PDA

View Full Version : Marvel fans - You may want to check your local HALF PRICE BOOKS

Fygar
06-09-2011, 07:23 PM
If you have one in the area that is.

I work at one and typically our graphic novels come in used from the public, but we do get some new stuff every week from our warehouse in Texas. It is always random stuff usually indie stuff like Ghost World, Drifting Life, The Best American comics 06, 07 etc. BUT this week we got a ton of Marvel stuff all at half off. Old Man Logan, Annihilation, Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine, Dark Avengers etc. Oh we also got a large stack of Bone: One Volume Edition. It's worth stopping in because in a lot of cases these are even cheaper than online.

Oh and tell them Nick from store 061 sent you, that would look really good if that got passed along :)

Fygar
02-23-2012, 06:15 AM
I thought I'd bump this thread because it happened again this week. My store (and I assume others in the HPB chain) got 200+ Marvel graphic novels. Mostly hardcovers of stories that were published in the last two or three years. A lot of them are sealed. Obviously these are new products that all the stores get and not the used stuff that is generally associated with our franchise. Good luck!

gibbEy
02-23-2012, 06:21 AM
I'll go check it out this weekend. I've sold some old trades there before, but I've never found anything at mine that I wanted to buy.

It's been awhile since I've checked out what they have though..

Thanks for the head's up.

Patton
02-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the heads-up.

cPol
02-23-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm not at all surprised to discover that there aren't any HPB stores in New England.

Stark Raving
02-23-2012, 06:52 AM
I love Half Price Books. The best time to go is mid-week.
I just picked up the TPB of FEVRE DREAM from the big Dallas store for 2 freakin' bucks. Can't beat that.

BriRedfern
02-23-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm not at all surprised to discover that there aren't any HPB stores in New England.

Thanks. Now I don't have to look.

DPurpleHelm
02-23-2012, 07:17 AM
I am definitely going to look into this....perhaps today! thanks for the heads up. Nick at store 061? doubt i'll remember but i'll try ;-)

chazbot
02-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Half Price always does a good job at taking my money.

Fygar
02-23-2012, 07:29 AM
I am definitely going to look into this....perhaps today! thanks for the heads up. Nick at store 061? doubt i'll remember but i'll try ;-)

Haha you don't actually have to do that!

I wish I could remember some of the things we got in to give you guys a better idea.

Off the top of my head

Avengers Prime
Civil War: Frontline (hardcover)
Civil War: Young Avengers/ Runaways
New Avengers: Siege
Casanova Icon reprint
Ultimates 2
Geoff Johns/ Oliver Copiel Avengers books
Spiderwoman softcover
A bunch of Chaos War crossovers
A bunch of Shadowland hardcovers (was any of this good?)
A ridiculous amount of Deadpool stuff.

That's all that's jumping out, but trust me there's TONS more.

Fygar
02-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Half Price always does a good job at taking my money.

I don't even know why they bother to give me a paycheck :)

And if it means anything to you guys, they're a great company to work for. Benefits, plenty of vacation time, raises, paid hour long lunch break every day. I'm far from wealthy, but I don't mind going to work.

Humphrey_Lee
02-23-2012, 08:26 AM

And if it means anything to you guys, they're a great company to work for. Benefits, plenty of vacation time, raises, paid hour long lunch break every day. I'm far from wealthy, but I don't mind going to work.

Hey, since you're here, I always wondered, what exactly is that places' trade-in policy? Do they always take what you bring in, or is there a cut off? And is there a standard price for stuff you hand in, or do they actually do it on a scale given how easily or not they think they can sell stuff off? I've got a solid two dozen books, some TPBs I have no use for, and even a bunch of floppy comics that I'm pretty confident my shop guy won't be able to use that I'd literally take anything for.

Fygar
02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Hey, since you're here, I always wondered, what exactly is that places' trade-in policy? Do they always take what you bring in, or is there a cut off? And is there a standard price for stuff you hand in, or do they actually do it on a scale given how easily or not they think they can sell stuff off? I've got a solid two dozen books, some TPBs I have no use for, and even a bunch of floppy comics that I'm pretty confident my shop guy won't be able to use that I'd literally take anything for.

We make an offer on the lot. There's no cut off. I've done deals with hundreds (possibly thousands) of items.

Our offer is based on how well we can sell the items and the quality/condition of them. So we can never pay much for Stephen King, Danielle Steel or fucks sake James Patterson because the supply exceeds demand (unless it's their brand new book). As far as trades/ OGNs I can only speak for the Monroeville store, but we always need them. The demand is high, and they rarely hit the clearance section. You're never going to get much for single issues unless they're fairly rare. To put it into perspective. I sold an entire run of Powers, Ultimates, New Avengers and Mighty Avengers and got $35. I run the comic section at our store, and we see about three long boxes of comics a week (on average).

Humphrey_Lee
02-23-2012, 10:29 AM
We make an offer on the lot. There's no cut off. I've done deals with hundreds (possibly thousands) of items.

Our offer is based on how well we can sell the items and the quality/condition of them. So we can never pay much for Stephen King, Danielle Steel or fucks sake James Patterson because the supply exceeds demand (unless it's their brand new book). As far as trades/ OGNs I can only speak for the Monroeville store, but we always need them. The demand is high, and they rarely hit the clearance section. You're never going to get much for single issues unless they're fairly rare. To put it into perspective. I sold an entire run of Powers, Ultimates, New Avengers and Mighty Avengers and got $35. I run the comic section at our store, and we see about three long boxes of comics a week (on average).

