PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stand on comic artists modeling characters after actors?

trevor hale
04-21-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm curious what everyone thinks about this? Forgive me if this has been brought up before (I'm sure it has) but my search didn't really return anything.

I'm talking about Tony Stark in INVINCIBLE IRON MAN looking like Sawyer from LOST, JG Jones using Eminem as the main character for WANTED, etc...

I know Maleev uses a model for SCARLET, but I think that's a little different. Do you guys like it or does it distract you?

I'm curious what artists think about this, too.

information
04-21-2011, 07:49 AM
It takes me right out of the story. Every time.

Gregory
04-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Distracting, jarring, and I'm waiting for this to backfire when an actor goes OJ. What would Marvel do with those trades?

Matt!!
04-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm not a big fan of it and fortunately I don't read any titles where it glares out at me. I don't mind when it's altered enough that I can't instantly tell it's meant to be someone famous, I'm not talking about Greg Land tracing over a film still and adding different hair to it, I just mean when it's not necessarily a face I'd recognise. I don't read Iron Man but I've seen quite a few images where people have taken umbrage over the Lost thing and I can see why. I personally don't think it's as strong, and you're often reliant on a pose that doesn't always match the tone of the image (Land again). I think using a model to pose like Alex Ross or Maleev is fine as you're doing it for lighting and overall fit, and if you're using people who aren't instantly recognisable then you're creating a new image and moulding it to how you want it to be. Eminem in Wanted I thought actually made sense as it was very much an anti-establishment story and taking a regular white guy and making him into something bigger with more attitude and a short haircut, I felt it was a decent mirror of reality, creating a persona the same way that Eminem has (buy into it or not). It also was just a rough image rather than on the red carpet/film still poses so Jones blended it in better.

Ben
04-21-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't care either way.

RegularJoe
04-21-2011, 07:58 AM
sometimes it bugs me, other times it doesn't.

the iron man thing kinda bugs me.

tommy lee jones as norman osborn never bothered me.

robert deniro as the acting coach in JMS' spider-man run didn't bug me.

McGill
04-21-2011, 08:02 AM
sometimes it bugs me, other times it doesn't.

the iron man thing kinda bugs me.

tommy lee jones as norman osborn never bothered me.

robert deniro as the acting coach in JMS' spider-man run didn't bug me.

Same way I feel. And Deodato is the biggest offender.

AndrewG
04-21-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't really care for it. The one exception to this (and I don't know why it doesn't bother me) is how Gary Frank draws Superman just like Chris Reeve. Maybe because I already associated Reeve as Superman but in the other cases it's just annoying.

McGill
04-21-2011, 08:03 AM
I don't really care for it. The one exception to this (and I don't know why it doesn't bother me) is how Gary Frank draws Superman just like Chris Reeve. Maybe because I already associated Reeve as Superman but in the other cases it's just annoying.

He varies the face a bit as well. And seeing it as an homage of sorts helps.

mikeandzod87
04-21-2011, 08:04 AM
I have no problem with an artist using an actor for the basis of their character design but when they blatantly trace frames and still, I dislike.

Bervda
04-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Same way I feel. And Deodato is the biggest offender.

That's funny, because I'd never noticed that he does it.

McGill
04-21-2011, 08:11 AM
That's funny, because I'd never noticed that he does it.

Go back and flip through his Spidey run. As well as Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers. All of them have multiple actor stills.

Fourthman
04-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Love it when it's written well. But it will be disappointing when Simon Pegg doesn't play Wee Hughie in the film of The Boys.

Foolish Mortal
04-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Artists have been modeling characters after actors since the golden age. This isn't a "new" thing. And it doesn't bother me at all.

capntightpants
04-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Doesn't bother me.

artimoff
04-21-2011, 08:17 AM
If it doesn't look like they traced a photo I'm ok with it.

Sometimes it looks like Maleev just paints over a photo. Still art, just not the kind I want to see in a comic. His Moon Knight stuff looks so much better than Scarlet.

TheNatureRoy
04-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't like it, but then again, I have a rather extreme point-of-view considering that I think every film and television series would be better off if it only used relatively unknown actors (so long as the quality of acting could be maintained).

Celebrities take me out of the fiction in general.

Greygor
04-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Sometimes it works, but mainly if it's a cameo or in joke that everyone's happy to go along with.

At other times it's like a bad music choice in a film, your mind has a brain fart. the Watchmen film kept doing that to me.

A.Huerta
04-21-2011, 08:45 AM
I dont agree with the process for this medium.

It's comic books, bigger than life, crazy adventures and most importantly, to escape reality. I'm all for tracing/photo-manips/referencing when it comes to fine art, illustrations and concept work, but for comic books? No.

If we're just talking about using a likeness to base a character on, I'm cool with that, as long as it's from the head.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/Oak1and/Jack.jpg

Jef UK
04-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Usually I don't notice until threads like this point it out. Although, Tommy Lee Jones showing up in every comic for a few years there was sorta annoying I guess. It doesn't really bother me.

trevor hale
04-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Artists have been modeling characters after actors since the golden age. This isn't a "new" thing. And it doesn't bother me at all.

