PDA

View Full Version : Does the upcoming Batman movie need to have a love interest?

The Robot Lord of Tokyo
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
There is an article on Yahoo about how they are trying to find a high profile actress to be a love interest for "The Dark Knight Rises".

I guess my question is: Does he always have to have a love interest?

Every Batman movie has had a love story tied into it. But is it absolutely necessary? Committing one third of the movie to develop this kind of derails the potential for the story. The 90's Batman movies had no continuity because there was always a new female lead to introduce.
Nolan's Batman movies did actually have some continuity with his love interest (if not continuity with the actress portrayal) but it did feel kind of forced to me.
I know that part of the rational is that if you have a love interest then it gives Bruce something to do when he's not fighting crime. But is having a movie where this is more Batman truly a bad thing?

Would The Dark Knight Rises be a better movie without a love interest or is this something that many of you like to have in the movie?

sto110
01-13-2011, 02:05 PM
no it is not necessary but it is difficult to tell a compelling story without the love interest. Think of a high profile movie that made a lot of money that did not have some kind of love story in it.

Ryan Elliott
01-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

But it needs Catwoman.

Roman Noodles
01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Give Batman enough prep time and he can bypass the entire relationship and be halfway into the next one.

A.Huerta
01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Every superhero movie has a love interest.

Andrew
01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
They shouldn't need one, especially since Bruce Wayne's story is all about his increasing isolation from those around him.

But this is Hollywood, so they'll always force one.

sonnylarue
01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
If you wish to appeal to a mass audience, the answer is always yes.

silverboy
01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
No. In fact, I think it'd weaken the trilogy, considering Bats was pretty in love with Rachel in the first two.

ernster
01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
If you wish to appeal to a mass audience, the answer is always yes.

clarice starling never had a love interest in silence of the lambs, just some entomologists who wanted to take her out for hamburgers.

and don't say hannibal lector was the love interest.

don't say it...:no:

Ray G.
01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
It needs a female lead, I'd say.

I'd personally prefer a female villain or antihero who he has romantic tension with than a full-on love interest.

Garth
01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
They shouldn't need one, especially since Bruce Wayne's story is all about his increasing isolation from those around him.

But this is Hollywood, so they'll always force one.

No. In fact, I think it'd weaken the trilogy, considering Bats was pretty in love with Rachel in the first two.

I can't agree with both of these statements enough.

CapnChaos
01-13-2011, 02:48 PM
They definitely don't need a love interest to make a compelling film. Forcing one in is a huge mistake, as seen in the original Burton/Schumaker films.

However, if they really are bringing Talia into the story, then I have no problem with it, so long as it's written well.

ShortStack
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, movies on that scale require some form of love interest because yay hollywood tropes. But I want Selina or Talia, not a random other person.

Patch
01-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Yes.

Otherwise I get uncomfortable about my sexuality while watching Batman movies.

Ryan F
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I thought Nolan wasn't going to introduce a Robin.

Thudpucker
01-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I agree with the people who want the next love interest to be Selina.

Ryan Elliott
01-13-2011, 04:05 PM
I just wanted to take a moment to say fuck talia al ghul.

Andrew
01-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I thought Nolan wasn't going to introduce a Robin.

:lol:

:thumb:

James Patrick
01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
As a movie that's probably going to have a 300 million + budget following a billion dollar sequel, the answer is without a doubt yes. This is not a niche movie -- this is a movie that a studio has to view as their movie of that year. And despite what hardcore Batman fans who can list all eighteen chest symbols in alphabetical order of color scheme from inside out want, there are certain ingredients a studio lives by in situations like this. And without them, you wouldn't get your Nolan Batman.

And here's the other thing, they're right! No love interest shows fewer females. Fewer females means less money. It's a damn-near fact. Women don't want to go see movies that have male protagonists if there aren't love interests in them. All the way down to a subconcious level.

So if you want a Nolan Batman that doesn't all take place in a warehouse, yup.

Oh, and no Batman story needs a love interest. But a movie, yes.

costello
01-13-2011, 06:04 PM
No, but he needs a female Robin dressed up in a cheetah costume rolling on roller skates.

Chacalo
01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Throw some rich bimbos making scenes.

Then Silver St. Cloud.

UltimateQuintessa
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Talia Al Ghul tricking Bruce into falling in love with her then she burns his house down and breaks his heart.

TheTravis!
01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
I like that people are worried that the mushy kissing stuff is going to cut into the amount of time we can watch a guy in a leather S&M suit roll around with other guys.

Dark Sasha
01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I say talking Dog.

DaveCummings
01-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I like that people are worried that the mushy kissing stuff is going to cut into the amount of time we can watch a guy in a leather S&M suit roll around with other guys.

Very true. Because without a love interest, the only time cookie monster would be out of costume would be talking to Alfred or Lucius.

Hate_Prime
01-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I want to see romantic dialogue said with that throat cancer voice.

TheTravis!
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
I want to see romantic dialogue said with that throat cancer voice.

ROFL.

There's no way to say anything romantic in that voice and not make it sound like the prelude to prison rape.

The Human Target
01-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Its a conceit of action adventure movies (and hell books and comics and video games etc) that the hero needs a love interest.

But thats just dumb really.

And in terms of the Batman movies so far, a film where Batman is sad over Rachel Dawes and doesn't date would be way more interesting.

BAMF
01-14-2011, 12:28 AM
I just hope they kill 2 birds with 1 stone by making the love interest perform double duty as antagonist. Since that's all women are, anyway...heh. I really hope we get Catwoman or Talia in this flick.

Ryan Elliott
01-14-2011, 12:39 AM
I just hope they kill 2 birds with 1 stone by making the love interest perform double duty as antagonist. Since that's all women are, anyway...heh. I really hope we get Catwoman or Talia in this flick.

Catwoman, Catwoman, Catwoman.

It needs to be Catwoman.

All Talia would bring to the table is a revenge plot and more League of Shadows ninjas. Basically a rehash of the ending of Batman Begins. Not very exciting after Joker and Two-Face.

But Catwoman can bring so much more. Not just in the antagonist role, but in the love interest role as well.

And of course the iconicness of the character, and it really brings home the "freaks are taking over gotham" thing. Not to mention she's a lot more visually interesting than some brunette in a nightie.

Also there'd be so much inner conflict with Bruce in regards to Selina/Catwoman. She's a criminal in every sense of the word, but he actually has feelings for her. It would gray his black and white world in a similar but different way the Joker did.

It really, truly needs to be Catwoman.

Not to mention that we've yet to see a faithful rendition of catwoman after TWO movies.

SeanC
01-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Batman's only true love should be punching criminals in the face. He should return to his true love every night and be happy he found 'someone' so commited. :lol: