PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the appeal of Twitter to me?

Lester C.
04-03-2011, 11:31 AM
After months I finally broke down and clicked on Gail Simone's twitter page. I got a headache trying to read every backward and for the life of me don't get it. Explain what I'm missing.

Personamanx
04-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Warren Ellis.

NickT
04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
It doesn't have one appeal, you can use it in multiple ways. If it's not your thing I'm not going to be able to explain it because it's not your thing :)

Spiffy
04-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Twitter is a big bag of yuck for the most part. It does have a few practical uses, but its bogged down by an ocean of misuse and a whole mountain range of garbage.

Probably the one good defense of it is that its relatively easy to ignore the uses of it you don't like.

Lester C.
04-03-2011, 11:51 AM
It doesn't have one appeal, you can use it in multiple ways. If it's not your thing I'm not going to be able to explain it because it's not your thing :)

I want to just ignore it, but Twitter been credit for all the revolutions in the Middle East as well as saving countless Japanese lives so it's hard for me to dismiss it. I WANT to get it I really do, but again I got a headace.

Ravenwing263
04-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Twitter is a big bag of yuck for the most part. It does have a few practical uses, but its bogged down by an ocean of misuse and a whole mountain range of garbage.

Probably the one good defense of it is that its relatively easy to ignore the uses of it you don't like.

So, it's just like the internet?

t.c.johnson
04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Twitter is wonderful and amazing and will bring you enlightenment and peace.

Full disclosure: twitter runs in my company's servers and is responsible for my bonus last year.

But I am not biased

Basque
04-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I think of Twitter as a giant chat room. If you're really interested in it, the first thing you have to do is get a dedicated client for it (like TweetDeck), which will make it much more user-friendly than the website. Second, it's no fun unless you're following a lot of people and enough people follow you back to get involved in discussion.

I know some people think of it as "micro-blogging." Others just use to post incredibly inane and pointless "updates" on what they're up to at every moment of the day. But for me the interest lies in conversations and discussions. I follow 300 people, about 90% of which are comic books writers, artists, publishers and bloggers. So there's a lot of discussion that happens between these people, which are often very interesting to read. It's a bit frustrating though if you're looking for a way in, because most of these people don't have any reason to follow you back, so even if you try to participate in the conversation, you might not always get an answer. But if you have your own network of people who follow you and like to participate, then it doesn't matter.

I had the same reaction when I first looked at it. Trying to make sense of conversations where you only have one side of it and reading it all backwards was really frustrating. But if you check it often enough, then you can sort of follow it in real time and it's a lot more interesting that way. (Though also very time consuming.) You can also create lists (or groups) of people, which make it easier to follow some of the conversations.

Gail Simone
04-03-2011, 12:52 PM
If you try to track every conversation backwards, that would be a huge headache. There are apps that show conversations in order, that works for me. Otherwise, I like it just
to respond in a stupid way to stupid stuff. :)

leafinsectman
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I like it just to respond in a stupid way to stupid stuff. :)

They should use this as their company slogan :p

Cassandra
04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
It took a long time for me to understand Twitter conversations (mostly because unless you have an app that puts stuff in order) it's kinda all over the place. I use Twitter but am not addicted to it like some friends of mine.

jhota
04-03-2011, 03:53 PM
it took me quite a while to get to where i liked Twitter.

now, i use it for lots of varied communication tasks. and stalking celebrities.

rob
04-03-2011, 04:33 PM
It's not complicated.

sk716
04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Twitter is a worldwide news feed for the severely ADHD.

It's also being able to text message your friends all over the world without having their phone numbers.

It's an excellent promotional tool if you have something to "sell."

It's also, as Basque pointed out, a really big chat room.

Cam63
04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm not a twit.

It's unAustralian.

Pia Guerra
04-03-2011, 05:53 PM
This article summed it up nicely for me when I was figuring out whether or not to give it a go http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/15-07/st_thompson

At the time I was trying to decide whether or not to dump the old MySpace account and reluctant to get into a new social thing, but like the writer points out, Twitter is experiential, you don't really get it until you do it.

And yes, you can follow a couple hundred people and immerse yourself in a sea of conversations or you can limit it to people you know and have this background sense of what's going on in their lives between real life visits. I follow about 40 people, many are friends and colleagues but there are also comedians and writers I've never met in there who just post neat things. It's like signing up for a joke of the day... only the jokes are waaay funnier. I've found the experience really enjoyable.

