PDA

View Full Version : Nerds and Science Fiction geeks behold, a real Railgun!

Foolish Mortal
12-14-2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2010/12/the-worlds-most-powerful-supergun.html
A gun the size of a bus has set a new world record, and fired its payload so fast it broke the speed of sound seven times over.

The railgun was fired by the Office of Naval Research in Dahlgen, Virginia, on Friday 10 December and has caused a stir with gadget geeks and sci-fi lovers. In fact, the majority of people who know anything about railguns have probably seen them in sci-fi films or video games.

But Roger Ellis, the railgun program manager, told the Washington Post that unlike the recreations in video games, this is real.

The gun has no moving parts but uses an electromagnetic current to accelerate its bullet. The conductive projectile zips along a set of electrically-charged parallel rails and out of the barrel at speeds of up to Mach 7, Fox News reports.

When the Office of Naval Research sent 33 megajoules through the gun, they set a new world record, making it the most powerful railgun ever developed, and news website MSNBC even claims the shot was heard around the world.

Next, the navy plans to get the mega-gun onto ships: "The 33-megajoule shot means the Navy can fire projectiles at at least 110 nautical miles, placing sailors and marines at a safe standoff distance and out of harm's way," said Nevin Carr, chief of Naval Research at the Office of Naval Research, which provides science and technology to the US Navy and Marine Corps. "This demonstration moves us one day closer to getting this advanced capability to sea," Nevin said in a press release.

According to the Daily Mail, scientists believe technology will almost double the power of the gun by 2025, "enabling it to send a bullet 200 miles in 6 minutes".

Some even think that railguns might be used in the future to get people into space.

The Hodag
12-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Was gonna say pics or GTFO, but the link has a video!

(they really needed to show it blowing shit up, though; just watching the "bullet" was neat, but not enough)

Stupendous Man
12-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Holy fuck. Watch out Moon, don't even look at us funny.

Supreme Convoy
12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Oh man. I really hope they don't develop a Metal Gear...

The Hodag
12-14-2010, 07:01 PM

I hope they don't develop a Psycho Mantis or Revolver Ocelot.

Slewo.O
12-14-2010, 07:02 PM

We're fucked if they get to a Metal Gear REX. The other ones just need to have to the legs shot off.

EmarAndZeb
12-14-2010, 07:16 PM
That is pretty flippin' sweet.

James Patrick
12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
What if the projectile goes so fast that it goes faster than the speed of light, goes back in time, then travels around the world and strikes itself before it's even fired?

EmarAndZeb
12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Forgive my pedantry, but naturally, a projectile going faster than light would easily escape Earth's gravity and wouldn't go around the world, but rather zoom off into space. Before it was fired.

;)

James Patrick
12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Forgive my pedantry, but naturally, a projectile going faster than light would easily escape Earth's gravity and wouldn't go around the world, but rather zoom off into space. Before it was fired.

;)

yeah, i thought of that but took artistic freedom anyway.