PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter II turns 20

afroloq
03-29-2011, 10:39 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/game-hunters/2011/03/02/sfIIx-large.jpg

One of the most important titles in the fighting genre's history launched 20 years ago today.

As the official Capcom blog notes, on this day in 1991, Street Fighter II: The World Warrior debuted in arcades. It featured eight brawlers: Ryu, Ken, Guile, Chun-Li, E. Honda, Zangief, Blanka and Dhalsim.

As readers familiar with video game history will recall, the game helped vault the fighting genre into popularity in the 1990s, along with titles such as Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter.

The franchise has also spawned several titles bearing the Street Fighter name, with the most recent being the release of Super Street Fighter IV last year. A 3-D version of that game will be available on the Nintendo 3DS later this month.

So it may be a little late but I saw the article and my first memories of Street Fighter II would be at the Bally's arcade in Atlantic City in summer of 1991 and having to wait almost an hr to play only to get bounced off in less than 5 mins. AT the time it was one of the first machines I remember costing 50 cents to play and it wasn't coming out on home systems anytime soon at that point. Fast forward a year later and when I heard it was coming for the SNES, that gave me a reason to finally break down and get one...I was happy to be able to play a near perfect arcade port without having to spend 50 cents per play and play it as much as I wanted.

I also remember that SFII being the main reason why so many of us lost hours my 1st year living on campus...LOL. Around finals of Fall 1992 I remember one of my dorm mates starting a SFII tournament around 7pm and when I got up at 8am the next morning...THEY WERE STILL PLAYING!

Another guy we knew actually had paid SFII tourneys in his dorm and more than enough times we would go and clean he and his friends out...and since most of us were poor, Pop Tarts was as good as cash....LOL

Michael Blacklist
03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I remember walking between 7-11, Little Ceasars and another pizza place to see which place had the bigger line before deciding where I'd be spending my afternoons. Good times.

Jason California
03-29-2011, 10:45 AM
One time I was in the arcade at the Sherman Oaks Galeria. I think the place was called Time-Out. I was playing the original Street Fighter as Ken fighting against Birdie. After the fight started I gave him one upper cut, knocking him out. I don't know how I did it, and was never able to accomplish that feat again, but the adulation I received at that moment was really cool. Thanks for letting me share.

Marcdachamp
03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Got it on the SNES one Christmas. Beat the game with E. Honda the first time.

Kingsumo
03-29-2011, 10:50 AM
They had one of those at the little convenience store down the street from me. Spent many hours standing at that thing after school. Usually followed up by a trip across the street to the comic shop after.

Good times.

Supreme Convoy
03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
I also have fond memories of going to 7-11 and the local arcades to play Street Fighter.

It's a shame you don't see many arcade machines anymore. They've become specialty items.

Kingsumo
03-29-2011, 11:09 AM
I also have fond memories of going to 7-11 and the local arcades to play Street Fighter.

It's a shame you don't see many arcade machines anymore. They've become specialty items.

Agreed. Kind of hard to compete with consoles and the like nowadays, and no one wants to deal with crowds, but they were a huge part of a lot of people's childhoods.

Also, one of the reasons this place is awesome: http://groundkontrol.com/arcade/index.php

Old video games and beer. :D

batroc the leaper
03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I missed the bulk of the arcades rising to prominence, but I remember a lot of good times at Chuck-E-Cheese with the arcade.

Playing MVC3 makes me realize exactly how good the street fighter formula was.

Jim Schnobrich
03-29-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't know if I ever played SF2 in the arcade but I had the first SNES version and played that A LOT. I finished it with every character on every difficulty setting. So many hours...

capntightpants
03-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I remember my first time seeing SFII. Waiting with my brother and dad for my mom who worked at Robinson's May at Metro Center Mall in Arizona. I peered down into the arcade a floor below me and saw two people playing against each other. One as a giant sumo and one as a green monster. I didn't play it that day, but I re-enacted what I saw over and over again at home. When I finally played it, it was everything I could have hoped for.

DaveCummings
03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I remember hanging out in the mall, playing SFII. So many quarters. I remember when it first came out on the Super NES, one of my best friends also bought a copy and we had two televisions set up as all my friends from the neighborhood came over and had a massive Street Fighter tournament. I remember getting annoyed by one person's annoying tendency to always play as Blanka. God I hate Blanka, him and his moves.

Pat Shatner
03-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Agreed. Kind of hard to compete with consoles and the like nowadays, and no one wants to deal with crowds, but they were a huge part of a lot of people's childhoods.

Also, one of the reasons this place is awesome: http://groundkontrol.com/arcade/index.php

Old video games and beer. :D

Whoa! Did they move or remodel or something? And they have a kitchen now? Might have to head down there this weekend.

moonspider
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
for me, a small stock space behind a bodega in my neighboorhood where all the neighborhood kids would go directly to once they came from school, were on an errand from their parent, or had time to kill....it was awesome

capntightpants
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I miss arcades.

Kurt Russell Crowe
03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
I played it at the skating rink. The skating rink!

Jason California
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I miss arcades.

Lets get a business loan and start the arcade come back! If that dude from Hot Rod can bring back AM radio we can bring back the arcade.

We can get tattoo of calvin pissing the X-Box, while were are safe above with the family having fun in the arcade!
http://www.blwebdesign.com/ATW/images/arcade.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QzREC_A-Q7g/RvdCauT2gpI/AAAAAAAAAhc/Pjgedwov55g/s320/Calvin+peeing-785794.GIF
http://www.zwee.com/xbox-360-ireland.jpg

ANd yes, that is a magic carpet the arcade is on.

batroc the leaper
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Blanka was the man.
Straight up, no bull.

Kingsumo
03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Whoa! Did they move or remodel or something? And they have a kitchen now? Might have to head down there this weekend.

A little while ago, yeah. Have not had the chance to go back since then though, sadly.

Blanka was the man.
Straight up, no bull.

Hated Blanka. Hated him so very bad.

capntightpants
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Lets get a business loan and start the arcade come back! If that dude from Hot Rod can bring back AM radio we can bring back the arcade.

We can get tattoo of calvin pissing the X-Box, while were are safe above with the family having fun in the arcade!
http://www.blwebdesign.com/ATW/images/arcade.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QzREC_A-Q7g/RvdCauT2gpI/AAAAAAAAAhc/Pjgedwov55g/s320/Calvin+peeing-785794.GIF
http://www.zwee.com/xbox-360-ireland.jpg

ANd yes, that is a magic carpet the arcade is on.

I have always dreamed of being the creepy dude collecting quarters from the machines after hours! Let's do this!

batroc the leaper
03-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Hated Blanka. Hated him so very bad.

He always looked so cool though. As someone who never owned the game and only played at friends houses he was the man.

Kingsumo
03-29-2011, 01:52 PM
He always looked so cool though. As someone who never owned the game and only played at friends houses he was the man.

Heh, I was thinking more along the lines of having to play against him and that damned electrical shock of his.

Kingsumo
03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Also, this thread needs this while reviewing and thinking back fondly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNF1Gh4wAq4

capntightpants
03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Heh, I was thinking more along the lines of having to play against him and that damned electrical shock of his.

Sweep the leg, Sumo.

batroc the leaper
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Hit him with a sonic boom.

Blanca is useless unless you are right on top of them.

Kingsumo
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Sweep the leg, Sumo.

I don't think this gets enough credit as being some of the worst advice given from a sensei.

Kingsumo
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Hit him with a sonic boom.

Blanca is useless unless you are right on top of them.

Well, hadouken as I usually used Ryu or Ken, but I was one of those players that jumped around a lot, so Blanka's electric attack ended me a lot, as did the other person blocking and then following it up with that spin attack of his.

Also, Guile's comb kick sucked a whole lot of ass too. :mad:

afroloq
03-30-2011, 03:03 AM
any opinions on the SF remakes, ripoffs, sequels and mash ups over the years?

I know someone in here played Sega's Eternal Fighters, SNKs Art of Fighting and World Heroes.

Hey Jason, in the Old City in Jerusalem, (amazingly not that far from the Holy Sepulcre) they actually still have an 80s style arcade up and running and not newish games, the classics. That was one of the times I really regret not having enough power in my camera to take a picture

DaveCummings
03-30-2011, 03:09 AM
any opinions on the SF remakes, ripoffs, sequels and mash ups over the years?

I know someone in here played Sega's Eternal Fighters, SNKs Art of Fighting and World Heroes.

I've played them, some sucked, but I loved the SNK fighters

afroloq
03-30-2011, 03:49 AM
If the Neo Geo wasn't so dayumed expensive, I think there could have been a chance for SNK to knock out Nintendo and the Street Fighter series in one fell swoop. A gaming system that brought home arcade perfect ports that you can play at home AND in the arcade. Well, Sony wound up doing it a few years later with the Playstation and Tekken.

PeteL
03-30-2011, 04:48 AM
So many quarters were spent.

I feel aged.

Marcdachamp
03-30-2011, 05:14 AM
You know what were sooooooo bad? Those Street Fighter II G.I. Joes. I remember someone once asked Larry Hama in the G.I. Joe letters page if they'd show up in an issue. Larry's response was something like "God, no." :lol: