freaking eBay.

Taxman
07-09-2011, 02:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Bazooka-sends-the-Dallas-Mavericks-some-champion?urn=nba-wp6220

Bazooka sends the Dallas Mavericks some championship Ring Pops
By Kelly Dwyer

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/4f/4fc629176c64edcf0c914826c308a147/bazooka_sends_the_dallas_mavericks_some_championsh ip_ring_pops.jpg

Somewhat-famously, last June, Mark Cuban jokingly dismissed the idea (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Your-championship-Mavs-want-their-rings-Mark-Cu?urn=nba-wp5077) of giving his championship Dallas Mavericks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/dal/) their championship rings. Cuban called the idea behind handing out the traditional championship rings "old school," and mused aloud as to what sort of show-offy prize he would give his team.

Now, after the NBA owners locked out their players, Cuban can't even re-tweet (http://twitter.com/#%21/mcuban) a celebration photo from Dirk Nowitzki's (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3252/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3252/news) Twitter account (http://twitter.com/#%21/swish41) without facing a million-dollar fine (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Could-NBA-teams-get-a-1-million-fine-just-for-a?urn=nba-wp6008), much less hand out some prized jewelry. That's where Bazooka steps in, sporting all sorts of sugar-laden bling.

Bazooka is sending the team a series of Maverick-blue candy rings. Via CBS Sports (http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/msn/07/07/11/Candy-company-sends-rings-to-Mavs/landing_mavericks.html?blockID=537324&feedID=3742&):

"Bazooka Candy Brands, the iconic confectionary company and manufacturer of Ring Pops, believes that the Dallas Mavericks should be rewarded for all their hard work and their NBA Finals win," the company said in a statement.
"That is why they will be stepping in and saving the day, creating Swarovski-encrusted Ring Pops in the team colors of Blue and White for the team to wear to celebrate their feat.
The Ring Pops will be shipped to the team shortly."

Your move, Mark.

ImYrWoodbury
07-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I just realized that they usually hand out rings on the first home game of the regular season. The suspense is killing me and it could go on indefinitely. What's it gonna be, Mark? Championship Belts? Please say it's Championship Belts.

Foolish Mortal
07-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I just realized that they usually hand out rings on the first home game of the regular season. The suspense is killing me and it could go on indefinitely. What's it gonna be, Mark? Championship Belts? Please say it's Championship Belts.
Hopefully there will be a season.

dasNdanger
07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
I wanna ring pop!

das

Scaramouche
07-09-2011, 05:10 PM
In light of recent findings, I think they should be made of salt.