PDA

View Full Version : More DC shakeups. Report: DC Planning to 'Fire or Move' 80 Employees

PhilipClark
09-24-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-fire-move-employees-100924.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Newsaramasite+(Newsarama.com)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Following Tuesday's announcement of DC Entertainment's "bi-coastal realignment," filings with the New York State Department of Labor indicate that 80 employees will be either laid off or relocated.

Though parent company Warner Bros. did not comment on the ratio of layoffs to relocations or specific staff members affected in an article published Thursday by Bloomberg, the Sept. 22 filing shows that layoffs are scheduled from Dec. 27 to Aug. 27, 2011.

NickT
09-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Wouldn't a decent chunk of that be from Wildstorm?

Dood Lee
09-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Wouldn't a decent chunk of that be from Wildstorm?

Nope, Wildstorm isn't located in New York.

NickT
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Nope, Wildstorm isn't located in New York.
I know, they're in CA, but wouldn't they still be counted? Or is that literally just the NY offices?

Dood Lee
09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
I know, they're in CA, but wouldn't they still be counted? Or is that literally just the NY offices?

The filing was with the New York State Department of Labor, so I would assume that it pertains only to the DC employees in NY.

THWIP!
09-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Bye bye Vertigo.

Boris the Blade
09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Bye bye Vertigo.
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really fucking hope not.

I read about everything in the line.

The Hodag
09-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Bye bye Vertigo.

What makes you say that? Let's not spaz out here.

lonesomefool
09-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Bye bye Vertigo.

That would pretty much be fucking awful for the industry.

That being said, I'm not sure I see it. If only because Vertigo by all indications, while it's monthly comic book store sales may not be very strong, it's still a big money maker for DC in trade format both in LCS' and in bookstores.

This is terrible news for these employees and I dont mean to diminish their efforts when I say this, but the reason Wildstorm is going away is simple. They no longer had much to offer. The super hero comics there were doing were selling like crap and almost all of their "alternative" output like Astro City, Victorian Undead, the video game comics, could be folded into DC and DC wouldnt lose much money, hell sticking the DC label might help a few of those titles.

I still think Vertigo is profitable and still has a high enough profile they will be fine.

Spidey616
09-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Ouch

Slewo.O
09-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Man that's terrible for the employees. I hope they manage to find new jobs.

Jason California
09-24-2010, 07:37 PM
DC is not going to let them go until at least after Christmas. That is a decent move on their part.

THWIP!
09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
My post was a joke in tune with Wildstorm closing it's doors this week. Nothing more, nothing less.

I love Vertigo and to see it go would be a really fucking terrible. Not only do some of my favorite comics currently come out of that line, but some of my all time favorite comics are Vertigo comics and that line is one of the reasons I started reading comics to begin with. So I'll burn DC to the motherfucking ground if they get rid of Vertigo.

ERNIE_E
09-24-2010, 08:50 PM

I understood it as Wildstorm is closing down, meaning those who work in the La Jolla offices (just one city north of me), essentially San Diego, will be out of work. They still had some artists, graphic designers, and editorial for WS books out of La Jolla I believe. I wonder if this means that Jim Lee will now move up to LA. That guy travels so much I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

DC LA is going to be DC Entertainment related stuff so those people in NY who worked on the video games, movies, animated series etc. have the choice to move to Burbank or find work elsewhere.

So the 80 I believe comes all from the NY Offices. That's my speculation though.