I realize it's not a new thing, but it's gotten a little more drastic and blatant over the past few years, like some people have pointed out.

trevor hale
04-21-2011, 09:20 AM
I dont agree with the process for this medium.

It's comic books, bigger than life, crazy adventures and most importantly, to escape reality. I'm all for tracing/photo-manips/referencing when it comes to fine art, illustrations and concept work, but for comic books? No.

If we're just talking about using a likeness to base a character on, I'm cool with that, as long as it's from the head.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/Oak1and/Jack.jpg

Ummm, that picture is awesome. Where did you get it?

NickT
04-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Doesn't bother me as long as they are consistent.

Also worth noting this has happened for a loooong time, the likenesses were just less noticable.

NickT
04-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I have no problem with an artist using an actor for the basis of their character design but when they blatantly trace frames and still, I dislike.
Yeah, there's a difference between reference and tracing.

Matt C. Linton
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
It's a distraction, most of the time. It's been one for me since Ross did it in Marvels (Timothy Dalton as Tony Stark, the Professor from Gilligan's Island as Reed Richards).

McGill
04-21-2011, 11:13 AM

He drew it.

kendorrr
04-21-2011, 11:24 AM
It works for me as long as the character already bore some sort of resemblance to the model being used. Like Tony Stark as Josh Holloway is a bit of a stretch, but I'm getting used to it. Norman Osborn as Tommy Lee Jones was perfect I thought. I think Deodato also used Selma Blair as the model for Mary Jane in JMS's Spidey. Normally I would disapprove of that, but I think he tweaked it just enough so that it worked.

Gregory
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Like Tony Stark as Josh Holloway is a bit of a stretch, but I'm getting used to it.

Why doesn't Marvel Comics cast in the comics the actors who play those roles in Marvel movies? Josh Holloway? Why not Downey Jr?

kendorrr
04-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Ultimately its the artist's choice, I imagine.

Kelly Tindall
04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm not a fan of it, but I'm super keen on comics that look less like reality. You can film reality.

Rian Fike
04-21-2011, 12:23 PM
The Squirrel Girl in Wolverine's sexual fantasies seems to be modeled after Marilyn Monroe:

http://sketchcardsaloon.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/wolverine-fantasy-squirrel-girl/

I don't mind.

McGill
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
The Squirrel Girl in Wolverine's sexual fantasies seems to be modeled after Marilyn Monroe:

http://sketchcardsaloon.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/wolverine-fantasy-squirrel-girl/

I don't mind.

I don't think you could be any more obsessed with a character. Do you read anything that doesn't have to to with the squirrel chick?

capntightpants
04-21-2011, 12:31 PM

I don't mind.

Still creepy.

capntightpants
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM

He draws them himself. He's a got a whole thread of his work here. And you can find him on Deviant Art.

Andrew
04-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I've always enjoyed Deodato's Tommy Lee Osborn. I love the realism of the stories that he draws. It's a big part of why he's become my favorite artist.

Rian Fike
04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't think you could be any more obsessed with a character. Do you read anything that doesn't have to to with the squirrel chick?

Longshot and X-Statix.

Besides, it seems to be working out pretty well. She has been getting some great pages lately.

Albert
04-21-2011, 01:31 PM
It took me right out of Buffy season 8.

McGill
04-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Longshot and X-Statix.

Besides, it seems to be working out pretty well. She has been getting some great pages lately.

As the cheapest background character ever?

McGill
04-21-2011, 01:35 PM

That one makes a bit of sense to me, but its drug out to hell.

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-21-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't give a shit.

Andrew
04-21-2011, 01:40 PM

What? How? :mistrust:

It's a comic continuing a TV show. That's kind of what it's supposed to do.

UltimateFactor
04-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Couldn't care less. You can say a character looks like anyone, celebrity or not. It might give me a mometary "hey, he looks like that one guy" pause, but that's it.

McGill
04-21-2011, 01:43 PM

It makes sense that they did it to me, but some frames are just stills. And that's a little annoying.

McGill
04-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Couldn't care less. You can say a character looks like anyone, celebrity or not. It might give me a mometary "hey, he looks like that one guy" pause, but that's it.

That's how we formulate opinions on who should play a character in our heads in the first place.

Every characters look is based off of someone in reality.

Albert
04-21-2011, 02:02 PM

You're right. It was way more distracting in the Muppets Take Manhattan adaptation from Star Comics.

Rian Fike
04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Still creepy.

Now canon.

Rian Fike
04-21-2011, 02:07 PM
You're right. It was way more distracting in the Muppets Take Manhattan adaptation from Star Comics.

The best movie adaptation, by far, was Mignola's Dracula. That kicked ass.

Kedd
04-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Don't really care. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't.

Ryudo
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM

I don't mind.
I'm sure you don't.

trevor hale
04-22-2011, 03:30 PM
He draws them himself. He's a got a whole thread of his work here. And you can find him on Deviant Art.

Awesome. Thank you. Will definitely check it out.