PDA

View Full Version : "A Song For A Son" is Smashing Pumpkins Best Song - Arguably

Big Poot!
10-05-2010, 10:32 AM
"A Song For A Son" on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic2dcp0wddw&feature=related

Billy Corgan plays half of the guitar solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxv9c9aGbuk

The lyrics are of his best, speaking of the son he's never had, and the journey he takes. The music is masterful, multiple guitars, pianos, etc. yet controlled. The guitar solo is among his best. (Though he has many best of those) The lyrics plus song make up the best of what the Smashing Pumpkins has always been, rivaling "Tonight, Tonight."

Please tell me how full of shit I am after you hear it. That's what Big Poot's here for! ;-)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ADby3ellN08/S1GETdIbPvI/AAAAAAAABGc/jkQ2mK4Gy24/s320/billy-corgan.jpg

Big Poot!
10-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I asked around at a recent Pumpkins live show, and no one I asked of about 10 groups had heard any new Smashing Pumpkins music. None from this decade. Strange when their music this decade is in some cases superior.

I guess it's the same online? And here? :mistrust:

DAVE
10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I asked around at a recent Pumpkins live show, and no one I asked of about 10 groups had heard any new Smashing Pumpkins music. None from this decade. Strange when their music this decade is in some cases superior.

I guess it's the same online? And here? :mistrust:

Yes.

RickLM
10-05-2010, 01:23 PM
My favorite SP song is Rocket.

Also, the shaved head look just isn't working for Corgan.

Jim Schnobrich
10-05-2010, 01:37 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite band and I've heard just about everything they've done. I love this band.

I think Song For A Son is good but I wouldn't say it's their best song. I think the drumming is a little clunky and it causes the entire song to sound a little stiff without the usual fluidity and drive they had when Jimmy was still in the band. I'm willing to cut Mike a little slack being as that was his first song with the group.

Shane W
10-05-2010, 01:56 PM
The correct answer is the first 5 minutes or so of Drown. Even the awful feedback at the end does not change the brilliance of the lyrical portion.

Big Poot!
10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite band and I've heard just about everything they've done. I love this band.

I think Song For A Son is good but I wouldn't say it's their best song. I think the drumming is a little clunky and it causes the entire song to sound a little stiff without the usual fluidity and drive they had when Jimmy was still in the band but I'm willing to cut Mike a little slack being as that was his first song with the group.

Me too.

I agree with your opinion on the drums. Though I saw Mike live and he is excellent. I think he's taking direction from Billy in the studio, is my guess. So he hasn't unlocked his full potential yet.

"A Song For A Son" is at least in TOP 5 Greatest Smashing Pumpkins Songs territory. I just wanted some conversation of the new stuff, the new decade, etc. The songs they've been giving away on www.smashingpumpkins.com is excellent, could be their best album in the making.

Jef UK
10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I choose to believe Smashing Pumpkins stopped making records after Melancholy. I'm happier that way.

Fake Captain Sensation
10-05-2010, 05:11 PM

I think Song For A Son is good but I wouldn't say it's their best song. I think the drumming is a little clunky and it causes the entire song to sound a little stiff without the usual fluidity and drive they had when Jimmy was still in the band but I'm willing to cut Mike a little slack being as that was his first song with the group.

you sound just like "true" Captain Sensation

ernster
10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
still like "soma" more. so, no.

Big Poot!
10-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I choose to believe Smashing Pumpkins stopped making records after Melancholy. I'm happier that way.

You see, you're wrong. You'd be happier if you didn't. ;)

Supreme Convoy
10-05-2010, 06:19 PM
It's always between "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979" for me.

simon trent
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Still love "Soma."

Jim Schnobrich
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
you sound just like "true" Captain Sensation

I don't know who that is.