PDA

View Full Version : Tree of Life is the worst movie I've seen this year

Evan the Shaggy
06-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I'll save you ten bucks. Just turn on your computer, let the screen saver run, and every ten minutes have someone whisper something "profound" in your ear like "Where is God?" or "Boy I hate my father!"

Also dinosaurs for some reason.

Kirblar
06-12-2011, 11:12 AM
My dad and I walked out of "A Thin Red Line". Not surprised in the least.

KSChris
06-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Malick's films, more than anything else really, are a case of you either love 'em or hate 'em with absolutely no middle ground.

Personally, I love 'em. I saw Tree of Life yesterday and thought it was one of his best yet.

Roman Noodles
06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I'll save you ten bucks. Just turn on your computer, let the screen saver run, and every ten minutes have someone whisper something "profound" in your ear like "Where is God?" or "Boy I hate my father!"

:lol:

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
06-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I absolutely loved it.

Evan the Shaggy
06-12-2011, 11:41 AM
It felt like a college filmmaker had somehow gotten Sean Penn and Brad Pitt to be in his movie.

Oh my God, the scene where Sean Penn stands in front of the open door that goes to nowhere for five minutes was just cringeworthy.

If you want symbolism, you can't just throw six million images at the wall and hope one sticks!

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I spent four years surrounded by college filmmakers. None of them ever made anything that beautiful. Not my favorite Malick film, not all of it works, but I love many of its parts.

Also, all of the coming of age stuff and the boys' relationship with the father was very VERY familiar to me. I connected to it.

But if you hate it, you hate it. There's not going to be any convincing you otherwise. Nor do I care to.

Evan the Shaggy
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Also, all of the coming of age stuff and the boys' relationship with the father was very VERY familiar to me. I connected to it.

But if you hate it, you hate it. There's not going to be any convincing you otherwise. Nor do I care to.

I honestly think that had they just followed the story of a boy growing up and stuck with his life, the movie could have been great. Making the story about the beginning of everything though and devoting so. much. time to it just turned me off the whole thing.

The entire movie was just so heavy handed.

Kirblar
06-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I thought Super 8 got stupidly heavy handed in the last 10 minutes as well.

Jason California
06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
now I am going to see it.

Evan the Shaggy
06-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Seeing that tonight.

Hopefully there isn't half an hour of Sean Penn walking on a beach in silence.

Spidey616
06-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Of the movies I've seen in theaters thus far, I was most disapointed with Hangover 2.

KSChris
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Of the movies I've seen in theaters thus far, I was most disapointed with Hangover 2.

YES.

Big time.

If I wanted to watch the same story again, I would just watch the first movie again on DVD.

Artie Pink
06-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Awesome! Thanks for tellin' it like it is, man!

cmoney
06-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Love Malick's films, all of them. Can't wait to see this one. It still raises an eyebrow when I hear people say Saving Private Ryan was the best WW2 film released that year, but everyone's got an opinion.

Kirblar
06-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Love Malick's films, all of them. Can't wait to see this one. It still raises an eyebrow when I hear people say Saving Private Ryan was the best WW2 film released that year, but everyone's got an opinion.
Some people like movies where you can follow the plot.

cmoney
06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Some people like movies where you can follow the plot.

Some people don't believe that every film is defined by its plot, or even that plot is an absolutely essential element for every film.

CapnChaos
06-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Sounds like something I'd hate. I'll steer clear until I can Netflix it so I can skip the non-dinosaur parts.

DAVE
06-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Was there a trailer for Martha Marcy May Marlene?

Ray G.
06-12-2011, 02:41 PM

It was 100 minutes of vintage 80's Spielberg, and 10 minutes of 2000s Spielberg at his worst.

I will admit it got me, though.

Evan the Shaggy
06-12-2011, 03:26 PM
You know what has the exact same message but does it a hundred times better?

Pink Floyd's The Wall. Watch it.

