PDA

View Full Version : Wizard magazine to end

DaveCummings
01-24-2011, 07:19 AM
According to Bleeding cool http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/24/wizard-magazine-to-close-immediately/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool +Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29&utm_content=Twitter

Kirblar
01-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Not surprising.

Ben
01-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Where will I go now for my "A Day in the Life of a Wizard Magazine Intern" articles?!

Jef UK
01-24-2011, 07:23 AM
They still make Wizard Magazine??

Ryudo
It's been dying a slow death ever since they got the former editor of a bikini mag to take over as EIC.

It has also long been a shell of its former self.

Ah, the good old days.

NickT
Before the thread gets into the hate-fest :)

Shame. It wasn't the highest quality magazine or anything but it was alright. I think as such the biggest problem with the book was simply that there were no other magazines sitting next to it to give other perspectives.

Haven't bought it reguarly in years since that money can go on comics, which I think is another issue.

cPol
Not surprising.

Truth. A niche market magazine covering content that caters to a readership that could probably be counted amongst the most internet-connected people on the planet and have already read the majority of a given issue's content two months before it was published.

In its heyday, it served its purpose. Its time has passed.

Evan the Shaggy
01-24-2011, 07:24 AM
So with the magazine ending, will the conventions keep going?

Ryudo
01-24-2011, 07:25 AM
If their site was a news hub instead of a place to shill products, then it might have stayed slightly relevant.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 07:25 AM

I hope so. I mean, where else am I going to be able to meet The Honky Tonk Man?

NickT
01-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Truth. A niche market magazine covering content that caters to a readership that could probably be counted amongst the most internet-connected people on the planet and have already read the majority of a given issue's content two months before it was published.

In its heyday, it served its purpose. Its time has passed.
I dunno, even a few years ago a lot of it's content wasn't news.

Garth
01-24-2011, 07:26 AM
It was really fun when I was reading it growing up. I didn't have any friends who read comics, so it really made the reader feel like they were part of something cool. I agree that it sloped downwards later on, but it was a pretty big part of my teenage years.

Ryudo
01-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Or various "superstars" from various "wrestling" federations?

NickT
Since they keep adding them I assume they're doing well.

SteveFlack
Good riddance, Wizard Magazine. You were an ugly blight on the industry and outlived your usefulness years ago.

AndrewG

Shame. It wasn't the highest quality magazine or anything but it was alright. I think as such the biggest problem with the book was simply that there were no other magazines sitting next to it to give other perspectives.

Haven't bought it reguarly in years since that money can go on comics, which I think is another issue.

Yeah.

And although the magazine got 'thinner' in recent years and a big focused turned to movies and tv when they did focus some articles on comics it was better than its been for awhile.

dougmac
01-24-2011, 07:28 AM
If their site was a news hub instead of a place to shill products, then it might have stayed slightly relevant.

the internet killed it though. With sites like NEwsarama and CBR and creators having their own boards (like this one) there just was no longer a need for it.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Or various "superstars" from various "wrestling" federations?

Virgil needs to get paid, motherfucker.

bachman
01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
I read Wizard when I started reading comics around 1993, when I was 13. I would get so excited whenever I saw that a new issue was out.

Evan the Shaggy
01-24-2011, 07:30 AM

:rofl:!!!

bachman
01-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeah.

And although the magazine got 'thinner' in recent years and a big focused turned to movies and tv when they did focus some articles on comics it was better than its been for awhile.

It has been ridiculously bad over the past few years. They would advertise things like "info on the new Spider-Man movie!" before there was any actual news. The article would say things like "While there has been no official announcement, here are some villains left for them to use!" Ugh.

A.Huerta
01-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Rip

SteveFlack
the internet killed it though. With sites like NEwsarama and CBR and creators having their own boards (like this one) there just was no longer a need for it.

They killed themselves. They should have actually tried to get better as a journalistic endeavor, rather than attempt to be a outdated website in a magazine form. People always loved their "Director's Commentary" features. How about more of that, and more in depth, rather than article after article on comic book movies that they have no facts on whatsoever.

Evan the Shaggy
Oh man, I just realized. I hope this doesn't affect Twisted Toyfare Theater.

Ray G.
01-24-2011, 07:33 AM
I remember picking it up in 1993. Used to love the hell out of it.

I wound up dropping it in 2005 when it started really shifting way too much towards movies.

EdNEMO
01-24-2011, 07:35 AM
I have a subscription. I wonder how they will repay subscription holders.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Oh man, I just realized. I hope this doesn't affect Twisted Toyfare Theater.

Robot Chicken will continue.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Same way they have been for years: with crotch punches.

Actually, in the magazine industry, when a magazine closes, they usually just pad out your subscription with a subscription to a "related magazine". So, I'd assume you'll get Toyfare.

Ryudo
01-24-2011, 07:37 AM
I dropped it right around the time they changed the size of it.

Honestly, it was great, I loved reading it for quite a while. It was one of the only places you could get good creator interviews.

But once they put that one dude from FHM in as EIC, it started going downhill.

Marcdachamp
01-24-2011, 07:39 AM
They killed themselves. They should have actually tried to get better as a journalistic endeavor, rather than attempt to be a outdated website in a magazine form. People's always loved their "Director's Commentary" features. How about more of that, and more in depth, rather than article after article on comic book movies that they have no facts on whatsoever.

Nailed it. I used to love those articles so much. It killed me to see them become such a shell of what they once were. They used to really have informative stuff. I wrote a paper on George Reeves just a few years ago after reading an excellent article they did on him.

Jim Schnobrich
01-24-2011, 07:40 AM
I haven't read that magazine in, probably, fifteen years. Sounds like I wasn't missing much.

