PDA

View Full Version : [comics] DC Comics has ‘decided to rest’ the Justice Society

Phantom Eagle
06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
From CBR (http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/06/dan-didio-dc-comics-has-decided-to-rest-the-justice-society/):

June 13, 2011 @ 10:59 AM by Kevin Melrose

One of the many questions surrounding DC Comics’ line-wide renumbering centered on the absence of Justice Society of America, a title that in recent years had undergone its own high-profile reboot and spawned two spinoff series. The Justice Society, with a sprawling membership that includes Golden Age characters (or their namesakes) like The Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern and Hourman, reached deep into DC, and comic-book, history, forming the very first team of superheroes.

But Justice Society wasn’t among the 52 books rolled out by the publisher last week. Neither, for that matter, was Power Girl, whose title character has been closely associated with the JSA since her debut in 1976. And the solicitation for Mister Terrific #1, featuring a new take on “the world’s third-smartest man” — and two-time chairman of the team — makes no mention of the group. Then came the unveiling on Friday of Action Comics #1 which, as Robot 6′s J.K. Parkin pointed out, refers to “a world that doesn’t trust their first Super Hero.”

If all of that isn’t enough to signal the end, or non-existence, of the world’s first team of superheroes, official word came over the weekend from Co-Publisher Dan DiDio, who wrote on his Facebook page, “As for JSA, we have decided to rest this concept while we devote our attention on the launch of the three new Justice League series. As for other characters and series not part of the initial 52, there are plenty of stories to be told, and we’re just getting started.”

As with any demise in superhero comics, this one is probably only temporary (heck, the JSA itself has been put to “rest,” only to be resurrected, a handful of times over the past 60 years). However, when the publisher is pushing a “modern” and “contemporary” take on its superhero universe, grappling with graying characters so firmly rooted in World War II will undoubtedly prove problematic.

Probably more folks over at the Gailbo will care about this, but I wondered if anyone else saw this today.

Roger
06-13-2011, 06:52 PM
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jason California
06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Could be that when they are reintroduced they will be from another time line or the like. This way they can recreate the Earth 1 & 2 crossover feel they did before Crisis.

The Hodag
06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
It's a good idea. If you want the current superheroes to feel potent for a new generation, I think it works best if they represent the FIRST superheroes. It's certainly a popular tradition in film, where character origins nearly always makes out that they're the first superheroes to exist (or in more recent Marvel outings, part of the first wave of heroes).

It just gives them an added quality of primacy.

Kingsmythe
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Hate this. DC is undoing a lot of the elements of their rich history that made me a fan.

Ashwin Pande
06-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Boo.

Slewo.O
06-13-2011, 11:51 PM
It's a good idea. If you want the current superheroes to feel potent for a new generation, I think it works best if they represent the FIRST superheroes. It's certainly a popular tradition in film, where character origins nearly always makes out that they're the first superheroes to exist (or in more recent Marvel outings, part of the first wave of heroes).

Exactly, and considering how JSA has gone so badly it's best to just let them rest it up and bring it back in style.

Zack_Hunter
06-14-2011, 12:04 AM
screw this, by a lot :(

Kefky
06-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Eh, DC can bring them back whenever they want to. I don't see the problem.

The Hodag
06-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Eh, DC can bring them back whenever they want to. I don't see the problem.

Well, I gather they're essentially being written out of continuity, so bringing them back can't happen quite so much on a whim. It could happen, but I bet not unless a few years go by and it's clear this entire initiative is a failure - which I suspect it won't be.

Although there's always loopholes. Like, what if the JSA was a super-secret thing in World War II, with only a handful of public sighting - nothing that would stick - and the team primarily operating overseas as part of the war effort. Would allow DC to do a flashback series telling their adventures, then, if they want to contrive a story that gets them into modern times somehow (cryogenics, time travel, whatever), they could do modern day adventures with them.

dougmac
06-14-2011, 12:23 AM

Well, I gather they're essentially being written out of continuity, so bringing them back can't happen quite so much on a whim. It could happen, but I bet not unless a few years go by and it's clear this entire initiative is a failure - which I suspect it won't be.

Although there's always loopholes. Like, what if the JSA was a super-secret thing in World War II, with only a handful of public sighting - nothing that would stick - and the team primarily operating overseas as part of the war effort. Would allow DC to do a flashback series telling their adventures, then, if they want to contrive a story that gets them into modern times somehow (cryogenics, time travel, whatever), they could do modern day adventures with them.

This is the big problem with the DCNu. They are scrapping a lot of stuff but not everything. I read over on CBR or Newsarama today that Dick Grayson is still going to have been a Robin and then Batman before becoming Nightwing. How the hell does that happen with a Justice League full of heroes just starting out? How will they bring back the JSA at some point when they are, as you said, basically writing them out of existence? Are they going to make Hal and Guy and John and Kyle all the same age because they have to de-age Hal for JL; and if so, why does Earth have four Green Lanterns from the same generation at the same time?
If they were going to go for it, they should have gone all in or just stayed out instead.

hamgravy
06-14-2011, 02:31 AM
This is the big problem with the DCNu. They are scrapping a lot of stuff but not everything. I read over on CBR or Newsarama today that Dick Grayson is still going to have been a Robin and then Batman before becoming Nightwing. How the hell does that happen with a Justice League full of heroes just starting out? How will they bring back the JSA at some point when they are, as you said, basically writing them out of existence? Are they going to make Hal and Guy and John and Kyle all the same age because they have to de-age Hal for JL; and if so, why does Earth have four Green Lanterns from the same generation at the same time?
If they were going to go for it, they should have gone all in or just stayed out instead.

