PDA

View Full Version : Cool shit that your parents did.

ThunderThunder
06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
When I was a kid (8-ish), my Dad (mechanical engineer) took one of those red, disc shaped sleds, painted a white star on the outside of it then, using the white leather belt that he used to whoop our asses with, made arm straps for the inside. This home-made Cap shield was sitting on the handle bars of my new Huffy Bike when I came downstairs X-mas morning. I all but fainted. A couple of years prior he had taken some plastic pipe and made a Green Lantern ring for me. Sure it was white but otherwise it looked exactly like a GL ring to the 6 year old me. Funny that both movies will be out soon.

Any one else have folks who did stuff like this?

Jim T.
06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
One Christmas in the 70's, my Dad (who has no carpentry skill whatsoever) spent weeks down in the basement secretly making me a Planet of the Apes command post. There had been one being advertised on TV and I guess he just decided it would be cheaper to make me one. I must have only been 5 or 6 but it was one of the coolest gifts I ever got from my parents. I wish I still had it.

EDIT: It looked just like this: http://www.megomuseum.com/pota/treehouse.html

Blake Sims
06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
My grandma used to make stretchers for my GI Joes. That was pretty badass.

ThunderThunder
06-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Had to change my profile pic to that of me wearing the Robin outfit Mom made me in 2nd grade. :)
Wore it till it fell apart.

usagi20
06-09-2011, 11:09 AM
My Mom attended the Beatles concert at Shea Stadium in 1965. A friend of hers got her the tickets for her Sweet Sixteen.

HOOKS
06-09-2011, 11:15 AM
My mom used to randomly take me out of school for a "family emergency" and drive us down to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, or Universal Studios. And whenever there was a field trip, everyone wanted to go with my mom because she would take our group to get food and sometimes Toys R Us.

Just thinking about those days makes me smile. :)

capntightpants
06-09-2011, 11:17 AM
My dad was a boxer at one point in his life. I thought that was cool.

McGill
06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Fucked and made me. Otherwise they're pretty boring.

GelfXIII
06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
My Dad brought Moe Howard over for drinks a couple of times. That was pretty cool.

HOOKS
06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Oh, and my dad built working model airplanes and helicopters (does it even more now that he's retired) and used to take me to the park or beach and fly them.

Doc Randy
06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
My dad raced motorcycles, flew airplanes, traveled the world, and hasn't worked for anybody other than himself for my whole life. He was a Texas entrepreneur in the petroleum industry. Always thought that was cool even though he never made a ton of money. ;)

My dad used to sit me in front of him on his motorcycle and go screaming down the road. And he took me flying a bunch. On Sundays, we would go to the airport and go flying together.

When I was younger, my folks had the Gatlin brothers, Kris Kirstofferson, Johnny and June Cash over for dinner. That's kind of cool.

All and all, for a couple of middle class people with no big cultural or media roots, my parents have done some cool shit.

Urgur the Gurgur
06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
My father instilled in me a strong work ethic and sense of discipline.

TheKraken
06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
For one of my earliest birthdays, my Mom made probably a dozen TIE Fighters and X-Wings out of paper towel tubes and covered them in foil to make 'em more spaceship-ish, and gave them to the kids at my birthday party. We also had a "pin the cape on Darth Vader" game she made with a Star Wars door-length poster and some construction paper.

In 5th or 6th grade, she made me an awesome Spider-Man costume. Instead of eye holes, it had a bunch of little slits cut in front of the eyes. Enough to see out of pretty well, but not very obvious to people looking at me.

And in some earlier grade, I was this for Halloween:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Thekraken/Prime.gif

:D

c. page
06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
My parents had a rule for us during the summers that we could stay up as late as we wanted (from about 7 years old on) but we had to be reading in our rooms while doing so. I think it helped develop a love of reading that's stuck with my sisters and I, by making it a condition of a reward, instead of a bad thing.

I'm sure they did other cool stuff, but that stands out for some reason.

Blake Sims
06-09-2011, 11:36 AM
My parents had a rule for us during the summers that we could stay up as late as we wanted (from about 7 years old on) but we had to be reading in our rooms while doing so. I think it helped develop a love of reading that's stuck with my sisters and I, by making it a condition of a reward, instead of a bad thing.

