PDA

View Full Version : Worst day ever.

xanderharris
06-13-2011, 02:10 PM
I dont like to bring personal stuff on the board...but Im at work and numb....my mom had a lump on her neck and they did a biopsy and i just got a call from her and they have diagnosed her with cancer.

Its thyroid cancer. and shes a wreck...and I cant hold myself together...so if I could have some postiive thoughts my way that would be swell.

Briomega
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Sorry to hear it Xander. Try to stay positive and keep your mom's spirits up. Will send good thoughts your way.

AndrewG
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Sorry to hear that man, but for your mom's sake be positive. Thoughts and prayers with you both

Girlfriend In A Coma
06-13-2011, 02:36 PM
So sorry to hear that. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to your Mom and to you.

Jason California
06-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh man. I am so sorry.

BriRedfern
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
It is amazing what they can do now. Don't freak out just because it is the C word. My uncle just had a tumor removed from his pituitary gland last week. He had gone completely blind in one eye, and had non-invasive surgery and left the hospital in two days, seeing from both of his eyes now.

Stay positive, the alternative doesn't help anyone.

ImYrWoodbury
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Sorry man, that sucks. I'll be praying for you guys.

BriRedfern
06-13-2011, 02:46 PM
And go home. Now. Don't stay at work freaking out.

Caley Tibbittz
06-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Modern medical science is pretty amazing; she's never had a better fighting chance than right now. Be there for her, and it'll be even better. Do some fun stuff together. I'm sure we're all pulling for you guys.

xanderharris
06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Thank you all this means more than you know.

Professor Oreo
06-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Best of luck to you and your mom.

Matt Jay
06-13-2011, 03:09 PM
My sister was diagnosed with thyroid cancer about fourteen years ago. Had surgery, went away for awhile, then came back, now it's been 100% gone for at least the last 5 years. For what its worth, its definitely not the worst type of cancer to have. Hang in there and stay positive.

dasNdanger
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
So sorry to hear, but try to keep calm. Thyroid cancer is highly treatable...one of the easiest to tackle. I've known a couple women who have had it, and they're just fine. Of course, I'm not a doctor and I don't know your mom's case, but hopefully she'll get over this just fine. That doesn't mean there won't be stressful times and worries, so hang in there, but I do think there is good reason to keep a positive attitude in all of this. Still, first chance you get give mum a hug and tell her you love her - she needs it, and you need it, too.

I wish you all the best.

das

xanderharris
06-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Best of luck to you and your mom.

My sister was diagnosed with thyroid cancer about fourteen years ago. Had surgery, went away for awhile, then came back, now it's been 100% gone for at least the last 5 years. For what its worth, its definitely not the worst type of cancer to have. Hang in there and stay positive.

So sorry to hear, but try to keep calm. Thyroid cancer is highly treatable...one of the easiest to tackle. I've known a couple women who have had it, and they're just fine. Of course, I'm not a doctor and I don't know your mom's case, but hopefully she'll get over this just fine. That doesn't mean there won't be stressful times and worries, so hang in there, but I do think there is good reason to keep a positive attitude in all of this. Still, first chance you get give mum a hug and tell her you love her - she needs it, and you need it, too.

I wish you all the best.

das

Thank you all so much :)

Captain Howdy
06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
sorry to hear this ,dude.cancer is probably one of the scariest things to hear from a doctor.i understand you're freaked(i've been in this situation)just try not to show it.best of luck to your mom.hope everything turns out for the best.

PhilipClark
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Very sorry to hear this news. Hang in there. Sending you much positivity.

schizorabbit
06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Fuck, dude.

I'd focus on this...

I wish you all the best.

das

My prayers are with you.

ZombieSpeedball
06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear that man. I'm sure she'll be okay.

The Doctor
06-13-2011, 04:38 PM
As I said my thoughts are with you and if you need to talk fire me a PM:)

costello
06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah, be strong for the people who need you to be strong, but when you're alone and you have some time, cry like a little bitch. It doesn't negate the positive, strong vibes, but it can be a great pressure relief.

THWIP!
06-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear that man. Stay strong for your mom, I hope everything turns out for the best.

xanderharris
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
sorry to hear this ,dude.cancer is probably one of the scariest things to hear from a doctor.i understand you're freaked(i've been in this situation)just try not to show it.best of luck to your mom.hope everything turns out for the best.

Very sorry to hear this news. Hang in there. Sending you much positivity.

Fuck, dude.

I'd focus on this...

My prayers are with you.

Sorry to hear that man. I'm sure she'll be okay.

As I said my thoughts are with you and if you need to talk fire me a PM:)

Yeah, be strong for the people who need you to be strong, but when you're alone and you have some time, cry like a little bitch. It doesn't negate the positive, strong vibes, but it can be a great pressure relief.

I'm sorry to hear that man. Stay strong for your mom, I hope everything turns out for the best.

Thank you all. You are really helping me make it through the initial shock. Trying to distract myself for now. My mom is doing ok for now as well.

Generic Poster
06-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Ooof. I'll be thinking about you and your mom.

Jew Mafia
06-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Sorry to hear this man. I hope everything works out for the best. Stay strong.

The Hodag
06-13-2011, 09:31 PM
That's a helluva rough day for you and your mom. I'm glad all the Benbo peeps have been here to remind you of all the good possibilities that exist, and all I can add is that my dad had over ten good years of living beyond what the doctors originally predicted when he got lung cancer.