The first arc of the Justice League takes place "five years ago" in the new mythology and Action Comics seems to be the starting point of the Modern Era. I'm pretty confident that your GL questions will be answered in a similar fashion. Plus, that franchise is still a Top 10 seller. No need to fix it.

I've never been a huge DC fan so the loss isn't severe for me. But, JSA was the book I read most consistently and I'll always have those stories. If the company prefers to streamline, set a new timeline with the JLA as their team zero (like the FF for Marvel), then this is the best possible decision. I'm all for it as long as they stick the landing and keep to their conviction. Eyes forward, do not turn back.

Ben
06-14-2011, 02:39 AM
If they were going to go for it, they should have gone all in or just stayed out instead.I think you're a little confused. They've said that the first story arcs of JLA and Superman will take place about five years in the past. The stories in the present will not be about them "just starting out."

I agree with you, though, that this will make it confusing to determine which back issues did and did not happen, which was the major problem with the original Crisis. Unless they've decided ahead of time that they're not going to bother worrying about continuity problems that come from this, we should see some sort of Zero Hour fix in a few years.

Ryudo
06-14-2011, 02:55 AM
Boo, Princess Bride style

Kevin T Brown
06-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Just do the JSA on Earth-2 during WWII.

That is all.

TIP
06-14-2011, 03:55 AM
It's probably not a bad idea to give them a break considering that the series (the last two series) went from Best Team Book out there to its current status of HoweverYouWanttoReferToIt. I'll miss it while it's gone but this isn't something/a concept/history that's going to be ignored or written off (IMO) in the grand scheme of things.

modungo
06-14-2011, 04:47 AM
I'm ok with this. They will totally reintroduce them in a couple of years. They'll be from an alternate earth leaving room for Supes to be earths first costumed hero again, which is kinda awesome. Of the many things fucked in this reboot, this ain't one of em.

Artie Pink
06-14-2011, 04:50 AM
I agree it's better to have NO JSA book than a BAD JSA book. I just don't understand why they are drawing the line here, when so many of their other properties are getting shitty books come September.

Jim T.
06-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Lame.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-14-2011, 05:52 AM
I love the characters but when was the last time the JSA had any sort of buzz? Once John's left I bailed and from what I hear, I dodged a pretty stinky Willingham run. Marc Guggenheim's run, from what I've read, suffered from a lack of stable artists. Let the series rest. Launch it big.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-14-2011, 05:54 AM
I agree it's better to have NO JSA book than a BAD JSA book. I just don't understand why they are drawing the line here, when so many of their other properties are getting shitty books come September.

Exactly.

I can see where the mythological "new readers" would be confused by JLA / JSA teams. Makes sense from a marketing p.o.v.

Now why do they have 12 bat-related books? BatWing?! Really?!

The Governor
06-14-2011, 05:55 AM
It could happen, but I bet not unless a few years go by and it's clear this entire initiative is a failure - which I suspect it won't be.

I'm not as convinced as you, I'm trying to decide how long it'll be before they want to take everything back to the way it was, some writers just won't be able to resist taking the story in the same direction it used to go out of sheer nostalgia.

The example that always comes to mind for me is Krypto the Superdog, when he was written out of continuity I was quite glad, so I was disappointed to see him/it written back into the book a few years later... actually I don't know for sure, I rememeber seeing some shitty dog with a cape on a cover of one of the Super books and just completely avoided it :D

TIP
06-14-2011, 06:01 AM
They really dropped the ball(s) on JSA once Johns departed.
And don't get me started on the second JSA title. Ugh.

Artie Pink
06-14-2011, 06:03 AM
I also don't understand this - if you're getting rid of the legacy characters - Jay/Flash, Alan/GL (and I haven't seen them, so I'm guessing they're gone), why wouldn't you just give them the big WWII sendoff in-continuity that they didn't really get. Leave a legacy of the JSA from 70 years ago that you can flashback to - they lived, they fought, some were killed, some retired and grew old and died, they inspired - instead of just not having them at all.

DC has never really known what to do with these legacy characters. Limbo, rejuvenated... Here's a chance to have them so far in the past that they really can only exist in the past.

artimoff
06-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Once Morrison's Multiversity comes out, the JSA will probabily get their book back, but it'll be set on earth 2.

TIP
06-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Once Morrison's Multiversity comes out, the JSA will probabily get their book back, but it'll be set on earth 2.

This I would be cool with.

The Robot Lord of Tokyo
06-14-2011, 06:21 AM
I loved Johns runs on JSA. He took what was a mess and untapped niche and made it into something you cared about. He not only honored the original heros but also introduced the next generations of legacy heros.

