PDA

View Full Version : Gail, allow me to introduce you to the Black Canary

brettc1
09-27-2010, 04:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dhKXqjoPUg

You will write a Birds of Prey live action script.

You will convince the PTB that Yvonne Strahovski is the perfect choice for Black Canary.

And these aren't the droids you're looking for. :Obione2::wave:

Thequeerjock
09-27-2010, 04:44 AM
......That's actually not a bad casting choice.

shrike
09-27-2010, 05:21 AM
get her to a gym for some training for a few months and yes, I agree.

AndrewCrossett
09-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Strahovski as Black Canary, Emanuelle Vaugier as Huntress, Rachel Nichols as Lady Blackhawk, and Dina Meyer as Oracle.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

K-DoG7p7
09-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Miranda Lawson can not be Black Canary! thats Umpossible!

Slewo.O
09-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Miranda Lawson can not be Black Canary! thats Umpossible!

Silence! He has spoken.

brettc1
09-27-2010, 05:58 AM
get her to a gym for some training for a few months and yes, I agree.

She carries herself pretty well in the fight sequences ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjSxlEomzw

brettc1
09-27-2010, 06:05 AM
What do you do when faced with an opponent who is faster abd more agile than you?

Eliminate their advantage. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68JE_XW_v0M&NR=1

MischiefMakerr
09-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Strahovski as Black Canary, Emanuelle Vaugier as Huntress, Rachel Nichols as Lady Blackhawk, and Dina Meyer as Oracle.

I'm really not a big Dina Meyer fan, however the rest of this casting, I think is perfect.

DarkKnightJared
09-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Replace Vauglier with Vanessa Ferlito and Mayer (who would confused the twelve people who saw the TV show) with Christina Hendricks and I'd see the hell out of that. :cool:

shrike
09-27-2010, 06:56 AM
She carries herself pretty well in the fight sequences ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjSxlEomzw

Nice! Well, it goes to show you I should watch more tv past Turner Classics. I totally didn't know who she was or what show she was on.

AndrewCrossett
09-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Replace Vauglier with Vanessa Ferlito and Mayer (who would confused the twelve people who saw the TV show) with Christina Hendricks and I'd see the hell out of that. :cool:

I choose Vaugier because I think her face looks more like Helena's as depicted in the comic. She's also a couple inches taller and more statuesque.

Dina Meyer was perfect as Barbara in the old TV show... she was the only good thing about the show, IMO, but I still think of her whenever I picture a live-action BoP in my head.

Superior Kiai
09-27-2010, 08:20 AM

You were doing so well until you hit Dina Meyer.

ScandalSavage
09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
She seems a bit young for a BoP era canary.

Dina Meyer was perfect as Oracle. Best Bat casting ever. She might be a decade beyond the part now.

shrike
09-27-2010, 09:11 AM
She seems a bit young for a BoP era canary.

Not really, the Lazarus Pit dip moved the clock back on her to about the physical age of 24.

AndrewCrossett
09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Dina Meyer was perfect as Oracle. Best Bat casting ever. She might be a decade beyond the part now.

She's a youthful-looking 41. I don't know what Barbara's exact age is, but that doesn't seem beyond the realm of plausibility. Especially since Babs comes across as the most mature of the group, and doesn't run and jump around and fight like the others, apart from the occasional escrima beatdown.

Ravenwing263
09-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Sarah Walker certainly reminds me a lot of Gail's Dinah. The combination of warmth and sheer kickassness is intensely rare. Besides these two, only a perfectly-written Dick Grayson shares these characteristics.

I think this montage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTblBav8mWU&NR=1) shows off how cool Strahovski is as Sarah is better then the first clip.

I have no specific choice for Helena but I'd love for her to be played by an actress of actual Italian descent.

brettc1
09-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Sarah Walker certainly reminds me a lot of Gail's Dinah. The combination of warmth and sheer kickassness is intensely rare. Besides these two, only a perfectly-written Dick Grayson shares these characteristics.

I think this montage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTblBav8mWU&NR=1) shows off how cool Strahovski is as Sarah is better then the first clip.

I have no specific choice for Helena but I'd love for her to be played by an actress of actual Italian descent.

