PDA

View Full Version : There's speculation the last episode of South Park was the series finale

Evan the Shaggy
06-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Or at the very least, the precursor to the final episodes and damn if the most current episode didn't seem like the final episode of the series.

You know what? Considering how good the episode was, I'd be totally ok with it ending now. Its had an INSANELY long run and with Matt and Trey branching out with Book of Mormon, maybe its time to wrap things up.

Ryan Elliott
06-09-2011, 09:34 PM
I heard they were contracted until 2013.

Evan the Shaggy
06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I heard they were contracted until 2013.

They have seven more episodes in their contract before it's done/they can renew, but they could opt out and pay a penalty if they wanted to.

Ryan Elliott
06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
They have seven more episodes in their contract before it's done/they can renew, but they could opt out and pay a penalty if they wanted to.

I hope they don't opt out.

Actually, it'd be hilarious if the show picked up this fall and nothing was different.

Mattman
06-09-2011, 10:01 PM
AV Club says the the show is on the air at least until 2013.

Bervda
06-10-2011, 05:23 AM
I hope they don't opt out.

Actually, it'd be hilarious if the show picked up this fall and nothing was different.

I'm surprised that so few people are using this line of thought. It's what I just expect to happen.

Marcdachamp
06-10-2011, 05:33 AM
What happened?

The Robot Lord of Tokyo
06-10-2011, 05:58 AM
If the show was to end with the focus being on Stan, I would be fine with it.
Granted, there would no closure for Cartman and Kyle which might suck but then again if there was closure for Cartman it would be a huge comeuppance at the hands of Kyle.
And as for Kenny, he's died so many times that and has so much happen to him that it's hard to say what the logical conclusion would be for him.

I actually hope that the show does end within the year. It had a great run but I agree with the last episode's commentary that at this point Trey and Matt have about attacked everything so what would be left?

Go out on a good note and don't become what the Simpsons have become.

DaveCummings
06-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Granted, there would no closure for Cartman and Kyle which might suck but then again if there was closure for Cartman it would be a huge comeuppance at the hands of Kyle.
And as for Kenny, he's died so many times that and has so much happen to him that it's hard to say what the logical conclusion would be for him.

I actually hope that the show does end within the year. It had a great run but I agree with the last episode's commentary that at this point Trey and Matt have about attacked everything so what would be left?

I think the Mysterion episodes were a great logical conclusion for him. For the very least, it gives people an explanation for his constant rebirths.

Jason California
06-10-2011, 06:13 AM
What happened?

everything turned to shit.

Matt Jay
06-10-2011, 06:26 AM
I think it'd be a pretty good ending to the show. I'd rather they show us how they all turned out as grown ups, or at least how they'd be today if they aged a year since the show first aired.

dougmac
06-10-2011, 06:39 AM
I think they'll do the 7 more they are obligated to do and get out.

Patrick J
06-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Some might argue that the last episode did offer conclusion for Cartman and Kyle. They were there, playing together sitting on the couch and Cartman smiled. Their rivalry and Cartman's hatred of Kyle is over and may have been predicated upon Cartman only, really just wanting a friend - with Stan gone, Kyle has replaced his friendship with that of Cartman's. Since now Cartman has a friend, he might stop being such a jerk. I know it's a stretch.

I think the Mysterion episodes offered as much of a conclusion/closure to Kenny's story as we'll ever get.

Alexander Hamilton
06-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Where is all of this coming from? Just message board rumors and discussions?

Jason California
06-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Where is all of this coming from? Just message board rumors and discussions?

just let it happen dude.

Alexander Hamilton
06-10-2011, 07:11 AM
just let it happen dude.

I just want to make sure, because I would be very sad if this was true.

SidekicksRevenge
06-10-2011, 07:19 AM

It already has "become what the Simpsons have become." A reliable show that isn't even a shadow of what it used to be but still gets the job done, occasionally showing a hint of the old brilliance.

I think they'll do the 7 more they are obligated to do and get out.

I think they'll do this forever. It's too easy.

Blake Sims
06-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Not a bad episode.

Taxman
06-10-2011, 07:39 AM
I can't believe that someone was talking about South Park characters and closure in the same sentence. :lol:

Alexander Hamilton
06-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Not a bad episode.

