PDA

View Full Version : Does overhyped stories bother you?

ds9
07-06-2005, 07:39 AM
And I mean from the industry as a whole.Thers an article on it : http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=17:CASEY: (http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=17:CASEY:) So, now that convention season is in full swing, I guess it's time for all of us to brace ourselves for whatever announcements and so-called "news" that might come out of these situations. Lord knows what the big publishers will come up with to hit us over the head with this year, but if there's one thing we can count on, it's that whatever projects, exclusive signings or otherwise relevant news is unveiled at these things... they'll surely be presented with the attendant amount of hype.

Ah, yes... Hype. Once upon a time, in our cute little business, hype was actually "promotion." It served as promotion, providing information that would serve to inform potential readers of what was coming. If genuine fan excitement came along with it -- what was once referred to as "buzz" -- then so much the better.

These days, simply providing information just doesn't cut it. If you can't get people excited, get message boards buzzing, get misinformation running rampant, force that buzz to somehow exist... then you're obviously doing something wrong. That's what Hype is all about, isn't it? Generating a histrionic reaction to -- at that point -- nothing. In other words, it's gotten to the point where publishers can hype a series before one page is written or drawn. Now, the layman may ask, "How is that possible... to promote something to the moon that doesn't even exist yet...?" The answer: Well... this is Hype we're talking about, not promotion.

Hype. Where the public is told what it will like before it has a chance to actually see the product.

Kind of like a magic trick, wouldn't you say...?

FRACTION: Definitely a trick, I'll give it that much. Am I nuts, or are we very quickly approaching some sort of Bullshit Singularity? All love of hyperbole and the cleverly placed PR bombs aside, things are starting to feel like just... yelling. And not even articulate yelling: it's like two white noise makers cranked all the way up and pointed at one another from across the convention floor.

I mean, I by no means claim to have my ear to the ground of the heart of the market or anything, but even I can tell that when, like, Newsarama is running stories about how much it actually costs to follow either of the Big! Summer! EVENTS! that... shit, man, people are going to burn out on this fast.

So then you'll have readers rejecting books before they've even read them, critiquing not the books but the hype. Which, while it certainly seems natural, doesn't seem any more right.

CASEY: Y'know, the sick thing is that I can actually appreciate a good... well... Hype Job. And God bless Brady for running what I call the Lick Of Sense. One counter balances the other, which is ultimately a good thing. But the well-done Hype Job is, I suppose, an art form in itself.

But it has nothing to do with comicbooks, does it?

You're absolutely right. Judgment passed on a Hype Job should not be mistaken for judgment on the product itself. But how many folks really think to make that distinction? Well, the superior Hype Job doesn't allow for you to make that distinction. The superior Hype Job eats away at your ability to think rationally. All that's left is the thought, "I have to have this!"

Hype forces everyone to pass the buck. Publishers need to sell their product, and so the Hype Job begins. Retailers and reader alike are subsequently exposed to said Hype. If one doesn't buy into it, the other will. So, whose fault is it when a new Hype Job works? No one's. And everyone's.

Ray G.
07-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Only when they don't live up to the hype. *cough*LastLaugh*cough*

Adrian B AWESOME
07-06-2005, 07:40 AM
No.

Taki Soma
07-06-2005, 07:42 AM
overhyped anything is a little annoying, but that's about it. all they are doing is trying to market as much as possible, and I don't blame anyone for that.

Smokinblues
07-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Do overhyped stories bother me? No. Does hype get out of hand sometimes? Sure.

ds9
Joe casey:Hey, I said it was a minor epiphany, okay...?

Publishers have ego, just like human beings do. And it's a bit stickier when publishers have ego, because it's a complete "pass the buck" situation. You can't point the finger at any one person for being a blowhard huckster, because a Publisher is a corporation. And, as my loyal WILDCATS VERSION 3.0 readers know, a corporation can exhibit the same characteristics of any one human being. Greed, envy, outrage... ego. This is simply the way things are. Movie studios do it. Fast food chains do it. Why not publishers? I get it. And I think most other people get it, too. At this point, DC crows about a sellout that was probably print-to-order (or damn close to it) to begin with. That's cool. But nobody's really being fooled anymore. Publisher Hype is right on the cusp of becoming the kind of white noise that we've learned to block out in the past, countless times. So whatever...

