06-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Where the magic happens

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/gelf13/Guygelf_editting.jpg

Gregory
06-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Where's the fake moon landing props?

GelfXIII
06-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I lost my bet to my co-worker. I bet him the first comment about this pic was going to be about hte wolverine pic.

Gregory
06-13-2011, 08:19 AM
I lost my bet to my co-worker. I bet him the first comment about this pic was going to be about hte wolverine pic.

I didn't see it. I did see the WTC poster.

Foolish Mortal
06-13-2011, 08:22 AM
That photo is just begging for photoshop.

GelfXIII
06-13-2011, 08:49 AM
That photo is just begging for photoshop.

Hey, as long as no one draws a cock in my mouth... go to town.

/famous last words

Foolish Mortal
06-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey, as long as no one draws a cock in my mouth... go to town.

/famous last words
:lol:

Buk Was Right
06-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Sadly my favorite NASA videos and promos still come from outside NASA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXkuo1yihjs

You job still looks pretty fucking cool though.

GelfXIII
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
My shuttle doc premiere's at 8 pm tonight and will no doubt he aired a 187 times this weekend. I wouldn't wathc it though, unless you can get NASA TV HD on your system. They're butchering it with a center cut. and they mixed it to mono after my cut by using a mechanical limiter.

Yeah, I have a bad attitude.

GelfXIII
07-01-2011, 05:12 PM
... could be worse....

GelfXIII
07-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Ahhh... final credits. My favorite part. Plus I got to sneak in some Basil Poulidouris music. :D

GelfXIII
07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Here it is. At least here it isn't center cut.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=98893091

GelfXIII
07-03-2011, 01:49 PM
My favorite tweet so far:
William Shatner did a great job narrating this fine NASA documentary of the the Space Shuttle Program. http://1.usa.gov/mDItTd

If they only knew how much work went into making his read passable! :lol:

MACK!
07-03-2011, 01:54 PM
My shuttle doc premiere's at 8 pm tonight and will no doubt he aired a 187 times this weekend. I wouldn't wathc it though, unless you can get NASA TV HD on your system. They're butchering it with a center cut. and they mixed it to mono after my cut by using a mechanical limiter.

Yeah, I have a bad attitude.

Did you use the 187 times because that is the police call for a homicide and they are butchering your cut?

GelfXIII
07-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Did you use the 187 times because that is the police call for a homicide and they are butchering your cut?

Not consciously, but the number did pop into my mind for some reason. lol

MACK!
07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Cool job, Gelf. Thanks for sharing.
My uncle did his entire career at NASA from college to recent retirement. He gave me some really great tours of the place & he designed some stuff for the Space Shuttle.

Foolish Mortal
07-03-2011, 02:31 PM
So, Gelf, does NASA have any special ceremonies planned for the last shuttle launch? Or are they just going to treat it like business as usual?

GelfXIII
07-03-2011, 03:57 PM
So, Gelf, does NASA have any special ceremonies planned for the last shuttle launch? Or are they just going to treat it like business as usual?

There is a whole week full of ceremonies and such going on down at the cape and at Houston. My work is mostly done until after the landing when I'm supposed to add an STS-135 section to the Shuttle Doc and then re-master it for Blu-ray and DVD production.

GelfXIII
07-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Cool job, Gelf. Thanks for sharing.
My uncle did his entire career at NASA from college to recent retirement. He gave me some really great tours of the place & he designed some stuff for the Space Shuttle.

Where was he based? I'm at HQ in DC, but I've spent a fair amount of time at KSC and JSC.

GelfXIII
07-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Here is the long awaited penultimate version (there is to be an added section after the last shuttle mission). In HD on youtube. Enjoy, and feel free to make glowing comments, especially about the editing, the glorious glorious editing. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvaG0xDdP8g&feature=player_embedded

MACK!
07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Where was he based? I'm at HQ in DC, but I've spent a fair amount of time at KSC and JSC.

Houston

GelfXIII
07-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Houston

JSC is a very cool place. Did you get to go in the Building with all the mock-ups? I say again, it's a very cool place, but loud. Hard to shoot interviews in there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/gelf13/PA110025.jpg

GelfXIII
07-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Did one of you guys post on youtube as Duke19090? If so, thanks. If not, WHAT'S keeping you guys?!? :lol:

Foolish Mortal
07-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Just finished it, Gelf. Bravo!

