PDA

View Full Version : How do people not know who the Arcade Fire are?

Dark Sasha
02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
They get radioplay, Funeral was a all over the place before this, why?!

MayorMitch100
02-14-2011, 07:33 PM
*are

KSChris
02-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't know. It's stupid. The negative reaction to them winning baffled me, until I realized that most people are too stupid to realize it's about quality not popularity.

Mattman
02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Well I can't speak for everyone else but I've been too busy listening to good music.

MayorMitch100
02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Well I can't speak for everyone else but I've been too busy listening to good music.

So you were listening to Neon Bible correct?

SteveFlack
02-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Conversely, just because something is popular doesn't mean it's not good.

lonesomefool
02-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I don't know. It's stupid. The negative reaction to them winning baffled me, until I realized that most people are too stupid to realize it's about quality not popularity.

The Grammy's is hard to point to as an indicator of quality either though, I mean for fuck sake, Lady Antebellum won 6 Grammy's last night.

I dont have any negative reaction to them winning, I havent really gotten into them, but I respect what they do and would prefer a band like they win over most of their competition.

Stupendous Man
02-14-2011, 07:44 PM

There you go. If it was just about popularity the Grammy's wouldn't even need to exist. They could just go off of the billboard charts.

As for me, I'm not a fan of Arcade Fire, I don't think I've ever heard a single one of their songs, but I've definitely heard of them.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
They do get a lot of mainstream coverage, but I've never heard them on the radio.

Piechuck
02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
I've never heard of them because I only listen to Stern.

RegularJoe
02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
never heard of 'em.

lonesomefool
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
They do get a lot of mainstream coverage, but I've never heard them on the radio.

It's somewhat odd I never hear them on our local rock station when they will gladly play Slipknot next to Nickleback next to The Black Keys.

NickT
02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I've heard of them, but I can only think of one song I think I know of theirs.

MayorMitch100
It's somewhat odd I never hear them on our local rock station when they will gladly play Slipknot next to Nickleback next to The Black Keys.

That is the oddest progression of songs I have ever seen.

Roger
i heard the name. but i couldn't tell you any songs the do.

Mattman
02-14-2011, 07:53 PM
So you were listening to Neon Bible correct?
I've been stuck on Pink Floyd for the last 10 + years. And I'm very happy.

MayorMitch100
02-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I've been stuck on Pink Floyd for the last 10 + years.

Also an acceptable answer.

lonesomefool
02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
That is the oddest progression of songs I have ever seen.

It's actually pretty cool. It's the one rock station that I can stand to listen to around here. The only thing they tend to avoid playing is stuff like Slayer.

Roman Noodles
02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I've heard them on the radio A LOT last year. "Ready to Start" was all over my radio station.

Roman Noodles
02-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Of course, I haven't been listening to much alternative rock radio lately.

Magnum V.I.
02-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I thought liking obscure bands helped your cred, Mr. Pretentious, If everyone knows and likes something it no longer has value, English Major?

Briomega
It's actually pretty cool. It's the one rock station that I can stand to listen to around here. The only thing they tend to avoid playing is stuff like Slayer.

Well that station is full of fail then. :-?

As to the topic, I've heard the name but don't think I've ever heard a song of theirs.

jamestolliver

They get hardly any radio play Baltimore and DC. I can only think of a handful of stations that would even play them. Hip hop is the king of the radio around here and after that you have a bunch of shitty country and classic rock stations and then some popular/new music stations.

Magnum V.I.
02-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Well that station is full of fail then. :-?

As to the topic, I've heard the name but don't think I've ever heard a song of theirs.

Yes you have. If you have seen the trailer to Where the Wild Things are, that big epic feeling song is Arcade Fire.

Briomega
02-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes you have. If you have seen the trailer to Where the Wild Things are, that big epic feeling song is Arcade Fire.

Ok, yeah, I vaguely remember the trailer but don't really recall the song from it.

Magnum V.I.
02-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Ok, yeah, I vaguely remember the trailer but don't really recall the song from it.

Look it up and I'm sure it will jog your memory that you have heard the song somewhere else maybe.

Magnum V.I.
02-14-2011, 08:07 PM
I just wish more people listened to Ducktails. :(

Briomega
02-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Look it up and I'm sure it will jog your memory that you have heard the song somewhere else maybe.

Nope, definitely have not heard it outside of the trailer.

michealdark
02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
The Grammy's is hard to point to as an indicator of quality either though, I mean for fuck sake, Lady Antebellum won 6 Grammy's last night.

Hey, don't sell Lady A short. For a country band they seem to do the best rock ballads. :lol:

jamestolliver
02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Nope, definitely have not heard it outside of the trailer.

It played at the Super Bowl last year. I weirdly remember that.

Dark Sasha
02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
and they performed live on network television with DAVID BOWIE!

Briomega
02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
and they performed live on network television with DAVID BOWIE!

Who's David Bowie? Is that some Indie artist?

batroc the leaper
02-14-2011, 08:13 PM
http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

My favorite might be Tawny Kitaen, prompting my future tumblr "whoistawnykitaen"

MayorMitch100
02-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Beirut is better. :nerd:

Supreme Convoy
02-14-2011, 08:17 PM
When they first came out with Funeral, I didn't pay much attention even with their "Wake Up" single.

It wasn't until I saw the Where the Wild Things Are trailer that I got hooked on some of their songs. I revisited "Wake Up" and love it now.

Dark Sasha
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM

My favorite might be Tawny Kitaen, prompting my future tumblr "whoistawnykitaen"

Oh this is fantastic!

Dark Sasha
02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgls73XdW21qh8gp5o1_500.png

batroc the leaper
02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Dog the bounty hunter

"Who the he'll is that fire who?"

Eloquence.

Fygar
02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I will never understand this. They are an accessible rock band with excellent lyrics and hooks. You've been able to find their CDs on an endcap at Target for 7+ years now, and yet people still don't know who they are.

I know here in Western PA they never get radio play. Early Pearl Jam, Linkin Park, Disturbed...these are the bands that still dominate the airwaves.

It saddens me because they've written three fantastic albums that should be celebrated by the mainstream.

Len Snark
02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgls73XdW21qh8gp5o1_500.png

So put your crocs on and head down to the record store, Grandma!

SteveFlack
02-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I will never understand this. They are an accessible rock band with excellent lyrics and hooks. You've been able to find their CDs on an endcap at Target for 7+ years now, and yet people still don't know who they are.

I know here in Western PA they never get radio play. Early Pearl Jam, Linkin Park, Disturbed...these are the bands that still dominate the airwaves.

It saddens me because they've written three fantastic albums that should be celebrated by the mainstream.

I like the Arcade Fire, but I've never really heard a song of theirs that screamed "SINGLE". "The Suburbs" won album of the year, and it was. But the "Album" is a dead concept.

batmanbooyah
02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
arcade fire is popular as fuck in los angeles. the mainstream stations play them. i don't see why people think they're indy. i like them a lot. i like gaga a lot too though. i'm confused, and now i have an erection :(

Dave S.
02-14-2011, 08:30 PM
When I hear their songs I get the impression that they carefully compose each song with the intention of it sounding important and deep. This is in stark contrast to a band like The Walkmen who sound extremely casual, yet make good music. Or a band like Belle & Sebastian who are also highly composed, but sound more like they are trying to carefully compose songs that will sound good and that they like.

I guess it's a case of sounding like they are trying too hard. It's jarring for me while listening. Takes away some of my enjoyment. I know others will certainly disagree. It's a matter of personal taste. And I will admit I haven't heard their new album, but I know Funeral and Neon Bible very well. I've listened to them quite a bit because I do go in and out of phases where I enjoy them, but I always come back to that same feeling. I appreciate them as musicians, but I can never truly believe the emotion that they so carefully try to inject into the songs.

MayorMitch100
02-14-2011, 08:33 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lglrpdU91u1qh8gp5o1_500.png

HoldFastNow
I think it's a prime example of the shifting ways people experience and are exposed to new music and the disconnect it causes between people. The Arcade Fire don't get a lot of radio airplay (I don't think any station in Vegas plays them), Mtv doesn't play videos regularly enough to break a band like this, but they are gigantic on the internet. Hell, Pitchfork picked their debut LP "Funeral" as the second best album of the decade! And they can sell out multiple tour dates in stadiums in a short amount of time. But if you are still experiencing new music through more tradition ways I can see them totally flying under the radar.

Conversely, I love Arcade Fire and have never heard of Lady Antebellum until just the other day and they are apparently really popular and won 6 Grammys.

Fygar
When I hear their songs I get the impression that they carefully compose each song with the intention of it sounding important and deep.

I have never once felt that about them. I feel like they're one of the few honest bands out there that just want to write some songs and slap on a disc for your enjoyment. I feel like they're fairly raw and nothing comes off as composed, but to each their own.

I feel that way about Bright Eyes and practically everything Conner Oberst puts his name on, but no one else seems to think so. I also got that feeling with a few Elliot Smith tracks and people have torn me a new one for those sentiments. So I know how it feels :)

MayorMitch100
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lglpjySKBO1qh8gp5o1_500.png

HoldFastNow
02-14-2011, 08:39 PM
arcade fire is popular as fuck in los angeles. the mainstream stations play them. i don't see why people think they're indy. i like them a lot. i like gaga a lot too though. i'm confused, and now i have an erection :(

It depends on your definition, I guess. They're on a fiercely independent label, Merge Records. When a lot of other indie labels were entering into distribution deals with majors (Matador), selling shares of their labels to majors (Vagrant), or entering into those "farming" deals with majors where bands signed to majors but released their first album or two on indies to build up cred (Fueled by Ramen, Triple Crown) Merge turned it down and stayed indie. When Funeral and Neon Bible took off, they chose to stay with Merge versus signing to a major label. I think they're very much an "indie band."