Very nice, Ravenwing. I had not found that one but have now downloaded it :D

Strahovski is 26 this year, which is a good age to grab a lead actor since they have some longevity in the role if you want to do more than one movie. Also, lets face it its a young market for action movies based on superheroes and you want an actor that audience members aged 15-25 can relate to. It's not a hard and fast rule [Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark is well into his 30's, and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is no spring chicken] but its a good general guide.

Thequeerjock
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Very nice, Ravenwing. I had not found that one but have now downloaded it :D

Strahovski is 26 this year, which is a good age to grab a lead actor since they have some longevity in the role if you want to do more than one movie. Also, lets face it its a young market for action movies based on superheroes and you want an actor that audience members aged 15-25 can relate to. It's not a hard and fast rule [Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark is well into his 30's, and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is no spring chicken] but its a good general guide.

Yeah, her age doesn't seem too much of an issue.
Also agree that Meyer is a bit old now. Maybe a cameo though, as she was probably the best thing about that show.

My personal Oracle casting would be Emily Blunt.

DarkKnightJared
09-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I choose Vaugier because I think her face looks more like Helena's as depicted in the comic. She's also a couple inches taller and more statuesque.

Dina Meyer was perfect as Barbara in the old TV show... she was the only good thing about the show, IMO, but I still think of her whenever I picture a live-action BoP in my head.

And I chose Ferlito because she's beautiful, got a badass look about her, is an authentic Italian, and a great actress.

pseudicide
09-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I vote Kristanna Loken for Black Canary
http://jimmypalmiotti.blogspot.com/2010/09/kristanna-some-nice-photos.html

coveredinbees
09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Dina Meyer was super as Oracle and Lori Loughlin was a pretty Black Canary. Yvonne Strahovski would do.

DarkKnightJared
09-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I vote Kristanna Loken for Black Canary
http://jimmypalmiotti.blogspot.com/2010/09/kristanna-some-nice-photos.html

She's got the look, definitely--the only thing that stops me from saying she's right for it is the fact that her last big role was an emotionless robot and she's been in Uwe Boll movies ever since.

pseudicide
09-27-2010, 08:09 PM
She's got the look, definitely--the only thing that stops me from saying she's right for it is the fact that her last big role was an emotionless robot and she's been in Uwe Boll movies ever since.

Have you seen Painkiller Jane?

Tobias M
09-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Strahovski is an Aussie actress who went the normal soap route before leaving for Hollywood. Now she's got the nerdtastic Chuck under her belt, as well as the Mass Effect series....yeah I reckon she'd be a popular choice.

shrike
09-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Have you seen Painkiller Jane?

Yes, which pretty much shows why she should stick to emotionless robot roles.

Superior Kiai
09-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Actually, you know what:

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/img/o/r/Oracle_Barbara_Gordon_2.jpg http://tgusta.es/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/alyson.jpg

There's your Oracle!!

AndrewCrossett
09-28-2010, 05:23 AM
I'd never be able to watch Alyson Hannigan at a computer and not think, "Willow!"

pseudicide
09-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Yes, which pretty much shows why she should stick to emotionless robot roles.

Wow. Were you watching the same series I was??

Ravenwing263
11-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Thread necromancy!

I'm a week behind on most of my TV, and I just watched last week's Chuck which focuses majorly on Yvonne Strahovski's super-spy, Sarah Walker. Walker was on a quest to find Chuck himself, her partner and boyfriend, who had been kidnapped and trapped and stripped of all the sci-fi that allows him to be a super-spy in his own right.

This this happened. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLdlrXgrD3A)

Followed by this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE61OUHEO0w&feature=related)

I've certainly never seen a more Black Canary-ish series of actions by anyone in movies, ever. The part with the fight in the sand reminded me so strongly of Black Canary's fight on the beach against the Brother in Silk that I gasped.

ThiefKiller
12-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Thread necromancy!

Better to have left the thread dead than to post those links! Holy mother of crap, that was the most repugnant thing I've seen in quite a while, from the casual and insulting reference to Walker as a "blonde shemale" to watching a woman get brutally decked in the face (which doesn't so much as smear her makeup) only to have the Hot Guy and his Biiiig Guuuun come in to save her pretty little shemale ass.