I especially liked the test pilot segments because that's something we don't get to see a lot of. And I don't think people really realize how fucking dangerous that stuff is. And of course, I teared up during the Challenger and Columbia parts. :(

I think you guys did a bang up job. Congratulations.

Above all else, we can't quit on space research and exploration. It's what we do. It's what our country is about. Challenging new frontiers.

GelfXIII
07-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Glad you liked it!

GelfXIII
08-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Here's a kick in the pants from the old folks at NASA. All our IT department services and equipment are provided by a contracting company, currently ODIN which is owned by Lockheed Martin. Odin supplies not only support in the form of on-site personnel, phone support, software etc, but also supplies the hardware for all of NASA. That means every desktop computer for every employee BELONGS to Lockheed Martin. All of the computerized Mac-based edit systems (My AVID for example), all the broadcasting servers and routers. We're not talking about the orbital control computers, or the launch systems, but just about everything short of that.

Well, ODIN dun did lost the contract. So they're packing up their toys and going home. ALL THEIR TOYS. That means that every computer here at NASA HQ is supposed to be "Refreshed". The new company, HP, is supposed to supply all new computers, all new software: all new shit. Here's a catch: They dont have anywhere near enough computers for everyone, they dont have the right kind of Macs to replace TV editing equipment, nor the manpower, expertise or funds to get it done. This is going to be a clusterfuck on an epic scale. I got an email today saying they were going to replace my Mac Pro tower 8 core with 64 GB of ram and 8 TB of onboard storage with, get this: an iMac. Really? Y'Think?

Does the word "FUBAR" mean anything to these people?

I may very well be out of a job next week, not because of budgets or shuttle cancellation but because I dont have any equipment to work on.

AAARRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! :frustrat:

GelfXIII
08-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I probably shouldn't have posted that.

GelfXIII
05-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Make sure to tune in to NASA TV today at 5:30 PM for our Aurora 7 mini documentary. 11 minutes of pure historical thrills! :D (Oh, it'll also be on youtube and nasa.gov and all over after that)

GelfXIII
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
http://youtu.be/6xqOUWjLHao

Here it is. Enjoy.:smug:

GelfXIII
05-23-2012, 05:48 AM
No? No interest? *sigh*

Dave S.
05-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Once it became clear that space exploration wasn't going to be like sci fi, the public lost interest. I mean, how worked up can we get about experiments about ants in zero-G? We got to the moon, realized we couldn't live there or make any money off of it, and it's all been downhill from there.

GelfXIII
05-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Yeah, but this is OLD silver space suit era NASA. Back when it was all cool James Bond 'n shit.

Ryudo
05-23-2012, 06:02 AM
Here's a kick in the pants from the old folks at NASA. All our IT department services and equipment are provided by a contracting company, currently ODIN which is owned by Lockheed Martin. Odin supplies not only support in the form of on-site personnel, phone support, software etc, but also supplies the hardware for all of NASA. That means every desktop computer for every employee BELONGS to Lockheed Martin. All of the computerized Mac-based edit systems (My AVID for example), all the broadcasting servers and routers. We're not talking about the orbital control computers, or the launch systems, but just about everything short of that.

Well, ODIN dun did lost the contract. So they're packing up their toys and going home. ALL THEIR TOYS. That means that every computer here at NASA HQ is supposed to be "Refreshed". The new company, HP, is supposed to supply all new computers, all new software: all new shit. Here's a catch: They dont have anywhere near enough computers for everyone, they dont have the right kind of Macs to replace TV editing equipment, nor the manpower, expertise or funds to get it done. This is going to be a clusterfuck on an epic scale. I got an email today saying they were going to replace my Mac Pro tower 8 core with 64 GB of ram and 8 TB of onboard storage with, get this: an iMac. Really? Y'Think?

Does the word "FUBAR" mean anything to these people?

I may very well be out of a job next week, not because of budgets or shuttle cancellation but because I dont have any equipment to work on.

AAARRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! :frustrat:

So have you learned to work around the equipment?