Hugin
04-03-2011, 07:46 PM
I follow about 50 people, mostly webcomic authors, some joke accounts, and a few humor writers. I get to find out about their projects/delays early, and I also get to read any number of jokes that they can't or don't make anywhere else. It keeps me from being bored.

BClayMoore
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Twitter is great. Great way to keep up with interesting previews, articles, opinions, items, news...

And a fun way to keep tabs on people I dig.

-BCM

Basque
04-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Since we're all speaking of Twitter, you can find me here, in case anybody wants to follow: http://twitter.com/#!/yanbasque

dasNdanger
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I don't get it either. It makes my ADD clash terrribly with my OCD, and I just can't make heads nor tails of what's being said. It's like random lines cut from newspapers, pasted all over without anything to connect them. I can't tell who's commenting, who the comment is directed at, or what the hell is going on. And I totally don't get hashtags (which are FREAKIN' POUND/NUMBER SIGNS, NOT 'HASH' TAGS! Hash is that crap served on toast!). Whew. I feel better now.

das

Ravenwing263
04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Those damn kids with their gagas and their jeggings are always twittering all over my lawn.

Basque
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
And I totally don't get hashtags (which are FREAKIN' POUND/NUMBER SIGNS, NOT 'HASH' TAGS! Hash is that crap served on toast!).

From Wikipedia:

In most English-speaking countries outside North America, the symbol is usually called the hash.

Ravenwing263
04-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Uh-oh, now we're introducing logic, research and alternate perspectives to the conversation.

dasNdanger
04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
From Wikipedia:

In most English-speaking countries outside North America, the symbol is usually called the hash.

Bah! Who cares about English-speaking countries outside North America? They think bloody is a bad word, and eat bangers and mash! Who ever heard of such a thing?!

das

dasNdanger
04-03-2011, 08:45 PM
And what the hell is a neep anyway??!

das

Basque
04-03-2011, 08:46 PM
And what the hell is a neep anyway??!

Ha. I had to google that one.

dasNdanger
04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Ha. I had to google that one.

*fist bump*

:D

das

stevapalooza
04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
It's like a chat room filled with millions of people.

But you really have to use it for a while to see what value (if any) it has to you. Most people find it pointless or silly at first. It usually takes a while before you find yourself saying "ok, I'm on board with this"

beetlebum
04-03-2011, 09:52 PM
So, it's just like the internet?

Oh why, bring up that good point when people can slag it off, while ignoring that Twitter is no different from chat rooms or the rest of the internet?

Pia Guerra
04-03-2011, 11:08 PM

And here I thought it was called an Octothorpe.

Tyr
04-03-2011, 11:30 PM
I've got people starting to follow me...I don't know who the hell these people are, and I have a suspicion that these are some kind of bots programmed to send me spam mail.

Hugin
04-04-2011, 12:44 AM
I've got people starting to follow me...I don't know who the hell these people are, and I have a suspicion that these are some kind of bots programmed to send me spam mail.There's quite a few auto-follow bots that seem to serve no purpose. If they @reply you, then report them. Otherwise, don't worry. I've got a bunch that follow me and have never tweeted @ me. It's odd, but not harmful.

darrylayo
04-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Don't read backwards on Twitter, read forwards. The point isn't to see what has happened, the point is to follow along with what is happening.

Don't follow idiots, only follow people in your field of interest and/or people who will talk with you about your field of interest.

Use hashtags to search for things. My favorite hashtags:

#makecomics
#webcomics
#comics
#manga
#writing

And finally (should have been number one, really), FOLLOW ME: @darrylayo

:-)

Alan Lynch
04-04-2011, 04:53 AM
The whole thing baffles me, but it is funny watching suspected idiots confirm your suspicions inside 160 characters. Like almost any Premiership footballer who's gone near the thing.

dasNdanger
04-04-2011, 05:00 AM
The whole thing baffles me, but it is funny watching suspected idiots confirm your suspicions inside 160 characters. Like almost any Premiership footballer who's gone near the thing.

:rofl:

Tell me, how does Andy Carroll do on Twitter? He's as hot as can be, but I suspect there's not much upstairs.

das

RobStaeger
04-04-2011, 06:25 AM
I follow a bunch of people, but I've set things up that I've also got a list of friends. More often than not, I'll just pull down the friends list and see what they have to say; it's much less overwhelming. (I've also got lists for comics, news, work, etc... there's some overlap, so it doesn't have to be either/or.)