PDA

View Full Version : So is Scott Lobdell any good?

Nick Graham
06-09-2011, 10:01 PM
While I was hoping the DC relaunch would give opportunities to some lesser known writers who haven't picked up much buzz, it seems partially geared to give Bob Harras' buddies lots of new work, particularly Scott Lobdell. I'm all for cronyism if the crony in question is good, but I have zero experience with Lobdell's work. So...is he any good?

Kefky
06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
No good.

Jason California
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
I remember his stuff fondly. I have not read anything he wrote since my early 20s though. I am 32.

Roman Noodles
06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I loved Lobdell's books. His Gen X book is one of my favorite things ever. But I also really loved his Uncanny run. He wrote one of my favorite issues.

Some people hate him, but I am certainly not one and cannot wait to see what he comes up with.

Spidey616
06-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Haven't really read anything by him recently. Certainly left his mark on the X titles in the 90's giving us Generation X, Chamber, etc.

SteveFlack
06-09-2011, 10:16 PM
He wrote three really good issues of Fantastic Four once.

Nick Graham
06-09-2011, 10:20 PM
It just seems odd to me he's been basically languishing in obscurity (at least comics-wise) for the last few years, and now is on some pretty marquee books out of nowhere, so I was wondering if this was a case of inexplicably untapped talent finally getting tapped or "He's friends with Bob Harras and Jim Lee, end of story." Perhaps a bit of both?

Matthew Brown
06-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm going to give Red Hood and the Outlaws a shot, because I like Jason Todd and the premise seems solid. So I guess I'll see.

Your Pal, Carl
06-09-2011, 10:27 PM
His work on Generation X is widely regarded as his best work and is one of the best runs at Marvel from that era. His X-Men run gets mixed reviews. I thought it was good. He introduced a lot plot threads in the beginning of his run which paid off 4 or 5 years later including the idea of the X-traitor, Gambit's history with Sabretooth and Mr. Sinister and the third Summers brother. I haven't read anything by him outside his X-Books.

Kefky
06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
It just seems odd to me he's been basically languishing in obscurity (at least comics-wise) for the last few years, and now is on some pretty marquee books out of nowhere, so I was wondering if this was a case of inexplicably untapped talent finally getting tapped or "He's friends with Bob Harras and Jim Lee, end of story." Perhaps a bit of both?

It's all part of Jim Lee's evil plan to regress the industry back to 1991.

David Aspmo
06-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Mostly no, but he has his moments.

The stuff I've read of his (mostly X-Book stuff) was generally overwrought, melodramatic and kind of simplistic. He also would start up storylines without figuring out the ending beforehand, which meant his stories often didn't have a satisfying payoff.

dEnny!
06-10-2011, 02:48 AM
While I was hoping the DC relaunch would give opportunities to some lesser known writers who haven't picked up much buzz, it seems partially geared to give Bob Harras' buddies lots of new work, particularly Scott Lobdell. I'm all for cronyism if the crony in question is good, but I have zero experience with Lobdell's work. So...is he any good?

Here is a list of his work (I snagged off wiki). Why don't you try some of them to see if you like the guy or you can wait until September and give the titles he writes a shot and find out for yourself. Taste is after all subjective. I liked his Generation X, but that could have been because he was paired with superstar Chris Bachalo.

* The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix (4-issue mini-series)
* Alpha Flight vol. 2 #1-12
* Buffy the Vampire Slayer (with Fabian Nicieza) #47-59
* Daredevil #376-379
* The Darkness #23-38
* Excalibur #31, #35-41, #53, #58-60, #68-71, #75-82
* Fantastic Four #1-3, 4-5 (with Chris Claremont, 1998)
* Galaxy Quest #1-5
* Gen¹³ #45-54
* Generation X #1-28
* Ghostbusters: Displaced Aggression #1-4
* Iron Man #1-7 (1996)
* Manifest Eternity #1-6 (Wildstorm, 2006)
* Uncanny X-Men #289-349, 350 (with Steven Seagle)
* Wildcats #1-9 (1997)
* X-Factor #90-95, #106
* X-Men (vol. 2) #6-11, #46-69, #110-113

costello
06-10-2011, 03:32 AM
My favorites of his are Uncanny X-Men #287-290, 294-297, 303. I wasn't fan of the rest of his books between 291-305. This was back in 1992.

I don't know if I've read anything else by him.

Pidge
06-10-2011, 03:33 AM
I love his stuff, it's my favorite time period for X-Books. He's probably my favorite comic writer.

I've never read a DC book, (I've always been Marvel) but i'm thinking I'm going to pick up his books when the relaunch starts.

Kevin T Brown
06-10-2011, 03:55 AM
He's good..... and that's about it. I've never disliked anything he's done, but what he has done hasn't been exactly memorable to me. When I see the list Denny put, I kept thinking to myself, "oh yeah, that was an ok issue".

However, I think putting him on 3 new titles is a bit much. Give him one and let's see how that goes. I would have given Teen Titans to Sterling Gates instead.