Oh, and I assume the Super Nerd is her boyfriend, because hot blonde shemales just live to blow computer geeks. Does he run an Open Source Boob Project, too?

What utter and complete garbage this shit was. Gotta shower.

Ravenwing263
12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow, did you get that wrong.

Did you finish it? Did you see her win the fight? Big man and his gun or no?

Ridiculous.

ThiefKiller
12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Wow, did you get that wrong.

Did you finish it? Did you see her win the fight? Big man and his gun or no?

Ridiculous.

Yes, it was ridiculous.

Yes, I did see her "win" the fight. It is irrelevent to my point, so I fail to see why you bring it up, and further, it would not have happened if the man and his big ole gun hadn't SAVED her ass when she lost the fight. She would have been dead.

So no, I didn't get it wrong. That is what acutally happened. It's on film so it's a little hard to deny. (And how arrogant to think any interpretation but yours is wrong -- for a college boy you certainly haven't studied presenting your arguments much.)

Ravenwing263
12-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm afraid that I spoke too harsh in my first post, and I apologize. I was quite put off by your comment and I let it get to me in an inappropriate way.

I just cannot agree with your take, though. Perhaps it's related to my knowledge of the show versus your unfamiliarity with it, but I just think you're completely off-base. If you knew how many times Sarah (the blonde) had saved the life of Casey (the big guy with the gun) and Morgan (the little guy with the gun), I believe you would understand that this is an indication of Teamwork Is Good, not Women Can't Fight For Themselves. I believe that this is double indicated by the fact that she only "loses" when he cheats. Casey barging in stops his cheating, and resumes the match. And in that second round, when he attempts to cheat again, she is able to easily overcome him, winning the fight fairly despite his attempts to cheat.

The woman gets a one-second assist from her long-time friend and partner on a quest to save her dude in distress, and I think you're wrong to suggest that it's because of her gender that she needed an assist.

I just can't believe that a female character being assisted or saved my her male teammate is always an indication of sexism. That argument just seems to silly and limiting to me.

ThiefKiller
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I just can't believe that a female character being assisted or saved my her male teammate is always an indication of sexism. That argument just seems to silly and limiting to me.

Uh, yes. It is silly. And I did not make that argument. The word "always" did not even appear in the entire post, and I made no such claim of blanket sexism. Please do not make up things and attribute them to me. You are now discrediting an argument that only you put forth. That is foolish; to try and make it appear as though that is what *I*claimed is irresponsible, unethical, and downright disgusting behavior.

MacQuarrie
12-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Better to have left the thread dead than to post those links! Holy mother of crap, that was the most repugnant thing I've seen in quite a while, from the casual and insulting reference to Walker as a "blonde shemale" to watching a woman get brutally decked in the face (which doesn't so much as smear her makeup) only to have the Hot Guy and his Biiiig Guuuun come in to save her pretty little shemale ass.

Oh, and I assume the Super Nerd is her boyfriend, because hot blonde shemales just live to blow computer geeks. Does he run an Open Source Boob Project, too?

What utter and complete garbage this shit was. Gotta shower.
The guy who calls her a "shemale" is THE BAD GUY. Bad Guys often do Bad Things, including using inappropriate terms and insulting people. That's one of the ways we can tell they're Bad Guys. Context is a helpful thing.

The violence is pretty typical TV-fantasy violence; how many times has Black Canary been punched or kicked in the face and not lost any teeth or gotten a busted nose?

As for the rest, you really don't know what you're talking about.

The Super Nerd is her boyfriend now, but he wasn't for the first couple of seasons. She is his "handler"; he's an ordinary slob who accidentally got turned into a walking computer full of CIA data, making him a very important "asset" who constantly has to reach beyond his abilities and function as a spy despite being an amateur. For most of the show's run, their cover story was that they were dating, he was pining for her but believed she could never be interested in him, and she gradually came around despite herself. The guy with the big gun is her partner, a hard-core covert operative who grudgingly has to work with Super Nerd and hates it. His working relationship with Walker is a true partnership; she rescues him as much as he does her.