HoldFastNow
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Here's an Arcade Fire video I always liked (and I wish I could have been there to see it):

Bruce Springsteen with Arcade Fire - Keep The Car Running (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsukSiGcUng)

Fygar
02-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Here's an Arcade Fire video I always liked (and I wish I could have been there to see it):

Bruce Springsteen with Arcade Fire - Keep The Car Running (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsukSiGcUng)

Fucking awesome! Thanks for that

Fygar
02-14-2011, 08:54 PM
I've always loved this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxef8AfVQg&feature=fvwrel

Supreme Convoy
02-14-2011, 08:58 PM
An impromptu performance of "Wake Up" in the theater lobby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8QYnxIjHWg).

Not the best sound recording but it had to be really cool to watch.

Taxman
02-14-2011, 09:04 PM
I really don't think this crew is too proficient at staying in the TMZ bulls-eye, not that that is something I follow at all. But other "musical acts" such as Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber manage to keep there names in the peripheral media all of the times. This means that there are large numbers of people who know who these people are who could probably not identify any of their music. There are probably also large numbers of "fans" who came to be such because of their constant presence in the peripheral media. Really, this is what makes Lady Gaga such a huge success.

I guess in one respect one could say that it doesn't matter that no one know who Arcade Fire is or who The Arcade Fire are. On the other hand, the checks are probably smaller.

Mister Mets
02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I was surprised that they're considered so obscure. They've been on mainstream 'Best Of" lists, performed on SNL, did stuff with Springsteen and briefly topped sales charts with their latest album (while Neon Bible debuted at #2 a few years back.)

It's especially odd when you consider previous winners for best album, such as Herbie Hancock two years ago.

Ashwin Pande
02-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Arcade Fire kicks ass. If my friends and I in India can be fans then you guys have no real excuse to have never heard of them.

ernster
02-14-2011, 11:52 PM
i never heard of them, but i don't frequent music boards, listen to the radio, or watch much tv.

UltimateFactor
02-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Never heard of them, but I'll give their stuff a try if I can find it cheap.

Doug
02-15-2011, 05:27 AM
I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever heard a song by them.

Also I'm over 30.

Also I didn't watch the Grammys.

Also I don't care about the Grammys.

Brother Power the Gong
02-15-2011, 05:37 AM
I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever heard a song by them.

Also I'm over 30.

Also I didn't watch the Grammys.

Also I don't care about the Grammys.

Seconded.

bartleby
02-15-2011, 05:42 AM
There are people on the Bendis Board who have never heard of Kanye West, and we think it's shocking that people don't know Arcade Fire?

bachman
02-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Seconded.

Thirded (well, I am 30)

cPol
02-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Have I heard of them? Yes, in the sense that I'm aware that there's a band or something that's calling itself Arcade Fire.

Have I ever heard them play? Nope. Or, if I have, no one's ever linked their name to the music I was hearing, so I remain totally unaware.

Doc Randy
02-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Here is a video for what is probably their most popular song, Rebellion (Lies). Stupid video. Great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQvZ4N1RfS8

I am truly amazed so many don't know who they are or haven't heard their music. I guess I thought they were pretty well known. I hear them on the radio. I hear them in stores. They're songs are in movies and movie trailers.

I bet most people have heard several of their songs and just didn't realize it was them. :)

capntightpants
02-15-2011, 08:24 AM
There are people on the Bendis Board who have never heard of Kanye West, and we think it's shocking that people don't know Arcade Fire?

This.

Your knowledge of music just revolves around the type of music you listen to, and the people you surround yourself with.

I've only heard of Arcade Fire once or twice by someone who's mentioned them on my Facebook, and I have never heard of Lady Antebellum. I'm mostly into pop/r&b/hip hop, so it would be easy for me to not know the name of lots of rock bands.

(I'm not saying that AF does/doesn't deserve an award, but I understand why many wouldn't know the name.)

Roman Noodles
02-15-2011, 08:26 AM
I don't mind people expressing shock over someone not knowing an artist, but when they get all belligerent because I hadn't heard of them. THAT bothers me.

artimoff
02-15-2011, 08:26 AM

I've heard them mentioned here but have no idea what they sound like. I don't listen to radio stations that play new music.

bachman
02-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Here is a video for what is probably their most popular song, Rebellion (Lies). Stupid video. Great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQvZ4N1RfS8

I am truly amazed so many don't know who they are or haven't heard their music. I guess I thought they were pretty well known. I hear them on the radio. I hear them in stores. They're songs are in movies and movie trailers.

I bet most people have heard several of their songs and just didn't realize it was them. :)

Hmmm.... seems kind of plain to me. Meh.