WesleyCraigGreen
06-12-2011, 07:40 PM

You got that right! Sad to say but I think Ed Helms has stayed well past his welcome.

Wesley

that bastard
06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I haven't seen many if Malick's films. Loved DIRTY HARRY (which he wrote)...big fan of BADLANDS (which he directed AND wrote)...But I saw THE NEW WORLD and, while beautiful to look at, it bored the living hell out of me. Never seen THIN RED LINE...Always been curious...But the trailers of TREE OF LIFE don't spark a single bit of interest in me.

SteveFlack
06-12-2011, 08:10 PM
I haven't seen many if Malick's films. Loved DIRTY HARRY (which he wrote)...big fan of BADLANDS (which he directed AND wrote)...But I saw THE NEW WORLD and, while beautiful to look at, it bored the living hell out of me. Never seen THIN RED LINE...Always been curious...But the trailers of TREE OF LIFE don't spark a single bit of interest in me.

The Thin Red Line finally cued me in to the horrors of war.

The boring horrors of war.

Humphrey_Lee
06-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I hated The Thin Red Line with such a passion that I've never bothered to watch another Malick film, though I'm half convinced I think I would like The New World by all the trailers I saw for it. I'll watch this eventually, I just won't pay ticket money to do so (i.e. NetFlix).

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
06-13-2011, 12:09 AM

THIN RED LINE is his strongest film since his come back. It's a completely different way of telling a war film than what people are used. Don't expect SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. It's a macro-style way of letting the narrative flow, where you jump around from character to character and get inside their heads, giving you different personalities and motivations as they move into the epic final battle. The battle scenes are so good. Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen and a fucking brilliant Hans Zimmer score. One of his best.

If you get bored easily while watching films, it's probably not for you.

I haven't seen BADLANDS, though. Dying to see it. People should know what to expect from a Malick film. They either love his style of they hate it, but he makes films a certain way and there's no reason to expect anything different. I find his films INSANELY beautiful. Others find his films INSANELY boring. If you've seen one of his films and hated it, then you probably shouldn't see any others (with the exception of BADLANDS which I hear everyone loves).

cmoney
06-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Days of Heaven is possibly the most beautifully-shot film I've ever seen.

Artie Pink
06-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Some people don't believe that every film is defined by its plot, or even that plot is an absolutely essential element for every film.

Some people also loved the Emperor's new suit!

Roman Noodles
06-13-2011, 05:09 AM

The most terrible crime of them all.

Artie Pink
06-13-2011, 05:11 AM

:lol:

andrew french
06-13-2011, 05:19 AM
I haven't seen BADLANDS, though. Dying to see it. People should know what to expect from a Malick film. They either love his style of they hate it, but he makes films a certain way and there's no reason to expect anything different. I find his films INSANELY beautiful. Others find his films INSANELY boring. If you've seen one of his films and hated it, then you probably shouldn't see any others (with the exception of BADLANDS which I hear everyone loves).

Badlands is great, Mark! It's a fantastic mix of creepiness and absurdity.

Stupendous Man
06-13-2011, 07:11 AM
You got that right! Sad to say but I think Ed Helms has stayed well past his welcome.

Wesley

The failings of Hangover 2, and there were many, don't get me wrong, were not Ed Helms' fault.

Did you see Cedar Rapids? I liked it quite a bit.

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks Evan!

jason hissong
06-13-2011, 07:24 AM
I loved Tree of Life. I thought it was great.

jamestolliver
06-13-2011, 08:45 AM
You know what has the exact same message but does it a hundred times better?

Pink Floyd's The Wall. Watch it.

God, I hate the Wall!

King of Mars
09-21-2011, 10:17 AM
The Yankees' resident idiot, Michael Kay, just said that Tree of Life is the "worst movie of all time." Now, I know it's a masterpiece.

