PDA

View Full Version : DC should just retire Wally West.

SteveFlack
06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Y'know, like they did Jack Knight. Get Mark Waid in, let him write a story where Wally loses his powers, and then let him walk off into the sunset, with his wife and kids, and let them live happily ever after.

Until, of course, some hack 10 years from now thinks it'll be great to bring him back as a shock villain. Maybe he can even rape Iris.

There you go, DC. You can have that one, free of charge.

Patrick Gerard
06-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Er... I think he needs a past to have a future like that.

artimoff
06-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I hear they're retiring all their characters come september.

Mattman
06-08-2011, 10:36 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f332/bobrosswasright/spideyflash.gif

Taxman
06-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Probably why this whole reboot thing won't amount to much of anything; far too many characters. How far down the totem poll do you have to go to find a character which does not have multiple versions running around? And then even if they retire some of them, they are inevitably brought back.

dougmac
06-09-2011, 12:01 AM
I love all those second generation characters. Dick, Wally, Conner Hawke, Kyle Raynor were all great. The next generation is too with Tim Drake, Jaime Reyes, Conner Kent, Bart Allen, Cassandra Cain, and Damien if you want to put him in that group. It's going to make the reboot interesting.

valentine
06-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Y'know, like they did Jack Knight. Get Mark Waid in, let him write a story where Wally loses his powers, and then let him walk off into the sunset, with his wife and kids, and let them live happily ever after.

Until, of course, some hack 10 years from now thinks it'll be great to bring him back as a shock villain. Maybe he can even rape Iris.

There you go, DC. You can have that one, free of charge.

You know what? This is a great idea -- everything up to the rape. I could do with less rape.

The Governor
06-09-2011, 03:51 AM
I think retiring him seems like a good idea, I also like the idea of him coming back as a rapist, although he should rape Barry, and Bart. He could keep his powers because that way he could rape lots of people really quickly.

In fact, thinking about it, just to throw a bit of foreshadowing in there, why not have the reason he disappears for ten years be that he gets sent down for raping a dog or something. That way, whehn he finally does come back as SpeedRapist we can link it back in the continuity?

CapnChaos
06-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Or, since he's the best Flash, you could just rekill Barry "Worthless Dickhead" Allen and bury him in the cold, cold ground and then everyone is happy except old virgins that masturbate onto the mylar sleeve over their hermetically sealed copies of Silver Age stories about superheroes getting fat or fighting clouds or changing races.

BriRedfern
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
The should have just left Wally as the Flash. He was by far the most successful replacement hero. If Barry had to come back, he should have taken a Jay Garrick-like mentor role, not replaced Wally.

leviathan
06-09-2011, 01:19 PM
If he even exists come September, its the least they can do.

The past couple of years have not been kind to Wally fans, sadly. :(

PhilipClark
06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Wally's my favorite Flash. Shut your mouth. :-)

Generic Poster
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
The should have just left Wally as the Flash. He was by far the most successful replacement hero.

Yes. Barry went out a hero, and his long-time protege stepped into his shoes and filled them admirably. There was no reason to bring Barry back.

Hal, I can somewhat understand since they turned him into a mass-murdering psycho and replaced him with a totally new character.

BriRedfern
06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Yes. Barry went out a hero, and his long-time protege stepped into his shoes and filled them admirably. There was no reason to bring Barry back.

Hal, I can somewhat understand since they turned him into a mass-murdering psycho and replaced him with a totally new character.

Absolutely. And I liked Kyle, but he never established himself in the same way Wally did. Perhaps it was the different costume that always screamed "no, I'm not THAT Green Lantern."

The original Crisis had some of the best deaths in comics. The Flash and Supergirl went out strong. Barry's death was particularly powerful, well developed and rewarding. I know I am old and grumpy, but Barry should have been left as icon who set an example to be aspired to. The Flash has always been a generational story and Wally was flling the role admirably.

majorjoe23
06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
This is why I just ignore the parts of the DCU I don't like (which is most of it at this point). Wally is still the Flash! No rapes! No dead cat weapons!

As far as I'm concerned, all that is left of DC is what Morrison and Simone write.

Spidey616
12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Fingers crossed!

Dan DiDio's Christmas Present To Readers Is...Wally West?! (http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/12/27/wally-west-new-52/)

scs
12-27-2012, 07:03 PM
You misspelled 'rehire.'

Masculine Todd
12-27-2012, 07:06 PM
They should just make Tim Drake the real successor.

scs
12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
You misspelled 'rehire.'Mind you, it'll only be as a freelancer and at a reduced page rate. But a job's a job, right?

JBElliott
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Reset the DC comics to match the DC Universe shown in Young Justice and everything would be much better and we'd have a nice Wally West.