That's pretty great!

WhindamPryce
06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
God damn you all for having nice childhood memories!

PatrickA
06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
When I was younger, my folks had the Gatlin brothers, Kris Kirstofferson, Johnny and June Cash over for dinner. That's kind of cool.

That's more than "kind of" cool.

TIP
06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
My sister ran away from home during the middle of her senior year of high school with the love of her life (temporary) Carlos. Their plans were to move to Colorado and Carlos would paint signs to support him (apparently knew someone in the hustle-bustle world of Sign Painters). As they were loading up his car, my father (Jim the Sicilian) took one of those old school old man Winter Shovels (the kind that can hold a metric shit ton of snow) and clobbered young Horny Carlos across the back with it...laying him out in the snow bank in the process.

Sure, it didn't stop my sister from leaving (nor coming back several months later knocked-up and Carlos-less...well, except for the seed within) but, damn, was it a joyous moment to witness that shovel coming down on Carlos by a dude that looks like Popeye mated with a Hairless Chimp (that's my dad!).

Ryudo
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
My Dad was in the Navy and supporting both of us while my Mom was finishing up school. She traveled an hour each way, every weekday to get to school and worked her tail off.

So anyway living on one income and Dad being in Virginia and us in Arkansas, we were a little cash-strapped. More than a little.

But anyway one weekend while Dad was on leave and back home, we decided to go to the movies. The car was in the shop, so we decided to just hoof it the three miles to the movie theater. High-quality family time. I don't remember what movie we went to see, and the theater is probably torn down and replaced with one that has stadium seating and junk now, but I do remember walking and talking and goofing off with Dad and looking up at the stars and stuff.

That was fun.

HOOKS
06-09-2011, 11:54 AM

I am using that reward for when I have kids. Thanks, dude. :)

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
When my brother and I were younger we had just been exposed to A Christmas Story, and loved it. On Christmas morning, after opening our gifts, my dad "noticed" two more gifts hiding in the back room. They weren't actual BB guns, but just pop guns. Still, it was really cool and we had those things forever.

Also, my parents were pretty relaxed about alcohol when we were growing up. So theres that.

justjeffery
06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
My dads one of the guys that gets called when shit hits the fan in the oilfield.... BP called him last summer to see how he would plug the well in gulf.. stuff like that.

I remember dad, who was more often drunk than not, taking me to get fireworks and leaving with over a grand worth (in the late 70s even) and doing fireworks until the cops came... then doing them more until the cops came back.

HomerGator
06-09-2011, 12:08 PM
My mom spent hours and hours making my little brother a Flash costume for Halloween. It is incredibly good for a hand-made costume.

The coolest thing that either of them did, though, was to take me to the comic book store no matter where we lived (and it was usually far away, no matter where we lived). They would always have to wait approximately a million times longer than they had anticipated, because as soon as I would get in there I would lose all track of time. They never complained, and often gave me a few extra bucks so I could get that extra Spider-Man, or X-Men, or Batman comics.

For Christmas last year my mom went to my LCS and bought every book in my pull box (it was like 250 bucks worth!). That was an awesome Christmas.

HomerGator
06-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Also, my dad has gotten me into the UF locker room at Gators' home games like ten times, and he's introduced me to Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook, Urban Meyer, athletic director Jeremy Foley, and former players Danny Wuerffel, Fred Taylor, Travis McGriff (who was Mark Wahlberg's stunt double in INVINCIBLE), Percy Harvin, Riley Cooper, Rex Grossman, Jesse Palmer, and of course, Tim Tebow.

I say all that because I think that my dad would say that the coolest thing I ever did was when I had a chance to introduce him to Gators' basketball coach Billy Donovan.

Marcdachamp
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Off the top of my head, I can just think of the little stuff, but there's a lot of that:

-Throughout High School, my Mom would let me skip like once a month. I'd strategically plan them for days she didn't work the night before so we could go to lunch together.

-My Dad bribed me with a comic book every time I scored a goal in hockey. I got a lot of comics, despite my career high 3 goals or so. He'd also bring me some on his way home from work a few times. :)

-Speaking of hockey, my Dad's been taking me to games since I was 5. It took me like 9 years to actually become a real fan. I'd never have that love if not for him.

