PDA

View Full Version : Hawkworld

Supreme Convoy
06-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I’ve never read a Hawkman’s comic before. I remember that Hawkworld was on Wizard’s Top 100 paperbacks and I’ve been chipping away at that list for years.

I really dug this story. It certainly doesn’t feel like a traditional DC super hero story of the time. Hawkworld holds up surprisingly well. I really don’t want to think about how nerds had to consider this into continuity at the time. I just read it as an Elseworld/alternate take on Hawkman. I love Alcatena’s art, it looks like a Heavy Metal comic.

Reading about Hawkman’s origin drives me nuts. However, I still would like to read more Hawkman stuff. I have the first James Robinson & Geoff Johns paperback. I really do hope that DC announces a JSA omnibus as well.

The Hodag
06-12-2011, 12:07 AM
So it was the trade paperback you read, right? It sounds like you enjoyed it enough for me to recommend the comic series that spun off of it. The art isn't even in the ballpark of Truman and Alcatena (or was it entirely Alcatena? I always assumed it was mainly Truman with Alcatena inking), but it's solid enough and Ostrander's writing is quite good.

Supreme Convoy
06-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Yep, I picked up the paperback.

Ah, you are correct. I just looked at the credits page and Truman drew it while Alcatena inked it.

I might check out the rest of the series at some point.

The Hodag
06-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Alcatena's a terrific artist anyway, and shares a decent bit in common with Tim Truman. Seems I only see his work occasionally, though. I remember he drew a great Batman Elseworlds with Batman as a pirate (Chuck Dixon on writing) and I think he was one of the old-school artists on Showcase Presents Jonah Hex, so he might've been around a while. If memory serves his western art is particularly spectacular.

artimoff
06-12-2011, 06:11 AM
I loved the Hawkworld series, but It was the start of all the Hawkman bagage. If they had just started the Hawkworld series with them being on earth for several years, then there would have never been a problem.

The Hawkworld Hawks are my favorite version of the characters.

Ashwin Pande
06-12-2011, 06:27 AM
All the books Ostrander wrote during that period were great. Check out The Spectre and Martian Manhunter.

Mister Mets
06-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Hawkworld is awesome. May just be the greatest sci-fi adventure comic book.