PDA

View Full Version : What's your fave Iron Man storyarc or mini post Extremis?

leafinsectman
11-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Something from Mr Fraction? Something by the Knaufs? One of the minis?

Slewo.O
11-21-2010, 07:50 PM
My favorite was the one when Tony finally finished building the race car. Now in all seriousness?

The Five Nightmares.

AndrewG
11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
my favorite was the one when tony finally finished building the race car. Now in all seriousness?

The five nightmares.

:)

6%

Slewo.O
11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
:)

6%

6 percent of pure awesome used? I agree. :)

NickT
11-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Maybe the first Knauf arc post Civil War? I dunno, I liked all of their run and Fractions, but there isn't a specific arc that I'd highlight over the rest.

leafinsectman
11-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Maybe the first Knauf arc post Civil War? I dunno, I liked all of their run and Fractions, but there isn't a specific arc that I'd highlight over the rest.

See, this is exactly how I feel which is why I started this thread. I can't really pinpoint one standout arc.

SAVETHEB
11-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Extremis is the only Iron Man story I've ever liked.

David Aspmo
11-21-2010, 08:29 PM
"World's Most Wanted" and "Stark: Disassembled" really feel more like one big storyline than two, so it's difficult for me to pick one over the other.

It's also why I'm more than a bit annoyed that Marvel did the OHC collection so that it left off "Stark: Disassembled" - they really should have waited and just done an omnibus of the first 24 issues. In fact, I still hold out some hope that they'll still put one out (since it wouldn't make sense to collect "Stark: Disassembled" with any other story) - and put a better cover on it while they're at it.

But, yeah, that storyline is my answer.

NeverWanderer
11-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I loooovvved the Knaufs' run, and was even a little disappointed when their continuity and subplots seemed to be abandoned for the bright & shiny Invincible title after the movie was released.

I think Execute Program is probably my favorite of those, just because it had a nice mix of Avengers interactions, big action, world-spanning intrigue and high tech superheroics. Plus, Patch drew one slick, sleek Iron Man. It's definitely the book I've returned to more than all the others when I want to flip through an Iron Man story.

The Mandarin
11-22-2010, 12:46 AM
The Knaufs Mandarin story, of course.

Rated C
11-22-2010, 05:00 AM
I have only read Fraction's work on Iron Man, so I'm gonna have to say The Five Nightmares.

SpecialK
11-22-2010, 05:13 AM
I loved the Knauf's entire run, though I'm torn between Execute Program and the last part of their Mandarin story.

artimoff
11-22-2010, 06:09 AM
I loooovvved the Knaufs' run, and was even a little disappointed when their continuity and subplots seemed to be abandoned for the bright & shiny Invincible title after the movie was released.

Yeah, that pissed me off.

That's my favorite, too.

SpecialK
11-22-2010, 06:13 AM

Whoa whoa, is Happy alive again and no one told me?

Slewo.O
11-22-2010, 06:20 AM

I think Execute Program is probably my favorite of those, just because it had a nice mix of Avengers interactions, big action, world-spanning intrigue and high tech superheroics. Plus, Patch drew one slick, sleek Iron Man. It's definitely the book I've returned to more than all the others when I want to flip through an Iron Man story.

Bright and shiny? Really? In the first arc a ton of people are murdered, and in the second arc Tony got the shit beaten out of him by Norman. Not by a long shot.

And they did mention Mandarin's extremis encounter in the annual. We'll just have to see what happened.

Jim Schnobrich
11-22-2010, 06:30 AM
I'm going to say World's Most Wanted was probably my favorite. Followed closely by Execute Program. I missed most of the Knaufs' run the first time around and am just reading through it now, though.

NeverWanderer
11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Bright and shiny? Really? In the first arc a ton of people are murdered, and in the second arc Tony got the shit beaten out of him by Norman. Not by a long shot.

And they did mention Mandarin's extremis encounter in the annual. We'll just have to see what happened.

Bright & shiny like a new car. ;)

Marcdachamp
11-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Gotta go with the Annual. I loved that Mandarin story.

Jef UK
11-22-2010, 10:18 AM
All of Invincible Iron Man so far. The Knauf's run was good I guess, but it wasn't as good as either Extremis or Invincible, imo. I don't think I've yet to read their take on the Mandarin.

Sarcoidosis
11-22-2010, 11:01 AM
The trade is called "Haunted" and it's one of my most-read trades. Great use of old Silver Centurion armour before Fraction did it in World's Most Wanted (though I loved Fraction's use of the Busiek era armour).

Had the Knaufs continued on Iron Man with Fraction on Invincible Iron Man, these last few years would have been the greatest years for Iron Man in his history (unless they couldn't coordinate well, which seems likely).

But yeah, with the exception of "With Iron Hands", Iron Man has been on a hot streak since Extremis.

Big Poot!
11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Five Nightmares. Perfect sequel to the movie. Excellent art.

The Mandarin
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM

It was decent, but a few things bothered me about it. The Mandarin wanting to believe that Genghis Khan had died peacefully as an old, loved man bothered me. The Mandarin should want Khan to have died killing a thousand soldiers while a thousand assassins stabbed him in the back. And then he whirled and killed the assassins but alas not before the poison had entered his body. Then his harem gathered around him and mourned, because they knew they would never again be fucked by such a massive penis wielded with such peerless skill. THAT'S the kind of fantasy the Mandarin would have about his ancestor's death, not that died peacefully crap.

It didn't fit that he was bragging about helping orphans, either. In his mind, anyone who needs help is a parasite. Yes, I know he was lying about helping them, but it's not the sort of thing he would lie about. Instead he would make a speech about how not coddling the weak helps the human race in the long term, because it either forces them to become strong, or purges them from the gene-pool. Win-win.

