PDA

View Full Version : Decompressionism: Every Tuesday at Grayhavencomics.com

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
04-06-2011, 07:24 AM
AKA- Time for some shameless self promotion. :D

The first installment of my new webcomic Decompressionism is now up on http://www.grayhavencomics.com (http://www.grayhavencomics.com/) so please go check it out and let me know what ya think. A new installment will be up every Tuesday and the strip will run for 26 weeks.

Superior Kiai
04-06-2011, 07:28 AM
It always astounds me how much your work can charm and delight when you don't have to carry around my talentless ass around.

Everyone I've showed it to has really liked it.

I AM GROOT!
04-06-2011, 07:49 AM
It was a great first chapter, Johnny. Your efforts here, as well as in the two published issues of The Gathering so far, show almost a tenderness and subtlety unmatched by anyone else I've recently seen. The dialogue...there are certain nuances there where, like many great writers, you can tell that this is "written by John Coker."

04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
It always astounds me how much your work can charm and delight when you don't have to carry around my talentless ass around.

Everyone I've showed it to has really liked it.

:D Thanks man. Glad ya enjoyed it.

AndrewG
04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Johnny has worked so far in advance on this he can disappear for 3 months and we'd still be on track with his installments

jason hissong
04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
:rock:

04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
It was a great first chapter, Johnny. Your efforts here, as well as in the two published issues of The Gathering so far, show almost a tenderness and subtlety unmatched by anyone else I've recently seen. The dialogue...there are certain nuances there where, like many great writers, you can tell that this is "written by John Coker."

Aw shucks, thanks, man. Those are very kind words, much appreciated, and I hope you enjoy the rest of them.

BriRedfern
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
When I broke up with my highschool girlfriend her sister and I remained best friends. I will be doing a reading at her wedding this October. Nice first installment. I will keep up.

04-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Johnny has worked so far in advance on this he can disappear for 3 months and we'd still be on track with his installments

Not true. I have 6 installments in the can. That's only a month and a half. :D

Arion
04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Loved the first episode and now I'm counting the days to see the next one.

04-07-2011, 07:28 AM
:rock:

Glad ya liked it man. And where the fuck have you been lately? :(

jason hissong
04-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Glad ya liked it man. And where the fuck have you been lately? :(

Burying my grandfather.

jason hissong
04-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Dupe post.

04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
When I broke up with my highschool girlfriend her sister and I remained best friends. I will be doing a reading at her wedding this October. Nice first installment. I will keep up.

Yeah, that's awesome. It's great when that can happen, when the break-up doesn't negatively effect other relationships. My exes sister and I have remained best friends for like 10 years now. Although, I kinda had a big hand in raising her, so in some ways, we were always closer than my ex and I were anyway.

After this went up tuesday, I got a phonecall from her (the sister, not the ex) she says- "So, I saw your webcomic that you posted a link of on your facebook... that looks and sounds oddly familiar." :D

And I'm glad ya enjoyed the first insallment and plan to keep up with it, thanks man.

04-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Loved the first episode and now I'm counting the days to see the next one.

Thank you, kind sir. And only 5 more days now. :D

CapnChaos
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
You and your talky ass. ;)

04-08-2011, 06:59 AM
You and your talky ass. ;)

Dude, that one was nothin'

I have one planned, around the 18th week or so, that is one panel, one character, and no dead space because it'll all be taken up by dialogue.

AndrewG
04-08-2011, 07:00 AM

I have one planned, around the 18th week or so, that is one panel, one character, and no dead space because it'll all be taken up by dialogue.

:)

04-08-2011, 07:18 AM
:)

I know why you're laughing... because you know I'm not joking one damn bit. :D

Masculine Todd
04-08-2011, 07:26 AM
I really like this.

Doug
04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Great job Johnny.

04-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I really like this.

Thanks Todd! You're definitely one of the people here I was hoping would check it out and hopefully enjoy it, being that you're a big ol girl just like me. :)

And for those that are just reading it now, Andrew will have a non-blurry version of it up sometime soon. :D

04-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Great job Johnny.

Thanks Dougikins!

04-12-2011, 08:36 AM
The second installment is now up on grayhavencomics.com

http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2011/04/12/decompressionism-chapter-2/

Arion
04-12-2011, 09:57 AM

That'll be something.

jason hissong
04-12-2011, 10:07 AM

:lol:

That is SO you.

04-12-2011, 11:37 AM

That is SO you.

:D

I love that the people that know me off of the board too have been getting a kick out of this. I got some very high praise from the actually person that the female character from these first two is based on. That made me feel very good.

Superior Kiai
04-13-2011, 07:31 AM

That is SO you.

So I've heard.

Your dialog flows so wonderfully and without effort.

I love it.

And hate you for being able to do so.

batroc the leaper
04-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Good on you here. This is really good stuff

04-13-2011, 09:46 AM
So I've heard.

Your dialog flows so wonderfully and without effort.

I love it.

And hate you for being able to do so.

Thanks Ignacio.

And I can't wait to read the comic that you and Paula did.

