PDA

View Full Version : Weird Feeling

Gail Simone
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
A guy asked me to review his comic so he could get a blurb for his pr efforts.

Normally, I am happy to do so, and I usually am pretty happy with the books that are offered to me.

This guy's book...I didn't like. It's a professional effort, but it's not funny where it's supposed to be, there's a really bad gay joke in it, there are racial references that are supposed to be funny but are borderline offensive, and the whole thing feels dated, there's no flow to it, and it has no conflict.

I thought...maybe I could say SOMETHING nice.

But the truth is, it's not my fault he created the book this way. I have to be true to myself.

I told him I didn't like it, told him why, and said I couldn't endorse his book.

Then I felt guilty. But...I think I was right.

Right?

chazbot
04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Maybe "I couldn't endorse this" is just the type of blurb he's going for!

Kedd
04-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I think you did the right thing. Better to be honest than to tell the guy he wants to hear and possibly mislead folks who will pick it up based on your recommendation.

HOOKS
You were absolutely right. Do what works for you and what your gut tells you. Being true to yourself is the nicest and most honest thing you could do.

Ryudo

Normally, I am happy to do so, and I usually am pretty happy with the books that are offered to me.

This guy's book...I didn't like. It's a professional effort, but it's not funny where it's supposed to be, there's a really bad gay joke in it, there are racial references that are supposed to be funny but are borderline offensive, and the whole thing feels dated, there's no flow to it, and it has no conflict.

But the truth is, it's not my fault he created the book this way. I have to be true to myself.

I told him I didn't like it, told him why, and said I couldn't endorse his book.

Right?

http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/01464/correct_answer.gif

capntightpants
04-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Right?

Yeah, you were right. Did you feel like you needed to give him something good because he was a friend? Because if he's a friend, he would understand.

If you hardly know him, well, he's luck you read it in the first place.

Gregory
04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
He asked you to review it. You did. If he only wanted a blurb, he shouldn't have asked for a review.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
04-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I was in the checkout line at an Urban Outfitters once, and I picked up this book and read all the quotes on the back while I was waiting. Every single one was trashing the book, about how vile and disgusting it was, and how horrible of a human being the author was, which I found funny. Maybe you should have gone that route. :D

dasNdanger
04-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I am so glad I'm not famous.

das

Rian Fike
04-20-2011, 12:02 PM
You did good, and the fact it was difficult shows that you have a heart.

Bravo.

SteveFlack
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Was Glen Beck upset when you told him no?

Gail Simone
04-20-2011, 12:05 PM
He's not a friend. I just hate to slam someone trying to break in.

Anyway, thanks, guys, I think you're right. True is true.

Kingsumo
04-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Looks like you have gotten all the right feedback here. I would also agree that you certainly did what was right, and what was best.

Your feeling guilty about it is also normal though, I would say, just due to human politeness.

You could have slammed the book just as easily, but you went with the moral highroad, so props for that.

Gail Simone
04-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Was Glen Beck upset when you told him no?

HA. You think you're kidding, but I actually DID say no to Glenn Beck a while back.

Kingsumo
04-20-2011, 12:26 PM
HA. You think you're kidding, but I actually DID say no to Glenn Beck a while back.

:lol: For that, I love you.

Well, ok mostly for Secret Six, but that certainly helps.

Ray G.
04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I think you might have given him an important wake-up call before he showed it to other pros who might have been much less nice about it.

Fourthman
04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
It sounds like you did the right thing, but honestly it's difficult to object to anything you've laid out here. Your trepidation is an indicator that you obviously care, but without details, we have no reason not to support your course of action.

TV Zombie
04-20-2011, 12:55 PM
You did the right thing, stay true to yourself.

Unicornucopia
04-20-2011, 12:59 PM
It's okay to tell someone that you didn't like their stuff, especially if you have anything constructive to say about what it was that turned you off about it.

It's only mean when you tell him that he should die and you throw his stuff back in his face.

LenNWallace
04-20-2011, 01:05 PM
At least you spoke your mind on it. I've sent things off to people and just never got any response back at all. That's more of a pisser than just getting a bad review for me.

I've also been asked to give people honest critiques on their work before, and when I read something that doesn't agree with me or just doesn't work, I'll tell them so, because I appreciate honesty when it comes to my work, because it's the best way for me and anyone else to improve on it. Some people can take that for what it is, and some people take it personally and tell me to go fuck myself.

Don't feel bad, Gail. You spoke your mind honestly and if they want to be mad at it, that's their problem.

Roman Noodles
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM

I know it says way more about me than anyone else, but this totally struck me as sexual. :lol:

:surrend:

jason hissong
04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
That is what we call: integrity.

GelfXIII
04-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Right?

"PROFESSIONAL!" - Gail Simone

HOOKS
04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
"PROFESSIONAL!" - Gail Simone

I'd love to see him go one step further.

I... am pretty happy with the book.