Dusto
09-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Badlands is the art-house version of True Romance. True Romance even uses some of the Badlands soundtrack.

silverboy
09-21-2011, 10:38 AM
What are the odds that this is nominated for Best Picture? I feel like the Academy might be scared to not nominate it.

Kirblar
09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
What are the odds that this is nominated for Best Picture? I feel like the Academy might be scared to not nominate it.
Scared of whom, exactly? :lol:

SteveFlack
09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
The Yankees' resident idiot, Michael Kay, just said that Tree of Life is the "worst movie of all time." Now, I know it's a masterpiece.

But I hate Terrence Malick AND Michael Kay! I don't know what to believe.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
09-21-2011, 11:27 AM
But I hate Terrence Malick AND Michael Kay! I don't know what to believe.

Yeah, but to be fair, you kind of hate everything. :)

silverboy
09-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Scared of whom, exactly? :lol:

Scared of appearing too stupid/un-pretentious to get the movie. The same reason most Oscar-bait flicks get nominated and win.

MIKE D
09-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Scared of appearing too stupid/un-pretentious to get the movie. The same reason most Oscar-bait flicks get nominated and win.

There's no possibility that they could actually think the film is award worthy?

Generic Poster
09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
What percentage of the movie is footage of tall grass blowing in the wind? 75? 80?

Evan the Shaggy
09-21-2011, 12:48 PM
What percentage of the movie is footage of tall grass blowing in the wind? 75? 80?

98%.

KirbyKrackle
10-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I just saw it on demand, and I thought it was pretty good. I think I get what they were going for. I"m glad, I thought it be way, way more incomprehensible as some have lead me to believe.

Captain Bloodclot
10-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I honestly think that had they just followed the story of a boy growing up and stuck with his life, the movie could have been great. Making the story about the beginning of everything though and devoting so. much. time to it just turned me off the whole thing.

The entire movie was just so heavy handed.

I'm not sure that the film is "about the beginning of everything." It was my impression that the cut to the big bang sequence was intended to raise a counterpoint to the grief that family and loved ones were feeling about the child's death...

How can one person be so important in the scheme of all this?

But the sequence answers its own question when we see an individual dinosaur showing compassion for another individual dinosaur (or, at least, showing that it has a willingness to leave another dinosaur alone).

Doc Randy
10-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Malick films remind me of Brian Eno's ambient music albums. They are what they are. If you can get into the right mindset, they can be very rewarding. Go into it with conflicting expectations and you'll hate them.

They sure are pretty to look at.

Badlands is great. Just a straight forward flick.

Most of his other films are ambient cinematic poems. Thin Red Line is an odd film. I think everyone involved thought they were making a war flick. Instead it turned in to one of his art house cinematic experiments with a big ass budget.

Artie Pink
10-17-2011, 05:36 AM
"ambient cinematic poems" :rofl:

yeamon
10-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Most of his other films are ambient cinematic poems. Thin Red Line is an odd film. I think everyone involved thought they were making a war flick. Instead it turned in to one of his art house cinematic experiments with a big ass budget.

From what I've read about Malick's process, there is a pretty good chance HE thought he was making a war flick also, but when he sorted through the trillion hours of footage he shot, he came up with something else. Personally, I like Malick's work, and I loved "Tree of Life". You are spot on with the "ambient" description. Malick tells stories in a form more common in poetry, asking the audience to digest the imagery and do some heavy lifting in interpretation. I think there is a place for this type of film. But I don't think it has mass-market appeal. In the same way Jodorowsky doesn't have mass-market appeal, or films like "Powaqqatsi" don't pack the megaplex. But movie stars want to work with the guy, which will always bring money to his projects, and push the releases into arenas where the reaction to non-linear, plot-secondary, ambient cinematic poetry is likely to be "what the fuck?". My wife wanted to see "Tree of Life" because she likes Brad Pitt, and I still feel good about talking her out of going to see it. I had a hard enough time talking her through "Moneyball".

