PDA

View Full Version : The new Decemberists album is pretty amazing

Benel Germosen
02-16-2011, 05:56 AM
The King Is Dead is damn good. Just classic Castaways and Cutouts/Picaresque Decemberists.

chazbot
02-16-2011, 05:57 AM
It's my favorite since "Her Majesty."

Masculine Todd
02-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Down By the Water is already among my five favorite Decemberists tracks. I haven't given this album as much time as I should have.

Benel Germosen
02-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Down By the Water is already among my five favorite Decemberists tracks. I haven't given this album as much time as I should have.

I'm slicing my plays up with the new Get Up Kids album (they went Eudora when they should have gone Four Minute Mile), a redownload of some New Amsterdam albums (I like Para Toda Vida more than the full folk sound of Story like a Scar) and randomy Taylor Swift tracks (she's the musical equivilant of a puppy).

Masculine Todd
02-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Oh, the Get Up Kids. I was just outside of the age-range who were "hit" by them, but around '03, 15 year old me grabbed Four Minute Mile (because Midtown jocked them, and I adored Midtown at the time). I don't really have that nostalgic fondness for them, though. I don't think I'll end up grabbing that (maybe, I don't know).

There's just been a deluge of good stuff this year, and the Decemberists have been swallowed up in that.

Benel Germosen
02-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Oh, the Get Up Kids. I was just outside of the age-range who were "hit" by them, but around '03, 15 year old me grabbed Four Minute Mile (because Midtown jocked them, and I adored Midtown at the time). I don't really have that nostalgic fondness for them, though. I don't think I'll end up grabbing that (maybe, I don't know).

There's just been a deluge of good stuff this year, and the Decemberists have been swallowed up in that.

You were fifteen in '03?

Thanks for making me feel old, Todd!

Masculine Todd
02-16-2011, 06:16 AM
You were fifteen in '03?

Thanks for making me feel old, Todd!

15/16. Just living the life. Peeing out of moving cars. Wearing "fuck Bush" pins on my messenger bag. Being "unique." Living the life. Up the fake punx.

batroc the leaper
02-16-2011, 06:16 AM
June Hymn puts me near tears every time i hear it. This is how we fight is absolutely great too.

Good album

Masculine Todd
02-16-2011, 06:18 AM
I liked the last two, but yeah, I'm enjoying the fact that they ditched the "concept album" format. June Hymn is my second favorite track. Good call, Batroc.

Stupendous Man
02-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Yeah, It's incredible. I've never been a Decemberists fan, this is the first stuff I've heard from them. They played January Hymn on an iFanboy podcast a few weeks ago and I was hooked.

I think This is Why We Fight and Don't Carry It All are my favorites. And Rise to Me, and All Arise. Fuck, there isn't a bad song on that album.

jason hissong
02-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Great stuff, all the way around.

I like Don't Carry it All as my favorite track, but that could change as I don't find any track off-putting.

batroc the leaper
02-16-2011, 06:50 AM
I liked the last two, but yeah, I'm enjoying the fact that they ditched the "concept album" format. June Hymn is my second favorite track. Good call, Batroc.

Personally, I loved Hazards of Love (I know critics didn't), but I agree that it is nice to see a return to form for them.

I love Colin's harmonica playing, it is so perfectly sloppy.

Also, any Decemberists fans should check out the band Black Prairie. It's a folksy group consisting of Jenny Conlee (accordion for Decemberists), Nate Query (Bass player) and Chris Funk (Guitar) and a couple of their friends from Portland (Jon Neufield and Annalisa Tornfelt) and it is musical gold.

Masculine Todd
02-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Personally, I loved Hazards of Love (I know critics didn't), but I agree that it is nice to see a return to form for them.

I love Colin's harmonica playing, it is so perfectly sloppy.

Also, any Decemberists fans should check out the band Black Prairie. It's a folksy group consisting of Jenny Conlee (accordion for Decemberists), Nate Query (Bass player) and Chris Funk (Guitar) and a couple of their friends from Portland (Jon Neufield and Annalisa Tornfelt) and it is musical gold.

