PDA

View Full Version : Two Days in Washington DC

Rod Nunley
10-08-2010, 08:50 AM
It looks like this November I will be in Washington DC for only two days. I will be pretty limited in what I can do. So my question is for anyone who's been there before.

What places do I have to visit. What is the thing I just cannot miss?

Gregory
10-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Air and Space Museum.
Holocaust Museum.
The Spy Museum is a MUST.
Korean War Memorial near the National Mall. Lincoln's memorial is a quick stroll away.

Brother Power the Gong
10-08-2010, 08:59 AM
It looks like this November I will be in Washington DC for only two days. I will be pretty limited in what I can do. So my question is for anyone who's been there before.

What places do I have to visit. What is the thing I just cannot miss?

In one day, you can hit the Mall and Smithsonian Museum of your choice, as well as stroll by the Capitol, Monument, Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, WW2 Memorial and the FDR Memorial (which is very cool).

Eat at Founding Farmers (near GWU) for at least one meal (try the $2 popcorn).

I always recommend walking through the various neighborhoods and checking the houses. Capitol Hill (which can be done with the sites above, plus there are eateries and bars galore) and Georgetown (the shopping/eating part is overrated, but lots of chains — the neighborhood itself is boss) are two of my favorites.

EDIT: Echoing Gregory, Korean War Memorial and the Spy Museum (you gotta pay) are pretty great.

Rod Nunley
10-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Awesome ideas. Thanks guys.

Now I just have to figure out which Smithsonian Museum to check out.

Brother Power the Gong
10-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Awesome ideas. Thanks guys.

Now I just have to figure out which Smithsonian Museum to check out.

Natural History
Air and Space
National Gallery

Walk through the Sculpture Garden and if it's not too crowded, go ice skating.

GelfXIII
10-08-2010, 09:02 AM
The American Indian Museum (which is only a couple of blocks from my office) has far and away the best cafeteria you've ever seen. Really good, unusual foods. And also the museum itself is pretty cool.

Gregory
10-08-2010, 09:04 AM
The American History Museum has a lot of pop-culture stuff too like Muppets and Star Wars and the signpost from MASH. If you have even a passing interest in American history, go there.

Brother Power the Gong
10-08-2010, 09:05 AM
And all of the Smithsonian is free, so if one doesn't tickle your fancy, you can break and go to the next one.

Rod Nunley
10-08-2010, 09:07 AM
The American History Museum has a lot of pop-culture stuff too like Muppets and Star Wars and the signpost from MASH. If you have even a passing interest in American history, go there.

Winner winner chicken dinner. :)

Rod Nunley
10-08-2010, 09:11 AM
The only part that is going to suck is that my wife hates the cold. So I imagine there will be a whole lot of pouting.