PDA

View Full Version : Android or iPad? Comixology or Graphicly?

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-14-2011, 06:58 AM
I want to buy a tablet. Bad. So now I'm grappling with what to buy...

Of the Android Tablets I'm really liking the Asus Transformer. It's (relatively) cheap and does what I want. I also like the idea of the separate keyboard expansion so I can hop on google docs for writing.

Marvel comics are only available through Graphicly on Android. I haven't really bothered with Graphicly too much. I have an iPod touch and have really grown to like the comixology experience.

I also like the fact that my smartphone is an Android so there really wouldn't be any disconnect, i.e. I could share my Google Listen, Music and Docs no problem.

Then there is the iPad 2. I don't have much experience with Apple products. I love my iPod touch. And I love the across-the-board dependability of the iPad; if it comes out on the iPad, it works on ALL iPads. The disparity of specs between Android products is a little disconcerting. I don't want to buy a Android tablet and then face a problem similar to the some phones being capable of running Netflix and some can't. I wouldn't be able to run flash or connect to all of my google apps but still...that dependability is a big plus. And Apple just makes damn fine products.

And finally, Graphicly versus Comixology. Which do you prefer? Like I said, I haven't really bothered with Graphicly. Do they offer weekly .99 specials like Comixology?

Bonus question - Can Marvel's Digital Comics Online be accessed via Android tablets?

Greygor
06-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Buy the cheapest one that does everything that you need.

As to Marvel, from what I've heard you need the next gen Android OS which isn't on all Tablets yet. But I'm willing to be corrected on this as it's not my area of expertise.

Heroic Age Moe
06-14-2011, 08:14 AM
I buy marvel comics via the Marvel app and then read them in Comixiology's app.

Also Comixology sells Marvel. Even have .99cent Marvel Monday's.

Jim Schnobrich
06-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Bonus question - Can Marvel's Digital Comics Online be accessed via Android tablets?

Android does flash, right ? I guess it would. I've been using screen sharing software to read Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited on my iPad. It works great.

To answer the original question, I would go with iPad.

Cth
06-14-2011, 08:33 AM
I want to buy a tablet. Bad. So now I'm grappling with what to buy...

Of the Android Tablets I'm really liking the Asus Transformer. It's (relatively) cheap and does what I want. I also like the idea of the separate keyboard expansion so I can hop on google docs for writing.

Marvel comics are only available through Graphicly on Android. I haven't really bothered with Graphicly too much. I have an iPod touch and have really grown to like the comixology experience.

I also like the fact that my smartphone is an Android so there really wouldn't be any disconnect, i.e. I could share my Google Listen, Music and Docs no problem.

Then there is the iPad 2. I don't have much experience with Apple products. I love my iPod touch. And I love the across-the-board dependability of the iPad; if it comes out on the iPad, it works on ALL iPads. The disparity of specs between Android products is a little disconcerting. I don't want to buy a Android tablet and then face a problem similar to the some phones being capable of running Netflix and some can't. I wouldn't be able to run flash or connect to all of my google apps but still...that dependability is a big plus. And Apple just makes damn fine products.

And finally, Graphicly versus Comixology. Which do you prefer? Like I said, I haven't really bothered with Graphicly. Do they offer weekly .99 specials like Comixology?

I don't have any experience with Android, but from what I understand, if you're going to jailbreak it, that's your main option right now as the iPad 2 isn't jailbreakable and may not be until Fall. Of course, you could go with the original iPad, but the newer version has some improvements that are worth the price.

Anyways, I was posting to say that they have keyboard expansions for the iPad 2 as well. I've debated on getting one, but at $99 it'll be a future purchase.

As far as "across the board dependability" I wouldn't be so quick to say that. 2G ipod Touches started becoming incompatible when more and more things got released for 4G/Retina. There's a handful of apps that perform a lot better on ipad 2 versus the original, and that's only going to become more of a problem, IMO.

But yeah if Android can do DCO, that'd be worth it alone if you had a subscription.

Forrest
06-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Marvel comics are only available through Graphicly on Android.

I buy marvel comics via the Marvel app and then read them in Comixiology's app.

Also Comixology sells Marvel. Even have .99cent Marvel Monday's.

...so, can people buy Marvel comics on standard (i.e. not jail broken) iPads?

Jim Schnobrich
06-14-2011, 09:02 AM
...so, can people buy Marvel comics on standard (i.e. not jail broken) iPads?

You can buy Marvel books through the Marvel app or through the Comixilogy app.

Forrest
06-14-2011, 09:07 AM
You can buy Marvel books through the Marvel app or through the Comixilogy app.

Cool.

When I can afford it, I think my comic reading is going to shift over to digital in the near future and at that time, I'll probably buy a tablet. Since 90% of what I'd want to do with a tablet is read comics, I want to start looking into this now and figure out which product will be the best for that purpose. (E.g. I don't want to buy an iPad only to learn that I can't read Marvel comics on it.)

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Cool.

When I can afford it, I think my comic reading is going to shift over to digital in the near future and at that time, I'll probably buy a tablet. Since 90% of what I'd want to do with a tablet is read comics, I want to start looking into this now and figure out which product will be the best for that purpose. (E.g. I don't want to buy an iPad only to learn that I can't read Marvel comics on it.)

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Try to get some research done! :)

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Despite never really being an Apple person, I'm leaning towards the iPad now for one big reason - the marvel comixology app.

Of ALL of the technological differences between the myriad of Android tablets and the iPad letting ONE APP be a deciding factor is kinda' dumb. I goofed around with the Graphicly app on my phone last night and just don't like it. Not to mention I compared content between the two (I have an iPod touch) and there are various freebies, movie tie-ins, etc. not found on the Graphicly app.

Bonus functionality is important but at the end of the day, it's comics that's driving this purchase so I want it to be as effortless and easy as possible.

If Marvel had a nicely designed comixology app for android it would an easy choice...but alas...

Note: I did notice that an awful lot of Marvel comics are 1.49 on the Graphicly app. But I also noticed Marvel's current digital offerings are lackluster. DC is doing MUCH better in this respect.

Urgur the Gurgur
06-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Despite never really being an Apple person, I'm leaning towards the iPad now for one big reason - the marvel comixology app.

f ALL of the technological differences between the myriad of Android tablets and the iPad letting ONE APP be a deciding factor is kinda' dumb. I goofed around with the Graphicly app on my phone last night and just don't like it. Not to mention I compared content between the two (I have an iPod touch) and there are various freebies, movie tie-ins, etc. not found on the Graphicly app.

Bonus functionality is important but at the end of the day, it's comics that's driving this purchase so I want it to be as effortless and easy as possible.

I wouldn't let that sway my decision. I'd buy the android and use DCV to view marvel scans.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-15-2011, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't let that sway my decision. I'd buy the android and use DCV to view marvel scans.

I'm not sure what you're implying but I don't want scans, I want to buy the comics.

EDIT: Thanks Garth!

Garth
06-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure what you're inferring but I don't want scans, I want to buy the comics.

Implying!!

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Implying!!

Whoops! What you said! ;)

Urgur the Gurgur
06-15-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure what you're inferring but I don't want scans, I want to buy the comics.

Implying!!

Not implying you should do anything illegal. You can buy the floppies and make the scans yourself until Marvel gets its act together on the android app market. If immediate access to a quality Marvel app is worth the extra two or three hundred bucks to you, then go for it. It's not my primary concern where tablets are concerned though.

McGill
06-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Ipad and comixology.