But then again, I'm also a guy that doesn't understand how Radiohead somehow became the most important band of the past 10 years.

(Oh, and their "kewl" clothes immediately turned me off. :)

Jef UK
02-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't know anybody who hasn't been (way) into them since Funeral, but I'm really cool.

Jim Schnobrich
02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
if you are still experiencing new music through more tradition ways I can see them totally flying under the radar.

Agreed.

HoldFastNow
02-15-2011, 09:27 AM
This.

Your knowledge of music just revolves around the type of music you listen to, and the people you surround yourself with.

I've only heard of Arcade Fire once or twice by someone who's mentioned them on my Facebook, and I have never heard of Lady Antebellum. I'm mostly into pop/r&b/hip hop, so it would be easy for me to not know the name of lots of rock bands.

(I'm not saying that AF does/doesn't deserve an award, but I understand why many wouldn't know the name.)

That is a very good point and I agree with you. I often times find myself really surprised at how big and how small bands are when they come through town on tour. Like when the Silversun Pickups/Against Me! tour happened last year. I had heard the name, but I wasn't really familiar with Silversun Pickups at all, but my friends and I are all big, longtime Against Me! fans and I was surprised at how many people at the show (which was sold out) didn't know Against Me! at all. If I just went out my friends, punknews, placing on mainstream best of lists (#1 on Spin's a few years ago), and the like I would think they were the biggest band out there, you know?

bartleby
02-15-2011, 09:34 AM
The last few years, I've mostly been listening to radio stations based out of Los Angeles, Cincinatti, Austin, and Minneapolis. So I hear a lot of bands local to those cities and don't think about the fact that people around me aren't likely to have heard them.

Kevin T Brown
02-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Who's Arcade Fire?

Seriously.

All I listen to is country radio. If it ain't on there, odds are I'm totally oblivious to it.

Taxman
02-15-2011, 09:39 AM
There are people on the Bendis Board who have never heard of Kanye West, and we think it's shocking that people don't know Arcade Fire?I think that was true before Katrina. But the guy has really carved out a presence for himself the last several years. Most people know who he is now but again, not necessarily his music.

Mister Mets
02-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Is it common to have articles about a backlash when a merely moderately successful group or individual wins an industry award?

Did any prominent Oscar viewers ask who Kathryn Bigelow was? Did prominent Emmy viewers ask what Mad Men was?

Mister Mets
02-15-2011, 09:42 AM

It's fine to not know who Arcade Fire is. But in that case, not recognizing the winner for music industry awards should be a common experience for you, rather than something remarkable.

bartleby
02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
I think that was true before Katrina. But the guy has really carved out a presence for himself the last several years. Most people know who he is now but again, not necessarily his music.

This was like a few weeks ago.

Chacalo
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Arcade Fire huh? Sounds like a videogame band. Fulls of bleeps and meeps.

But seriously I'm on the don't care about grammys camp, and most of the music I listen to in any given moment is from years ago.

I know who Kanye is though.

bartleby
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Did prominent Emmy viewers ask what Made Men was?

I think that's a valid complaint. I've never heard of this MADE MEN show either.

Taxman
02-15-2011, 09:45 AM
This was like a few weeks ago.Well, then those people are probably not plugged into much of anything going on.

Whip
02-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I've never heard of them before. I listen to Satellite Radio and my 1000+ song iPod and CD's only.

HoldFastNow
02-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Is it common to have articles about a backlash when a merely moderately successful group or individual wins an industry award?

The popularity backlash is something very common to music. Sometimes it's understandable. I can understand why someone who was a fan of Rise Against, Against Me!, or AFI back when they first started wouldn't like them now. It's not that they are more famous, but because they don't play the same kind of music anymore and some people like all of it, some like the old stuff only, and some like the new stuff only. The atmosphere at live shows also change as a band gets bigger, but I wouldn't never quit liking a band for that reason. Other times, over the course of 5-10 years getting big, the original fanbase might just old fashion grow out of them, change their tastes, and be ready for the next new band.

But if someone specifically liked Arcade Fire's "The Suburbs" and then turned on that album after they won this award or because it's selling well then it would be a little silly since nothing about the album changed (I don't know if people are really doing that - just using that as an example).

As for your question (sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent there), I'm not sure how common it is to turn on a band when they win an award like this. I know Green Day, who was on a major at the time, lost a lot of their original fans when Dookie took off. Dookie won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Album that year.

Did any prominent Oscar viewers ask who Kathryn Bigelow was? Did prominent Emmy viewers ask what Mad Men was?
From what I understand, one of the big reasons the Oscar's increased the best picture nominees from 5 to 10 is because of people complaining that they didn't know who the nominees were (and then in turn not watching the show). I'm sure there are lots of tweets comparable to the ones in the whoisarcadefire (http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/) page from people mad that The Hurt Locker beat Avatar (among other films).