NickT
01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
They killed themselves. They should have actually tried to get better as a journalistic endeavor, rather than attempt to be a outdated website in a magazine form. People's always loved their "Director's Commentary" features. How about more of that, and more in depth, rather than article after article on comic book movies that they have no facts on whatsoever.
That's partially why I think the lack of competition killed them. By being the only wide-spread comic magazine they got a lot of unfair flack for just not being the book some people wanted, and they also had nothing to compete against. It just seems to me like no matter how good they actually got their readership wont change much. If they could have been in a position where they had TCJ and Comic Foundry sitting next to them I think they would have actually done better, as then things like those commentaries (Which are indeed very interesting) or things about artist's processes (I saw a Maleev one with a copy I got in 2009ish) would have a chance of actually bringing people in.

artimoff
01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
20 years too late. Wizard was one of the main instigators of the 90's crash. You don't know how many issues of Brigade we sold because Wizard told them it was a hot comic. Fuck them.

Ziolko
01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
20 years too late. Wizard was one of the main instigators of the 90's crash. You don't know how many issues of Brigade we sold because Wizard told them it was a hot comic. Fuck them.

Wait wait WAIT!!! Do you mean all twelve copies of RAI #0 I've been holding onto this whole time aren't worth anything now? SHIT!!!

EdNEMO
01-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Actually, in the magazine industry, when a magazine closes, they usually just pad out your subscription with a subscription to a "related magazine". So, I'd assume you'll get Toyfare.

I already get Toyfare as well. In fact. I ordered a 2 year subscription of both in October and received my first issues in December. I have received a total of 2 so far. (2 Toyfares and 2 Wizards). Maybe they'll send me some unsold BlackBull comics.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 07:48 AM
That's partially why I think the lack of competition killed them. By being the only wide-spread comic magazine they got a lot of unfair flack for just not being the book some people wanted, and they also had nothing to compete against. It just seems to me like no matter how good they actually got their readership wont change much. If they could have been in a position where they had TCJ and Comic Foundry sitting next to them I think they would have actually done better.

They did have competition: the internet. Let's face it, print as a source of up-to-the-minute news and reaction is dead. But, print as a place for actual in depth reporting and commentary is still viable.

Ziolko
01-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I will say, 16 year-old me would have never known about books like Madman, Rare Bit Fiends and Concrete if it wasn't for early Wizard Magazine, back when they actually went out of their way to showcase that stuff with Palmer's Picks.

HeroBoy
01-24-2011, 07:50 AM
A lot of Haterade in this thread.

While not the greatest, Wizard Magazine had some features that were truly enjoyable, and I will miss features like Director Commentaries and indepth creator profiles. There is no substitute for these features.

However I won't miss fanboy casting couches...

NickT
01-24-2011, 07:51 AM
They did have competition: the internet. Let's face it, print as a source of up-to-the-minute news and reaction is dead. But, print as a place for actual in depth reporting and commentary is still viable.
I don't think the internet is the same kind of competition though.

Marcdachamp
01-24-2011, 07:51 AM

And that's one of the things that kills me. They used to be a very good source for that kind of thing. I used to really love getting a new copy of Wizard. They made some very poor choices and it showed.

Evan the Shaggy
01-24-2011, 07:53 AM
What was the whole "Death of Captain America" controversy again? They bought most of the issues in order to help push CGC or something?

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't think the internet is the same kind of competition though.

It's not, because there is no competition. The internet kills it, hands down. But, Wizard still treated it like it was. (How many times did Wizard try and embargo a news "exclusive" just to have it leak days before the magazine hit stands?)

I AM GROOT!
01-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Within the last five years, what used to have some great comic articles and interviews slowly diminished to one or two page "advertisements" of a movie or TV, or, at the most, a mention of some new comic project. It was more filler than anything else. While I'm disappointed that the magazine went out on a low, it's probably for the best.

Cth
01-24-2011, 07:57 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/04/%21B+H-fugCWk%7E$%28KGrHqQOKpQEy+jCzFonBM-uRP2SeQ%7E%7E_3.JPG

A.Huerta
01-24-2011, 07:58 AM
I remember picking it up in 1993. Used to love the hell out of it.

I wound up dropping it in 2005 when it started really shifting way too much towards movies.

I dropped it when I got the internet.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 07:58 AM
What was the whole "Death of Captain America" controversy again? They bought most of the issues in order to help push CGC or something?

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=108408

Within hours of the news of the events of Captain America #25 Wizard’s online store was selling copies of the issue at multiples of its cover price, and had dozens if not hundreds of copies up for sale on eBay in hundreds of auctions – both graded and ungraded by CGC, available both as single issues and as lots. Many retailers felt and claimed that, given the need for Wizard magazine to have information in advance for publication, the Wizard store knew of what was to occur in the issue, and was able to order accordingly, as well as buy up Google AdWords for the issue. The thing was, retailers pointed out, some angrily, that other retailers did not know what was coming in the issue, and only had hints and urgings from Marvel to order the issue in appreciable quantity.

I AM GROOT!
01-24-2011, 07:59 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/04/%21B+H-fugCWk%7E$%28KGrHqQOKpQEy+jCzFonBM-uRP2SeQ%7E%7E_3.JPG

With the size of the current magazine, you could fit four of those in one of the older issues. I still remember when the Year-Ender was around 300 pages.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-24-2011, 08:00 AM
There's a writer who talks with comic shops about what's going on in the front lines, who I talk to, but rarely have time to go indepth enough to have anything printed and he just broke the news to me minutes ago.

Apparently no one is answering the phones at Wizard, that's how real this is.

I was just saying today that Comic Shop News is the second only to the internet as being a fast source of comics info.

Can CBG be next?

If only Comics Foundry had decided not to opt out.

Wizard magazine was a big part of exposing me to the wider world of comics back in the early days. I think I'd bought it in when it was in the double digits. Things beyond Spider-man comics. It was an important magazine for various reasons at one point. For a very long time actually. But when it sidestepped evolving into the next step of its core purpose to become a Men's/ Entertainment magazine, well that was the end. That coupled with the internet getting into the comics news game and Wizard's exclusives news releases seeming to dry up. Less and less price guide in favor of being in league with CGC, raising the price while lowering the page count, thin content that you can't peruse because of the sealed bag. I remember an issue lasy year, one of the last I looked at, which had a countdown. Every article was numbered countdown down. To what? Counting down to the number 1 and whatever random article happened to be attached to it. That boggled my mind completely.

A print magazine just can't compete with the breaking news of the internet. So what could it do? Back Issue has some pretty fantastic articles that are not time-sensitive but can tie into new material on the shelves. A price guide that focused on eclectic things like out of print trades. Did followups to pieces that were initially online like the Heavy Ink deal. Just throwing ideas out there. Print is difficult, but I believe something can be done that the comics industry would embrace.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 08:00 AM

I got a pile like that in my parents basement, issues 1-maybe 140 I think. A few months before they changed to magazine format.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 08:05 AM
I remember one of my biggest mind boggling moments with Wizard: At the height of my Kevin Smith fanboyism, Wizard published a Kevin Smith special, and the highlight was a brand new in depth interview with Kevin. So, I bought the magazine, and was dismayed to find a notice at the end of the interview: "TO READ THE COMPLETE INTERVIEW, VISIT OUR WEBSITE", where a longer version was available FOR FREE. Why the fuck did I buy a magazine where the one piece of content I wanted was available in a better form for free?

Of course, they did have room for a four page article on "THE BEST QUOTES FROM KEVIN'S MOVIES".

Chacalo
01-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Listening to the Cocaine song as I read this.

Shame, but expected. I'd stopped buying it a while ago but it was a good read for a while for someone who was getting into comics.

Evan the Shaggy
01-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Listening to the Cocaine song as I read this.

....Wha?

Kevin T Brown
01-24-2011, 08:07 AM

You know what I call that?

KINDLING.

:D

Cth
01-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Apparently no one is answering the phones at Wizard, that's how real this is.

From the article:

"[..] has closed, effective immediately."

Hard to answer phones when all the staff has been dismissed.

Ryudo
01-24-2011, 08:08 AM

I have a stack like that too.

Chacalo
01-24-2011, 08:09 AM
....Wha?

Well, I was.

Gangy
01-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Back in the early-to-mid nineties this magazine was everything to me. It was a huge part of collecting comics. Probably time for it to go, but I'll always miss the glory days.

Chacalo
01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
I have a stack like that too.

So do I. One of these days I'll drive out to the desert and have a burnin'.

A.Huerta
01-24-2011, 08:15 AM
....Wha?

I think its a Wu-tang song.

Ryudo
01-24-2011, 08:16 AM
So do I. One of these days I'll drive out to the desert and have a burnin'.

I may, right after I tear out all the good articles.

NickT
01-24-2011, 08:17 AM
In the US Wizard Magazine is trending on Twitter. They got people talking about the magazine at least :)

Fake Pat
01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
I can't believe it took this long.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-24-2011, 08:19 AM

A very special issue of Hero Magazine had a giant piece on Legion of Super-heroes including a timeline of events that got me into those comics. When I saw everything laid out, how many characters died, that they fought Darkseid, I had to get into it. This perfect timing too as the End of an Era story was not long finished and Zero Hour was up next.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
From the article:

"[..] has closed, effective immediately."

Hard to answer phones when all the staff has been dismissed.

That wasn't from me, it was what the staff writer I was talking to told me. He was trying to get answers and no one was answering the phones. He just got an email this morning and I don't think he'd seen any of the articles when were were talking this morning. I feel bad for him to find out under these circumstances, but I think he will end up being ok.

that bastard
01-24-2011, 08:25 AM
I read WIZARD from about 91, 92-ish until about maybe five years ago or something. I used it as, pretty much, a source for what was going on in comics that I couldn't afford to read or wasn't interested in reading on a regular basis.

It got me into ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN (which I read for years until dropping it around the time Moon Knight came in...The WARRIORS arc, was it?) and the DAREDEVIL 'reboot' under Smith/Bendis. But, at the same time, it also convinced me of how childish and pathetic fanboyism can be and the dangers of "Payola".

I ignored all the VALIANT hype as none of the comics ever appealed to me, but I could see how people could be sucked into thinking they were "investing". The entire speculator boom was nourished by WIZARD and that was one of the WORST times for comics, hands down.

Congrats on as long a haul as you had. Beat out HERO magazine (which I liked better) and beat out SUBMEDIA (which only had one, albeit AWESOME issue). But sometimes it's time to throw in the towel.

A.Huerta
01-24-2011, 08:28 AM
The thing that always annoyed me and should've disappeared a long time ago, was the price guide section. I hated that section. People should be buying comics for the entertainment, not based on how much they're worth.

that bastard
01-24-2011, 08:29 AM
The thing that always annoyed me and should've disappeared a long time ago, was the price guide section. I hated that section. People should be buying comics for the entertainment, not based on how much they're worth.

What REALLY sucked was that NONE of the comics I read were ever IN the price guide. It was so fanboy-focused it made me nuts.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 08:33 AM
This whole fiasco has given me an idea...

http://606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=203016

Gene Reginato
01-24-2011, 08:36 AM
I loved the magazine, as well. I stopped buying when I realized there were very few news anymore, because of the internet.

Had they kept doing the special articles (Drawing board, for instance) I would still be buying it.

Caley Tibbittz
01-24-2011, 08:45 AM

With rape dollars!

DaveCummings
01-24-2011, 08:46 AM
I miss the drawing section, especially the ones done by Greg Capullo or Art Adams. I haven't read the magazine in a couple of years. I picked up an issue a month or so ago and realized that wasn't missing much.

Andrew
01-24-2011, 08:50 AM
They still make Wizard Magazine??

Not anymore.

Exactly, which is why I never bought the argument that "we don't know how many comic fans don't read comic book news sites! There could be a ton of them!"

No, there aren't.

Interesting.

Chacalo
01-24-2011, 08:51 AM
I may, right after I tear out all the good articles.

Also the Quantum and Woody comic.

With rape dollars!

:lol:

NickT
01-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Wizard Magazine comes back (sortof) - http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/01/breaking-wizard-magazine-folds-after-two-decades/

Buk Was Right
01-24-2011, 08:55 AM

Like when EGM went under and they filled the back end of people's subscriptions with Maxim.

Fake Pat
01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Wizard Magazine comes back (sortof) - http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/01/breaking-wizard-magazine-folds-after-two-decades/

Gareb Shamus really doesn't get it, huh?

Foolish Mortal
01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Wizard World Inc. Goes Public (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/24/wizard-world-inc-goes-public/)

New York, NY (January 24, 2011) – Gareb Shamus, recently appointed President and CEO of public company Wizard World, Inc. (“Wizard World”) (OTC: GOEE.PK), today announced that the Comic Con Tour, which consists of pop culture conference events that provide high visibility marketing opportunities to pop culture brands and companies in multiple venues throughout the year, is now being produced by public company Wizard World. The Wizard World Comic Con Tour intends to cover 12 cities in 2011, including major cities such as New York City, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Austin and New Orleans. The Tour will include sponsors ranging from major movie studios and TV networks to gaming and toy companies to content publishers.

In addition, Wizard World plans to launch in February 2011 an all-new digital magazine called ‘Wizard World’ that will appeal to pop-culture fans, the same audience to which Mr. Shamus has catered to, for over 20 years. Wizard World digital magazine will provide coverage of the world of comic books, toys and superheroes, and the personalities behind them.

“This is a very exciting day for Wizard World and the industries it serves,” said Shamus. “Having the Tour produced by a public company provides additional opportunities to expand and grow the Tour. The new digital magazine Wizard World will give consumers the content they want in a magazine format with which they are familiar, but distributed in a form that is always available at any time on any device. It is a natural evolution for us in this market.”

Wizard World Comic Con will begin its North American tour at New Orleans Comic Con held from January 29 to 30, 2011. The full event schedule can be found at www.wizardworld.com.

Andrew
01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Like when EGM went under and they filled the back end of people's subscriptions with Maxim.

Imagine being a 9-year-old kid who'd had an EGM subscription that was transferred to Maxim. Awesome. :lol:

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Imagine being a 9-year-old kid who'd had an EGM subscription that was transferred to Maxim. Awesome. :lol:

And that was the day he became a man.

TheNatureRoy
01-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah, and EGM always had offers for free subscriptions online that you could easily find if you visited NeoGAF or wherever. So I had about five years worth of free EGM subscriptions that has been converted to Maxim, which is kind of embarrassing.

Artie Pink
01-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Wizard has been taking advantage of comic books for decades, building an empire on encouraging speculation and just waiting to be in position when other media really moved in on the characters and properties. And now that the time is here, they go out of business. Couldn't happen to a better company.

Andrew
01-24-2011, 09:05 AM
And that was the day he became a man.

:lol:

Yeah, and EGM always had offers for free subscriptions online that you could easily find if you visited NeoGAF or wherever. So I had about five years worth of free EGM subscriptions that has been converted to Maxim, which is kind of embarrassing.

Ouch.

BGPu
01-24-2011, 09:05 AM
I used to have a pile of Wizards like in that photo. When I moved I didn't have room for them so I dumped them in one of those recycling bins in the local church parking lot.

I read it from '92 to 2006 or so. But at the end I couldn't find the time to read through yet another set report from the new Spider-Man/X-Men/Batman movie every month.

JJ Fresh
01-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Wizard had a few good articles that really made the magazine worth while (in the years that I did read it), but then it became a big pandering fest to mainstream releases and the latest comic movie blockbusters. Sadly, they tried to appeal to that crowd filing the cineplex and it diluted the whole product.

Of course it didn't help them that a good chunk of the magazine had terrible low-brow humor. Booooooobbbsss! Uh, no thanks.

If they put out more creator profile articles (I recall two excellent ones concerning Bill Finger and Jim Steranko personally) and focused strictly on their core audience (comic fans of all kinds) it might've been a worthwhile product. But whatever, could care less.

Buk Was Right
01-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Embarrassing? Or SEXY?

Mister Mets
01-24-2011, 09:14 AM
I loved it when I was a kid, but I have to agree that at one point it became a shell of what it's used to be. It became a bit better recently, but that just wasn't good enough.

They did have competition: the internet. Let's face it, print as a source of up-to-the-minute news and reaction is dead. But, print as a place for actual in depth reporting and commentary is still viable. Yeah. It's kinda messed up that Wizard used to have that in the past, and then dropped it just as it became necessary to merit paying five bucks an issue for it.

Albert
01-24-2011, 09:26 AM
ToyFare is ending too: http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/01/24/rumor-is-wizard-magazine-dead/

UltimateFactor
01-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Well looks like they aren't as dead as we first thought. They just shed their physical form. :rofl:

King of Mars
01-24-2011, 09:28 AM

I don't understand why this would be an issue for anyone.

Jef UK
01-24-2011, 09:29 AM

That's such a good idea! Comic book news....on the internet. By Job, I think Shamus has got something here!!

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Wizard has been taking advantage of comic books for decades, building an empire on encouraging speculation and just waiting to be in position when other media really moved in on the characters and properties. And now that the time is here, they go out of business. Couldn't happen to a better company.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I do think that if you were a teenager who was discovering comics Wizard was a good thing for you to experience. Granted the magazine has been that three or four times over, but I don't think I can sign off on saying that it only ever exploited fans. Maybe that's just me...

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-24-2011, 09:31 AM
That's such a good idea! Comic book news....on the internet. By Job, I think Shamus has got something here!!

I don't think this is going to work out like they plan at all. And they may never know why.

Chacalo
01-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Well looks like they aren't as dead as we first thought. They just shed their physical form. :rofl:

Like Onslaught.

