PDA

View Full Version : [game] Peyton Hillis lands cover of Madden '12 ...

Roman Noodles
04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Didn't see a Madden 2012 thread yet ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6438406

ESPN.com users have spoken, and the face of Madden NFL 12 will be Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis.

Hillis was announced Wednesday as the winner of the fan vote, under way since March 21, on "SportsNation" on ESPN2. In all, almost 13 million votes were cast during the process -- including more than 1 million in the final.

[+] Enlarge
Jason Miller/US Presswire
Peyton Hillis completed his surprising run through the Madden cover bracket and will be the face of this year's game.
The 10th-seeded Hillis overwhelmingly defeated Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick, seeded third, garnering 66 percent of the vote in the final of the 32-player bracket to become the cover of this year'’s version of the popular NFL video game franchise. This is the first year fans were allowed to vote for the game's cover.

After he was named the winner, Hillis said he was "excited" and that he didn't think he had a shot against Vick, whom he has "always looked up to."

Hillis acknowledged the support he has received from Browns fans and said: "I just want to tell them thanks and I'm going to play my best for them."

Vick said he was happy for Hillis and was proud of how far he made it in the voting.

"My fans, they stuck in there," Vick said. "I made it this far and that’s a plus for me."

Hillis upset higher seeds throughout the vote. Hillis beat Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice (the No. 7 seed); Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan (No. 2); Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles (No. 6); and No. 1 seed Green Bay Packers quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers to get to the final.

Hillis was buoyed by an online campaign that included front-page treatment on the Browns' website, as well as ongoing Twitter and Facebook campaigns by the team.

Hillis Wins Madden Cover Vote
Peyton Hillis ran over the competition and onto the Madden 12 cover! What does it mean? Robinson blog

• Hillis/Vick chat wrap
• Photos: Hillis zoom gallery

In an ESPN.com chat earlier Wednesday with Hillis and Vick, the Browns' running back said he'’s not afraid of the "Madden Curse." Several players have been injured or had down years the season immediately after being on the game's cover -- including Vick, who suffered a broken leg before the 2003 season (Vick was on the cover of Madden NFL 2004, which was released in August 2003) and missed 11 of the Atlanta Falcons' games that year.

"For people to believe in this so-called curse, I can't wait to prove people wrong," he said. "From what I believe and where I am in my spiritual life, it would be good to prove them wrong in that sense."

(full article at link)

Can there be a curse if there is no season? Is Hillis going to trip over his coffee table and miss his vacation in Cancun? :lol:

KSChris
04-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Since the Browns are cursed anyway, the Madden curse would be nullified.. it's like a double negative.

Mwstattel
04-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Not putting him on my fantasy team.

Ryudo
04-27-2011, 02:55 PM
He already had the effect of the curse when he got traded from the Broncos to the Browns.

Magnum V.I.
04-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Biggest mistake of McDaniel's career.

I hated seeing Hillis leave. But still, Fuck Jay Cutler. That's what this thread is about right?

Roman Noodles
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM

I hated seeing Hillis leave. But still, Fuck Jay Cutler. That's what this thread is about right?

He's rather busy dipping his fail stick into the deep, deep levels of suck that is a Hills' star.

Maestro
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
The guy lead me to a fantasy championship. I gotta give him my props.

Roman Noodles
04-27-2011, 03:14 PM
The guy lead me to a fantasy championship. I gotta give him my props.

Same.

Kingsumo
04-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Biggest but not the only one by a margin.

Also, I like Cutler well enough. I would still prefer him or Orton over Tebow in the QB slot. :(

Roman Noodles
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
... fuck Tim Tebow

Oh, sorry, reflex.

Ryudo
04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
... fuck Tim Tebow

Oh, sorry, reflex.

What kind? :lol:

Kingsumo
04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
... fuck Tim Tebow

Oh, sorry, reflex.

No, no. I think you should explore that emotion here. That is the right response.

Roman Noodles
04-27-2011, 03:23 PM
What kind? :lol:

I'm not exactly sure. Which just makes me angrier ... and hornier.

bartleby
04-27-2011, 03:52 PM
How many people voted for Peyton Hillis because...

- he's white?
- he's not Michael Vick?
- they thought he was Peyton Manning?

Roman Noodles
04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
............. I voted for him because he's awesome and he's not Michael Vick.

But I don't doubt that most of the people voted for him for at least one of the 3 reasons you mentioned.

Ryudo
04-27-2011, 03:56 PM
How many people voted for Peyton Hillis because...

- he's white?
- he's not Michael Vick?
- they thought he was Peyton Manning?
- The Browns need the Madden Curse to offset their yearly horribleness

Magnum V.I.
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Biggest but not the only one by a margin.

Also, I like Cutler well enough. I would still prefer him or Orton over Tebow in the QB slot. :(
Eh, McDaniels made mistakes, but Bowlen made lots as well in the entire situation. They set up Josh McDaniels to fail, and not to succeed. They let him surround himself with yes men and make horrible personal decisions.

And I'm perfectly happy with Orton. Dude puts up beast Fantasy numbers and that's the only stat that counts.

Kingsumo
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Eh, McDaniels made mistakes, but Bowlen made lots as well in the entire situation. They set up Josh McDaniels to fail, and not to succeed. They let him surround himself with yes men and make horrible personal decisions.

And I'm perfectly happy with Orton. Dude puts up beast Fantasy numbers and that's the only stat that counts.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bowlen was blameless, hell I still think he should have kept Shanahan, just rounded out the staff better, but after about halfway through the 09 season it really seemed like he was a bad fit, and last year did not help.

He may have been salvageable after enough time, but I think it is better for both him and Denver to just start fresh with someone else. We'll just think of him as the rebound coach ;)

Magnum V.I.
04-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bowlen was blameless, hell I still think he should have kept Shanahan, just rounded out the staff better, but after about halfway through the 09 season it really seemed like he was a bad fit, and last year did not help.

He may have been salvageable after enough time, but I think it is better for both him and Denver to just start fresh with someone else. We'll just think of him as the rebound coach ;)

I still think if they set him up for success and at least finished out the Season, he might have been able to turn stuff around, but they let him get too egotistical and fail.

I do like John Fox already though.

Roman Noodles
04-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Go talk about the Broncos in your own thread, losers.

The Robot Lord of Tokyo
04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I was bummed to hear the lockout was lifted. I was hoping if it stayed in place that EA would be forced to put star Omaha Nighthawks running back Maurice Clarett on the cover.