PDA

View Full Version : If You Have Kids

Gail Simone
05-23-2011, 06:13 AM
...do you share your comics/genre hobby with them at all?

sk716
05-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Yep. Mo reads and reviews kids comics. We are having some problems finding comics that aren't either too old or too young for her, though.

Fourthman
05-23-2011, 06:42 AM

My daughter is three and goes to a daycare with 4 other kids (one of whom is her male cousin of the same age). Due to some costume duplication, she now thinks all girls are princesses of varying identity (Ariel, Rapunzel, Tiana, etc.) and that all boys are Spiderman. So to answer the question, if I writer I respect does a kids book (like Spiegelman's "Open Me, I'ma a Dog"), then yeah, I'll share, but otherwise it's too early to share. I'm not reading things that I think are appropriate for my daughter, nor am I really interested in reading things that are (outside of storytime).

Tom Stillwell
05-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Totally. My daughter and I do comics, gaming and now even some RPG games together. Miranda's a good little geek!

stealthwise
05-23-2011, 08:05 AM
My daughters are quite young still (nearly 5 and 2), but they both love Spider-Man and Batman, and usually pretend to be them, or pretend to be Spider-Girl or Batgirl, and make me play the "Girls Night Out" episode from BTAS over and over and over again... apparently their love of cartoon violence is too much for them though, as the oldest has now declared that she is not allowed to watch a movie with guns in it until she is 7 (she actually created this criteria, no idea why).

The near-five-year-old was also horrified by the origin of Spider-Man as well. Damn tragedy in comics!

Corrina
05-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Oh, totally. The two older ones prefer manga, though my oldest daughter is a big Birds of Prey fan. The oldest son, 15, was just asking around for something after having read Gaiman's Good Omens. I promptly handed him our Sandman boxed set. He's mostly into manga as well.

Shurato2099
05-23-2011, 09:02 AM

I have no kids, until recently I had cats. Don't look at me like that!

I do, however, have a niece that's going to be turning 2-years-old in a couple of months and I totally plan to corrupt that kid starting with Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli when she's old enough. She's about ready for a stuffed Totoro.

c. page
05-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Helped raise my nephew til he was about six, and spent a lot of time reading comics with him, and having him read comics. We still go to the comic shop every so often when I do see him, and I will usually get him some kind of comics for Christman/birthday stuff.

elcinco
05-23-2011, 11:36 AM
My ex-husband and I are both steering our boys towards comics and the like. At 2 and 4, though, it's difficult to find comics that are both full of the superheros the elder wants to read/see and still age appropriate.

The Funketeer
05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I have a 5 year old daughter and another kid on the way. Outside of comics, I'm also interested in movies and play video games. I don't force or even try to steer her towards any of those things. They're available and she sees me with them all the time but I'd much rather she develop interests on her own.

As my friends and I are all having kids around the same time, I'm noticing that geeks can be just as bad as the overbearing sports dads who try to relive their high school glory again through their children. In some ways, they seem a little worse since they seem to be trying to grow another friend rather than raise a son or daughter. My daughter LOVES to "read" and be read to but comics don't seem to interest her as much and books do and I'm fine with that.

Kingsmythe
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
I have no kids, nor am I going to. But one of my closest friends has a very precocious daughter who has become wholly obsessed with heroes in general, and Wonder Woman in particular. She can rattle off the members of the JSA, JLA, etc, and for story time, she likes her dad to tell her about problems happening so she can figure out who to send to help, whose powers would work best.

She's four.

MacQuarrie
05-23-2011, 05:22 PM
They all read some comics. My youngest is trying to get hired at our local comics shop.

MacQuarrie
05-23-2011, 05:23 PM
My 2-year-old nephew, Logan, has more Wolverine stuff than he knows what to do with.

RobStaeger
05-23-2011, 05:24 PM
I pass them on to our nieces and nephews. Our ferret doesn't seem to appreciate them, though.

Artful Angie
05-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes. My children enjoy comics very much.

ScandalSavage
05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
The kids both read comics, have action figures and comic tee shirts. I was actually pretty happy with my daughter recently. I had bought her a tee-shirt with Batgirl, Supergirl and Wonder Woman at the beginning of the school year and I hadn't see it on her in awhile. I thought she might be getting "too cool" for it. But on Free Comic book Day she came downstairs with it on and wore it the whole day.

Chrysame
05-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I tried to get my daughter interested but she never caught the bug. I once asked why she didn't like them and she said that all the female superheroes had huge balloon chests. Out of the mouth of babes.

MacQuarrie
05-23-2011, 07:24 PM
I tried to get my daughter interested but she never caught the bug. I once asked why she didn't like them and she said that all the female superheroes had huge balloon chests. Out of the mouth of babes.

Dig up the early Post-Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes books. The first couple of years were pretty good, and not a gigantic boob to be found. My daughter loved the book when she was 8-10. Lots of kick-ass girls in sensible costumes.

Danimal
05-23-2011, 08:10 PM
My 6 year old son is definitely into superheroes, albeit primarily through cartoons at this point (Justice League Unlimited and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes being his two favorites). My two year old daughter thinks Supergirl is awesome and already recognizes and says Batman and Spiderman.

Hell's Teeth
05-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Yes, my 13-year-old boy is a big Green Lantern fan and loves Justice League cartoons, as do I. When he's staying with me our trip to the comic shop is always a highlight.

Cam63
05-24-2011, 01:37 AM
As a proud uncle, I'm trying my neice on all things comics.

So far, she likes Wonder Woman, Black Canary and Smash Girl ( her name for Hawk Girl ).

...Hopefully it'll take.