PDA

View Full Version : Hetero relationships in comics!

Jason California
02-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Which heterosexual relationships do you feel are handled the best in comics right now? Which seem like the most real to you? Who is writing the relationships that seem the most genuine to you about how heterosexuals interact with eachother? What are the worst? What are the most unrealsitc ones?

My favorite are the Cyclops/White Queen, and Lois/Clark dynamic. A lot of this probably has to with Cyclops and Superman being some of my favorite characters in comics. They both have qualities that I really look up to and would want to emulate. The women in their lives are really the best fit for them. Plus the relationships read to me like real heterosexual relationships, and are not just 2 straight people put together to just to do so.

I think The Scott/Emma dynamic is the best though, probably because she helps him bring to the service a lot of things he has repressed over he years because he did not think that was what the image he had presented to anybody would allow. She challenges him to true to who he is.

I also get a kick out of the Peter and MJ relationship in USM. Sure I do not have stress in my relationships because I go out at night swinging through the streets saving people, but I have laughed more than once empathizing with how MJ can go off the wall and cause Pet to just stare at her draw dropped over her reactions sometimes. :lol:

I hated the hook up between She Hulk and Juggernaut though. That screamed of just so much BS. These are both muscle people of course they will want to have sex. Please.

And don't get me started on Black Panther and Storm! Hey they are both black and hetero! Lets hook them up! Oh, there is absolutely no reason to have put them together other than them both being straight and black? We will just write up some after the fact story that shows they were childhood sweet hearts and everything will be OK.
So what about you?

jamestolliver
02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Why limit this to hetero?

Anyway, I love Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Teal_Lantern
02-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Seconded on Mj/Peter and Cyclops/ Frost. I'll also add USM's Gwen and Peter. I mean, I just loved the story ar they went through. Heck, anything from USM should go here.

jamestolliver
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Oh wait, I see what's happening now!

Teal_Lantern
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh wait, I see what's happening now!

Can you tell me? :mistrust:

BnL
02-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I can't think of any hetero relationship in comics that I like. They always seem to be JUST about being straight, and I don't like having it rubbed in my face like that.

jamestolliver
02-02-2011, 03:40 PM
I can't think of any hetero relationship in comics that I like. They always seem to be JUST about being straight, and I don't like having it rubbed in my face like that.

...wat?

Roman Noodles
02-02-2011, 03:43 PM

:lol:

capntightpants
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Hehe.

Tobias M
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM

How can I raise my kids with all that HeteroSex in my comics! It's not right!!

Jason California
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM

http://reimaginegroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/facebook-like-button-512x341.jpg

RobStaeger
02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Honestly, having it rubbed in my face is one of the things I like most about being hetero. But that has nothing to do with what I want to see in comics. I mean, KIDS read these things!

RobStaeger
02-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I just don't want to have to explain to my nephew why Clark and Lois are married, is all. If his mom wants to explain, she can -- but I don't want to force the issue by giving him the wrong comic.

DonC
02-02-2011, 03:56 PM

I enjoy it when Johnny Fuckfaster rubs it in Cherry Poptart's face.

michealdark
02-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Gert and Chase I think were hands down the best couple of the decade.

Guy Smith and U-Go Girl are a recent favorite of mine.

Beast Boy and Raven I feel have potential, if the writers can ever settle on how to handle it (it looks like JT has settled on them being split up, because of Raven's insecurities, but still close and still wanting eachother). Wonder Girl and Superboy were cute too, and at their best were really good. But sometimes there was too much drama there.

Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown are perfect together. They've settled into "just friends" though. Sad, but it seems to work with their brief team-ups and where they are in their lives in Red Robin and Batgirl.

Madman and Joe are amazing too

Basque
02-02-2011, 05:32 PM
This is a pretty funny thread.

Len Snark
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I like Tarot and Skeleton Man's relationship.

michealdark
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Tarot as in Jim Balent's Tarot?

Hugin
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm seeing some possibility in Damian/Ravager. That could be neat. And they seem to have Bruce/Selina in a pretty good place ATM. Attracted, but apart, but still allies. It seems to work best for that duo.

Cam63
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
How can I raise my kids with all that HeteroSex in my comics! It's not right!!

Tell them it's a scary world out there and they need to be prepared.

...and carry a kukri.

michealdark
02-02-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm seeing some possibility in Damian/Ravager. That could be neat. And they seem to have Bruce/Selina in a pretty good place ATM. Attracted, but apart, but still allies. It seems to work best for that duo.

No. I can see them being close, but in a brother/sister way. Rose and Eddie were an amazing couple though.

