PDA

View Full Version : How DC picked their new creative teams...

SteveFlack
06-13-2011, 12:18 PM
interesting post over at Blog@Newsarama

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/06/13/48-hours-to-reimagine-the-dcu-unless-you-knew-bob-harras-back-when/

As more and more details about the DC relaunch leak out, one of the things that’s emerging is how unevenly the creative teams for the book seem to have been selected. Both Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell have talked about being taken out for lunch and offered books by Jim Lee and Bob Harras, but other creators were seemingly asked to write titles, not necessarily knowing that other creators were being asked the very same thing for the very same books (Apparently, having previously worked for Harras is a good thing in the new DC). But if that already seems a little unfair, Kelly Sue DeConnick sheds a little more light on the pitch process, blogging about DC’s requests for her to pitch:

The first was to pitch on an ongoing. I declined because I was hip deep in work at the time and the turnaround they needed was just impossible for me. (I can’t remember exactly, but I think it was a day or two for the pitch and then a week and half for the first script–which would have been doable if I could have dropped everything and started immediately, but I had Castle pages due, another project you don’t know about yet, and Supergirl still on my plate!)

A day or two for the pitch? A week and a half for the first script? Assuming that DeConnick wasn’t an especially late invite to the whole process – which is, admittedly, a potential jump – that’s an amazingly short amount of time to get things done. Cue sinking feeling about just how well-planned the reborn DCU will end up being…

So you are a writer who hasn't written anything of notice in years? You're hired, sight unseen. Up & Coming talent? Please jump through hoops.

RickLM
06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
This is like when Pete Campbell and Ken Cosgrove were both named Head of Accounts and had to battle it out.

Also, I'm still unclear why everyone is so excited about this, when it seems exactly like the lousy One Year Later gimmick of five years ago.

A.Huerta
06-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Why the rush for change?