PDA

View Full Version : should I tell my current store I am not coming back anymore?

MayorMitch100
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
So I have decided to switch over to DCBS and was wondering if I have any obligation to tell my comic store that I will not be shopping there anymore.

Kirblar
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Only if you have a pull list.

Magnum V.I.
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Ditto. Unless the store is filled with hippies. Then fuck 'em!

MayorMitch100
11-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I do have a pull list.

should I break up with them in person or would email be sufficient?

Kirblar
11-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I do have a pull list.

As long as you pay off your tab you should be good. I'd do it in person so you make sure it happens.

MayorMitch100
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
As long as you pay off your tab you should be good. I'd do it in person so you make sure it happens.

I pay every time I pick stuff up so I don't owe them any money. I'd rather not stop there though, it's kind of out of the way and hard to get to, a lot of the reason I switched.

oconnellmd
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
And be sure to use the "It's not you...it's me" to let them down easy.

Magnum V.I.
11-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Pity fuck them before you leave.

Matthew Brown
11-02-2010, 10:57 PM
"You're killing the comic industry, Mitch!"

Mitch turned, cigarette in mouth. He spoke through his teeth.

"Fuck y'all. I'm just all about getting my dick wet."

Then he lit the cigarette and walked out of the store, never to be seen again.

Jason California
11-03-2010, 12:22 AM
If you have a hold file he has ordered books for the next 2 months based on history. You should at the very least probably let him know. If he is a cool guy you may want to do a bit more.

Greygor
11-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Never Burn Bridges. Politely stop your pull list and pop in occasionally to browse. You never know when you might need them.

dougmac
11-03-2010, 01:46 AM
it's a common courtesy.

Ryudo
11-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Pop in and tell them. Whether they are out of the way or not, like others have said, you want to extend that courtesy.

dEnny!
11-03-2010, 02:32 AM
I thought kids just sent texts to break up nowadays?

Greygor
11-03-2010, 02:42 AM
I thought kids just sent texts to break up nowadays?

Or in Forums

p.s.

We're so over, your shit's outside on the sidewalk

dEnny!
11-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Or in Forums

p.s.

We're so over, your shit's outside on the sidewalk

:(

But I thought we'd be together forever.

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Definitely let them know. That should go without saying.

dEnny!
11-03-2010, 04:25 AM
Definitely let them know. That should go without saying.

If you were my LCS I could never quit you.

Marcdachamp
11-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Most definitely. I told my interim LCS, and I only had that between my old LCS and DCBS (a span of about two months, maybe?). They might have still had some of my books, but, by that point, I was fucking fed up with the guy.

Dave S.
11-03-2010, 05:18 AM
I love my LCS so I am biased. (Fourth World Comics, biggest and best comic book store on Long Island)

cPol
11-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Stay strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzh4_W1KQ0

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Definetly let them know. Working in a comic book store, it sucks if somebody doesn't come in, and when you call them they just say "Yeah, I'm not intrested anymore." It's a courtesy, and like somebody else said, who knows when you may need them again. Better to be in good standing with them.

Stark Raving
11-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Seriously, you have to break up with a comic shop now?
Can't you just tape cab fare to their head and sneak out, like the old days?

Magnum V.I.
11-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Definetly let them know. Working in a comic book store, it sucks if somebody doesn't come in, and when you call them they just say "Yeah, I'm not intrested anymore." It's a courtesy, and like somebody else said, who knows when you may need them again. Better to be in good standing with them.

Typical Comic Book Employee Sense of Entitlement.

OzMan
11-03-2010, 08:34 AM
I did that once...when I stopped reading I just stopped showing up, and I had a pull list.

But in the end, I ended up going back again a year or two later...I kind of moved on never to mention that event to my comic shop owner.

We're still cool though...I just don't keep a pull list any more and I just show up on Wednesdays, if they don't have what I need cause they sold out, I'll either get it online or just head to another shop when I have the chance.