Basque
02-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Damian is 10. Ravager is what? 17?

michealdark
02-02-2011, 08:35 PM
16 or 17

shrike
02-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Even the mere mention of a man and woman in comics kissing makes me projectile vomit. There. I said it.

Hugin
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Damian is 10. Ravager is what? 17?Since when have comic ages been consistant? Or mattered at all, for that matter?

Roman Noodles
02-02-2011, 09:19 PM
It's a slippery slope people. First men and women, then what? Cats and dogs? Birds and Mice?

It's disgusting and needs to be get beaten out of them while they're still young.

Lew'sGhost
02-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Lois and Superman whenever the dynamic is written correctly is probably the greatest. Morally superior farm boy meets intellectually superior city girl. One is simple, one is sophisticated. One is strong, the other smart. It's a great dynamic that has stood the test of time.

With that in mind, I've always wanted to see an Elseworlds story where this dynamic went awry somehow and Superman and Wonder Woman wound up together. Like, really together. Making babies together and rebuilding the human race together. I think that would be a really interesting story if handled right. Often, in the past, writers have always focused on why Diana and Clark could not work and why they do not get along as a couple that well. I just think it'd be swell if enough situations arose that accentuated their common ground- both more powerful than a locomotive- both love America and the human race but aren't really a part of it- both come from alien worlds- both like stir fry. Hell, I don't know what else, but I'd buy it.

Reverend Smooth
02-03-2011, 03:50 AM
There's always these token straight people around. It's like they have to include a hetero relationship just to make it appealing or to make some kind of statement or something.

(I'm only half-kidding, actually, there are so many stories where a het love interest is forced just to try to stir more interest when the characters have zero chemistry. Half the time the bromance would be more interesting if they just liplocked, but no, the obligatory girl (or guy if it's two women) has to show up when it's clear the creator was way more invested (platonically or not) in the friendship.)

Basque
02-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Since when have comic ages been consistant? Or mattered at all, for that matter?

It matters when we're talking about a relationship between a young child and an older teen. Besides, Damian is being portrayed consistently as a child in all DCU books, including Teen Titans, in which this is taking place.

SidekicksRevenge
02-03-2011, 04:29 AM
Since when have comic ages been consistant? Or mattered at all, for that matter?

http://www.comics101.com/comics101//news/Comics%20101/21/colossus.jpg

Lew'sGhost
02-03-2011, 07:00 AM
There's always these token straight people around. It's like they have to include a hetero relationship just to make it appealing or to make some kind of statement or something.

(I'm only half-kidding, actually, there are so many stories where a het love interest is forced just to try to stir more interest when the characters have zero chemistry. Half the time the bromance would be more interesting if they just liplocked, but no, the obligatory girl (or guy if it's two women) has to show up when it's clear the creator was way more invested (platonically or not) in the friendship.)

Add the unnecessary love story to the list of things bad producers force upon good writers then, or the list of things bad writers think is necessary for a "critically acclaimed" drama. I think that qualifies and can honestly say I've been annoyed by that element as much as the others.

You may have half-missed the point I was trying to make earlier... but I guess it may be more fun to try to demonize me. Hey, whatever, folks. I'm not taking this personally and neither should you.

bert
02-03-2011, 07:06 AM

yeah. . and whoever said Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

really??

all they do is whine and talk and talk. . SOOOO much drama.

and then there's all that butt-sex.

dasNdanger
02-03-2011, 07:54 AM
yeah. . and whoever said Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

really??

all they do is whine and talk and talk. . SOOOO much drama.

and then there's all that butt-sex.

Let's face it, Luke really wants to be on the down-low.

As far as hetero relationships go, I like Emma and Scott...just because. Personally, I don't like ANY romantic relationships in my books. I just get annoyed with the clingy crap and drama. I much prefer something different...will start a thread on it.

das

Ziggy Stardust
02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm a romantic at heart, so....

Peter/MJ 4 EVAH!

Scott/Jean

Sue/Reed

Sue/Ralph

chazbot
02-03-2011, 08:35 AM
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/300/8/d/Invincible_and_Atom_Eve_by_Balla_Bdog.png

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
02-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Jesse Custer & Tulip O' Hare
Superman & Lois Lane (when done right)
Spider Jerusalem & Yelena Rossini (...what? Looking back, it was a fairly nice alternative to the usual 'love of my life' relationships that are shown so typically. Plus, he did knock her up at the end of the series.)

Gail Simone
02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't think ANY hetero relationships are convincing!

michealdark
02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
But you still write them...

That reminds me: Black Alice and Ragdoll!

jhota
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I like Tarot and Skeleton Man's relationship.

doesn't count. Tarot is pansexual, and Jon's a pussy. even if he does wield Mjöllnir for the time being.

Reverend Smooth
02-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Add the unnecessary love story to the list of things bad producers force upon good writers then, or the list of things bad writers think is necessary for a "critically acclaimed" drama. I think that qualifies and can honestly say I've been annoyed by that element as much as the others.

You may have half-missed the point I was trying to make earlier... but I guess it may be more fun to try to demonize me. Hey, whatever, folks. I'm not taking this personally and neither should you.
I got the point (this kind of topic is the norm on the other boards I frequent) and my remark was tangenting in regards to the subject. I wasn't thinking of demonising you at all.

You seem to be taking something personally. Who are you again?

adam_warlock_2099
02-16-2011, 05:31 AM

I couldn't agree more. Now lets get with the She-Hulk MAX title. And I swear to god if she's knocking the boots with any thing else than another gal in boots, than I am going to have to get my lesbian She-Hulk fantasies somewhere else!

K-DoG7p7
02-16-2011, 06:14 AM
16 or 17

Rose? Hell no
Shes 18 or 19.

Or is speedy the only teen allowed to age?

michealdark
02-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Well, she does own a motorcycle, so yeah, she's probably between 17-19 then.

As for She-Hulk, I think Jen should be with Jazinda. Jaz certainly has a crush on her. Big one. And she was always close with Jaz.

Ravenwing263
02-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Tim Drake owned a motorcycle before he was sixteen ...

michealdark
02-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Touche.

Jose
02-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Tim Drake owned a motorcycle before he was sixteen ...

Didn't he get a driving exception because he had to take care of his father or something?

RachelEvil
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
I couldn't agree more. Now lets get with the She-Hulk MAX title. And I swear to god if she's knocking the boots with any thing else than another gal in boots, than I am going to have to get my lesbian She-Hulk fantasies somewhere else!

There is a whole internet for that.

Ravenwing263
02-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Didn't he get a driving exception because he had to take care of his father or something?

Possibly, he did.

But you also get a driving exception for being a Super-Hero.

Drkemerld73
02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Which heterosexual relationships do you feel are handled the best in comics right now? Which seem like the most real to you? Who is writing the relationships that seem the most genuine to you about how heterosexuals interact with eachother?

Two of my favorites:

Wally West and Linda

Jesse Custer and Tulip O'Hare - I think this is the most real and genuine as they go through a lot, but despite it all they love and care about each other deeply.

adam_warlock_2099
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
There is a whole internet for that.

I know, I just needed some new material. I've seen it all.

Two of my favorites:

Wally West and Linda

Jesse Custer and Tulip O'Hare - I think this is the most real and genuine as they go through a lot, but despite it all they love and care about each other deeply.

While I haven't finished Preacher yet, I get that their relationship is going to only get better.

Chris Jones
02-16-2011, 10:17 AM

Ugh, this statement is just dripping with gay privilege.

adam_warlock_2099
02-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Ugh, this statement is just dripping with gay privilege.

There can be heteraphobes just like there are homophobes.

Danimal
02-16-2011, 11:23 AM
I like to think of myself as one of the good heterosexuals. Yes, I live with a woman but we don't flaunt it. I'm not out there wearing football jerseys or grilling everyday. We have the decency to keep things in our bedroom. I don't sleep around like a lot of those other straight people do. Sure, we go to functions with our kids but we don't hold hands in public or kiss or other stuff.

Ravenwing263
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Two of my favorites:

Wally West and Linda

Jesse and Tulip are a rare good example.

But Wally and Linda are full of played-out straight stereotypes.

Jason California
02-16-2011, 12:00 PM
I like to think of myself as one of the good heterosexuals. Yes, I live with a woman but we don't flaunt it. I'm not out there wearing football jerseys or grilling everyday. We have the decency to keep things in our bedroom. I don't sleep around like a lot of those other straight people do. Sure, we go to functions with our kids but we don't hold hands in public or kiss or other stuff.

Great post

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

adam_warlock_2099
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM

This is like a public service announcement made just for me. Thank you, I didn't realize what a dick I was being by buying sexualized cloths for my wife and then flaunting her every chance I get. Holding her hand, kissing her. Hell I think I've even patted her ass in public. Didn't realize what a tool I was being for the oppression of anyone who is different.

Len Snark
02-16-2011, 03:55 PM

I consider myself a "good" heterosexual that tries to keep his sexuality under wraps as well. Having said that when the straight pride parade rolls into town, I get pretty crazy.