Again, context is a helpful thing.

Basing your criticism of an entire multi-year series on a couple of brief clips makes you look a little foolish, or at least like someone who has knee-jerk responses and jumps to conclusions.

ThiefKiller
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Basing your criticism of an entire multi-year series on a couple of brief clips makes you look a little foolish, or at least like someone who has knee-jerk responses and jumps to conclusions.

I was critiquing the brief clips, not the "entire multi-year series." I didn't say anything about the series -- perhaps you could point out where I did?

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Ravenwing263
12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
You see a seen where a woman is (temporarily) rescued by a man, and you refer to it as "the most repugnant thing I've seen in quite a while." Since you gave no details about why this particular story offended you, but made very general comments, it is not a leap for me to say that you are suggesting that the act of a woman character rescuing a man is in itself "repugnant."

"Watching a woman get brutally decked in the face (which doesn't so much as smear her makeup)" in an action-scene context is a problem for you? I find that hard to believe, honestly. I don't know why anyone who is as disgusted by sensationalized violence as you claim to be in your first post would ever read a comic book, let alone post it a comic books message board.

Ravenwing263
12-01-2010, 11:35 AM
The Super Nerd is her boyfriend now, but he wasn't for the first couple of seasons. She is his "handler"; he's an ordinary slob who accidentally got turned into a walking computer full of CIA data, making him a very important "asset" who constantly has to reach beyond his abilities and function as a spy despite being an amateur. For most of the show's run, their cover story was that they were dating, he was pining for her but believed she could never be interested in him, and she gradually came around despite herself. The guy with the big gun is her partner, a hard-core covert operative who grudgingly has to work with Super Nerd and hates it. His working relationship with Walker is a true partnership; she rescues him as much as he does her.

Is ThiefKiller even referring to Chuck as "Super Nerd"? I thought that the reference might have been to Morgan, actually.

Yeah, she rescues him constantly.

ThiefKiller
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't know why anyone who is as disgusted by sensationalized violence as you claim to be in your first post would ever read a comic book, let alone post it a comic books message board.

It's a good thing that I do, then.

Corrina
12-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Without snark, I ask why people are so interested in live action versions of comic book superheroes?

Is it so you can see an actress you like in a role you like?

Do you find something lacking in the comic version that somehow is fulfilled by the live screen version?

I ask because with only a couple of exceptions, I don't like live action superhero movies at all. I don't think they work in the real world, black leather uniforms or not, and it kills the suspension of disbelief I have in the comic book world.

Animated is another story. And I guess if James Cameron wanted to do a Birds of Prey and use his CGI foo, that might work. Avatar certainly looked amazing and fantastical.

I see these casting threads a lot and I always wonder what the point is. It's not like there's any sequence that could match, say, Gary Frank's intro of Black Canary in the very first mini-series, or the punch of Cheshire out of a helicopter by Shiva or...well, a zillion comic moments that will inevitably just not look right in live action.

Hugin
12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Because while comics are awesome, live-action can do things that comics can't. People want to see their favorite characters in that format as well as comics.

For example: Christian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcq3XkQpso&feature=related) Kane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2O8B-uGlw&feature=related) as Creote.

Corrina
12-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I think live action pretty much screws up the suspension of disbelief.

Batman swinging from the rooftops in comics is awesome.

In live action, it's just silly.

RobStaeger
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I agree. While I like a number of live-action superhero movies, only the very best of them give me the same thrill as a well-done comic. The casting threads are a fun diversion, but the results usually work better in the imagination, than on the screen

ThiefKiller
12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I think live action pretty much screws up the suspension of disbelief.

Batman swinging from the rooftops in comics is awesome.

In live action, it's just silly.

I never thought about it this way, but it's true in large part for me too. Take Batman Returns, largely thought of as the best of the Keaton-era Batman films: The action scenes leave me cold and yawning, but the scene where Selina and Bruce are dancing, with their dialogue, the music, the camera angles, and the tension, is compelling to me. ("Does this mean we have to start fighting?" notwithstanding ;) )

I never did understand why Catwoman was blonde in the movie, though.

