PDA

View Full Version : Tagging Comic Creators on Facebook...

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-14-2011, 08:38 AM
...is hands down one the biggest faux pas an aspiring creator can make, right?

I follow several writers and artists and every now and then I see some aspiring creator tagging an professional writer/artist or editor on their page of art. Instant douche chills.

Has anyone ever received any positive attention from this?!?

It reminds me of when I saw someone interrupt Jeph Loeb mid-conversation to try and show off their portfolio. Manners people! MANNERS!

DaveCummings
06-14-2011, 08:43 AM
...is hands down one the biggest faux pas an aspiring creator can make, right?

I follow several writers and artists and every now and then I see some aspiring creator tagging an professional writer/artist or editor on their page of art. Instant douche chills.

Has anyone ever received any positive attention from this?!?

It reminds me of when I saw someone interrupt Jeph Loeb mid-conversation to try and show off their portfolio. Manners people! MANNERS!

I know what you mean. All it does is piss off the professional on Facebook and tends to make them leave the site altogether.

SteveFlack
06-14-2011, 08:44 AM
The best is that the work is always, always, always awful, and usually, done by a foreigner with a not so good grasp on the English language.

Spidey616
06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Pretty much. Creators tend to un-friend people who tag them in their art

PhilipClark
06-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Grounds for instant un-friending for me.

Mattman
06-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I totally want to call these people out but you can't comment on the tag unless you're friends with the tagger. But yeah, it's fucking lame.

BriRedfern
06-14-2011, 09:52 AM
The internet. How does it work?

DaveCummings
06-14-2011, 09:54 AM
The internet. How does it work?

That sounds like a job for ICP to find out.

Ben
06-14-2011, 10:01 AM
You certainly don't want to disturb the delicate geniuses!

Kedd
06-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Pretty much. Creators tend to un-friend people who tag them in their art
Is that why Jason Aaron unfriend me? :(

Seriously though, Jason Aaron totally unfriended me and I haven't tagged him in anything. What's that all about yo?

gaspar
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
It's really annoying. I'm not famous and it irritates me when FB "Friends" tag me in stuff that's not related, just to get me to look. If it's a photo of me or something that I really should be tagged in, then that's cool. But if it's just some random crap that you tag all of your friends in then you're being pretty douchey. I can't even imagine being a famous artist / writer who has this happen regularly...ugh.

Masculine Todd
06-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Given that I'm famed Bendis Board poster Masculine Todd, I get this often, but I take it in stride, because I'm well-known and handsome.

SteveFlack
06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm going to befriend a bunch of comic book creators, and tag them in a "tag your friends based on their personality" picture. Watch out Matt Fraction, you're going to be the "boy crazy one"!

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Someone tagged Ryan Ottley and and Jim Valentino (among others) today...Ottley asked the guy to please un-tag him. The guy then responded that he was doing it as a way to promote his work and get it seen by new people. Ottley then said he didn't like people tagging him as a way of billboarding their own work.

Kedd
06-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Given that I'm famed Bendis Board poster Masculine Todd, I get this often, but I take it in stride, because I'm well-known and handsome.
It's true...you are an incredibly handsome guy.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-14-2011, 10:44 AM
I went back to the thread, the guy deleted Ottley's two requests.

He also tagged Vin Disel, Barack Obama and Kings of Leon. He deleted some, but not all, of the comic talent.

Mego Stretch Hulk
06-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Just send them messages. You would be amazed at all the responses I get.

Marcdachamp
06-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm going to befriend a bunch of comic book creators, and tag them in a "tag your friends based on their personality" picture. Watch out Matt Fraction, you're going to be the "boy crazy one"!

Fuck, you've been making me laugh today. :lol:

SteveFlack
06-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Fuck, you've been making me laugh today. :lol:

Can I reference you when my boss asks me why I didn't get anything done today?

Marcdachamp
06-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Can I reference you when my boss asks me why I didn't get anything done today?

Only if you do the same. :lol:

whazisname
06-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Is that why Jason Aaron unfriend me? :(

Seriously though, Jason Aaron totally unfriended me and I haven't tagged him in anything. What's that all about yo?

He deleted his account then started an all-new account and now only accepts personal friends. If you are a fan he has a Facebook Fan page.

Taxman
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Wait a minute. Are you saying that someone would draw something and then tag a professional in that piece? Or is it posing the creator's work and tagging them?

Matthew Brown
06-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I tag Kedd every time I make a post about going to the bathroom and making a sissy.

Buk Was Right
06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Wait a minute. Are you saying that someone would draw something and then tag a professional in that piece? Or is it posing the creator's work and tagging them?

The idea is that if you upload a picture of your art and then tag a famous comic creator it will show up in THEIR feed (depending on their settings probably) and thus be exposed to all of the comic pros fans and shit.

Taxman
06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
The idea is that if you upload a picture of your art and then tag a famous comic creator it will show up in THEIR feed (depending on their settings probably) and thus be exposed to all of the comic pros fans and shit.That's some first rate gutter dragging dochebaggery right there.

Treacle
06-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Not only is it a pretty stupid thing to do, it violates Facebook's TOS and if you get reported can get you booted off their service.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I tried to politely inform the guy it was bad business. He deleted my comment, along with Ryan Ottley's requests to un-tag him. Then the tagger sent me a friend request. Yeah, no thanks.

TheTravis!
06-15-2011, 06:40 AM
I like to post pictures of my naked ass and then tag comic creators, because it forces them to LOOK AT MY ASS!!!

The eyes of the industry are on my ass.

Alexander Hamilton
06-15-2011, 06:53 AM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. It leads to auto-unfriending.