It was alright. I wasn't as enamored with it as others seem to be.

SteveFlack
06-10-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm just shocked that people are reading that much into it. To me, it was just more of "Matt & Trey hate things, so this is them on their soapbox talking about it". I don't think South Park will ever go away, because it's not a serialized TV show, but rather a place for them to speak their minds (under the guise of a TV show, because according to them, celebrities should never speak on current events). Are they bored of it now? Maybe. And maybe in three months, something will piss them off and they'll want to talk about in the voice of 10 year old boys.

Blake Sims
06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
It was alright. I wasn't as enamored with it as others seem to be.

Yeah, not my favorite, but I chuckled a few good times.

Alexander Hamilton
06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm just shocked that people are reading that much into it. To me, it was just more of "Matt & Trey hate things, so this is them on their soapbox talking about it". I don't think South Park will ever go away, because it's not a serialized TV show, but rather a place for them to speak their minds (under the guise of a TV show, because according to them, celebrities should never speak on current events). Are they bored of it now? Maybe. And maybe in three months, something will piss them off and they'll want to talk about in the voice of 10 year old boys.

That's my take. It a pulpit for them to stand-on (that still happens to get them boat loads of cash). Other than the Mohammad thing, have they ever really been censored by the network?

Alexander Hamilton
06-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Yeah, not my favorite, but I chuckled a few good times.

I actually like last week's episode better, but I'm a sucker for Butters.

The Dean
06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I had no idea this was still on until I saw a promo in Tosh.0.

Spidey616
06-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Definitely surprised me. I thought the 200th/201st eps would be a great way to end the series where they managed to cram in as much past stories/characters/etc as they could.

Garth
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I can't believe that someone was talking about South Park characters and closure in the same sentence. :lol:

I know! Its been a while since I've seen South Park, but I doubt THAT much has changed.

Mattman
06-10-2011, 06:23 PM
If it was the last episode wouldn't Comedy Central be making a bigger deal of it? Come on people, use your brains!

DaveCummings
06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
If it was the last episode wouldn't Comedy Central be making a bigger deal of it? Come on people, use your brains!

Unless of course, Trey and Matt did it as a "fuck you" to Comedy Central as a way to get back at them for fucking them over with 201.

SteveFlack
06-15-2011, 11:19 PM

So Trey & Matt were on the Daily Show last night, and basically said what I thought. They're not done, and they're shocked people thought so.

afroloq
06-16-2011, 04:55 AM
Honestly, you could not have told me after the movie was released that the show would have run this long...kudos if they go out like this.

silverboy
06-16-2011, 05:30 AM
I wouldn't blame Matt and Trey for wanting to focus on other areas. Their talents obviously apply to other areas than just television.

I always wondered why they didn't make another South Park movie, or even a stage musical.

CapnChaos
06-16-2011, 06:18 AM
I hope they get around to making another movie sometime, South Park or no. BLU, Team America and Orgazmo are all great and I am even a fan of Baseketball.

SteveFlack
06-16-2011, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't blame Matt and Trey for wanting to focus on other areas. Their talents obviously apply to other areas than just television.

I always wondered why they didn't make another South Park movie, or even a stage musical.

Um, they just made a Tony Award Winning Musical.

silverboy
06-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Um, they just made a Tony Award Winning Musical.

I meant a South Park stage musical.

SteveFlack
06-16-2011, 08:02 AM
I meant a South Park stage musical.

That would be awful, since they'd have to recast most of the roles, since Trey & Matt do multiple voices. It would start feel phony if they had other people performing the characters.

SteveFlack
06-16-2011, 08:03 AM
I hope they get around to making another movie sometime, South Park or no. BLU, Team America and Orgazmo are all great and I am even a fan of Baseketball.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Book of Mormon get an adaption of some sort eventually.

silverboy
06-16-2011, 08:16 AM
That would be awful, since they'd have to recast most of the roles, since Trey & Matt do multiple voices. It would start feel phony if they had other people performing the characters.

Not if you cast the right actors. There are only about a million out of work but very talented musical theater actors in the world. If they wanted to get really creative, they could do it Avenue Q style with voice actors.