But I think the death knell you're predicting may, in fact, happen simply because now we've got individual creators who think they can adopt this Hype-As-Ego posture and not look like a complete fucking asshole. Remember, it was a creator who said this "cracking the Internet in half" bullshit that everyone's making so much fun of now (and rightly so). The parody you're talking about is so much more obvious when it's the creators themselves that are spouting it. I've dipped a toe (okay maybe a foot... or even a leg) into the Hype-As-Ego waters and -- guess what? -- I sounded like a complete fucking asshole. So, lesson learned... I hope.

Gregory
It's a business. They have to market the goods in a crowded field with limited distribution. Especialy the biggest publishers. I need an expert's memory; has the indy-book market ever been this big?

I don't mind hype because I can tune it out and ignore the books tha tdon't appeal to me despite the ads, the interviews, the press releases, etc. I don't feel the pressure to buy titles just because a lot of people are talking about it.

To be fair, I should add I was part of the early Marvel interviews and press conferences when Jemas/Quesada took over. And the sales pitches were a bit hard to swallow (Elektra was to be hawked as a fashion model by a talent agency). This may have ratcheted up my cynicism.

alexlannin
Yes.

TIP
07-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Only when they don't live up to the hype.

Ask me again after Crisis and HOM are over...

T

anThONY_s
07-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Usually I only care who's writing a story. But this time around both Marvel and DC have put some really good writers on their summer events.

The downside to this is that, in my opinion, summer events never live up to the hype. And you know there's no way House of M is going to be as good as Daredevil or USM.

I'd rather they had some hack writing the summer events so I wouldn't have so many expectations.

Jerome Gibbons
07-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Eh. I've learned to not pay attention to the hype anymore. Oddly enough, it wasn't anything coming from Marvel that did it for me, even though they're unquestionably the biggest hype machine (followed closely by DC). It was the whole thing in Identity Crisis about 1) the victim's identity (I thought it was going to be Kyle Rayner!) and 2) the killer's identity (I thought it was going to be Nightwing!).

Opus Croakus
07-06-2005, 07:50 AM
No. Then again, I don't think the hype has much influence on what I buy.

Fourthman
07-06-2005, 07:54 AM
No, they doesn't.

Bill?
07-06-2005, 07:58 AM
sometimes it does bug me.
Like 1602, for instance, was really hyped up to be a big deal and that it would have huge effects on Marvel and then... well... it wasnt and it didnt.
I think theres a point where the hype machine sometimes makes something out to be something the comic isnt. like it'll be bigger then it is. and that bugs me.

ds9
07-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Joe casey:Publishers have ego, just like human beings do. And it's a bit stickier when publishers have ego, because it's a complete "pass the buck" situation. You can't point the finger at any one person for being a blowhard huckster, because a Publisher is a corporation. And, as my loyal WILDCATS VERSION 3.0 readers know, a corporation can exhibit the same characteristics of any one human being. Greed, envy, outrage... ego. This is simply the way things are. Movie studios do it. Fast food chains do it. Why not publishers? I get it. And I think most other people get it, too. At this point, DC crows about a sellout that was probably print-to-order (or damn close to it) to begin with. That's cool. But nobody's really being fooled anymore. Publisher Hype is right on the cusp of becoming the kind of white noise that we've learned to block out in the past, countless times. So whatever...

But I think the death knell you're predicting may, in fact, happen simply because now we've got individual creators who think they can adopt this Hype-As-Ego posture and not look like a complete fucking asshole. Remember, it was a creator who said this "cracking the Internet in half" bullshit that everyone's making so much fun of now (and rightly so). The parody you're talking about is so much more obvious when it's the creators themselves that are spouting it. I've dipped a toe (okay maybe a foot... or even a leg) into the Hype-As-Ego waters and -- guess what? -- I sounded like a complete fucking asshole. So, lesson learned... I hope.

alexlannin
07-06-2005, 08:04 AM
sometimes it does bug me.
Like 1602, for instance, was really hyped up to be a big deal and that it would have huge effects on Marvel and then... well... it wasnt and it didnt.
I think theres a point where the hype machine sometimes makes something out to be something the comic isnt. like it'll be bigger then it is. and that bugs me.
I've come to the conclusion that very few things ever really change the Marvel Universe. The biggest shakeup that lasts (X-Men Reloaded)is really more a change of scenery.

Thudpucker
07-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Nope, don't see why it would.

alexlannin
07-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Nope, don't see why it would.
As a retailer, there are times I'm almost ASSAULTED with hype in my inbox, my Diamond shipments, snail mail. It gets annoying, just like junk mail and spam.

