PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Terrible James Hudnall Cartoon? YES!

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 06:29 AM
I'm starting to look forward to these...they are the most tin-eared things I've ever read, and I dearly love them in the same way you can love a non-fatal car crash or horrible, horrible movie.

http://thehud.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/OBAMANATION61.jpg

Dear James,

Please play the "Where's Waldo"-style game I just invented. I call it, "Where's James Hudnall's Punchline?"

You do know what a punchline is, right?

And where it's supposed to go in an editorial cartoon?

Because I swear, if they exist, you hide them better than Osama B.L.!

More! More!

LOVE these terrible, terrible cartoons!

AndrewCrossett
12-21-2010, 06:35 AM
It's so adorable when conservatives try to be funny. Like watching a cat try to turn a doorknob.

Kevin T Brown
12-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Maybe the joke is that he has no clue what he's talking about...?

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 06:38 AM
I say again, there are lots of funny conservatives. Ethan Van Sciver is a scream, Mike Nelson from MST3k is conservative.

This seriously offends my sense of humor more than my liberal leanings.

They're just terribly, terribly written comics.

And I LOVE them.

Kevin T Brown
12-21-2010, 06:40 AM
I say again, there are lots of funny conservatives. Ethan Van Sciver is a scream, Mike Nelson from MST3k is conservative.

This seriously offends my sense of humor more than my liberal leanings.

They're just terribly, terribly written comics.

And I LOVE them.

Actually, Gail, Ethan comes across as more centrist than conservative a lot of the times. At least, as far as I've seen....

AndrewCrossett
12-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Mike Nelson from MST3k is conservative.

He is? Damn.

Well, I've never heard him make a political joke.

It's just that conservatism in America today is made entirely of hate, and I can't bring myself to laugh at hate.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 06:43 AM
He is? Damn.

It's just that conservatism in America today is made entirely of hate, and I can't bring myself to laugh at hate.

Mike said in an interview that he thinks Democrats are childish, and he's a Republican because he thinks they have a more adult viewpoint.

Keith P.
12-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Mike said in an interview that he thinks Democrats are childish, and he's a Republican because he thinks they have a more adult viewpoint.

Palin, Beck, Coulter, Limbaugh are some of the most petulant, immature, childish fucks I've ever seen.

AndrewCrossett
12-21-2010, 06:47 AM

Hatred is certainly more adult, yes.

Oh well. I guess MST3K is best left as a memory.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Palin, Beck, Coulter, Limbaugh are some of the most petulant, immature, childish fucks I've ever seen.

Yeah, but the entire punditocracy pretty much sucks. You can't judge an entire political movement purely based on its rancid cheerleaders.

I believe Nelson was speaking about Republican philosophy, but he didn't elaborate. In any case, he doesn't do much political humor.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Hatred is certainly more adult, yes.

Oh well. I guess MST3K is best left as a memory.

Is that really the case, you can't laugh at someone's non-political humor because of how they vote?

Keith P.
12-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Yeah, but the entire punditocracy pretty much sucks. You can't judge an entire political movement purely based on its rancid cheerleaders.

I believe Nelson was speaking about Republican philosophy, but he didn't elaborate. In any case, he doesn't do much political humor.

I think conservatives lean more toward Pragmatism and Liberals tend to be more Idealistic.

Unfortunately the conservative movement has spent the last 30 years hijacked and made a tool of the religous right, which has pushed conservatives from Pragmatism to Irrationalism since they are basing a lot of their agendas on a several thousand year old book written by semi-literate middle eastern sheep farmers.

AndrewCrossett
12-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Is that really the case, you can't laugh at someone's non-political humor because of how they vote?

No, because of how they act and how they talk. I consider modern American movement conservatism to be fundamentally and profoundly immoral, and I have a very hard time justifying giving my support to immoral people.

Among other things, I don't want my money going to people like Karl Rove and Sarah Palin through people like him.