Cool. All that is about what I figured. I usually have my LCS guy move runs of comics for me, but some stuff there just ain't moving and even though he'll gladly take the rest off my hands to fill stock, it's just going to sit there until he gets to a con and tries and sell it for a quarter a pop. I'd gladly take a nickel an issue for it instead of doing that to him. Good to know. Thanks sir. Hell, maybe I'll head out your way and do it sometime, because I need to get out there anyway to check out a Craft Beer store right off the mile.

J. R. Scherer
02-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Sweet. I've been noticing more and more new-looking GNs popping up at my local HPB. I'll have to stop in again shortly.

majorjoe23
02-23-2012, 04:06 PM

I can second this. My wife working there means way cheaper insurance for her and my daughter than my work would give. She's suppose to find out tomorrow if she gets a shift leader position. The extra money would be nice.

DPurpleHelm
02-23-2012, 04:29 PM
stopped by there today, but i only had like 20 bucks on me so "ALL" i got was death of superman and batman year one TPB's.....and a Hulk encyclopedia. shit was like 21 dollars. my pants were instantly ruined. imma blow maybe 100$ over the weekend or monday at the latest....thanks again for letting me know!

Patton
02-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Haha awesome, DPurple.

Fygar
03-13-2012, 07:27 AM
So it seems there's just going to be a weekly shipment from Marvel from now on. Since posting this we've gotten another 150 or so GN's, around 35-50 a week.

Have you guys been finding these at your local HPB?

Also, the coupon sale starts next week. You can get an additional 50% off on one item, Sunday the 25th.

chazbot
03-13-2012, 07:36 AM
I went to my local HPB, which has a small section for trades as it is, and it seems like just the standard used fare and no shipment items. Except for some Kiss collection they had a ton of. :lol:

Fygar
03-13-2012, 07:42 AM
I went to my local HPB, which has a small section for trades as it is, and it seems like just the standard used fare and no shipment items. Except for some Kiss collection they had a ton of. :lol:

Huh...interesting. Yeah, we get the KISS compendium at my store as well but HOLY SHIT does it sell fast. We worked a convention recently and that's seriously the only item that people looked at/ purchased. I had no idea KISS comics were so popular.

Stark Raving
03-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Did you go to the store in Mesquite? :)

Go to the main Dallas store.

Corey A.
03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Our local store here got almost all the Marvel Zombie HC & the Civil War OHC. Tons of new stuff. Pretty sweet.

Fygar
08-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Oh my God! A dude sold over a thousand graphic novels to one of the Pittsburgh stores. His entire collection in one visit. I went to check it out, great stuff. Almost entirely Marvel and DC from the last five years. A ton of hardcovers.

Humphrey, hit up the Robinson store stat!

Humphrey_Lee
08-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Oh my God! A dude sold over a thousand graphic novels to one of the Pittsburgh stores. His entire collection in one visit. I went to check it out, great stuff. Almost entirely Marvel and DC from the last five years. A ton of hardcovers.

Will do. Most likely not until Tuesday though. Work and all that.

xhondax
08-24-2012, 05:17 AM

The sad thing is he probably only got around $200 for all of that from them.
Not a Marvel book but last weekend in one of the Seattle area stores I got a copy of the first Stray Bullets hardcover for $10. Made my day.

DaveCummings
08-24-2012, 05:24 AM
I went down to the Half Price Books on the westside of Indy (not one I usually go to) and found a hardcover copy of the Batman: The Animated Series artbook for $17. A very good buy.

Fygar
08-24-2012, 06:02 AM
The sad thing is he probably only got around $200 for all of that from them.
Not a Marvel book but last weekend in one of the Seattle area stores I got a copy of the first Stray Bullets hardcover for $10. Made my day.

He apparently sold a chunk to get an idea. They gave him $600 for the chunk. For the thousand they gave him $1800. He obviously could have done better on his own but 2400 is nothing to sneeze at

kodave
08-24-2012, 11:23 AM
He apparently sold a chunk to get an idea. They gave him $600 for the chunk. For the thousand they gave him $1800. He obviously could have done better on his own but 2400 is nothing to sneeze at

How are TIVs decided? Does an employee just see what the recently sold prices are on eBay? Or see what people are trying to sell the books for on Amazon? Then offer the customer 50% or less of those prices?

Fygar
08-24-2012, 11:32 AM
How are TIVs decided? Does an employee just see what the recently sold prices are on eBay? Or see what people are trying to sell the books for on Amazon? Then offer the customer 50% or less of those prices?

It depends on the book, condition, how many the store has, how fast it sells etc. At the store I work at, GNs do really well. The average gn is $14.99 so the company HAS to sell it for $7.49 or less. So you'll get a percentage of 7.49, probably three bucks.

majorjoe23
08-24-2012, 12:41 PM
My wife works at HPB and tells me 30% of cover is generally the max offered, unless it's a collectible items.

Having a significant other work at HPB is awesome, since they get half off the store price on most things. "Yes hon, I would like Wednesday Comics for 25% of the cover price."

Fygar
08-24-2012, 12:55 PM
My wife works at HPB and tells me 30% of cover is generally the max offered, unless it's a collectible items.

Having a significant other work at HPB is awesome, since they get half off the store price on most things. "Yes hon, I would like Wednesday Comics for 25% of the cover price."

It's an amazing discount. I bought the new 52 detective comics hardcover, avengers reboot hardcover, the last musketeer, stitches and Under the Banner of Heaven for 23 bucks last night.

Actually, I owe a big thanks. Roughly two years ago someone made a post about retailers that don't suck to work for. You mentioned your wife just started at an HPB and dug it. I applied shortly after and got the job.

majorjoe23
08-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Awesome, glad that helped. Whenever one of my friends is looking for work I'll mention HPB. We just had a baby in December and they've been totally flexible, letting her keep a recent promotion even after cutting down to four days a week so she can spend more time with the kid.