PDA

View Full Version : [comics] Bendis' Heroic Age New Avengers: Best Defenders Comic in a While

Phantom Eagle
05-28-2011, 10:29 AM
I recently read the first volume of the new New Avengers. It was the best Defenders comic book I've read since the 70s. Kind of like The Defenders meets Heroes for Hire meets Marvel Two-in-One meets Marvel Team-Up.

Great art by Stuart Immonen. Lots of old-timey Bronze Age favorite characters. Son of Satan, Doctor Strange, Doctor Voodoo, Power Man and Iron Fist, Spidey and the Thing trading quips. Plus Ms. Marvel, Mockingbird, Vicki Hand and Jessica Jones, a few of my favorite Marvel heroines. And of course, the ubiquitous Wolverine.

Like a Seventies party on the page. Great use of magic. The Eye of Agamotto! Certain doom for our dimension! A really fun book. A baker's dozen of characters, and still everyone gets some face time, a good line or two, and a reason to be there. I haven't enjoyed a Defenders comic book this much since 1975. Excelsior!

Slewo.O
05-28-2011, 10:39 AM
What's your point exactly?

KSChris
05-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I could be mistaken, but I think he's saying he likes it. And that it feels like a Defenders comic.

Phantom Eagle
05-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I liked it.

It took me back to a favorite time in my comic book past.

The art was good.

It reminded me of some titles from the Seventies I really enjoyed.

I haven't seen a reboot of The Defenders that garnered my interest in about forty years.

While this is ostensibly an Avengers title, it read more like an issue of The Defenders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_%28comics%29), with some Power Man and Iron Fist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Man_and_Iron_Fist), some Marvel Two-in-One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Two-in-One) and some Marvel Team-Up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Team-Up) thrown in for good measure. Those were all favorite titles of mine, because they usually featured lesser-known characters, or well-known characters teaming up with folks that you usually didn't seeing them sharing adventures with. This was like that.

I dug it.

Cheers.

KSChris
05-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I agree about the book. I've only read the first arc of each Avengers book because I read everything in trade, but I liked it more than Avengers.

Taxman
05-28-2011, 11:03 AM
If I had known that New Avengers had Doctor Strange and Silver Surfer, I probably would have tried reading it while ago.

Artie Pink
05-28-2011, 11:20 AM
One of the characters says they're obviously The Defenders in the story itself.

Taxman
05-28-2011, 11:32 AM
One of the characters says they're obviously The Defenders in the story itself.

Are they?

Who is actually on the team?

Artie Pink
05-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Are they?

Who is actually on the team?

Right now:

Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones

Spider-Man
Wolverine
Thing

Doctor Strange
Mockingbird
Ms. Marvel

Victoria Hand
er, Squirrel Girl
Wong

costello
05-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Who is Squirrel Girl? Is she new or another throw away character Bendis is breathing life into?

Slewo.O
05-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Who is Squirrel Girl? Is she new or another throw away character Bendis is breathing life into?

I'm no SG fan, but come on!

Taxman
05-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Right now:

Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones

Spider-Man
Wolverine
Thing

Doctor Strange
Mockingbird
Ms. Marvel

Victoria Hand
er, Squirrel Girl
WongA bit on the oversized side, eh?

Ryudo
05-28-2011, 12:21 PM

The latter, pretty much.

Artie Pink
05-28-2011, 12:27 PM
A bit on the oversized side, eh?

Doesn't really feel that way, actually. Bendis has done a good job of grouping them off.

Howlett
05-28-2011, 12:28 PM
The latter, pretty much.

Yup. Except for the whole "breathing new life into her" thing.

She'll never not suck.

Artie Pink
05-28-2011, 12:30 PM
I think the Squirrel Girl long-term arc is going to go like this:

- babysitting in the background

- kicks ass saving the day once

- insightful and endearing comments over time

- shocking savage and brutal death defending the baby

- we're all sad and shocked, and say "wow, Bendis really made something of that character"

KSChris
05-28-2011, 12:38 PM
A bit on the oversized side, eh?

Well, Hand is basically in the Maria Hill role. Squirrel Girl is just the nanny for Luke and Jessica's baby. And Wong is Dr. Strange's Jarvis. So neither really counts as a team member..

Then Wolverine, Spider-Man, and The Thing are all basically part-time, splitting duties with the reg. Avengers and the FF. So it becomes a much more manageable team when you take all that into account.

Spidey616
05-28-2011, 12:48 PM

I'm no SG fan, but come on!

What Slew.O said, except I've LOVED the character since Dan Slott used her in his GLA mini.

You shoulda seen the reaction when they announced SG as the Cage's babysitter at the NYCC :)

TIP
05-28-2011, 01:04 PM

- we're all sad and shocked, and say "wow, Bendis really made something of that character"

I would have stopped at the second to last bit.

Taxman
05-28-2011, 01:09 PM
- we're all sad and shocked, and say "wow, Bendis really made something of that character":lol:

Slewo.O
05-28-2011, 01:12 PM
I would have stopped at the second to last bit.

If Squirrel Girl gets killed by anything that would be insane. If she can defeat M.O.D.O.K, Thanos, and Korvac there's no way she'd lose to Nazi robots. :)

TIP
05-28-2011, 01:46 PM
If Squirrel Girl gets killed by anything that would be insane. If she can defeat M.O.D.O.K, Thanos, and Korvac there's no way she'd lose to Nazi robots. :)

Howabout Das Boot?