And, someone who can make a statement like this:

"The devil was behind American Beauty. And Pulp Fiction was one of his better works, too."

has no business calling anyone else "childish."

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Wait, WHO said that quote?

And how do we know money is going to Sarah Palin when you watch MST3k? LOTS of conservatives loathe her, and most don't actually support her financially.

Am I missing something?

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Okay, Mike apparently did say that quote...I would have to see it in context, as to my ear, it sounds like MST3k-style silliness.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.

dasNdanger
12-21-2010, 07:17 AM
The cartoon makes no sense. Even I'M funnier than that...which isn't sayin' much.

das

AndrewCrossett
12-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Wait, WHO said that quote?

And how do we know money is going to Sarah Palin when you watch MST3k? LOTS of conservatives loathe her, and most don't actually support her financially.

Am I missing something?

What I've read about Nelson in the last hour or so tells me that he is an active, engaged, outspoken member of the religious far-right. I have very little doubt he contributes to people like her, and Rove.

I don't have a problem with people who espouse basic conservative principles, but who still rank human lives as more important than money, and who still maintain a basic human decency and regard for those outside the xenophobic tribe that the Republican Party has become.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Das, your REFRIGERATOR is funnier than that. It's a black hole of humor.

Good drawing, once again, though.

And here's something Mike Nelson said:

I’d call my politics center/right, and since politics intersects one’s whole philosophy of life, it’s hard to pin down a when. Whatever the case, I try very hard to keep politics out of my work and not to be too public with my thoughts because it’s just not my area of expertise. I write funny stuff. [I’m] not so good with politics. Maybe someday I’ll write on it, but as of now, the world is safe.

dasNdanger
12-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Das, your REFRIGERATOR is funnier than that...

That's because it's a stand-up model. :)

Oh, stop groaning.

das

Hugin
12-21-2010, 08:21 AM
What I've read about Nelson in the last hour or so tells me that he is an active, engaged, outspoken member of the religious far-right. I have very little doubt he contributes to people like her, and Rove.

I don't have a problem with people who espouse basic conservative principles, but who still rank human lives as more important than money, and who still maintain a basic human decency and regard for those outside the xenophobic tribe that the Republican Party has become....Yeah no. I don't see how that was implied by anything Gail posted. She mentioned one statement by him before you posted this. How does that make him outspoken, or far-right? And I know some far-right wingers(unavoidable here), none of whom contribute financially to the Republican party.

Kevin T Brown
12-21-2010, 08:24 AM
That's because it's a stand-up model. :)

Oh, stop groaning.

das

:bansign:

:lol:

AndrewCrossett
12-21-2010, 08:37 AM
...Yeah no. I don't see how that was implied by anything Gail posted. She mentioned one statement by him before you posted this. How does that make him outspoken, or far-right? And I know some far-right wingers(unavoidable here), none of whom contribute financially to the Republican party.

I didn't base the statement on what she posted. I based it on what I found when I looked up info about Mike Nelson's political and social beliefs.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Andrew has a point, I found a few oddball things Mike said, too.

I'm still not convinced he supports Palin or anything like that.

Tegan
12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Please play the "Where's Waldo"-style game I just invented. I call it, "Where's James Hudnall's Punchline?"

Er, is that just the first page of a longer comic? Because there isn't any point to it. No punchline, nothing. It's not that it's not funny, it's not anything.

Ravenwing263
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
There is a deeply offensive fat joke about Michelle, though, who is not fat, just for double stupidity!

AndrewCrossett
12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Andrew has a point, I found a few oddball things Mike said, too.

I'm still not convinced he supports Palin or anything like that.

I was using Palin more as an example of the type of person supported by people with views similar to his. I don't know whether he supports her particularly, or if he even gives to politicians at all.

But when I hear people express political opinions like his, the first thing that crosses my mind is NOT "Here, have some of my money to do what you please with."