Bill!
11-03-2010, 09:19 AM
If you don't have a written agreement, then the hell with them. That's what the free market demands.

justjeffery
11-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, let them know.

modungo
11-03-2010, 09:31 AM
If they've been good to you I say let 'em know. You don't have to, you wouldn't let McDonald's know you're switchin to Wendy's BUT if they've treated you right you should treat them right.
HOWEVER, if they've treated you like, y'know a comic shop tends to treat customers, then fuck 'em.

The Funketeer
11-03-2010, 09:34 AM
I do have a pull list.

I think the good thing to do would be to honor your pull list for the next couple months until everything that you've ordered has arrived and been paid for.

afroloq
11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
As long as you don't start off by saying "It's not you, it's me..."

edwardmblake
11-03-2010, 09:40 AM
If you have a pull list, then you have an implicit contract with them.They could sue you for breach of contract for not picking up your books. Does anyone really want to be sued for not picking up Tarot #65?*

*Made all of this up. You should tell them.

NickT
11-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I pay every time I pick stuff up so I don't owe them any money. I'd rather not stop there though, it's kind of out of the way and hard to get to, a lot of the reason I switched.
If you have a pull list, they're ordering comics with you in mind. If you don't tell them you're not coming back, you're causing them to lose money.

Taxman
11-03-2010, 09:48 AM
You should close down your pull list.

Doug
11-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Tell 'em. They will probably ask you to stay for an extra two months to cover the books they have already ordered for your pull list. That is the policy at my CS (not really local so I dropped the "L").

It might suck to do so, but telling them is the right thing to do.

batmanbooyah
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Just go in and take a shit on the front counter. Not only will they tell you to never return, but you won't have to pay for any of the books they held for you!

As a bonus they'll have an awesome story to tell their customers. It's a win/win for everyone!

MayorMitch100
11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I think the good thing to do would be to honor your pull list for the next couple months until everything that you've ordered has arrived and been paid for.

I've already ordered through december from DCBS. But I don't want to go in there, say we're done and not buying anything. The main guy can be a douche sometimes though.

Ryudo
11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I've already ordered through december from DCBS. But I don't want to go in there, say we're done and not buying anything. The main guy can be a douche sometimes though.

You can cancel the pull, that's fine.

But as the majority of the thread said, it's just courteous to go in there and do it face to face.

Rick_O
11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
If you don't wanna go back and your not comfortable just call them and tell them you want to cancel your pull list. Better yet email them if you can.

GelfXIII
11-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Walk in, say "It's not you, it's me. I'm needing books that you're just not getting. I'm sorry, and I hope we can still be friends."

Matthew Brown
11-04-2010, 11:24 AM
This is one of those threads where you had to know deep down the right thing was to just go over and tell them. You just wanted permission to never talk to them again. :p

Jason California
11-04-2010, 11:29 AM
If you are not going to say good bye to thm in any form Mitch you probably should not have started this thread.

UltimateFactor
11-04-2010, 12:09 PM
It really depends on your relationship with the people who run it. If it's strictly business, then just drop an email and be done with it. They are out of your way, and plus you've already started ordering elsewhere. So unless they have been outstanding to you and/or are borderline friends with you, then just email to cancel your pull list so they don't keep ordering.

If they ARE friends and have gone out of their way to help you on occasion, then go ahead and take the time to stop by one more time on a comic day, pick up one or two books and cancel your list and say goodbye.

I've had both relationships. I had one shop who I had a pull list from who on two occasions took a book out of my pull because I picked up on Friday and not Wednesday and gave them to another customer because they came every Wednesday and bought more than me. So I said screw them after the second time and started going to another shop and never even told them.

The Other store [Shout out to North Coast Nostalgia! Ridge Road location especially!] was run by a real sweety. She was fun to talk to, and if I forgot about a book I really wanted all I had to do was call and she'd do her best to get it for me, even on short notice. If a book wasn't shipped, damaged or, mis-ordered, she'd go out of her way to try and get me a copy, and even saved me variant covers if she could just in case I wanted them. When I couldn't go as much as I used [I go every two weeks now and just pick up a big two week stack] she doesn't mess with them no matter who's looking for a certain copy of whatever.