The Mandarin is always about barbarism, predation, and competition. As such, the property has a certain range of behavior that feels authentic. He can be presented as very like Klingons at their best or Predators at their best, barbaric and predatory but with a strong sense of fair-play and courage. And he can be presented as utterly predatory, devouring everything around himself to make him stronger, smarter, more lethal; with the law of the jungle being his only morality.

The property has a certain range. The range is not limitless. A Mandarin who tries to bring absolute peaceful order to the world doesn't feel like Mandarin anymore. There should always be an undercurrent of Survival of the Fittest to the Mandarin, but the details can vary all the way from Klingons at their best all the way to what amounts to an intelligent shark or praying-mantis.

Bragging about helping orphans or wanting Khan to have died peacefully is outside of that range.

leafinsectman
11-22-2010, 02:16 PM

That's why I said 'arc'. If it was single issues then this'd probably be my pick. Its certainly the first one that comes to mind post Extremis.

From what I remember...

I thought he was trying to appear all kind and stuff because he wanted the director to make a movie where he's almost a saint or whatever. He was trying to project a certain image for the movie. Also, he was losing his shit throughout the issue. I'm not saying that's how he actually is, I actually agree with most of what you said. But the story was him wanting the director to make a movie that made him appear all nice and kind and heroic and stuff as opposed to a Klingon warrior (which I also think is closer to how he actually would be). It was all for the movie.

Why does he want to make that movie? I don't know. I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd want to be in a movie and/or want a movie based on them and they'd probably want it to be as heroic and dramatic as possible. Maybe he's just one of these people. But from what I remember of it, it was all for the movie.

And in the end, he went nuts and killed everyone. So there's your Klingon warrior I suppose.

Magnum V.I.
11-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I really loved the fact the Knauf Mandarin had the rings inserted into his Spinal cord. I'm still kind of torn on that point being forgotten about in the Annual. But that's the world of Comic Books, writers don't read everything and pick and choose what continuity they want to follow. That's fine with me.

It's also why I love Hickman because he references the shit out of other stories that have gone on or other big events that have happened and people seem to "forget" about. (Comic Book characters, not writers) Love it.

leafinsectman
11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I really loved the fact the Knauf Mandarin had the rings inserted into his Spinal cord. I'm still kind of torn on that point being forgotten about in the Annual. But that's the world of Comic Books, writers don't read everything and pick and choose what continuity they want to follow. That's fine with me.

I like the Annual a lot but I would've loved to have seen them do something about the spinal cord stuff.

Zac Goyette
11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Probably Most Wanted, but it is difficult not to choose Five Nightmares or Execute Program.

The Mandarin
11-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I really loved the fact the Knauf Mandarin had the rings inserted into his Spinal cord..

I didn't. While I really loved the Knaufs story overall, I thought the spine thing was stupid because it spoils the pimp imagery that should surround this character. Everything about him should reek of hypermasculinity.

His home should have stuffed animals and weapons on the wall and even some dead superheroes/rival villains in glass cases.

He should have a harem around himself much of the time.

And he should wear the rings on his hands, where they remind the reader of pimp-bling and brass-knuckles.

The rings on the back thing was the one aspect of the Knaufs Mandarin story I felt was dumb. Everything else about that story was so perfect that it was very easily forgivable, but still I'm glad that the rings are back where they belong: on his hands.

Matt Jay
04-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Extremis has been my favorite, but the Knaufs really nailed it as well. I'm finally getting caught up on their run and it's every bit as good as Brubaker's Cap was in the early days. I never got into Fraction's run.

Magnum V.I.
04-27-2013, 03:03 PM
I didn't. While I really loved the Knaufs story overall, I thought the spine thing was stupid because it spoils the pimp imagery that should surround this character. Everything about him should reek of hypermasculinity.

His home should have stuffed animals and weapons on the wall and even some dead superheroes/rival villains in glass cases.

He should have a harem around himself much of the time.

And he should wear the rings on his hands, where they remind the reader of pimp-bling and brass-knuckles.

The rings on the back thing was the one aspect of the Knaufs Mandarin story I felt was dumb. Everything else about that story was so perfect that it was very easily forgivable, but still I'm glad that the rings are back where they belong: on his hands.

Really? The Mandarin should be a pimp? Does he hang out with Jew Skin Mask Red Skull and say "German, Please."

ultwar
04-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Really? The Mandarin should be a pimp? Does he hang out with Jew Skin Mask Red Skull and say "German, Please."

That post you replied is from the past, circa 1973 is my guess.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
04-27-2013, 05:03 PM
"World's Most Wanted" and "Stark: Disassembled"

Sure would like to see the rest of Fraction's run collected in OHC.

Kman00001
04-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Enter the Mandarin by Joe Casey and Eric Canete. Chronologically this takes place in the early days, but was published during the Knauf run so I'm using it. :)

ultwar
07-16-2014, 06:12 PM
"World's Most Wanted" and "Stark: Disassembled" Sure would like to see the rest of Fraction's run collected in OHC.

Yes, I would as well.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
07-16-2014, 06:45 PM
dupicate

Zac Goyette
07-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Execute Program from the Knaufs and Patch and 5 Nightmares from Fraction and Larocca are my favorites. I really liked Gillen and Land's first Marvel Now! arc too.

Matt Jay
07-16-2014, 07:13 PM
The Knaufs had alot of good ones, but my favorite has been what I've read from Gillen so far.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
07-17-2014, 06:37 AM
I like Gillen and would love to see some OHC or an Omnibus of his run. From what I read in the solicits, it sounds like he did some wacky shit.

TIP
07-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Fave is the Voyages aboard the Throatwarbler Mangrove
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/tiptone/Scan47-1.jpg