Foolish Mortal
05-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Once it became clear that space exploration wasn't going to be like sci fi, the public lost interest. I mean, how worked up can we get about experiments about ants in zero-G? We got to the moon, realized we couldn't live there or make any money off of it, and it's all been downhill from there.

People want everything to be like '2001: A Space Odyssey', but we're never going to get to that point in space exploration unless we're willing to take the baby steps first.

GelfXIII
05-23-2012, 06:30 AM
So have you learned to work around the equipment?

In a moment of freak rationality, they decided not to take my gear away... because they had nothing to replace it with. The downside is that they now refuse to give me any IT support, because 'it's not their equipment', but that's fine because I have admin rights, which they say I wont have when they replace the stuff.

Ryudo
05-23-2012, 06:49 AM
In a moment of freak rationality, they decided not to take my gear away... because they had nothing to replace it with. The downside is that they now refuse to give me any IT support, because 'it's not their equipment', but that's fine because I have admin rights, which they say I wont have when they replace the stuff.

Well, hopefully it will give you a good long life. There's always an Apple store nearby. :p

Ryudo
05-23-2012, 06:51 AM
People want everything to be like '2001: A Space Odyssey', but we're never going to get to that point in space exploration unless we're willing to take the baby steps first.

Which is why essentially taking away the backing to create a new manned spacecraft in-house kind of puzzles me. I can see retiring the shuttles, but not without some plan in place.

Foolish Mortal
05-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Which is why essentially taking away the backing to create a new manned spacecraft in-house kind of puzzles me. I can see retiring the shuttles, but not without some plan in place.

Because there's no public enthusiasm for it. Not enough people care about it right now. This is why the shuttle replacement plans have been pushed over into private industry.

GelfXIII
05-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Because there's no public enthusiasm for it. Not enough people care about it right now. This is why the shuttle replacement plans have been pushed over into private industry.

Unfortunately it's not the plans which have gone to the private industry, just the work. That means the planning is still being done, for the most part, by NASA. If you really want to let private industry think freely and creatively then NASA shouldn't be tying their hands so much. It's really not much different than it was in the Apollo days in that regard. NASA Planned, Lockheed Martin (and others) built. Only this time there's just much less money being spent.

GelfXIII
07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
New shit from EDIT 2

For immediate release:

RELEASE: 12-258

WILLIAM SHATNER AND WIL WHEATON NARRATE NEW NASA MARS CURIOSITY ROVER VIDEO

WASHINGTON -- As NASA prepares for next week's Curiosity rover landing on Mars, William Shatner and Wil Wheaton share this thrilling story of NASA's hardest planetary science mission to date. The video titled, "Grand Entrance," guides viewers from entry through descent, and after landing.

The video will be used at events around the country and shared on the web and social media. The goal is to educate the public about Curiosity and build awareness about the landing at 1:31 a.m. EDT, Aug. 6.

Shatner and Wheaton each provide their own unique narration to the video allowing a wider range of audiences to be reached. The actors are icons to sci-fi fans worldwide through their work on Star Trek. Shatner remains a pop culture phenomenon with more than 50 years of stage, television and film experience, while Wheaton not only is a successful actor, but a writer who possesses a huge social media fan base.

"Shatner and Wheaton are mavericks in inspiring film, TV and social media audiences about space," said Bert Ulrich, NASA's multimedia liaison for film and TV collaborations. "NASA is thrilled to have them explain a difficult landing sequence in accessible terms that can be understood by many. Thanks to their generous support, Mars exploration will reach Tweeters, Trekkies and beyond!"

After a successful launch in November 2011, Curiosity is close to reaching its destination on the Martian surface. However, the process from entering the atmosphere to landing safely is no easy task. Curiosity has seven minutes to go from 13,000 mph to a soft landing. If a single step is unsuccessful, the mission could fail. This process has been dubbed as the "seven minutes of terror."

To view the "Grand Entrance" videos, visit:

http://go.nasa.gov/N7eV2N

http://go.nasa.gov/N7f8D8 <http://go.nasa.gov/N7f8D8>

For more information about NASA's Mars Curiosity rover and its mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/mars

-end-

I did not write the release, btw. I know better than using the word "trekkies". Youtube is still pending.