Ryudo
06-10-2011, 03:58 AM
He was good on X-Men and Gen X.

James Patrick
06-10-2011, 04:41 AM

It's funny that some people think that just because an artist or writer isn't working in comics delegates them to obscurity, even with your disclaimer. Especially when there's far more money other places. Along with upcomming talent, Editors, EICs hire people they trust and people they know have delivered for them. That's how it works.

Stupendous Man
06-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Generation X was totally rad. It is like 15 years old though. I don't know if I've read any of his stuff that came after.

kon-el kent
06-10-2011, 05:37 AM
I love scott lobdell. I was actually going to start a thread about him the day before the news of his work at DC came out but never got around to it. He made me fall in love with the X-men. His work on Gen X was amazing. Sadly that title went to shit when he left.

In terms of his non marvel work, I loved his arc on Wildcats. I wish he had stayed on. If you can find that trade I highly recommend it.

Hate_Prime
06-10-2011, 05:38 AM
He was THE guy during the height of me loving the x books.

artimoff
06-10-2011, 06:16 AM
He's the Marty Pasko of Marvel

silverboy
06-10-2011, 06:24 AM
I loved his X-Men and Gen X. His Alpha Flight run wasn't great. I don't think I've read much else.

Marcdachamp
06-10-2011, 06:26 AM
He was the x-writer I grew up with. I'm giving Teen Titans a shot. Looks interesting, and Red Robin's redesign is fantastic.

Buk Was Right
06-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Was he steering the X-ship during Age of Apocalypse or was that someone else? I associate him that era, but maybe he wasn't THE guy like I'm thinking.

And he was the guy writing Uncanny when Lee and Claremont were doing their thing on the X-Men during the blue team/gold team era right?

dEnny!
06-10-2011, 06:51 AM
I loved his X-Men and Gen X. His Alpha Flight run wasn't great. I don't think I've read much else.

Steve Seagle's ALPHA FLIGHT run was great!

Pidge
06-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Was he steering the X-ship during Age of Apocalypse or was that someone else? I associate him that era, but maybe he wasn't THE guy like I'm thinking.

And he was the guy writing Uncanny when Lee and Claremont were doing their thing on the X-Men during the blue team/gold team era right?

Yes he was the guy during that time.

silverboy
06-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Yes it was.

The Funketeer
06-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Mostly no, but he has his moments.

The stuff I've read of his (mostly X-Book stuff) was generally overwrought, melodramatic and kind of simplistic. He also would start up storylines without figuring out the ending beforehand, which meant his stories often didn't have a satisfying payoff.

I think it's unfair to blame any of that on any of the X-Men writers at the time. Plots back then were generally dictated by the editor (Harras) and unfinished plotlines were just keeping up with the Claremont tradition.

I think Lobdell and Nicieza are good writers but in this case, it's pretty clear that they are getting work because they're friends of Harras.

The Funketeer
06-10-2011, 07:33 AM

Nope. Claremont was on both books until he wasn't. Lobdell may have been writing the books when Claremont came back to do X-Treme X-Men.

Buk Was Right
06-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Nope. Claremont was on both books until he wasn't. Lobdell may have been writing the books when Claremont came back to do X-Treme X-Men.

You are correct.

Wikipedia has him on:
Uncanny X-Men #289-349, 350 (with Steven Seagle)
X-Men (vol. 2) #6-11, #46-69, #110-113

I guess he took the ball after Claremont left?
I don't remember issues numbers. I'm a bad comic fan.

Pidge
06-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Claremont finished with X-men #3 in 91, lobdell & Nicieza took over from there. Lobdell was writing Uncanny during x-cutioners song all the way to operation zero tolerance. So yes, he was on Uncanny during the Age Of Apocalypse.

Jet
06-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Yeah, that was some good stuff. Seagle's was vol 2 though and Lobdell's horrible Alpha Flight run was vol. 3.

I did like Lobdell's X-Men stuff which made his Alpha Flight work a bit of a head scratcher.

artimoff
06-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Nicieza finnished up Claremont's Uncanny plot with the shadowking. Byrne scripted Lee's plot for X-men # 4 & 5. Lobdell came after Byrne

Zac Goyette
06-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Generation X was one of my favorites!

David Aspmo
06-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Nicieza finnished up Claremont's Uncanny plot with the shadowking. Byrne scripted Lee's plot for X-men # 4 & 5. Lobdell came after Byrne
And he was still just scripting over Jim Lee's plots from issues #6-11. Lee was also plotting Uncanny during this time with Byrne and then Lobdell scripting those as well. As of issue #291 of Uncanny and #12 of X-Men (which came out a month apart from each other), Lobdell was fully writing Uncanny and Nicieza was writing X-Men. Nicieza left X-Men after #45, at which point Lobdell took over and was writing both until #349 of Uncanny and #69 of X-Men, after which Seagle and Joe Kelly took over.