Martin J
02-15-2011, 09:53 AM

This could be life affirming moment. I actually quite like Arcade Fire so have obviously heard of them. But i had to use Google to find out who the hell Tawney Kitaen was. The only thing she has ever been in i have seen was a whitesnake video from the 80's.

gooch
02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I've heard of them, but don't know any of there songs. I rarely listen to FM stations. I either listen to sports talk radio or my iPod which has 5000 songs, 90% of which are hardcore or punk.
Here's a few others. I actually had no idea who Katy Perry was until the Sesame Street thing happened last year. Still don't know any songs, but man, she is hot. Never heard Justin Beeber either. Outside of a few bands, my knowledge of mainstream music ends in like 1995.

Caley Tibbittz
02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
They're Coldplay with a whinier lead singer and a crappier rhythm section. And if possible, their faux-deep lyrics are even more faux. I couldn't make it through any of the YouTube links I clicked on in this thread -- I couldn't even make it though the duet with U2 that I saw linked to on the Springsteen duet page. And I love U2.

Andreas
02-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Don't ask me. People over here still listen to Tina Turner and David Hasselhoff.

What's the "Grammys"? A group of Milfs that make music?

Strikeout
02-15-2011, 12:48 PM
They were never on my radar until late 2009 when Boston's WFNX radio station had a competition of the best albums of the decade. I gave them a listen and have loved them ever since.

Nobody else around me seems to know who they are, except the Canadian teacher I work with.

Oh and..."you ain't foolin' nobody....with the lights out" has got to be one the best lines in any song ever.

GelfXIII
02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd heard of them, but only because they were on Colbert that one time.

Taxman
02-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Don't ask me. People over here still listen to Tina Turner and David Hasselhoff.Still?

No one over here ever listed to David Hasselhoff.

Dark Sasha
02-15-2011, 01:20 PM
They're Coldplay with a whinier lead singer and a crappier rhythm section. And if possible, their faux-deep lyrics are even more faux. I couldn't make it through any of the YouTube links I clicked on in this thread -- I couldn't even make it though the duet with U2 that I saw linked to on the Springsteen duet page. And I love U2.

*cred plummets*

HoldFastNow
02-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I've heard of them, but don't know any of there songs. I rarely listen to FM stations. I either listen to sports talk radio or my iPod which has 5000 songs, 90% of which are hardcore or punk.
Here's a few others. I actually had no idea who Katy Perry was until the Sesame Street thing happened last year. Still don't know any songs, but man, she is hot. Never heard Justin Beeber either. Outside of a few bands, my knowledge of mainstream music ends in like 1995.

I love my 120 gb iPod. I haven't listened to the radio in years (except for the summer I worked in an office that played the modern rock channel all day). I do know the Bieber from working at an elementary school, but I don't know what his songs sound like.

Andreas
02-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Still?

No one over here ever listed to David Hasselhoff.

I guess it was so popular over here because his first album was produced by a German producer (who happened to produce this song for Laura Branigan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IyAGpooGko), too).

Dark Sasha
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I think it's sadder that these people think the Grammy's mean something.

Wigner's Friend
02-15-2011, 01:58 PM

It introduces a lot of people to a lot of music they otherwise wouldn't be exposed to. Before Sunday, I was pretty sure I'd never have a conversation explaining why a band would have one good drummer and one bad drummer, Bobby Darin infused hip-hop, or the layering of acoustic sounds in 'front porch folk'. But before Sunday he had never heard Arcade Fire or Janelle Monae, B.O.B., and Bruno Mars or Mumford & Sons and The Avett Brothers.

Caley Tibbittz
02-15-2011, 02:00 PM
They were never on my radar until late 2009 when Boston's WFNX radio station had a competition of the best albums of the decade. I gave them a listen and have loved them ever since.

Nobody else around me seems to know who they are, except the Canadian teacher I work with.

Oh and..."you ain't foolin' nobody....with the lights out" has got to be one the best lines in any song ever.

What song is that from?

SteveFlack
02-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Of course the Grammys don't mean anything. They give awards to unknown acts like The Arcade Fire, and snub Justin Bieber.

PhilipClark
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I know of them, but I don't listen to the radio or at least not for that kind of music.

Upon seeing their Grammy performance, I can truly say they're not my cup of tea.

I sure knew who Esperanza Spalding was, though.

Jason California
02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
I could not tell you any of their songs

Briomega
02-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I could not tell you any of their songs

I believe one of them is called: "Trailer Music for Where the Wild Things Are."

Caley Tibbittz
02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
*cred plummets*

I don't listen to music for "cred".

U2 haters/dissers tend to either react to the band based on hype and media, or be stuck in the bands' supposed glory days/zenith.