GelfXIII
07-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Youtube links:
Shatner:

http://youtu.be/nttnecwEku8

GelfXIII
07-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Wheaton:

http://youtu.be/7-I1CfgIyNU

Yes, they are both the same (more or less), but I still like the Wheaton one better.

GelfXIII
07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Is it weird that I'm more excited by being mentioned on io9 than almost any other reference? lol

http://io9.com/this-is-awesome/

Buk Was Right
07-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Is it weird that I'm more excited by being mentioned on io9 than almost any other reference? lol

http://io9.com/this-is-awesome/

This has to be second only to the time I called out your name during sex.

GelfXIII
07-31-2012, 09:58 AM
This has to be second only to the time I called out your name during sex.

Can we put that video on youtube? ;)

Dave S.
07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
When is this airing? Also, what channel is NASA on Fios?

GelfXIII
07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
When is this airing? Also, what channel is NASA on Fios?

It's been airing pretty consistently since yesterday. I dont know what channel on FIOS, but they're available from the nasa.gov site and youtube.

So far we're getting pretty good word of mouth.

GelfXIII
01-08-2014, 08:39 AM
From an Orbital Sciences Press release today:
January 8, 2014

Early this morning the Antares launch team decided to scrub today's launch attempt due to an unusually high level of space radiation that exceeded by a considerable margin the constraints imposed on the mission to ensure the rocket's electronic systems are not impacted by a harsh radiation environment. The solar flux activity that occurred late yesterday afternoon has had the result of increasing the level of radiation beyond what the Antares engineering team was monitoring earlier in the day. Overnight, Orbital engineers who are experts in the field ran numerous models to ensure that all possibilities to preserve the launch were examined. However, due to significantly elevated flux levels, the Antares team decided to postpone the launch to spend the day further examining the potential effects of the space radiation on the rocket's avionics suite. Cygnus would not be affected by the solar event.

Today, in consultation with NASA and outside experts in the field of "space weather," Orbital will continue to monitor the levels of space radiation with a goal of setting a new launch date as soon as possible. If we are able to launch on Thursday, the launch targeted launch time would be 1:07 p.m. (EST), with Cygnus arriving at the ISS Sunday morning, January 12.

Not included in this PR, We knew on Monday it was getting pushed back, 'cause it's really fucking cold at Wallops this week.

Matt Jay
01-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Do you ever have to deal with people that think you just pretend we went to space like the guy that Buzz Aldrin punched in the face?

GelfXIII
01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Do you ever have to deal with people that think you just pretend we went to space like the guy that Buzz Aldrin punched in the face?

Only in youtube comments section. When we give tours of our facilities and we get to our studio, I usually say something like "And here's where we faked the moon landing..." Its good for a laugh, especially since our building didn't exist in 1969.

GelfXIII
05-08-2014, 07:13 AM
I may not care much for her music, but this was one FUN person to hang out with. Kellie Pickler (of American Idol fame) doing a NASA PSA.

http://youtu.be/zSNRqQ4IDWA

GelfXIII
05-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Next Tuesday is the White house Science fair.

http://media.giphy.com/media/fqIBaMWI7m7O8/giphy.gif

GelfXIII
07-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Our video for the NASA Panel at SDCC. It's purty.

http://youtu.be/xwhnXJdJEk8

The Governor
07-25-2014, 12:37 AM
I watch these videos and it reminds me that one of the most disappointing things of my lifetime is how unambitious we've been in our exploration of space, it feels to me like we're 30 years behind where we could be had the impetus of the Moon landings been used to push further. Instead we retreated to near Earth orbit for far too long...

It makes me wish I'd been born a few decades later, as I suspect I won't live to see the really cool stuff...

GelfXIII
07-25-2014, 04:30 AM
I watch these videos and it reminds me that one of the most disappointing things of my lifetime is how unambitious we've been in our exploration of space, it feels to me like we're 30 years behind where we could be had the impetus of the Moon landings been used to push further. Instead we retreated to near Earth orbit for far too long...

It makes me wish I'd been born a few decades later, as I suspect I won't live to see the really cool stuff...

I'm so glad my little inspirational video could cheer you right up! :D

The Governor
07-25-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm so glad my little inspirational video could cheer you right up! :D

:lol: That did read like a suicide note didn't it?