Thequeerjock
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Without snark, I ask why people are so interested in live action versions of comic book superheroes?

At least for me, theres just never been anything to compare with a well done live action superhero film, especially when I was younger. I just don't think animation or comics can compete in regards to the sure wonderment and thrill I got from seeing Spider-Man actually swinging around and doing flips. It just isn't the same when looking at a cartoon. I mean, not to dump on animation, but I've already seen cartoon Spider-Man. It's not particularly impressive, at least not in the same way a l.a. film is. Not to get cheesy, but I've often heard people say Christopher Reeve's made them believe they could fly when they first saw him onscreen. To me, that's the appeal of live-action vs. animation. With animation, the spectacle just simply isn't there.

And I'd love a live action BOP movie at some point because I love the series, and I really think it would be awesome to have it exposed to a mainstream audience in a well done way.

ThiefKiller
12-02-2010, 07:01 AM
I just don't think animation or comics can compete in regards to the sure wonderment and thrill I got from seeing Spider-Man actually swinging around and doing flips.

Hmm, that's true for me, too. I'd forgotten that. That was one occasion where I was simply in the moment without wondering how they did it, critquing the special effects, or thinking it didn't look right.

Although remember the old live-action TV show with the painfully fake white rope? LOL. I think those moments are more common than the other kind.

I remember when X-Men (1) came out. I didn't like any of the representations of the characters' powers except for Cyclops's eyebeams. And honestly I think that was because the effect was so bright where it originated at his eyes that I couldn't see much.

It's been awhile since I have seen a superhero movie; any other cool (or really bad) moments?

Thequeerjock
12-02-2010, 07:13 AM
It's been awhile since I have seen a superhero movie; any other cool (or really bad) moments?

It gets a lot of shit for "trying to hard to seem cool", but I really enjoyed the two Nolan Batman movies. It doesn't really have a lot of those thrilling moments I had seeing Spider-Man, but they were both just very well done actions movies, at least IMO.

Iron Man was very well done from a SFX standpoint as well. I never once got the cheesey "Oh come on!" vibe I did from looking at Robocop or something.

Major Comma
12-02-2010, 07:43 AM

Is it so you can see an actress you like in a role you like?

Do you find something lacking in the comic version that somehow is fulfilled by the live screen version?

I ask because with only a couple of exceptions, I don't like live action superhero movies at all. I don't think they work in the real world, black leather uniforms or not, and it kills the suspension of disbelief I have in the comic book world.

Animated is another story. And I guess if James Cameron wanted to do a Birds of Prey and use his CGI foo, that might work. Avatar certainly looked amazing and fantastical.

I see these casting threads a lot and I always wonder what the point is. It's not like there's any sequence that could match, say, Gary Frank's intro of Black Canary in the very first mini-series, or the punch of Cheshire out of a helicopter by Shiva or...well, a zillion comic moments that will inevitably just not look right in live action.
I think Animation is an untapped venue for Superhero films .
I hear Pixar wants to do a Dr. Strange film.
That is a great idea IMO.
I think Animated would also be good idea for
a Sub Mariner film.
I think Hollywood is skittish about tackling Namor because it means filming underwater, which vastly increases the budget.
Not if you do it animated.

ThiefKiller
12-02-2010, 08:13 AM
It gets a lot of shit for "trying to hard to seem cool", but I really enjoyed the two Nolan Batman movies. It doesn't really have a lot of those thrilling moments I had seeing Spider-Man, but they were both just very well done actions movies, at least IMO.

Iron Man was very well done from a SFX standpoint as well. I never once got the cheesey "Oh come on!" vibe I did from looking at Robocop or something.

The Nolan Batman movies left me strangely cold. I didn't relate to the character at all for some reason. But yeah, enjoyable action flicks.

In Iron Man II, I experienced what I shall term "a Corrina moment" when my suspension of disbelief was utterly destroyed by the ultra-choreographed Black Widow Fight Scene. It looked nice, but only as a scene, if you know what I mean. This is a problem I often have with martial arts movies, too, especially when Our Hero is faced with a group of combatants and s/he takes them all down one by one, instead of them all just rushing Our Hero en masse and, I don't know, sitting on him or her into submission.