Tommy
12-21-2010, 10:19 AM

The only thing that I can think of as an actual "joke" or a more accurate word "point" in that is that he is saying that the tax cuts have already been discussed in detail to the people who are attacking Obama over them, so discussing them again is silly and yet Obama still wants to explain the compromise out of mistaken belief that it will cause him to shore up his liberal base.

Is that it? Marco? Marco?

But really, that's putting more thought into it than Hud clearly did. The thing reads like a political cartoon that got cut off halfway through.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I think his most recent one ALMOST has a point/counterpoint gag to it, but he flubs the punchline terribly, as always. Someone should tell him that balloons should not be made of lead.

However, THIS one is a perfect example of something he does all too often, which is just the comedic version of a duck dinner where everyone forgot to bring a duck. It's just...amazing. I can't believe a professional writer thinks these are funny.

And what kind of AUDIENCE has standards this low for comedy? There's so much funny stuff out there, are they THAT hungry to have these simplistic ideas validated?

t.c.johnson
12-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Adam Baldwin is very conservative. Then again, everything I have ever seen him in I have really enjoyed, and that can't be a coinsidence. ANd not a commedian, he deffinitely as a great sense of comic timing and deliver a funny line.

I'll give anything he is in a try, despite his politics.

shrike
12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
The only thing funny is the obvious decline in Hudnall's career trajectory.

I mean, sure, he had Harsh Realm YEARS ago, but that lasted... what...? Three episodes maybe?

He isn't relevant (much like Kevin Smith, in another thread I pointed).

And if he made a Michelle Obama fat joke, that's the pot calling the kettle black if I ever heard it. The man is freakin' the size of a blimp.

t.c.johnson
12-21-2010, 11:16 AM
How the hell do you call this woman fat?

http://blog.usnavyseals.com/uploads/michelle-obama.jpg

shrike
12-21-2010, 11:21 AM
How the hell do you call this woman fat?

http://blog.usnavyseals.com/uploads/michelle-obama.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.famouslikeme.com/articleimages/83306_0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.famouslikeme.com/83306/article.html&usg=__-jy5mLXvbvpZ237EsoN3sVhht4s=&h=258&w=180&sz=27&hl=en&start=73&sig2=u4X4K0bNeinblhgiFjUcYQ&zoom=1&tbnid=W9znUx6yqbMKjM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=98&ei=MQwRTfzhKo_-nAeUh8nnDQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djames%2Bhudnall%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D746%26tbs%3Disch: 10%2C1536&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=246&oei=pwsRTdH0JI3ZnAfP4p31DQ&esq=2&page=3&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:73&tx=64&ty=47&biw=1440&bih=746

This man, apparently. Yeah... I know.

http://www.famouslikeme.com/articleimages/83306_0.jpg

zemo
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Okay okay okay...could people stop drawing Obama with big ears? He just doesn't have them! I can get political caricaturists getting hung up on the slightest trademark oddity so that you can easily recognize the politician in question, but...A: Obama's ears just. Aren't. Big. and B: Dude, he's the only black president you have. I think people will understand...

And yes, this is very much anti-fun. For example, you put those two panels into an issue of Secret Six, and by the end of it Ragdoll is a hoover-salesman from Nebraska called "Bob".

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Adam Baldwin is very conservative. Then again, everything I have ever seen him in I have really enjoyed, and that can't be a coinsidence. ANd not a commedian, he deffinitely as a great sense of comic timing and deliver a funny line.

I'll give anything he is in a try, despite his politics.

Is that the My Bodyguard actor who was mad at me?

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Holy crap, I didn't even look at the plates. Obama is having a few peas, and Michelle is having a huge stack of RIBS?

Nice one, guys.

Way to make a shitty cartoon something much worse!

t.c.johnson
12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Is that the My Bodyguard actor who was mad at me?

Yes...he may be a jerk but I can't help it, I enjoy Firefly, Chuck and his appearances on Angel, Bones and the X-Files too much. Ok, maybe I can do without Independence Day...but nobody's career is perfect.