Masculine Todd
04-13-2011, 11:02 AM
AKA- Time for some shameless self promotion. :D

The first installment of my new webcomic Decompressionism is now up on http://www.grayhavencomics.com (http://www.grayhavencomics.com/) so please go check it out and let me know what ya think. A new installment will be up every Tuesday and the strip will run for 26 weeks.

Loved the new installment. Everyone's said it already, but the dialog skips and flows so naturally, yet it's awkward when it's supposed to be (not in an artificial, cloying way, but when stammering happens or something). All the background context comes out in a non-expositiony manner (the ex, Erin, we know it went bad). I like how the dialog balloons seemingly float upward, like the balloons are slowly gaining more helium as the words drop out of their mouthes and hover away. It's a nice design touch that masks all the blank space.

I love it, Johnny. The cartooning is so nice and subtle (small, nuanced changes in facial expression and not some over-rendered "shock" look). Jason hit it on the head when he said this seems "so you."

Arion
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
:D

I love that the people that know me off of the board too have been getting a kick out of this. I got some very high praise from the actually person that the female character from these first two is based on. That made me feel very good.

Brilliant! Keep it up, lad.

04-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Good on you here. This is really good stuff

Thanks Jeff, glad you're digging it so far.

04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Loved the new installment. Everyone's said it already, but the dialog skips and flows so naturally, yet it's awkward when it's supposed to be (not in an artificial, cloying way, but when stammering happens or something). All the background context comes out in a non-expositiony manner (the ex, Erin, we know it went bad). I like how the dialog balloons seemingly float upward, like the balloons are slowly gaining more helium as the words drop out of their mouthes and hover away. It's a nice design touch that masks all the blank space.

I love it, Johnny. The cartooning is so nice and subtle (small, nuanced changes in facial expression and not some over-rendered "shock" look). Jason hit it on the head when he said this seems "so you."

Wow, I want to marry you now. No wait, that's not true... I've always wanted to marry you. That's some nice analysis and very welcome praise, means a lot man, I really appreciate it, Toddikins.

04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Brilliant! Keep it up, lad.

Will do man, I'm having a lot of fun working on these, and they've been oddly therapeutic.

Marcdachamp
04-14-2011, 09:12 AM
I've said it in the DCU thread, but DEcomPRESSIONism is fantastic. I look forward to it every week.

04-15-2011, 06:43 AM
I've said it in the DCU thread, but DEcomPRESSIONism is fantastic. I look forward to it every week.

Thanks Marc. The tough part is, I've stockpiled a good number of these to get out ahead and not have to worry about a weekly deadline, and I really want everyone to see em already. i'm on installment 10, and it's gonna be 8 more weeks before anyone sees it!

Marcdachamp
04-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks Marc. The tough part is, I've stockpiled a good number of these to get out ahead and not have to worry about a weekly deadline, and I really want everyone to see em already. i'm on installment 10, and it's gonna be 8 more weeks before anyone sees it!

I've already got more than 26 weeks of Kid Robo written. I'm going a little nuts. I really can't wait for some reactions to some of this stuff. Hope I can maintain the interest. :)

By the way, one of my best friends (a non-comics guy) and I went out to the bar last night. We were discussing Kid Robo (which he's been following because it's me) but he's starting to follow the other strips too. He said he's loving yours. I, naturally, agreed.

04-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I've already got more than 26 weeks of Kid Robo written. I'm going a little nuts. I really can't wait for some reactions to some of this stuff. Hope I can maintain the interest. :)

By the way, one of my best friends (a non-comics guy) and I went out to the bar last night. We were discussing Kid Robo (which he's been following because it's me) but he's starting to follow the other strips too. He said he's loving yours. I, naturally, agreed.

That's awesome, I love it when non-comic people find and enjoy comics of any kind.

04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
The 3rd installment is now up at grayhavencomics.com

http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2011/04/19/decompressionism-chapter-3/

jason hissong
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
The 3rd installment is now up at grayhavencomics.com

http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2011/04/19/decompressionism-chapter-3/

Awesome.

Marcdachamp
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I think I've had that conversation before... :lol:

AndrewG
04-19-2011, 09:33 AM

That's great, Marc

04-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Awesome.

Hi, J! :wave:

04-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I think I've had that conversation before... :lol:

:D Sadly, I think most guys that have been in relationships have.

04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
The fourth installment is now up on grayhavencomics.com

http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2011/04/26/decompressionism-chapter-4/

Arion
04-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Will do man, I'm having a lot of fun working on these, and they've been oddly therapeutic.

Creating amazing new things is always therapeutic.

04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Creating amazing new things is always therapeutic.

Well, I dunno about amazing, but yeah. :D

jason hissong
04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
That's so you.

04-27-2011, 07:01 AM
That's so you.

:mistrust: That's exactly what you said last time. :-P

05-04-2011, 06:43 AM
The fifth installment is up now at grayhavencomics.com

http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2011/05/03/decompressionism-chapter-5/

05-17-2011, 02:31 PM
The 7th installment, now up at www.grayhavencomics.com-

http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2011/05/17/decompressionism-chapter-7/

jason hissong
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
That's so you.

05-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Chapter 8 (http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2011/05/24/decompressionism-chapter-8/)