The actual music is very good, Bono has grown into one of the greatest lyricists ever to work in popular music (not for Get On Your Boots, which is fun, but in songs like Cedars of Lebanon), and the concerts are amazing (I listen to their bootleg concerts almost exclusively when I write scripts).

Strikeout
02-15-2011, 02:44 PM
What song is that from?

"Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)". Funeral album.

Caley Tibbittz
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
"Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)". Funeral album.

Thanks. Youtube'd.

It's not working for me though. I really can't stand this band.

TheFalcon
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I've heard about them a few times, but never liked the songs I've heard on the radio or on youtube. The instruments sounds to busy (IIRC from their Colbert appearance there's a lot of people playing, which is probably why) and I can't understand the vocals most of the time.

I tried Keep the car running which was linked earlier, but it sounded too muddled like their other songs. Then I saw a version with one of my favorite bands in the related videos and tried that. It was much better IMO, although I still don't think it's a great song: Foo Fighters - Keep the car running (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttUgUO8UZsY&feature=related)

Although I know a lot of other people like them. I actually thought they were pretty well known as I remember hearing them win lots of awards before and their albums are usually rated pretty high, which is why I've been tempted too try their songs a few times.

Dark Sasha
02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't listen to music for "cred".

U2 haters/dissers tend to either react to the band based on hype and media, or be stuck in the bands' supposed glory days/zenith.

The actual music is very good, Bono has grown into one of the greatest lyricists ever to work in popular music (not for Get On Your Boots, which is fun, but in songs like Cedars of Lebanon), and the concerts are amazing (I listen to their bootleg concerts almost exclusively when I write scripts).

YEAH YEAH YeAH YEAH YEAH YEaH!!!!!!!

LEEEEEEEEEMON!

Taxman
02-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Bono has grown into one of the greatest lyricists ever to work in popular music (This is exactly what I was thinking as I was watching Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark.

Wait, no it wasn't.

Jef UK
02-15-2011, 03:08 PM
This is why music snobs are snobby. Bad taste abounds.

UltimateFactor
02-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Bought Suburbs today. Don't like it. Guess they aren't my style.

MayorMitch100
02-15-2011, 03:12 PM
This is why music snobs are snobby. Bad taste abounds.

Does it matter? Can't they just like what they like and you like what you like and let it be?

Jef UK
02-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Does it matter? Can't they just like what they like and you like what you like and let it be?

Does it matter? Can't I just post what I want to post and you post what you want to post and let it be?

Oh, cuz then message boards wouldn't work.

Mylazycat
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
It's not so much people not knowing who Arcade Fire is that bothers me, it's more the self centeredness behind the reaction. It is more or less, "What? A band I have never heard of won a major award over other artists I do know, therefore they must be nobodies/suck/undeserving!" Really? Those folks need to get over themselves - their musical awareness and their tastes are not the end all and be all of the world at large.

batroc the leaper
02-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Bought Suburbs today. Don't like it. Guess they aren't my style.

It didn't hit me on my first go through either, but I would definitely recommend giving it a second shot, because it grew on me in the best possible way.

SgtPepper
02-15-2011, 04:47 PM
It didn't hit me on my first go through either, but I would definitely recommend giving it a second shot, because it grew on me in the best possible way.

I felt the same way about Trout Mask Replica. 6,000 spins later and I still don't understand that record.

Dave S.
02-15-2011, 06:33 PM
They're Coldplay with a whinier lead singer and a crappier rhythm section. And if possible, their faux-deep lyrics are even more faux.

No way are they whinier than coldplay. But yes to the faux-deep lyrics.

"They say a watched pot won't ever boil,
you can't raise a baby on motor oil"

Really? Blech.

King of Mars
02-15-2011, 08:33 PM
It's not so much people not knowing who Arcade Fire is that bothers me, it's more the self centeredness behind the reaction. It is more or less, "What? A band I have never heard of won a major award over other artists I do know, therefore they must be nobodies/suck/undeserving!" Really? Those folks need to get over themselves - their musical awareness and their tastes are not the end all and be all of the world at large.Honestly, I'm not sure that the reaction from Arcade Fire fans would have been all that different if someone else had won. I mean, it would have been a lot quieter, and it probably would have been preceded by, "I know the Grammys don't really mean anything...", but I think there would have been a fair amount of bitching about "real" artists being passed over for a mainstream act like Gaga or Eminem.

Doc Randy
02-15-2011, 08:40 PM
No way are they whinier than coldplay. But yes to the faux-deep lyrics.

"They say a watched pot won't ever boil,
you can't raise a baby on motor oil"

Really? Blech.

Why assume they are faux-deep and not just fun and silly?

Without being able to read their minds or being part of the creative process, what is the paradigm for determining what they are going for?

Regardless, as they said in Spinal Tap, "There is a very fine line between stupid and clever." :)

Liquid
02-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I've been a fan of Arcade Fire from before they even had a CD (saw them at local gigs), so it pains me to say that I've lost respect for them. Well, not the whole group, just the girl.

I recently saw an interview with her in French where she basically said she couldn't give a flying #&%@ about winning or being nominated for a Grammy, and how her band turned down U2's invite for them to open during U2's recent tour (without mentioning that they already opened for U2 back in '05, and strangely enough, a day before it was announced that they were opening for U2's newly added Canadian date). She had this arrogance of like "we're too indie/pure to open for a commercial act like that, and awards mean nothing to us".

Anyways, when they won the Grammy, she practically burst from joy, and was just itching to get to the mic, so much so that she actually interrupted her husband, Will Butler. So damn phony. And that's me saying that after hearing her give props to my hometown.

Superior Kiai
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
I only listened to their first album at the insistence of a friend, but there were a lot of great tracks there I still carry with me to this day

MayorMitch100
02-15-2011, 09:44 PM
I only listened to their first album at the insistence of a friend, but there were a lot of great tracks there I still carry with me to this day

Listen to Neon Bible. It is one of my favorite albums ever.

Shwicaz
02-16-2011, 01:03 AM

I haven't listened to the radio for music since the early 90's.

I don't watch T.V.

I know of the name, but I couldn't tell you 'who' they are, what they sing, or in what genre of music it is.

PatrickA
02-16-2011, 02:57 AM
I was aware that there is a band called Arcade Fire, that they were critically popular and that they were nominated. .I don't think it is unreasonable for someone not to know about them or not be familiar with them.

I think it's just as valid a question to ask why anyone who likes Arcade Fire cares that there are people who don't or who aren't familiar with the band. Especially since it seems to be a point of pride (a marketing) on the band's part that they aren't mainstream (or as un-mainstream as you can be winning a Grammy).

BurningPumpkin
02-16-2011, 04:15 AM
I only know they exist cos I happened to stumble over their latest album and thought, "Are they the same band that had that song out years ago that I heard once, loved but never found again?".

They don't seem to get an awful lot of press (apart from just now, of course, cos of their Brits win).

xyzzy
02-16-2011, 04:30 AM

I have no idea who they are, but I don't listen to the radio anymore.

Mylazycat
02-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure that the reaction from Arcade Fire fans would have been all that different if someone else had won. I mean, it would have been a lot quieter, and it probably would have been preceded by, "I know the Grammys don't really mean anything...", but I think there would have been a fair amount of bitching about "real" artists being passed over for a mainstream act like Gaga or Eminem.

I think most Arcade Fire fans didn't expect the band to win, therefore would have had no disapointment or emotional reaction to any of the others getting the win.

Why assume they are faux-deep and not just fun and silly?

Without being able to read their minds or being part of the creative process, what is the paradigm for determining what they are going for?

Regardless, as they said in Spinal Tap, "There is a very fine line between stupid and clever." :)

This reminds me of reviws I've seen over the years about Morrissey's work. Some found his lyrics bitter and depressing, while others found them witty and funny. ("I'm gonna be sick/all over your frankly vulgar/red pull over/now see how the two colors blend my friend?" being an example that comes to mind.) It's all in how you look at it.

I was aware that there is a band called Arcade Fire, that they were critically popular and that they were nominated. .I don't think it is unreasonable for someone not to know about them or not be familiar with them.

That is understandable. What's not understandable is acting as if the world or your personal world will now fall about because an act you've never heard of has just won the Grammy for best album.

PatrickA
02-16-2011, 05:54 AM
That is understandable. What's not understandable is acting as if the world or your personal world will now fall about because an act you've never heard of has just won the Grammy for best album.

I agree.

Although I suspect there would be a lot of complaining from Arcade Fire fans if Bieber had won. It's just a matter of picking what you are going to be angry about when your group/guy/girl loses.

bartleby
02-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Although I suspect there would be a lot of complaining from Arcade Fire fans if Bieber had won.

If Bieber had beaten Arcade Fire for Best Album, I would have been one of the most vocal in making accusations that there was some funny business going on...mainly because Bieber wasn't one of the nominees in that category.

PatrickA
02-16-2011, 05:58 AM
If Bieber had beaten Arcade Fire for Best Album, I would have been one of the most vocal in making accusations that there was some funny business going on...mainly because Bieber wasn't one of the nominees in that category.

Ack, my ignorance is showing!

frzamonkey
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
the only reason i know of them is because pitchfork writers really like them. they don't make the kind of music i listen to.

Magnum V.I.
02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/The-Beatles-arent-underground.png

chazbot
02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
I agree.

Although I suspect there would be a lot of complaining from Arcade Fire fans if Bieber had won. It's just a matter of picking what you are going to be angry about when your group/guy/girl loses.

Black Keys fans should be angry. Somehow their album is good enough to beat Arcade Fire for Best Alternative Album yet not good enough to be considered for Album of the Year.