Chris Jones
12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.famouslikeme.com/articleimages/83306_0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.famouslikeme.com/83306/article.html&usg=__-jy5mLXvbvpZ237EsoN3sVhht4s=&h=258&w=180&sz=27&hl=en&start=73&sig2=u4X4K0bNeinblhgiFjUcYQ&zoom=1&tbnid=W9znUx6yqbMKjM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=98&ei=MQwRTfzhKo_-nAeUh8nnDQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djames%2Bhudnall%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D746%26tbs%3Disch: 10%2C1536&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=246&oei=pwsRTdH0JI3ZnAfP4p31DQ&esq=2&page=3&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:73&tx=64&ty=47&biw=1440&bih=746

This man, apparently. Yeah... I know.

http://www.famouslikeme.com/articleimages/83306_0.jpg

Oh my God, why is it always a fat white guy?!?!?

shrike
12-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Gail, if it makes you feel better I would only sleep with Adam Baldwin, not talk to him afterward. :lol:

shrike
12-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh my God, why is it always a fat white guy?!?!?

Well I was just perplexed that a man that looks like that would try to insinuate Michelle Obama of all people (who obviously is in amazing shape) 'fat'.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I have no idea what James Hudnall looks like, and really don't care, but it's very desperate to grab identifying attributes that the target isn't at all known for.

Every time I see these, I admire the art, though, these are good cartoonists (though this one isn't a good example).

zemo
12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Well I was just perplexed that a man that looks like that would try to insinuate Michelle Obama of all people (who obviously is in amazing shape) 'fat'.
I think there is kind of a confusion in the artis's or writer's head. When he thinks of "famous black woman" his mind automatically wanders to Oprah, so they try to insert Oprah in there, reason be damned.

Chris Jones
12-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Yeah, but this is ALL of them. ALL of them are fat white dudes. Besides Bill O'Reilly I can't think of a Conservative pundit/commentator who couldn't at least be described as "husky". It's perplexing.

And yeah, like you said, ol' Porkrind McButterscotch up there has no right to be calling anyone else out on their weight, especially when they're not even fat.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Gail, if it makes you feel better I would only sleep with Adam Baldwin, not talk to him afterward. :lol:

Have at it.

;)

I think he's a great actor, I love the work of his that I've seen.

McIntyre
12-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Is this comic trying to show Michelle as fat and Obama as anorexic-level skinny? Is there a punchline? Does the dialogue make any sense at all?

Does the creator even exist in this plane of existence? Because right now this looks more like a bizarro-world rather than a satire.

Gail Simone
12-21-2010, 12:23 PM
They are my favorite un-comics ever!

Silent G
12-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Is the punchline the fact that Obama looks like some kind of giant mouse man with those ears? Is this a Capitol Critters kind of take? As far as cartoons go these things just go no where.....

DarkKnightJared
12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Holy crap, I didn't even look at the plates. Obama is having a few peas, and Michelle is having a huge stack of RIBS?

Nice one, guys.

Way to make a shitty cartoon something much worse!

Yeesh. I mean, the nicest thing I can think of with that is that he didn't go for the obvious and have them both eating from a huge bucket of Popeye's.

stevapalooza
12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
It's weird how stuff we hate can be more addictive than stuff we love

VenomMelendez
12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
And if he made a Michelle Obama fat joke, that's the pot calling the kettle black if I ever heard it. The man is freakin' the size of a blimp.

Which doesn't make sense to me. Michelle isn't fat at all.

BClayMoore
12-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Which doesn't make sense to me. Michelle isn't fat at all.

Michelle Obama is hot.

There. I said it.

-BCM

Tyr
12-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Um Gail...is this going to turn into another fight with another creator again? Cause I'd like to prep my Fallout Shelter in advance....

Gail Simone
12-22-2010, 12:23 AM
I never fight, I discuss with grace and...

...probably not.

