PDA

View Full Version : Triangle motif

Foggy's Pal
12-06-2010, 01:00 PM
David, I've noticed that you use a lot of small triangles in your backgrounds of your art. Is this a motif element with significant meaning, or is it just a design element for you?

MACK!
12-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Well, I've tried to use geometric shapes in different ways. I realize that when I used to doodle on the phone (since I was a kid) I wouldn't draw images, I'd draw these triangle designs and geometric shapes. Kind of an unconscious design doodling.

So when I need some design element to help emphasize the hierarchy of the page design, I thought to include those "unconscious" design elements with the conscious structure.

In the Echo story, I tried to use the triangles in ways that I've seen them used in Native American designs.
When I was in Australia, I also noticed the the aboriginal artwork used triangle shapes to make images to great effect. So sometimes I try to use them that way.
And sometimes I use them the way Gustav Klimt would use geometric shapes in his paintings in contrast to the organic figure shapes.
Barron Storey, was inspired to use triangle designs after seeing how they were used in African Art.
He also assigns gender to them. When the triangls are pointing up, they are male, when pointing down they are female, and that duality is an unconscious design element to integrate and contrast with the more formal composition structure.

I notice that having the triangle point left vs right also works with how we in the west read things.
I point the triangles to the east, left to right, to give sense of forward movement, I point them the other way when bringing the reading of the eye to a standstill to stop and look at something for a bit longer.

Foggy's Pal
12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the answer. I just thought they looked cool.:lol: I'm going to check out the Native American art, see what I can find. Echo is some of my favorite Marvel story/character ever, going to go back and check that again too.

Sir Gibby
12-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I found myself doodling triangles onto a notebook during a meeting we had the other week. Someone up the food chain asked what I was doing. Couldn't give 'em any competent answer about motif, paying homage to a particular artist, being expressful...
"I got nothin' sir. Saw it in a comic book."

Conveniently timed question/answer on your board!