PDA

View Full Version : Frank Miller’s Ronin

Supreme Convoy
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
After all these years, I finally read Frank Miller’s Ronin. I opted for the paperback and was disappointed that it didn’t offer any extras or even a cover gallery. Oh well.

It’s amazing to see how Miller’s work changes over the course of the series. There’s a subtle difference between his work on Daredevil and Dark Knight Returns and you see that change here.

I can finally appreciate how Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles took some of its inspiration from Ronin as I’ve only been familiar with the Daredevil connections. I never realized that the Ninja Turtles logo is a spoof of Ronin’s logo.

It's hard to place this on my Favorite Miller Comic List as it always changes. In the end, I really dug the book.

The Hodag
06-09-2011, 10:22 PM
I started reading it in the shop I manage a few weeks back during a quiet night. It's a little hard to pin down why, but it really didn't grab me. I just wasn't very interested in the characters or premise, and I was a little too aware of all his tics in it.

I wanted to like it, but I'm afraid it only had me thinking, "Ah, so that's why it doesn't get mentioned as often as his other 80s work..."

BriRedfern
06-10-2011, 05:00 AM
I used to own the TPB a decade ago. I lent it out and never got it back and have not reinvested in a new copy, but it is always on the list of thingd I want back on the book shelf.

I don't know that it would hold the same charm for me that it did when I originally read it in the 90's though. I was unaware that iit was considered a major influence on TMNT.

Brother Power the Gong
06-10-2011, 05:10 AM
I read it when it came out and loved it. Still do. The Absolute is one of my favorites.

Alexander Hamilton
06-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Love this. One of my favorite thing from Miller, but there are so many it shifts places on the list constantly.