BENDIS!
05-28-2011, 03:56 PM
nope. its the avengers. says it right on the cover :)

luke, spidey, strange and fist have been avengers now for years.

Slewo.O
05-28-2011, 03:57 PM

*puts on reading glasses.* But it's all there in hidden code. "The Defenders", you can't miss it. :lol:

The Zevad
05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
In Squirrel Girl's defense she doesn't need any "new life breathed into her." Dan Slott did that just fine.

The Zevad
05-28-2011, 04:55 PM

No it's not. It's the Defenders calling themselves the Avengers. Get it right.

Taxman
05-28-2011, 05:11 PM
nope. its the avengers. says it right on the cover :sherlock:

Will
05-28-2011, 05:12 PM
In Squirrel Girl's defense she doesn't need any "new life breathed into her." Dan Slott did that just fine.
Indeed.

Although I will admit, the first arc definitely had a more Defenders'ish vibe especially with Hellstorm there.

KSChris
05-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Well, they have done more defending than avenging so far..

Taxman
05-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Avengers who have been Defenders or Defenders who have been Avengers The complete list.

Doctor Strange
The Incredible Hulk
Namor the Sub-Mariner
Dane Whitman
Hawkeye
Power Man
The Thing
Yellowjacket
Hellcat
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Spider-Man
Nova *
Falcon **
Hercules **
Iron Fist **
Jack of Hearts **
Quasar **
Stingray **
Moondragon
Wasp
Black Panther
Beast
Reed Richards
Wonder Man
Captain America
Scarlet Witch
Vision
Darkhawk ***
Wolverine ***
Spider-Woman II ***
Thunderstrike ***
War Machine ***
Doctor Druid ***
U.S. Agent ***
She-Hulk *****
Yondu ****
Martinex ****
Charlie-27 ****
Starhawk ****
Vance Astro ****
Captain Mar-Vell ** ****

* Secret Avenger
** Defender for a Day
*** Secret Defender
*** Honorary Avenger
***** Initiative Defender

So one has Thor and Iron Man and the other has Silver Surfer and a fake Batman.

Other than that, pretty much all the same. :lol:

totalsellout
05-28-2011, 06:00 PM
i wonder where this team would be in sales with the same creators but the name defenders.

KSChris
05-28-2011, 06:18 PM
i wonder where this team would be in sales with the same creators but the name defenders.

Same place, I'd think. As long as you still have Wolverine and Spider-Man on the team, and Bendis' name on the cover, it doesn't matter what it's called.

Ryudo
05-29-2011, 05:34 AM

- Rian Fike makes weird thread saying how much he misses her

costello
05-29-2011, 05:50 AM

So she's relatively new? Meaning created in the last 10 years?

totalsellout
05-29-2011, 06:18 AM
older. i think shes from great lakes avengers (early 90's maybe?).

Dusto
05-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Hmm, I like the Defenders, but I wasn't a fan of the New Avengers when it first started (after Disassembled). What's a good jumping on point for this new, Defenders-y take on the team?

KSChris
05-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Hmm, I like the Defenders, but I wasn't a fan of the New Avengers when it first started (after Disassembled). What's a good jumping on point for this new, Defenders-y take on the team?

The old New Avengers book ended. This is not the same book. Start with New Avengers #1 from last year's relaunch.

totalsellout
05-29-2011, 03:56 PM

it really doesnt feel like the defenders, it just has a lot of the same faces. but it does not have that second tier feel to it, these guys feel like they are playing for the best team in the league, if that makes any sense.

Chris McCarver
05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
First appeared in Marvel Super Heroes #8, pub. January '92.

Phantom Eagle
05-29-2011, 04:48 PM
The first arc was about a supernatural threat that featured tons of magic, two Sorcerer's Supreme, Son of Satan, Power Man, Iron Fist, and Thing and Spidey being smartasses, with a bunch of other cool but not necessarily major players tossed in, and one or two major characters like Ms. Marvel and Wolverine.

When the original Defenders book came out, Sub-Mariner and Hulk had their own comics, and Doctor Strange and Silver Surfer were very popular characters. It wasn't so much that they were second-tier characters, as it was about them being characters that all had their own thing going, and joined the team to combat threats that weren't being addressed in the more science-fiction and action-oriented team books.

This feels a lot like a Defenders comic to me. I bought the first twenty issues of the first volume of The Defenders, all those years ago. As I said above, it mixes in a Heroes for Hire, Marvel Two-in-One, Marvel Team-Up feel, by having Luke Cage, Danny Rand, Spidey and the Thing team up with characters you normally wouldn't see them with.

Not sure what Defenders books you guys read, but the first few arcs of the very first series had a similar supernatural feeling, with the characters learning to work together, and overcoming their various individual trips. Plus, Daimon Hellstrom usually gave everybody a hard time throughout. Maybe I should've said Champions.

There are so many characters, and they are so free to come and go as they choose, that it also gives the book a similar "non-team" feel.

This is not to say it is in any way a second-tier book, or that by saying it has a Defenders-like feel to it that it is somehow less than a great team or a great book. It is a really cool team, and a really well-done comic. It just reminds me of the 70s, and of the non-Avengers teams of that era.

As a final thought, Hawkeye, Son of Satan, Luke Cage and the Thing were among the Defenders recruits of the early 70s, with Ms. Marvel and Spider-Man joining in the late 70s. Iron Fist was a Defender for a Day. And Spider-Man, Wolverine, Luke Cage and Iron Fist were Secret Defenders.

Cheers.