This guy's book... like. It's a professional effort... funny where it's supposed to be.

[H]e created the book this way.

Endorse his book[!]

Tim Simmons
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
I had to do that for a BIG HOLLYWOOD FILM (not gonna say which one), but I was offered an advance screening to review-- I got there and it was the typical scene: aside from the free movie, there's small schwag bags-- meet/greets, tons of free food and booze-- plus, anything you wanted from the concession stand.

Only problem was, the movie was horrible. Just...TERRIBLE. Honestly, I couldn't think of one good thing, or any kind of spin I could put on it. If I wrote the article, it would have been a venomous spewing of hate-- I had to back out of writing it.

I felt guilty for a bit-- like I had no integrity-- but then again, I'm not really a "journalist"-- so what the hell, right?
I also felt a little dirty-- like, they gave me the red carpet treatment, and now I was supposed to write a glowing review-- just because I'd been paid off. (not with money, obviously) Or if I wrote my hate-review, I wouldn't be invited to any other screenings.

It's unlike Gail's situation, because this was a big studio-- not a guy trying to break in-- but still, ultimately I really had to go back to the lesson of Grammar School: If you don't have anything nice to say, maybe don't say anything at all.

Kedd
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I had to do that for a BIG HOLLYWOOD FILM (not gonna say which one), but I was offered an advance screening to review-- I got there and it was the typical scene: aside from the free movie, there's small schwag bags-- meet/greets, tons of free food and booze-- plus, anything you wanted from the concession stand.

Only problem was, the movie was horrible. Just...TERRIBLE. Honestly, I couldn't think of one good thing, or any kind of spin I could put on it. If I wrote the article, it would have been a venomous spewing of hate-- I had to back out of writing it.

I felt guilty for a bit-- like I had no integrity-- but then again, I'm not really a "journalist"-- so what the hell, right?
I also felt a little dirty-- like, they gave me the red carpet treatment, and now I was supposed to write a glowing review-- just because I'd been paid off. (not with money, obviously) Or if I wrote my hate-review, I wouldn't be invited to any other screenings.

It's unlike Gail's situation, because this was a big studio-- not a guy trying to break in-- but still, ultimately I really had to go back to the lesson of Grammar School: If you don't have anything nice to say, maybe don't say anything at all.

It was Captivity wasn't it? Be honest. It's a horrible movie.

I AM GROOT!
04-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Right?

The bolded part would work. :lol:

But really, I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you're feeling about it; you're probably right on, if your opening post is accurate. Either way, you'd be putting your name on it, and it's your reputation as well as his.

I think you already know your answer was the right one, though.

Tim Simmons
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
It was Captivity wasn't it? Be honest. It's a horrible movie.

Ha-- no it wasn't. Was it really that bad? Like, so bad I need to see it? Or so bad I need to run away at full speed?

batroc the leaper
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I am calling back to a twitter discussion you had fairly recently. If I were to see some positive words from you on the book, I would assume it is a good book.

You are a creator who I take at your word. When you say something is good I typically believe it. I think you did the right thing from a moral standpoint, but also a professional standpoint. Your fans don't want to perceive you as disingenuous, and this thread proves that not only are you honest, but you also have moral fiber.

Treacle
04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Very right.

You don't want your name attached to something subpar, after all.

TheKraken
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
"I read the whole thing!"

--Gail Simone

CapnChaos
04-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I think you handled it the right way.

I had an awkward moment once when a friend of mine and I were sharing a website, so we got a table at an anime convention in Wichita. My stuff is in no way anime, but his was pretty influenced by it. Regardless... We got put in an "artists" room that was off the floor and we ended up being only two of three people in there. It was awful. I was especially pissed when I found out that my friend had agreed to be moved in exchange for a plate of cookies that I didn't get any of. So this middle-aged guy walks up and starts talking to us about a comic he submitted to Image. Now the comic sounded horrible enough, but then he takes a piece of paper and starts drawing his main character. I swear on my life, it looked like the work of a kindergartener. This is not hyperbole. This is the absolute, literal truth. It was abyssmal. I just sat there thinking, "If this guy is so dense that he sent in a submission to Image, then I have no idea how to approach this other than to just tell him he needs some polish." After he finally left, all of us in the room started looking at each other until one of us said, "OH MY GOD." At which point we all started to talk about how terrible it was.

Foolish Mortal
04-20-2011, 04:29 PM
but it's not funny where it's supposed to be

Gail Simone: "Avant Garde!"

NathanDetroit
04-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Why is Bendis coming to you for a blurb?

Treacle
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Why is Bendis coming to you for a blurb?

:rofl:

Girlfriend In A Coma
04-21-2011, 01:00 PM
I think I may have read that book...

At the last show I went to I had a guy do the same thing to me...I read it and was both horrified and offended (difficult to do on both counts!) He kept skulking around trying to talk to me later but thankfully I was busy.