Once she had a really good friend who was really looking forward to a certain book and the only copy she had at the time was in my pull list, she called and asked if she could sell it and I jumped at the chance to say yes. I mean I could just order it off the internet or wait until she ordered another. But the fact that she called and asked me, made me just want to say yes :lol:

So I guess it just depends on who they are to you. You don't owe them anything unless they've been good to you.

Michael Blacklist
11-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I'll call them for you. What's their number?

jacoblb
11-05-2010, 07:15 AM
We've had similar (informative) threads about this here in the past. I'm afraid I don't have anything to add or suggest, there's already been good input from others stating you ought to inform them. I would only mention that depending whom you're dealing you never know how they'll react. I know when I stopped being a customer at a certain store I was going to because the owner would guilt me into helping his business and he'd made a lot of empty promises such as him promoting my artwork, among other things--he was a former manager of a store I had gone to since I was a kid and which I've happily gone back for years--it was an awful experience. It was yet another life lesson where it proved being truthful and honest with someone wasn't the right move. I really think if I could do it over I'd save myself a headache and just tell white lies and, at the very least, I'd feel I'd be somewhat on friendly terms with him. But then I haven't seen him since then so maybe it doesn't matter.

MayorMitch100
11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
My father sent a email. The store wasn't anything special. We didn't get a discount or anything. We had been going to those guys for maybe 7 years. We used to get a discount but after one of the stores closed we went to the other one and they stopped the discount.

edwardmblake
11-05-2010, 11:26 AM
My father sent a email. The store wasn't anything special. We didn't get a discount or anything. We had been going to those guys for maybe 7 years. We used to get a discount but after one of the stores closed we went to the other one and they stopped the discount.

Good God Lemon.

Matthew Brown
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Good God Lemon.

:lol:

MayorMitch100
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Good God Lemon.

Liz Lemon?

edwardmblake
11-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Liz Lemon?

Yes. I was taken aback by the fact that your dad wrote the email to cancel your pull list. In the end, an action was taken to achieve the desired result, so who cares. Good luck with DCBS.

MayorMitch100
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Yes. I was taken aback by the fact that your dad wrote the email to cancel your pull list. In the end, an action was taken to achieve the desired result, so who cares. Good luck with DCBS.

technically it's my dad's pull list, but I wasn't sure which avenue to take to end it.

Matthew Brown
11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
technically it's my dad's pull list, but I wasn't sure which avenue to take to end it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2895019/lizlemon.png

Andreas
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM

You have a store and you have pull lists for your customers. Most of your customers get their comics weekly. Sometimes customers stay away and reappear a few months later and they expect you to have ordered the comics on their pull list. But sometimes they do not come back without any notice. Perhaps they lost their job and are too ashamed to admit it to the store owner, or they switched to a different store. Half a year passes and the comics in their pull box pile up, which is dead money for your store. At what point do you stop ordering comics for the customer?

It's just a matter of politeness to let the store owner know and make an arrangement for all the series on your pull list what issue numbers will be your final ones. He won't lose any money on comics he cannot sell, he won't have a grudge, and he will welcome you back as a customer any time.

RebootedCorpse
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I would, just so they can adjust their ordering

Arion
11-05-2010, 05:18 PM
"You're killing the comic industry, Mitch!"

Mitch turned, cigarette in mouth. He spoke through his teeth.

"Fuck y'all. I'm just all about getting my dick wet."

Then he lit the cigarette and walked out of the store, never to be seen again.

Best scene ever.

Matthew Brown
11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Best scene ever.

Mitch is evil.

Arion
11-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I would, just so they can adjust their ordering

I guess I would too.

costello
11-05-2010, 09:15 PM
I was told by my comic shop that canceling a pull list isn't a problem when you're strictly getting commercial products (I only bought Marvel books). Things get tricky when you're getting things that are more independent and not as mainstream. Next time, man up. Don't fear confrontation--it isn't as bad as it feels it's going to be.