Ashwin Pande
02-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Does everyone at least know who Tv On The Radio are?

bert
02-18-2011, 08:49 AM
they don't make the kind of music i listen to.

This.

I know who they are, but the perfomances I've seen (on late night television, or on the Grammys) left me cold.

I was so unimpressed by the Grammy 1st perfomance, I was more shocked that they had been asked to do a 2nd song, more than I was that they won.

just not my cuppa tea.

bartleby
02-18-2011, 08:50 AM

TV on the Radio strikes me as far more esoteric than Arcade Fire.

thatguyfromsyracuse
02-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Why doesn't everybody know about all the stuff that I like?!

Ashwin Pande
02-18-2011, 08:53 AM
TV on the Radio strikes me as far more esoteric than Arcade Fire.

Really? I don't know but I figure if I've heard of them and like them then they've got to be reasonably well known.

Ashwin Pande
02-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Like, there's a bunch of bands, The National for example, of whom I wouldn't know about if I hadn't read about them here but TV On The Radio and Arcade Fire I found out about through twitter or facebook or just from hanging around the internet.

Dark Sasha
02-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah, Tv on the Radio isn't out there and they're doing weirder stuff. Arcade Fire is just doing high brow pop.

Jef UK
02-18-2011, 09:16 AM

I do because I'm super cool, but they are so much lesser known than Arcade Fire.

bartleby
02-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I do because I'm super cool

The only bands that I haven't heard of are the ones that are really popular.

silverboy
02-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Finally got around to downloading The Suburbs. Great stuff.

Mylazycat
02-23-2011, 05:24 AM
Wayne Coyne Of The Flaming Lips Tears Arcade Fire A New Asshole

“I’m a fan of them on one level, but on another level I get really tired of their pompousness … We’ve played some shows with them and they really treat people like shit. Whenever I’ve been around them, I’ve found that they not only treated their crew like shit, they treated the audience like shit. They treated everybody in their vicinity like shit. I thought, ‘Who do they think they are?’ I don’t know why people put up with it. I wouldn’t put up with it. I don’t care if it’s Arcade Fire or Brian Eno. If either of them walked into a room and treated people like shit I’d be like, ‘Fuck you, get outta here.’

… People treat Arcade Fire like they’re the greatest thing ever and they get away with it. Those sort of opinions change my view of their music. They have good tunes, but they’re pricks, so fuck ‘em. Who does Arcade Fire think they are? I’ve been around groups. I’ve been around the Edge from U2 and he’s the fucking sweetest guy ever. I was around Justin Timberlake when he was young and he was just a normal, nice, kind person. Anyone can be polite and kind and people who have the privilege and money and attention should understand that. If they don’t, then fuck ‘em.”

http://stereogum.com/56431/wayne_coyne_tears_arcade_fire_a_new_asshole/franchises/wheres-the-beef/

HoldFastNow
02-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Arcade Fire are finally playing anon-festival date in Las Vegas, in a pretty big venue for a Coachella offshoot show. I'm pretty excited to finally get to see them live!

Benel Germosen
02-23-2011, 06:18 AM

“I’m a fan of them on one level, but on another level I get really tired of their pompousness … We’ve played some shows with them and they really treat people like shit. Whenever I’ve been around them, I’ve found that they not only treated their crew like shit, they treated the audience like shit. They treated everybody in their vicinity like shit. I thought, ‘Who do they think they are?’ I don’t know why people put up with it. I wouldn’t put up with it. I don’t care if it’s Arcade Fire or Brian Eno. If either of them walked into a room and treated people like shit I’d be like, ‘Fuck you, get outta here.’

… People treat Arcade Fire like they’re the greatest thing ever and they get away with it. Those sort of opinions change my view of their music. They have good tunes, but they’re pricks, so fuck ‘em. Who does Arcade Fire think they are? I’ve been around groups. I’ve been around the Edge from U2 and he’s the fucking sweetest guy ever. I was around Justin Timberlake when he was young and he was just a normal, nice, kind person. Anyone can be polite and kind and people who have the privilege and money and attention should understand that. If they don’t, then fuck ‘em.”

http://stereogum.com/56431/wayne_coyne_tears_arcade_fire_a_new_asshole/franchises/wheres-the-beef/

I love Wayne Coyne.

That motherfucker just doesn't give a shit.

Strikeout
02-23-2011, 06:21 AM
This.

I know who they are, but the perfomances I've seen (on late night television, or on the Grammys) left me cold.

I was so unimpressed by the Grammy 1st perfomance, I was more shocked that they had been asked to do a 2nd song, more than I was that they won.

just not my cuppa tea.

"Month of May" has to be the worst song on The Suburbs. I asked myself why they played that song on the Grammys too.

Doc Randy
03-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I finally got the album Suburbs. I love the album. It is a good old fashioned classic long-form album. Good stuff.

King of Mars
03-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Awesome. :)