Mark4myself
01-24-2011, 09:36 AM
When I first began collecting comics Wizard Magazine was there and it is a huge part of my memories of those early collecting days. The first issue I picked up was either #8 or #11. I have not missed one since. I was there for the glory days and am now there for the slow bitter end. I have detested the majority of changes in recent years (issue size both physical and page, reduced price guide, countdown feature) and wished they would have become what they could have been. Instead of worrying about breaking news they could have shifted to more indepth articles and interviews. Report on comics instead of shilling for comics. I wanted objective critiques of trades and comic runs not PR pieces. I kept buying it partly out of habit and partly out of the hopes someone would start to steer the ship where I felt it should go and where I felt it would find its niche. Instead it devolved instead of evolving. I'm not happy to see it coming to an end but the way it had been going, this was inevitable and is a mercy killing in a way. I still hope something fills that void where I can get access to rich articles on comic book history, analysis of comic runs, price guides (comics and TPBs), etc etc. I know there is a lot of internet hate towards Wizard and some of it is well placed, but it was an entry way for many of us into Comic Book Culture and in its run has had a number of articles which I still leaf back through to this very day. It did represent the worst of Comics during its time (the '90's fervor and speculation craze) but it also illuminated the best of comics as well (turned me on to many creators pre-internet, as well as great articles on past creators and history I would not have known otherwise). I for one am going to miss Wizard Magazine, not entirely for what it is now, but for what it once was and what it still could have become.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I also had a big stack of wizards like in the picture, except much bigger, in my closet for years. I ended up throwing most of them away last summer.

the last ronin
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
What I miss are the drawing workshop articles, those were great. My favorite article to this day from them was the one on Bill Finger and how he got completely fucked by DC and Bob Kane.
Besides that Shamus and his family manipulated the market almost to death. Most people were unaware that they owned comic shops and used the magazine to build hype so they (and others) could make a killing off a lot of us. I know of a number of shops that died in the 90's because of the crash that is largely due to Wizard. Their price guide was shit, and so was their adolescent level humor. At a time when you should have been encouraging new female readership in comics they encouraged tits and dick jokes.
One of the highlights of my San Diego 2005 trip was telling Gareb what an asshole he was in front of half of DC.
What a classy guy to let the fucking internet tell his writers that they're fired.
Fuck Shamus and fuck Wizard.
Hopefully Bleeding Cool can pick up some of the decent writers.

King of Mars
01-24-2011, 09:47 AM
One of the highlights of my San Diego 2005 trip was telling Gareb what an asshole he was in front of half of DC.That's pretty nutty behavior.

Fake Pat
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
That's pretty nutty behavior.

Um, yeah.

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
At Wizard World Philly 2003, I was talking to Jim Steranko, and as Gareb Shamus wandered over to Jim's table to talk to him, Jim muttered to me "Here comes Satan himself..."

I'll never forget that wonderful moment.

Thudpucker
01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
One of the highlights of my San Diego 2005 trip was telling Gareb what an asshole he was in front of half of DC.

Did you also kick sand in his face? Flex your muscles and try to pick up his girlfriend?

chazbot
01-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I stopped reading Wizard after they edited down a letter of mine to them that cut out the actual point of the letter so they could have a witty/smart reply to it in their mailbag page. I'm guessing that was late '99 or early '00. So long and thanks for all the inflate comic values.

the last ronin
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Did you also kick sand in his face? Flex your muscles and try to pick up his girlfriend?
It was awesome, I had this whole "King of the Con" aura.

Ryudo
01-24-2011, 10:15 AM
He's trying NOW to launch a news site?

His site used to have news (and really good interviews, some by Bendis)... but he kinda screwed the pooch on that one.

HeroBoy
01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Now what will Bart Sears draw varients for?

MayorMitch100
01-24-2011, 11:08 AM
This magazine was still coming out?

majorjoe23
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Wizard... So long and thanks...

You're welcome

chris_ycrtft
01-24-2011, 11:36 AM
this would explain why they never sent me those ad specs. ah well.

Supreme Convoy
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I use to really love Wizard as a kid. There are some stand out recent articles I love like the one about Adam West's life at the height of Batmania and the one about Jim Steranko, which was eye opening. I still look through their Top 100 Paperbacks you must own for books I've never read. And I discovered a lot of personal favorites through them like Box Office Poison and Y: The Last Man.

But yes, the internet certainly led to its demise with instant news. Instead of Wizard concentrating on creating great content about comics, they seemed to write about everything but comics.

They shall be missed.

chazbot
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
You're welcome

Exactly!

Chad
01-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I was never a huge fan of Wizard, but what bums me out about their demise, as well as the move to Web ahead of print in general, is that comics seems to lose a bit of its history every time one of these websites goes down, goes out of business or gets bought out.

And sure, a lot of what goes away is inconsequential, but we also lose some good stuff, too, whereas before, when print was the main vehicle for news, there was a permanent record.

Ben
01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I was never a huge fan of Wizard, but what bums me out about their demise, as well as the move to Web ahead of print in general, is that comics seems to lose a bit of its history every time one of these websites goes down, goes out of business or gets bought out.

And sure, a lot of what goes away is inconsequential, but we also lose some good stuff, too, whereas before, when print was the main vehicle for news, there was a permanent record.
http://www.archive.org

ernster
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
the only connection i have to wizard was spotting that whenever somebody didn't sign an email to them, their name was changed to karl hungus. he offered a no-prize but i indicated that for a no prize to be valid i would have to offer a good reason for a mistake made.

DaveCummings
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
iFanboy had an interview with an editor at Wizard about how everything went down, it sounds ugly as hell.

Here's the interview http://www.ifanboy.com/content/articles/EXCLUSIVE__Former_Wizard_Employee_Speaks

I am curious if it's true that the reason why Marvel stopped participating with Wizard was due to Wizard screwing them over with their "Wizard Masterpiece" collections reprinting marvel books and not paying Marvel at all.

Supreme Convoy
01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
I am curious if it's true that the reason why Marvel stopped participating with Wizard was due to Wizard screwing them over with their "Wizard Masterpiece" collections reprinting marvel books and not paying Marvel at all.

Interesting, I didn't notice a lack of Marvel participation in the magazine when I randomly check them out now and then.

DaveCummings
01-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Interesting, I didn't notice a lack of Marvel participation in the magazine when I randomly check them out now and then.

Well, they seemed to have had a drop of "exclusive" news when it came to Marvel.

Chad
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.archive.org

Yeah, yeah, I know. But they don't capture everything. Try to find Newsarama's interview with Quesada in the wake of the hullabaloo following his infamous profile in the New York Observer. Or a million other things from Comicon.com's early days. Or articles from ComicsReporter from before that one time when its servers went down. And on and on ...

Ben Weldon
01-24-2011, 12:18 PM
If Toy Fair ends too where will i go for jokes about how literally every woman in the world is a massive slut!?

