PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting Behaviour For US Auther At Aussie Bar

KJ!
03-17-2011, 01:22 AM
*Note, this DID take place in Alice Springs, which is an absolutely HORRID place. Not very safe, full of the country morons whose idea of a great Friday night is to go to the pub, get drunk, get in a fight, then go home and beat on their 'missus'. So I'm not that surprised that this has happened there. Disappointed and angry, of course, but not surprised.

Here's the story:

===========================
http://www.news.com.au/national/gay-us-author-armistead-maupin-outraged-by-aussie-restroom-slur/story-e6frfkvr-1226023316372

A PROMINENT American author and gay rights activist has spoken of his anger after his partner was refused access to a toilet in an Australian restaurant after allegedly being told it was for the use of "real men" only.

Armistead Maupin told how his partner was refused use of the men's restroom at an Alice Springs restaurant - with a member of staff saying the facility was only for "real men," the ABC reported.

Mr Maupin said the incident occurred in Alice Springs, where he and his partner Christopher were on holiday.

He said his partner asked a barman at Bojangles Restaurant and Bar where the restroom was, but was told there was none on the premises.

"I knew they had one because I'd been there the day before and I said, 'What's that over there?' and he gave me a very pointed look and said, 'That's reserved for real men'," Mr Maupin said.

The owner of Bojangles refused to comment, the ABC reported.

Mr Maupin is known for his work as a gay rights activist. His successful novel series, Tales of the City, was adapted for TV in the 1990s.

Read more about gay US author outraged by Aussie loo slur at The ABC.

=====================

Ryan Elliott
03-17-2011, 02:15 AM
The Alice Springs chicken at Outback steakhouse is so good.

Cam63
03-17-2011, 04:08 AM
Bastards.

Keith P.
03-17-2011, 05:33 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about Gail.

Gail Simone
03-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Well, to be fair, I think this could have happened anywhere. Where we were in Sydney was extremely gay-friendly.

But Jesus, what a stupid fucking thing to do. Well done, idiot bartender.

zemo
03-17-2011, 06:13 AM
I don't see how Alice Springs being a horrid place actually has anything to do with this. I mean, it might as well be true, but I doubt that people on hollidays would go into one of the seedier bars. Least of all you'd expect professionalism from the bartender then, which he clearly didn't show. Hope he gets fired.

Cam63
03-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Most bartenders I've encountered are OK people just doin' their job.

Occasionally, however I strike one who's a complete twat.

ShaunN
03-17-2011, 09:48 AM
I've read elsewhere that Australia has a disproportionately high number of gay people. Does anyone know if this is true and, if so, why this might be the case?

This behaviour (on the part of the bartender and also the owner) is atrocious. Not to feed into stereotypes, but this one has a bit of truth: the bartender is probably a repressed homosexual who is taking out his self-hatred on others.

Treacle
03-17-2011, 10:11 AM
What kills me is the fact that this sort of thing happens in a lot of places all the time, but we only ever hear about it when it happens to someone measurably famous. It's just sad.

Chris Jones
03-17-2011, 10:11 AM
The way I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about an author from the United States behaving disgustingly at an Australian bar.

Jim Ritchey
03-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I've read elsewhere that Australia has a disproportionately high number of gay people. Does anyone know if this is true and, if so, why this might be the case?

This behaviour (on the part of the bartender and also the owner) is atrocious. Not to feed into stereotypes, but this one has a bit of truth: the bartender is probably a repressed homosexual who is taking out his self-hatred on others.

Yep. Nobody comfortable with their sexuality seethingily hates gays that much.

Like the jock/bully in high school who used ta call me a faygit, try to start fights with my friends and I throwing that word around constantly, ending up an openly gay drug dealer in prison a decade later...

I wouldn't normally say this, but sometimes it's alright to throat-punch a bartender/owner...

Kate Fatale
03-17-2011, 10:35 AM
God, that is absolutely deplorable. I don't understand why the owner would decline to comment, unless the establishment really does encourage that kind of douchebaggery.

KJ!
03-17-2011, 03:34 PM
The way I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about an author from the United States behaving disgustingly at an Australian bar.

Yeah, it's badly worded.

I noticed that imediately after posting, but couldn't change it. :cry:

Gail Simone
03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
what kills me is the fact that this sort of thing happens in a lot of places all the time, but we only ever hear about it when it happens to someone measurably famous. It's just sad.

also true and quoted for trueness.

DonC
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Australia used to be a prison colony. I guess somewhere along the line they decided they enjoyed bending over to pick up the soap.

ConnorHawke
03-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Maybe it was a leather bar. The guy's attitude wouldn't exactly be out of place.

Cam63
03-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Maybe he just shoulda taken a leak against the bar while he was being insulted.

Keith P.
03-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Maybe it was a leather bar. The guy's attitude wouldn't exactly be out of place.

If it had been, the bartender would have been the urinal.

ConnorHawke
03-18-2011, 06:55 AM
If it had been, the bartender would have been the urinal.

I wish I was going out this weekend.

Damn job.

KJ!
03-18-2011, 08:39 AM
I wish I was going out this weekend.

Damn job.

Reminds me of the legendary Trough-Man from Mardi Gras every year.