-My Mom filled out my application for my first job ever. I hated the place for the first month, stayed 8 years and made some of the best friends of my life there.

BriRedfern
06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
My mom used to randomly take me out of school for a "family emergency" and drive us down to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, or Universal Studios. And whenever there was a field trip, everyone wanted to go with my mom because she would take our group to get food and sometimes Toys R Us.

Just thinking about those days makes me smile. :)

My father would do the same thing. And although it would be unimaginable now, he used to take my best friend of school with me. Pretty much once a year he would do this and take me to the children's museum or something. Great memories. I will do it for my kid for sure.

BriRedfern
06-09-2011, 12:26 PM

My wife and I do this with the kid. She is in Kindergarden, and the deal is my wife sneaks her books and tells her she can read them and I act like she is getting away with something and tricking me. It is great and she is a strong reader for her age. Right now she loves Fancy Nancy.

Ryudo
06-09-2011, 12:27 PM
My Dad drove me to high school once I started my sophomore year, until I got my car my senior year. We talked about various stuff and listened to Lex & Terry. It was awesome.

Also, I was in band during high school (woo!) and they came to every football game, marching competition, and concert. Which was awesome.

Ryudo
06-09-2011, 12:28 PM
My wife and I do this with the kid. She is in Kindergarden, and the deal is my wife sneaks her books and tells her she can read them and I act like she is getting away with something and tricking me. It is great and she is a strong reader for her age. Right now she loves Fancy Nancy.

That's awesome, dude. Keep it up.

BriRedfern
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
My sister ran away from home during the middle of her senior year of high school with the love of her life (temporary) Carlos. Their plans were to move to Colorado and Carlos would paint signs to support him (apparently knew someone in the hustle-bustle world of Sign Painters). As they were loading up his car, my father (Jim the Sicilian) took one of those old school old man Winter Shovels (the kind that can hold a metric shit ton of snow) and clobbered young Horny Carlos across the back with it...laying him out in the snow bank in the process.

Sure, it didn't stop my sister from leaving (nor coming back several months later knocked-up and Carlos-less...well, except for the seed within) but, damn, was it a joyous moment to witness that shovel coming down on Carlos by a dude that looks like Popeye mated with a Hairless Chimp (that's my dad!).

When I was young my older brother (4 years older than me) played the clarinet and he really liked it. But one day when he had a lesson he was being a little bitch and didn't want to go and told my mother he didn't want to play anymore. They argued and she told him it was fine if he didn't want to go to his lesson or have anymore, but he had to tell his teacher. He was screaming the whole way there in the car about not wanting to do it and when we got to the school where his lessons were, he took off out of the car, climbed a fence and tried to run away. He must have been 10 or 11 at the time and I watched in stunned silence from the back seat of the car as my mother gave chase, vaulted over the chain link fence, over took him and tackled him to the ground. She dragged him into that school and made him tell the teacher he was quitting.

This was my big brother. I had no doubt my mom could kick my ass from that day forward. It was awesome.

Marcdachamp
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM
When Star Wars Episode 1 came out, my Mom bought me pretty much EVERY figure in the line. It was the first Star Wars movie I was around for the real release of (aka non-special edition) and she bought them for me one by one, almost daily. I'd get up for school just as she was getting home for work, and she'd have Darth Maul waiting for me.

Albert
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/239649/saturday-night-live-bedelia-sleepover

Georgie
06-09-2011, 12:55 PM
The X-Mas the Super Nintendo came out, I wanted one so fucking badly just for Street Fighter II. I was probably 6 or 7 around this time. They used to go to this poolhall/bar called Styx (like the band) and give me a few quarters, and that's really where my love of video games began.

So X-Mas morning, I've all ready opened the SNES, and I'm tearing through any present that looks like it could be a video game. I ended up getting Super Star Wars and TMNT: Turtles in Time. The presents are all pretty much opened, and I'm happy I got the SNES and other presents, but I really wanted Street Fighter II. My dad hands me a present that looks like a short, wide tube, and says "Ok, here's the last one of this X-Mas. I hope it's good!" I lethargically opened the present, and it was a can of coffee, emptied, with Street Fighter II inside. I'm glad my parents weren't recording it, but I would be YouTube famous as shit.

Also, on every Christmas, my dad would get just the two of us tickets to see the Washington Bullets. We lived in the southeast end of Virginia, so the trip to DC was about four hours (which is an eternity for a kid) but I always looked forward to it. The car ride was fun, we'd go sightseeing in DC, and then get a hotel and go to the game. I don't think we ever saw the Bullets/eventually the Wizards, ever win a single time. We didn't care if they won or lost (well, we wanted them to win) but the trips were always a blast. Plus, I got to see Michael Jordan play with both the Bulls and the Wizards, so that was pretty awesome.

PS: This is an awesome thread.

Doc Randy
06-09-2011, 12:57 PM
My dad ran a business in West Texas in the oil fields. As the owner of the company, he was very good to his employees. If there were cost overruns or unknown expenses, he never shorted the workers. There were many many times where my father was the one guy who made the least amount on a job. He would say, "It isn't the worker's fault I didn't put in a high enough bid." You take care of your people first, then yourself.

Anyways... He gave his employees an option: You could get paid a steady salary paycheck year round, or you could get an hourly wage that will widely fluctuate. One guy took the salary, but was a total shitbag. He ended up being fired for gross incompetence. A while later, he tried to sue my father for back overtime pay, even though he had chosen the salaried option. The suit was dropped, but my father still had to pay legal fees to get it taken care of. But this guy just kept going to different lawyers and kept suing. Every time, it was dismissed. This was like 7 or 8 suits. Finally, my father got about a dozen of his immigrant oil field workers and drove to the jerk's place. In something like out of the movies, my dad says, "if you try to sue me one more time, I will have you killed and buried out in the west Texas desert. Nobody will ever find your body. Ever. You see these men here with me? They and their families rely on me to pay them and when you sue, you are taking money out of their hands and out of their kids mouths. Do you think any of them would hesitate for a second?" The guy said, "yeah, but you'll go to jail." My dad responded, "maybe. possibly. But I guarantee you'll be dead."

The guy never sued again.

My brother once witnessed my father dangling a man off the roof of a building for refusing to pay up on a job. Dad always said that you go the legal/lawyer route when that is what you think will be effective. But sometimes, the only way to make some people do the right thing is to scare some sense into them.

I've always respected my dad for doing the right thing for his people, even when it would have been very easy for him to profit by doing the wrong thing. The man has a great deal of integrity and the strength to back it up.

The Funketeer
06-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Lots of reading experts recommend techniques like this now. Trying to encourage your child to read in bed after they should be sleeping (under the blanket with a flashlight is a classic) is a great way to make them avid readers.

The Funketeer
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
My dad and I couldn't be more different. I'm a teacher, he's a municipal bond trader. He is virtually friendless while I have many. He has 6 kids, I'm stopping at 2. But to his credit, he did a lot during my childhood to encourage me to go in directions that weren't necessarily his first choice.

When I was 6 I got off the bus from summer camp to find my dad waiting for me (in the middle of the afternoon). We got in the car and waited in line for what seemed like forever to see a movie I'd never even heard of. Star Wars.

When I was in jr. high school I started getting into comic books. I was buying them at the local drug store but I would see ads for comic book shops in the back of my comics. One day, on the way home from somewhere in the city, we stopped at Comics For Heroes on West Foster in Chicago and my buying habits changed forever.

He also drove me to my first two Chicago Comicons.

Later, in high school, when it became apparent that this comic thing was more than a passing interest, my dad, along with my social worker arranged for a friend and I to take a tour of the First Comics offices in Chicago. I got to meet the editors and see the old Mac they made Shatter on.

Took me to my first concert (Styx - Kilroy Was Here).

The Zevad
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
When my father was a teenager he and his oldest brother went into the mountains. There was an avalanche. My father and his brother were buried in rocks. His brother died and my father was trapped in the rubble. He had to look at his brother's dead body and endure the pain for fifteen hours before he was freed.

Don't know if that's cool. But it reminds me why I love my dad. He's a tough old bird.

RebootedCorpse
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Once, my late mom ventured into the comic store and picked me up ASM # 10. It was for no reason other than she knew it wold make me happy. That is one of my prize books to this day.

Schroedingers Cat
06-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Every year on 4th of July, my Dad would buy an absolute shit-ton of Fireworks and put on a display for the whole neighborhood. When it was over there was inches of exploded firework papers covering the street.

He also made his own Super M80 every year. He would get an M80 type cylinder (but larger) and open up a lot of firecrakers and take out the gunpowder. He would pack the cylinder and put in a wick and light that as the finale to the night. One year it was so powerful that when he lit it and was running away, the explosion knocked him flat to the ground. It was completely fucking awesome.

His July 4ths were legendary.

Jim

HomerGator
06-09-2011, 04:32 PM
When my father was a teenager he and his oldest brother went into the mountains. There was an avalanche. My father and his brother were buried in rocks. His brother died and my father was trapped in the rubble. He had to look at his brother's dead body and endure the pain for fifteen hours before he was freed.

Don't know if that's cool. But it reminds me why I love my dad. He's a tough old bird.

That is horrifying. Your dad is made of steel.

NeverWanderer
06-09-2011, 04:39 PM
My father played the Ed Sullivan show.

jamestolliver
06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
My dad used to let me skip school on the Friday following the release of the Harry Potter movies and he'd take me to go see them. He was a real softy and me and my sister used to bully him into making us grilled cheeses at midnight in the summer. He made really awesome shrimp creole. Those are some of my favorite memories of him.

I've heard a lot of cool stories about him as a fire fighter and ambulance driver.

Years ago when my mom was pregnant with me, she would coordinate youth opportunity summer jobs and one of those jobs was at a place that made summer lunches for summer school and recreation facilities. She would do everything from payroll to health inspections. One day she was waiting for the bus (mind you, it's a hot ass Baltimore summer day and she's pregnant) and this dude comes over to her and whips out his dick and says something. lewd to her...so she took out her meat thermometer and chased him down the block, threatening to stab him in the dick.

She also testified for Jimmy Hoffa Jr. when this guy tried to rip of the teamsters for thousands of dollars.

I think my mom's work is insanely cool and has helped out thousands of needy people find long term employment.

Marcdachamp
06-10-2011, 05:24 AM
For Christmas last year my mom went to my LCS and bought every book in my pull box (it was like 250 bucks worth!). That was an awesome Christmas.

My Mom did that for me for Easter one year! It wasn't $250 worth, but it was a pretty hefty amount of books. It took me getting to the third book in the pile to realize that it was my pull file. I thought she just made some good picks. :lol:

:eek: Holy shit, man. That's absolutely insane.

cPol
06-10-2011, 06:36 AM
When I was a kid, starting at about the age of 6 or so, and I'd get sick and have to stay home from school, my dad would bring me comic books from the variety store that he picked up on the way home from work. I consider that memory one of the major factors in my life that made me who I am today.

justjeffery
06-10-2011, 07:36 AM
I missed a ton of school due to scarlet fever in the second grade... I was doing the work at home, but they still wouldnt let me pass to third grade. My father, a friend and a .45 magnum changed the principles mind. Not sure if that was cool or not, but it worked.

Went to see a live wrestling show with my father and grandfather (moms dad)... I was around 6 or so... and I kept yelling for the bad guys (the Midnight Express).. two drunk rednecks next to us took offense and told dad to shut me up or they would... the night ended with my father, myself and my grandfather hiding under the truck until the crowd left...

I learned to shoot when i was WAY too young and also shown where my dads stash of Penthouse was when I was 7 or so... as long as mom, my sister or friends didnt know.

Oh, yeah.. dad was a drunk until I was 14. After that, he became a normal dad... it made him less adventurous

Fourthman
06-10-2011, 07:43 AM
My dad was a page for the Jack Paar tonight show. He said he's never heard anyone curse as casually and as knowledgeably as Lucille Ball.

My mother, in her teens was a candy striper at the hospital on Roosevelt Island. One day, she was down in the morgue and walked in on the dissection of a cadaver. The doctor conducting the procedure saw her and offered her the chance to hold the severed hand of the corpse. She held it and from that day forward knew she was going to be a nurse.