SteveFlack
11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I just found out from a friend that the Tree of Life DVD starts off with directions to raise the volume on your TV because everyone is whispering.

That's grade-A film making fail right there.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
11-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Yes, yes... you hate this movie. We get it.

Patton
11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Loved it!

SmoManCometh
11-14-2011, 04:56 AM
The movie almost lost me with the last few minutes, but a truly wonderful movie. Equating a boy's growth with the history of the universe...not many can pull that off. And plus, the scenes of the universe were so beautiful and epic on the big screen that it made me wish Malick could do a Superman film.

KSChris
11-14-2011, 05:26 AM
Top 3 movie this year.

silverboy
11-14-2011, 05:53 AM
The movie almost lost me with the last few minutes, but a truly wonderful movie. Equating a boy's growth with the history of the universe...not many can pull that off. And plus, the scenes of the universe were so beautiful and epic on the big screen that it made me wish Malick could do a Superman film.

Wow. That sounds like a really horrible, horrible Superman movie.

Fygar
11-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Wow. That sounds like a really horrible, horrible Superman movie.

I don't know if it'd be horrible but at least it'd be artsy/ different. The super hero film genre needs fresh blood to liven it up a bit. It's become so formulaic and cookie cutter that even the die hard fans are losing interest (at least I am).

When Spider-man came out it was good enough simply because we were seeing a childhood hero brought to life on the big screen. Now we see that same thing every few months in the cinema (weeks apart in the summer). The super hero film is the modern western, and we need unique voices to bring these characters to life. I would be way more excited to see a Malick Superman than a Snyder one, only because I can't even picture what that would be. I'd kill a man for a Malick Kabuki film.

silverboy
11-14-2011, 07:14 AM
I don't know if it'd be horrible but at least it'd be artsy/ different. The super hero film genre needs fresh blood to liven it up a bit. It's become so formulaic and cookie cutter that even the die hard fans are losing interest (at least I am).

When Spider-man came out it was good enough simply because we were seeing a childhood hero brought to life on the big screen. Now we see that same thing every few months in the cinema (weeks apart in the summer). The super hero film is the modern western, and we need unique voices to bring these characters to life. I would be way more excited to see a Malick Superman than a Snyder one, only because I can't even picture what that would be. I'd kill a man for a Malick Kabuki film.

You got Ang Lee's Hulk. Will nothing satisfy you?

Fygar
11-14-2011, 07:42 AM
You got Ang Lee's Hulk. Will nothing satisfy you?

I do prefer it to the Ed Norton Hulk movie.

Generic Poster
11-14-2011, 08:17 AM

Well, Clark's childhood in Smallville would provide lots of opportunities to show wheat blowing gently in the wind. Mallick would be down with that.

JJ Fresh
11-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Good points. This is why I really appreciated Mendes' Road to Perdition, it was a gangster film with a heart and some brilliant use of subtle symbolism and a study into relations between fathers and sons. I think its a highly underrated comic film with some fantastic directing.

And you're right, Malick taking Mack's Kabuki would be flat out amazing (but I'd beg for him to go beyond "Circle of Blood" and get into the really abstract "Dreams" stuff).

Back to topic: really tempted to rent Tree of Life with a free Redbox rental. Yet, I haven't seen Green Lantern yet either. One will most likely make me regret the time spent. Decisions, decisions.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-14-2011, 08:56 AM
An hour and a half of brilliance mixed with 45 minutes of pretentious nonsense. I've never seen a narrative structure like it, for good or ill.

silverboy
11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I saw Melancholia yesterday. It's similar, thematically and through execution, to Tree of Life, but I thought it had a much more focused story with more impact. I'm curious if anybody else has seen both?

Karate and Friendship
11-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I loved most of it and hated some of it. It's the film I've thought the most about for a while.

(akaRyanHoffman)
01-02-2012, 08:58 PM
I thought it was hypnotic. Didn't really feel the last 5-10 minutes, but I'm glad I watched it.