Stay strong, my friend.

jamestolliver
06-13-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm so sorry. Hugs.

A.Huerta
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Hope the best for you and your family. Stay positive.

XXXenophile
06-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Any positive thoughts you need your way from me, you got em.

JohnBehling
06-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Positive thoughts & well wishes.

Pia Guerra
06-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Gonna add to the chorus of people who know people who have this. A very good friend of ours this week got diagnosed with a lump on her thyroid but they caught it early and doctor's don't expect she'll even need chemo or radiation. It's going to be a challenge, she's gearing up for surgery and staying positive. Best thing for you to do for your mom is be there when you can and just do helpful stuff. Keep it light and cheerful and listen to her when she wants to talk about it.

Ashwin Pande
06-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Ah geez. Sorry to hear about it dude. Stay positive and hope for the best.

Marc Lombardi
06-14-2011, 01:47 AM
My father fought off cancer twice. My grandfather fought it off twice. As others have said, Cancer is a scary thing but we're living in an era where modern medicine has the potential to kick Cancer's ass. Be strong, be there for your mother and be sure to enjoy life along with her. It's not going to be easy, but this is not an insurmountable challenge.

Peter McLeod
06-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Never feel bad about bringing personal shit to the Benbo dude! (Lord knows I've done that more than a few times myself)

Thinking of you and your mum.

Everyone saying that it's so much more treatable now is right - I have a mate working as part of a research team, and there's a study up for peer revue that shows new ways of applying chemo and radiation therapy (based on the body's white cell growth cycle) that look like they increase the efficacy of these treatments to over 80%!

Love your mum, be strong for her, and come here to scream out your frustration - burden shared :)

Marcdachamp
06-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Never feel bad about bringing personal shit to the Benbo dude! (Lord knows I've done that more than a few times myself)

Exactly. Some people here can get a little smarmy about stuff, but this place is a very good place to vent sometimes. We have some very awesome people here.

I really wish your family the best. As others have pointed out, it's not untreatable and science makes such great strides every single day. Stay positive. Sometimes, the family needs someone tough to stay as the backbone, no matter how hard it may seem. Be strong, be tough, but most importantly, be positive. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mister Mets
06-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Shit. I hope for the best for your family.

Forrest
06-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Damn, that's rough Xander. Sorry to hear.

For what it's worth, my step mother had thyroid cancer years ago and with the help of her doctors, she beat it. I think she has to take some daily medication now but nothing too extreme or expensive. Thyroid cancer can very often be fully treatable.

I wish your mom the best. Stay positive!

xanderharris
06-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Ooof. I'll be thinking about you and your mom.

Sorry to hear this man. I hope everything works out for the best. Stay strong.

That's a helluva rough day for you and your mom. I'm glad all the Benbo peeps have been here to remind you of all the good possibilities that exist, and all I can add is that my dad had over ten good years of living beyond what the doctors originally predicted when he got lung cancer.

Stay strong, my friend.

I'm so sorry. Hugs.

Hope the best for you and your family. Stay positive.

Any positive thoughts you need your way from me, you got em.

Positive thoughts & well wishes.

Gonna add to the chorus of people who know people who have this. A very good friend of ours this week got diagnosed with a lump on her thyroid but they caught it early and doctor's don't expect she'll even need chemo or radiation. It's going to be a challenge, she's gearing up for surgery and staying positive. Best thing for you to do for your mom is be there when you can and just do helpful stuff. Keep it light and cheerful and listen to her when she wants to talk about it.

Ah geez. Sorry to hear about it dude. Stay positive and hope for the best.

My father fought off cancer twice. My grandfather fought it off twice. As others have said, Cancer is a scary thing but we're living in an era where modern medicine has the potential to kick Cancer's ass. Be strong, be there for your mother and be sure to enjoy life along with her. It's not going to be easy, but this is not an insurmountable challenge.

Thinking of you and your mum.

Everyone saying that it's so much more treatable now is right - I have a mate working as part of a research team, and there's a study up for peer revue that shows new ways of applying chemo and radiation therapy (based on the body's white cell growth cycle) that look like they increase the efficacy of these treatments to over 80%!

Love your mum, be strong for her, and come here to scream out your frustration - burden shared :)

Exactly. Some people here can get a little smarmy about stuff, but this place is a very good place to vent sometimes. We have some very awesome people here.

I really wish your family the best. As others have pointed out, it's not untreatable and science makes such great strides every single day. Stay positive. Sometimes, the family needs someone tough to stay as the backbone, no matter how hard it may seem. Be strong, be tough, but most importantly, be positive. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Shit. I hope for the best for your family.

Damn, that's rough Xander. Sorry to hear.

For what it's worth, my step mother had thyroid cancer years ago and with the help of her doctors, she beat it. I think she has to take some daily medication now but nothing too extreme or expensive. Thyroid cancer can very often be fully treatable.

I wish your mom the best. Stay positive!

Thank you all for the positive and uplifting stories and thoughts. Its meant the world to me honestly. much love to all of you.

cPol
06-15-2011, 03:42 AM
Chin up, man. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2006 and am still kicking around today, and as far as we know, I am cancer free. Seeing as how you're from Westford, MA, I'm pretty sure your mom will end up going to see the exact same doctors I did. They'll fix her up right.

dEnny!
06-15-2011, 04:04 AM
I will be praying for your mom and of course you. I'm sorry to hear you all have to go through this.