But I had to drop JSA after he left and the title split into two series. It became a muddied mess trying to shoe horn every character into the mix.

I am glad the currents series have ended but wish they would find a better solution then shelving the characters. The character development was so good with most of these characters that it's a shame it's being wasted or changed.

Generic Poster
06-14-2011, 06:24 AM

In other words, the exact same problem we had with COIE 30 years ago.

Generic Poster
06-14-2011, 06:35 AM
I think you're a little confused. They've said that the first story arcs of JLA and Superman will take place about five years in the past. The stories in the present will not be about them "just starting out."

Yeah, but it was my impression that the "five years ago" stories were going to be year one or two stories, meaning that in the present, the heroes will have been active 5 or 6 years or so. For characters like GL and Batman, particularly, cramming the history they're apparently keeping with the Rainbow Corps and Damien Wayne, etc. will be tough.

Shade
06-14-2011, 06:36 AM

I read that article, I didn't get the impression that he was never Nightwing. I do agree they should have just rebooted completely instead of picking and choosing what to change.

hamgravy
06-14-2011, 06:43 AM
I also don't understand this - if you're getting rid of the legacy characters - Jay/Flash, Alan/GL (and I haven't seen them, so I'm guessing they're gone), why wouldn't you just give them the big WWII sendoff in-continuity that they didn't really get. Leave a legacy of the JSA from 70 years ago that you can flashback to - they lived, they fought, some were killed, some retired and grew old and died, they inspired - instead of just not having them at all.

DC has never really known what to do with these legacy characters. Limbo, rejuvenated... Here's a chance to have them so far in the past that they really can only exist in the past.

If I were to read their logic, many of the characters are "Legacy" characters to the company's prominent heroes with little or no actual ties to the characters they want to push to the forefront. Plus, WW2 is the sort of hard date to a timeline they want to avoid. Superman is the first hero, "forever five years ago." Even "so far in the past" has a set timeline if tied to a historical event. Notice that Nick Fury doesn't appear to be a part of the Howling Commandos in the Cap movie. It means less to Cap's story if another character is unaged and lives in the present day.

There could have been a covert WW2 JSA and we can eventually read that story but not in this first salvo. There's merit to legacy characters but, as a fresh start, there's even more merit to an arbitrary time line for serial fiction.

hamgravy
06-14-2011, 06:44 AM
I read that article, I didn't get the impression that he was never Nightwing. I do agree they should have just rebooted completely instead of picking and choosing what to change.

If it ain't broke...

We still don't know the resolution to the timeline of all of the Robins and Earth Lanterns but there will be one.

dougmac
06-15-2011, 01:08 AM
I think you're a little confused. They've said that the first story arcs of JLA and Superman will take place about five years in the past. The stories in the present will not be about them "just starting out."

I agree with you, though, that this will make it confusing to determine which back issues did and did not happen, which was the major problem with the original Crisis. Unless they've decided ahead of time that they're not going to bother worrying about continuity problems that come from this, we should see some sort of Zero Hour fix in a few years.

I knew the Morrison Superman book is being set in the past, but thought the JL one was more recent past, which still doesnt leave a lot of time for all the neccessary developments to occur.

exactly

Yeah, but it was my impression that the "five years ago" stories were going to be year one or two stories, meaning that in the present, the heroes will have been active 5 or 6 years or so. For characters like GL and Batman, particularly, cramming the history they're apparently keeping with the Rainbow Corps and Damien Wayne, etc. will be tough.
exactly again

Even if he had been Nightwing before, the fact that he was Robin, then Nightwing, then Batman, and now Nightwing again makes it even worse.

dougmac
06-15-2011, 01:15 AM
The first arc of the Justice League takes place "five years ago" in the new mythology and Action Comics seems to be the starting point of the Modern Era. I'm pretty confident that your GL questions will be answered in a similar fashion. Plus, that franchise is still a Top 10 seller. No need to fix it.

I get that the Bat books and GL are big sellers (and have movie franchises too), but if you're going to reboot, then reboot all the way. Kyle was my favorite GL, Wally was my favorite Flash, but if you're rebooting with good stories I understand. You cant be one foot in, one foot out though. GL has a ton of history that they keep, but Wonder Woman and Flash have a clean slate despite sharing some of GL's history is just asking for problems.

Slewo.O
06-15-2011, 01:18 AM
I get that the Bat books and GL are big sellers (and have movie franchises too), but if you're going to reboot, then reboot all the way. Kyle was my favorite GL, Wally was my favorite Flash, but if you're rebooting with good stories I understand. You cant be one foot in, one foot out though. GL has a ton of history that they keep, but Wonder Woman and Flash have a clean slate despite sharing some of GL's history is just asking for problems.

We'll see won't we? It doesn't look like Flash has a clean slate in the sense WW does.o I'm hoping they keep Wally. For now the original Teen Titans seem to be safely existing. Considering Bart is still Kid Flash I'd infer from there Wally is still the Flash of Keystone city.

As for the continuity, it's pretty easy to wash off the Wonder Woman stuff in BN I guess. How do you play with the Firestorm stuff I couldn't tell ua.