They're still not funny! :)

t.c.johnson
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Michelle Obama is hot.

There. I said it.

-BCM

She is the prettiest first lady since Jackie, that is for sure.

Gail Simone
12-23-2010, 12:01 AM
In Hudnall's world, she eats ribs at state functions.

YIKES.

Ethan Van Sciver
12-23-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm starting to look forward to these...they are the most tin-eared things I've ever read, and I dearly love them in the same way you can love a non-fatal car crash or horrible, horrible movie.

http://thehud.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/OBAMANATION61.jpg

Dear James,

You do know what a punchline is, right?

And where it's supposed to go in an editorial cartoon?

Because I swear, if they exist, you hide them better than Osama B.L.!

More! More!

LOVE these terrible, terrible cartoons!

YESSSS!!!! Thank you, Gail! I love these too. :D

Gail Simone
12-23-2010, 12:04 AM
He's the Ed Wood of political cartoonists, for sure!

Ethan Van Sciver
12-23-2010, 12:07 AM
He's the Ed Wood of political cartoonists, for sure!

Reading them is so fun. You hope he'll succeed at the beginning, and he fails miserably every time. He simply states an uninteresting observation already made by hundreds of pundits weeks before and calls it a punchline.

But I'm addicted.

Gail Simone
12-23-2010, 12:13 AM
YES!

That is exactly RIGHT!

He has one a little later, that ALMOST makes it and I was actually genuinely pleased for the guy...but he still manages to muff it in the end. But it had the STRUCTURE of a punchline, if not the actual, you know, mirth-inducing quality!

Gail Simone
12-23-2010, 12:18 AM
This is the one...it really seems like it's going to work, to be his first effective political cartoon. It makes a point, there's some irony and a structure, and then...the wheels just fall off in the last panel.

http://thehud.com/2010/12/timing-the-issues/

Ethan Van Sciver
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
This is the one...it really seems like it's going to work, to be his first effective political cartoon. It makes a point, there's some irony and a structure, and then...the wheels just fall off in the last panel.

Geez...that's frustrating. All he needed to do was have a final panel with someone happily paying 4.99 a gallon and saying something like, "Obama says there's nothing to worry about until we're up over $5." And even that would suck.

But that last panel...no irony? No "what's unstated?" Just a flat out comment that didn't follow the structure of the rest of the cartoon.

Gail Simone
12-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Dude, believe me, I find them utterly fascinating for a million reasons. I know people think I am harping on them because they are repeating conservative talking points, but I swear to god, it's just that they're so ODDLY AWFUL IN EVERY WAY except the art by two really good artists!

I mean, I STEP on funnier messes than these and I don't get who the audience for them is. No one ever comments on them, even on BigHollywood, where they think the blonde ditz from SNL is a mega-genius, no one ever says they're FUNNY.

I don't get the point at all. They should be effective OR funny, optimally both. And they're never EITHER!

Chris Jones
12-23-2010, 12:39 AM

SUPER pretty though. But yeah, I don't even think the last balloon is grammatically correct, or if it is it looks sloppy, besides being unfunny. A comma after "congress" woulda done a little good for not making it seem so amateurish.

Ethan Van Sciver
12-23-2010, 12:58 AM
I read another one where Obama is on the phone demanding support from Democrats about the tax bill. I ground my teeth through it unconsciously, and now I have a headache.

Meyeraustin
12-23-2010, 04:48 AM
He is? Damn.

Is is truly made ENTIRELY of hate? Because I thought I detected a hint of cinnamon...

or was it saffron?

Meyeraustin
12-23-2010, 04:56 AM
She is the prettiest first lady since Jackie, that is for sure.

I thought Laura Bush was stunning.

Hillary was quite pretty at the beginning of Bill's term.

Keith P.
12-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Ugh, I can't stop reading them and they are making my brain hurt. It's like horrible sex without an orgasm. Their is kind of a lackluster build up, you think its going to peak, and then...nothing.