SteveFlack
01-24-2011, 12:21 PM
If Toy Fair ends too where will i go for jokes about how literally every woman in the world is a massive slut!?

Mark Millar comics?

A.Huerta
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't understand why this would be an issue for anyone.

The 90s are over and It was a waste or paper and ink. There could've been tutorials, artist/writer bios and interviews, more in-depth articles on more pop culture like manga and comics in other countries, but no. Every month we kept getting info on how Spawn#1 or whatever else was worth 15 bucks.

I'm glad its gone.

Andrew
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
The 90s are over and It was a waste or paper and ink. There could've been tutorials, artist/writer bios and interviews, more in-depth articles on more pop culture like manga and comics in other countries, but no. Every month we kept getting info on how Spawn#1 or whatever else was worth 15 bucks.

I'm glad its gone.

I will never forget being in grade school and hearing some kid in my class rant and rave about how his mint condition copy of Spawn #1 was worth $1000.

Albert
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I haven't picked up a Wizard in a while, but it looks like they were still running some worthwhile articles up until the end, including this one about Wally Wood: http://heroinitiative.blogspot.com/2010/06/tragic-genius-wally-wood.html

Spidey616
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm gonna miss Toyfare. Gave us Twisted Toy Theater

:surrend:

Barry Hollifield
01-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I just started reading comics again after being away for awhile,and picked up last months Wizard to just see how they had changed. I was surprised to see that there was hardly anything dedicated to comics but a few pages,and it was smaller too. I went back and looked at a Wizard issue I had...I think it was in 1993,and it was full of nothing but comics info.Why did they change their format.No wonder they went under.A comics magazine and hardly anything about comics???

Fake Pat
01-24-2011, 04:00 PM
I just started reading comics again after being away for awhile,and picked up last months Wizard to just see how they had changed. I was surprised to see that there was hardly anything dedicated to comics but a few pages,and it was smaller too. I went back and looked at a Wizard issue I had...I think it was in 1993,and it was full of nothing but comics info.Why did they change their format.No wonder they went under.A comics magazine and hardly anything about comics???

Because most people don't care about comics, and there's little to no reason to think there's enough that do to support a magazine.

SeanC
01-24-2011, 04:03 PM
It's a shame, but I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone. Wizard was once something 'great' and then it just started to come apart in the last couple of years (maybe more).

The greatest things that Wizard ever did were their articles, mostly by Jim Mclaughlin. They were utterly fantastic, well-written, informative, and very humanizing. There was one on Paul Jenkins, Steve Ditko, Wally Wood, Robert E. Howard, etc. They were nothing less than fine journalism. Those are what I will miss, not much else.

RebootedCorpse
01-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Wizard was a plague. Die.

Liquid
01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Wizard used to be a great magazine. It used to have amazing in-depth and original content, great lists (top 100 single issue stories, etc...), crazy exclusive news, and even turned me on to comics like Mike Allred's Madman and Moore's Swamp Thing in some column about more mature titles they used to have.

But I stopped buying it when it promoted a Grant Morrison interview for months, which turned out to be copy and pasted quotes FROM A PREVIOUS ISSUE OF WIZARD! Of course there was also the fact that it went from being a comic magazine to being a boring movie magazine.

rbg29
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Glad I got my mom to get me a subscription to Artist Magazine for X-mas and not a sub to Wizard. Loved Wizard when it came out while I was in high school. Geeked out when Wizard published my photo in their Halloween '94 ish. Hell my art teacher keep a photocopy of it on the wall for years. Had issues 7-130 something. Stopped for a few years but my parents started getting me a subscription for x-mas for the past few years. Each issue was hit or miss but made great bathroom reading. I'll miss Wizard until my Artist magazine subscription starts :)

Ryudo
01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm gonna miss Toyfare. Gave us Twisted Toy Theater

:surrend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_chicken :p

The greatest things that Wizard ever did were their articles, mostly by Jim Mclaughlin. They were utterly fantastic, well-written, informative, and very humanizing. There was one on Paul Jenkins, Steve Ditko, Wally Wood, Robert E. Howard, etc. They were nothing less than fine journalism. Those are what I will miss, not much else.
Yup. Once they let Jim McLauchlin spread his wings outside of Magic Words, he wrote some of my absolute favorite articles based on comic-y stuff. He did all the Michael Turner stuff about his cancer (RIP), and brought out the bravery and devotion that Mr. Turner had for his fans. And of course his Magic Words was pretty much my favorite.

kylethoreau
01-24-2011, 05:17 PM
it brought attention to some really great titles.....when it found the found the time to take DC' and Marvel's dick out of it's ass.

this is about 10 years too late- best they end it now and go online where they might be able to compete.

Fake Pat
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
it brought attention to some really great titles.....when it found the found the time to take DC' and Marvel's dick out of it's ass.

this is about 10 years too late- best they end it now and go online where they might be able to compete.

I highly, highly doubt that's gonna work out for them.

The internet already has mainstream comic coverage pretty well in hand.

AndrewG
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
A staffer speaks out

http://www.ifanboy.com/content/artic...mployee_Speaks

Pretty shitty

iFanboy: Tell us what happened today at Wizard.
Former Wizard Employee: Actually its pretty screwed up what they did. They gave everyone off on Friday (very strange) then last night at 6:30 PM (right before kickoff [of the Jets/Steelers playoff game]) they called me and told me the magazines were no longer in publication. I was asked to go get my personal belongings and they told me the office was closed and moved to a different location and they would let us know when it was okay to get them. When I asked about severance or unemployment they shrugged me off and quickly dismissed me. So, I still have no idea what is happening in those regards.

iF: Did the Wizard Magazine employees know this was coming or was it a surprise?
FWE: A few people were told what was going on. This was pure favoritism by the staff. Things seemed very shady and obviously they did not want us taking home our things for some reason.

iF: Were you, or anyone you're aware of, briefed on the changes and given the opportunity to move over to the upcoming digital magazine?
FWE: No. I was not asked to be moved. A friend of mine on the edit side was simply told "This is what you're doing now." No one was given the option. Not even people who were kept on.

iF: What was the state of Wizard in recent years? What sense of the magazine's performance did you have?
FWE: The magazine was in complete disarray. I had not been there long before I realized that no one knew what they were doing. All the senior staff were promoted simply because everyone above them was fired. They had no working relationships with any of the major publishers. They had not covered Marvel for a number of years because (again, very shady) they re-published a few Marvel books in a "masterpiece" type collection. When Marvel asked them about they simply refused the calls and never paid them a cent. Once I heard this I realized that these people did not give a shit about anyone or anything. I was never given any numbers on how the magazine was doing but I am sure they have been consistent in the sales as they are a very niche magazine.

iF: What was Wizard's online strategy, if you knew of it, while you were employed there?
FWE: It is really funny that you ask about the online strategy; as far as I knew, there was none. A few weeks ago, I heard some talk of having our magazine published on the iPad through Comixology. Having had some experience with digital publishing, I suggested to the editorial director and most senior member of the editorial staff that pages might need to be re-thought to fit the format. He seemed very confused as to what that even meant as far as workflow, etc. I later heard that the iPad idea was dead. About a week later, we needed to take our editorial blog piemonkey.com offline for a few days because Gareb was supposedly severing his ties with his old web project, GeekChicDaily. Thats all I know of the web strategy. Most importantly, I think, is that our ad sales department was not doing well. No one wanted to buy ads and it seemed they were failing miserably. This is probably the number one reason for the switch.

iF: Do you think their new venture that was announced earlier today will succeed? Why or why not?
FWE: Honestly, I know it will fail. First off, there is no leadership. The people that are still on staff have no digital publishing experience or seem to want to be there. As more money goes into the conventions, the less the owners care about the magazine side. They plan on publicly trading and launching this app for free with no real advertising. I think anyone who does a little research before purchasing stock will find just how screwed that place is.

Petey Parker
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I was wondering why I haven't received any issues in months. I got the 1 year subscription included with my ticket from the last Wizard World. I received 3 issues with the last being around August. I thought because I moved something got screwed up in the mail, but I checked with my friend and he didn't receive them either. My dad's friend's comic store had all these issues on the wall that I never even received. Are we just SOL on our paid subscription?

JamesV
01-24-2011, 05:45 PM
I used to enjoy the special issues they did in the mid/late 90s. Like I remember when Superman died, they had a superman special issue that was full of interviews with creators and articles about the history of the character, etc.

And I remember really liking the ones that had who's who's or handbook type information in them in addition to those types of articles and interviews.. Like the Wolverine Special for instance.

A.Huerta
01-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Because most people don't care about comics, and there's little to no reason to think there's enough that do to support a magazine.

We've had this conversation about Wizard before, but if it had written tutorials/how to's for artists, writers, concept artists, all comics/manga in the world, video games, movies, contests, toys and tv, it could've easily survived.

Fake Pat
01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
We've had this conversation about Wizard before, but if it had written tutorials/how to's for artists, writers, concept artists, all comics/manga in the world, video games, movies, contests, toys and tv, it could've easily survived.

Plenty of magazines featuring those things are currently dead or dying.

A.Huerta
01-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Plenty of magazines featuring those things are currently dead or dying.

Really? Which magazine is that because I'll subscribe to it right now.

There's a ton of magazines out there that focus on one or two subjects. I'm talking about taking everything that nerds/creators/up and comers like, and putting it in one magazine.

Matt Jay
01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Too bad. It got me back into comics in 2003 by introducing me to the Ultimate line.

Roger
01-24-2011, 06:46 PM

There's a ton of magazines out there that focus on one or two subjects. I'm talking about taking everything that nerds/creators/up and comers like, and putting it in one magazine.

"backissue" is the best comic book magazine out today!

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=98_54

AndrewG
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Wizard's Price Guide Editor shares his thoughts.

from bleedingcool.com

To say that this has been a difficult day would be to put it mildly. It started with my daughter waking up in the wee hours of morning to grab a snack when she should have been sleeping, so I had to go in her room, grab some yogurt containers, and shut her light off. A couple of hours later, I needed to wake her up to get moving for school, which was an extremely difficult process, then in getting her heading towards the shower she turned uglier and attempted to hit me a few times. Eventually, she would get in the shower, get clothes on, and run out the door for the school bus without making it wait too long for her.

From there, it was time to sit down and work on finishing the price guide for issue #236.

One hour into that, I received a note via Facebook informing me, unfortunately, that this was not necessary, and that the only reason for contacting me through Facebook is that it was the only electronic means available for my former editor to do so.

Unlike the rest of the staff in the masthead, I never worked out of the New York office, mercifully. I had already interviewed for the position of price guide editor and Market Watch writer two years before I accepted it, as New York and I were not a good fit. The second time around, it was offered to me on a freelance basis; for them, they would not need to pay me benefits as such, and for me, it made more sense financially since the move to New York would have cost far more than the benefits that Wizard could have delivered. I also had a day job at the time, working for Verizon, which gave me extremely generous benefits, so having that there made working for Wizard far easier.

This was my first freelance writing position in comics, after writing for years in sports, both on my own and, at various times, for Sporting News and FOX Sports. However, working in the comic industry had always been my dream, going back to when I first started working at a comic book store in 1988 at the age of 13. I would later go on to be assistant manager of the shop, and then open its successor when it shut down in 1993, when I was 18. Comics have always been a part of my life, and working in such a capacity was a dream come true.

This position also was a godsend when it came time to take a leave of absence from work when my partner and I were getting ready to welcome our daughter into our home. See, she is not our biological daughter, but a foster child we are working to adopt, providing the state of Vermont does the right thing by her in court. She had an extremely traumatic past, with severe neglect and abuse, and she has significant behavioral challenges and developmental delays. That Wizard paycheck I would get from every issue allowed me to pay for her lessons at Sylvan Learning Center, her piano and vocal lessons (the piano is to help her learn patience as well as to work on her fine motor skills, which are significantly behind, and the vocal is more about helping her with her speech difficulties rather than making her the next Susan Boyle), and a little extra to take her out to dinner a couple of times without worry.

This morning, I lost that – and people in message boards are celebrating that.

What I find so amusing about the posts here and on other sites is that the same people that ridiculed Alan Moore for his absurd criticisms of comics today, only to admit that he does not read any, is that those criticizing also proudly proclaim that they stopped reading ages ago. If they actually had read, they would know how absurd so many of their criticisms were.

There is of course the knocks about Wizard being filled with boob jokes and homophobic cracks, which I rarely if ever saw in my two years in the magazine, and certainly not from me – after all, I did say “partner” above, for those of you playing along at home.

More importantly, though, are the criticisms about what the magazine did or did not cover. During my time on the magazine, I did everything possible to bring about a level of diversity, both in talent and in material, than had been there in any time before me. A simple look at some of the names that popped up in top ten writer and artist lists would show that – Gail Simone moved into the top ten writers for the first time, along with names like Christopher Yost, Greg Rucka, James Robinson, and Dan Slott, to name a few of the writers that never saw the list before, and the artists that made their first appearance in the top ten is far larger: Francis Manapul, Sean Philips, Skottie Young, Doug Mahnke, Terry Dodson, J.H. Williams III, Guillem March, Steve Epting, Amanda Conner. Anyone that says that those artists were like the ones traditionally featured in the magazine are either lying or willfully ignorant.

That is just a few of the artists too, and that does not include the top ten of the decade, which featured Mark Bagley, a name that never made the top ten, ever, at No. 2 – and that was after editorial moved him from the top spot. Was he ever one of the hot, trendy names? No, but he defined Spider-Man for a generation, sold more books than any other artist, and was due for some respect.

This also does not include any of the rising talents that first received a push in the Five on the Rise section that I ran for a while in the guide.

Then there are the features I wrote, such as the one on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, a feature I fought for, going against the traditional scorn for all-ages books. Instead of scorn, this is a series, and its sequels, deserving of as much attention as possible, and I showered it on them, and the creators, wherever possible. There was also some love sent towards Terry Moore in another feature from me, talking about his work on Echo.

Then there was the scrapping of the traditional top ten hot books or top ten artist and writer lists later in my tenure for lists inspired by the creators themselves, such as Fred Hembeck’s top ten humor creators of all time, Larry Marder’s top ten indie creators list, Gail Simone’s artist wish list, the ten Bat-artists that inspired David Finch, the top ten most historically significant comics by comic historian Peter Sanderson, the five female talents to watch for by Gail Simone (or as she called it, “Wizard’s She-Beasts of Greatness: Five on the Rise (with Uteruses)”), Mark McKenna’s top ten inkers, and many more.

In other words, I did everything possible to promote new names, under-appreciated talents, and books that Wizard traditionally did not cover. I also did not shy away from criticizing books either, as my sections routinely featured negative critiques. One major writer complained to the Powers that Be at Wizard about my criticisms, and about his no longer being in the top ten. He continued to stay out of the list.

Maybe you never noticed the change in tone, but others did – after not doing any form of interview with the magazine in 224 issues and countless specials, Paul Levitz sat down with me for almost an hour to talk about the Legion of Super-Heroes, and the magazine ended up running a six-page spread on the Levitz Era of Legion, something that would have never happened in the past, both in regards to the subjects the magazine covered as well as the subject interviewed.

I am so glad that everyone is enjoying my, and many others’, misfortune, but having a legitimate gripe would go a long way, folks.

For those looking for more from me, I had my own site before writing for Wizard, CrucialTaunt.com, which unfortunately I let slide while working for the magazine, along with all the extra meetings and appointments my daughter needed and with graduate school work (currently, I am working on my Masters in Psychology, with my goal being to work with underprivileged children with special needs), but with one door closing it opens another door. A few pieces that never found their way into Wizard, for obvious reasons, are either on the site now or going up there over the next few days. Along with comic talk, there is also sports talk over at CT, and there is also a politics section, as I was a political science major at UVM, and my love of politics is a guilty pleasure. I hope that there is something that you can find over there that you enjoy, but if not, so be it.

c. page
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Virgil needs to get paid, motherfucker.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Splintrdmind/virgil-wrestling-superstar.jpg

I will say, 16 year-old me would have never known about books like Madman, Rare Bit Fiends and Concrete if it wasn't for early Wizard Magazine, back when they actually went out of their way to showcase that stuff with Palmer's Picks.

It did get me into a lot more books in the mid 90s that I might not have heard of, and I remember in general being amused by it as a teenager.

AndrewG
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM

Yes it is.

Fake Pat
01-24-2011, 07:01 PM

There's simply no point to it.

There's nothing you can do along those lines that the internet isn't covering faster and usually better. This is especially problematic when you're trying to market to nerds.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Whenever I talk to someone about getting back into comics, Wizard just isn't anything that enters the conversation. Free Comic Shop News, Marvel's free saga books that catch people up to speed on characters like Spider-man or Wolverine. At risk of being elitist, when someone comes in and asks for Wizard, that is a non-verbal cue that they're really far out of the loop as it has not been a the resource it once was. Over the years I found myself having to tell people that their price guide "could not list everything due to limited page count" to "they normally list only the ongoing series and most popular series" to" they mainly list selected cgc graded books."

Someone, in their efforts to fix things that are not broken, decided that Wizard needed men's magazine treatment. Combine that with too much tv/ movie material, the same pieces that will can be found in Toyfare, and what essentially boils down to solicitations at best and ads at worse (as opposed to real articles discovering, uncovering, or promoting things) and seal it in a bag so you don't know what you're about to get and you have a recipe for disinterest.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-24-2011, 07:15 PM

When the subject matter is something I am interested in, Back Issue is great. I mean you have to either be open to learning comics history or have an appreciation for what they are talking about or who they are talking to I guess.

A.Huerta
01-24-2011, 07:43 PM

Looks like its only about Marvel/DC and comic culture. Not exactly what im talking about.

morlock with a day pass
01-25-2011, 05:48 AM
i'll miss toyfare greatly.

hamgravy
01-25-2011, 05:58 AM
My wife's cogent analysis of the news:

"Wait, it's called Wizard magazine? :rolleyes:"