Bill?
07-06-2005, 08:12 AM
I've come to the conclusion that very few things ever really change the Marvel Universe. The biggest shakeup that lasts (X-Men Reloaded)is really more a change of scenery.

things tend to change over a period of time, i've noticed. rather than all at once. the only real exception being crisis. which took like a year. after every other big change type event, everything more or less kinda bounces back.
but 1602, I mean, that as nothing. it had no impact on anything at all.

McAfee
07-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Sometimes it's an annoyance, but only if the story is bad.

And why do you keep posting the same shit in this thread, ds9? You asked the question, we're answering.

ds9
07-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Sometimes it's an annoyance, but only if the story is bad.

And why do you keep posting the same shit in this thread, ds9? You asked the question, we're answering.wow no need to curse at me tried to post the article and the highlights. Dont hit me im sorry. :mistrust:

McAfee
07-06-2005, 08:21 AM
wow no need to curse at me tried to post the article and the highlights. Dont hit me im sorry. :mistrust:

Didn't curse you. Just think you like to beat a dead horse a little too much.

Alex K.
07-06-2005, 08:24 AM
No, they doesn't.

:rofl:

ds9
07-06-2005, 09:07 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

ds9
07-10-2005, 09:07 AM
So Quesada put out any new hype?

Jerome Gibbons
07-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Yeah.

New Avengers #7-10 are reportedly going to "fist your dog until it becomes a cat!!".

That shameless hype machine Quesada.

DrMachine
07-10-2005, 09:08 AM
No they does not bothers me

joeAR
07-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Nope cause if you buy into all the hype that goes into comics, movies, games, and cd's and fall for it everytime you're a fool.

LenNWallace
07-10-2005, 09:09 AM
They don't bug me nearly as much as bad grammar does.

Shwicaz
07-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Just because something is 'hyped' (whether over hyped or under hyped) is irrelevant.

If you, youself fall for/let yourself be influenced by hype, its your won fault, not the fault of the 'hyper'

I mean, there was tons of hype for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

..and yet, the 'hype' is not making me go see it. I have no interest.

I make my own 'hype'. There are things I am excited about, but if I am excited about them, it is because it is something I am looking forward to already, not because of 'the hype'.

ds9
07-10-2005, 09:12 AM
They don't bug me nearly as much as bad grammar does.Snobs who take pleasure in trying to derail a thread due to grammar are really the enemy. ;-)

joeAR
07-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Just because something is 'hyped' (whether over hyped or under hyped) is irrelevant.

If you, youself fall for/let yourself be influenced by hype, its your won fault, not the fault of the 'hyper'

I make my own 'hype'. There are things I am excited about, but if I am excited about them, it is because it is something I am looking forward to already, not because of 'the hype'.

Very well put.

DrMachine
07-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Snobs who take pleasure in trying to derail a thread due to grammar are really the enemy. ;-)

WOW

you must have been working on that sentence for a while now

ds9
07-10-2005, 09:14 AM
WOW

you must have been working on that sentence for a while nowYour mama wrote it for me ;-)

LenNWallace
07-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Your mama wrote it for me ;-)
Note the lack of a period at the end of this sentence.

ds9
07-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Note the lack of a period at the end of this sentence.I know right ? thats just b fuckd up i dont right write.

DrMachine
07-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Your mama wrote it for me ;-)

see now you're just confused...

that would've been funny like this

Yo mama wrote it for me

they way you wrote it is just...sad

ds9
07-10-2005, 09:18 AM
see now you're just confused...

that would've been funny like this

Yo mama wrote it for me

they way you wrote it is just...sadyassah iz sorry

LenNWallace
07-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I know right ? thats just b fuckd up i dont right write.
Lurn 2 tipe gud. :)

ds9
07-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Lurn 2 tipe gud. :)sur du massah

Ben Rosen
07-10-2005, 09:26 AM
nope. i don really get caught up in the hype, so it doesn't bother me if its not the most incredible thing ever.

DrMachine
07-10-2005, 09:30 AM
yassah iz sorry

no, I'm not

Hypester23
07-10-2005, 09:44 AM
YES!!!

House of M is so good (especially #3), but all the hype is very distracting and annoying. It also gives the people who like to complain about everything a lot of ammunition.

Ultimate Six had the same thing happen to it.

joeAR
07-10-2005, 09:45 AM
YES!!!

House of M is so good (especially #3), but all the hype is very distracting and annoying. It also gives the people who like to complain about everything a lot of ammunition.

Ultimate Six had the same thing happen to it.

Originally Posted by Shwicaz