I enjoyed Hazards, but I wouldn't the bombastic rock opera thing to carry over into other albums. It was a fun "experiment," I suppose.

I'd never heard of Black Prairie. Thanks for the rec. To that end, Colin's solo live album and cover EPs (Sam Cooke, Shirley Collins, Morrissey, etc.) are really good. The live album is mostly comprised of Decemberists and Tarkio covers, however.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
02-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Personally, I loved Hazards of Love (I know critics didn't), but I agree that it is nice to see a return to form for them. .

I adored Hazards of Love! Adored it! Saw them do the whole thing at Bonnaroo and it left me nearly in tears. Buying the new record NOW!

batroc the leaper
02-16-2011, 07:26 AM
I adored Hazards of Love! Adored it! Saw them do the whole thing at Bonnaroo and it left me nearly in tears. Buying the new record NOW!

I think part of the reason I loved Hazards so much was A) because it was so different from their other stuff and B) they performed it so well.

Georgie
02-16-2011, 07:29 AM
While it's no Picaresque (and I doubt anything they ever do will be as good as that album, because it's fucking perfect), it's a damn fine album.

Don't Carry It All and Down By The Water are so choice.

silverboy
02-16-2011, 07:34 AM
I went on an iTunes binge last night and picked up this album. My first Decemberists album, I'll listen to it later. So far, I've listened to "The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire (awesome) and "The People's Key" by Bright Eyes (really good).

I thought about downloading the Get Up Kids album, but I was never a huge fan, and there's something disingenuous about emo bands in their mid 30s.

Georgie
02-16-2011, 07:38 AM
I went on an iTunes binge last night and picked up this album. My first Decemberists album, I'll listen to it later. So far, I've listened to "The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire (awesome) and "The People's Key" by Bright Eyes (really good).

I thought about downloading the Get Up Kids album, but I was never a huge fan, and there's something ingenuous about emo bands in their mid 30s.

Download Picaresque and The Crane Wife if you really want to become a fan of the Decemberists. Again, while I love the new album, I'm not being "that guy" who just says their earlier stuff is better.

SgtPepper
02-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Haven't listened to the whole album yet, but I really like "Don't Carry It All."

The harmonica on it reminds me of Neil Young, which probably explains why I like that song so much.

HoldFastNow
02-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Same here. I already like it way more than Hazards of Love and The Crane Wife, but not as much as the albums before them. It's a fun, enjoyable record, though, one I need to listen to a bit more.

Georgie
02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Haven't listened to the whole album yet, but I really like "Don't Carry It All."

The harmonica on it reminds me of Neil Young, which probably explains why I like that song so much.

The first few notes remind me of Tom Petty, another reason why I dig it so much.

Kelly Tindall
02-16-2011, 09:17 AM
We same them in Montreal two (?) weeks ago, and they are absolutely fantastic live. "The Rake Song" performed live was amazing. Can't recommend them enough.

I like the new album a lot. They cool it with the downer songs, which I really appreciate.

SgtPepper
02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
The first few notes remind me of Tom Petty, another reason why I dig it so much.

Yeah, I definitely heard that too.

Zeppe
02-16-2011, 10:11 AM
I LOVE this album. Right now Don't Carry it All and Rise to Me are my favorites but subject to change.

batroc the leaper
02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Let's not forget Rox in the Box and Jenny's phenomenal accordion playing in it.

silverboy
02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Damn, they have a great sounds. Why did I go so long without checking them out?

Benel Germosen
02-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Damn, this album is good.

One of the things I like about the Decemberists is that you sometimes get a lot of callbacks into their music. Sometimes, it's actual(We Both Goes Down Together is a prequel to Leslie Anne Levine) Sometimes it's referential (Leslie Anne Levine references The Chimbley Sweep). Some are purely thematic (Why We Fight Can can be seen as a companion piece to When The War Came). What you get is a body of work that has character, lyrically as well as sonically.