PDA

View Full Version : Your Most Memorable Internet War

Gail Simone
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Tell, if you can without re-igniting it, of your most epic internet argument.

I've had several. :)

The funny thing is, when pros argue online, they usually work it out fairly quickly, but the ARGUMENT GOES ON WITHOUT THEM.

Brian Bendis and I have had a couple disagreements, we almost always worked them out by phone or email and forgot about them.

But they continued going for days!

BClayMoore
09-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Rick Remender and I once got into it with an artist on the Image boards. He was making fun of our "smart comic books," and how we thought his early 90s Image stuff was silly. It turned into one of those old, massive, multi-page things that used to happen more than they do now.

At one point writer Seth Peck (who has worked with both Rick and me) made some funny, dry comments about the artist in question.

It ended with the artist writing a battle rap dissing us (a serious, non-ironic battle rap).

The battle rap was ridiculous, but the thing that makes me laugh most: A year later Jason Aaron, Jason Latour, Jeremy Haun, Tony Moore, Seth Peck and I set up our Atomic Revolver "studio" on MySpace, and sent out a bunch of invitations. The group photo we used was from a Halloween party. I was dressed as a fanboy, Jason A was a priest, Tony was the devil and Haun was Mage. Seth was a soldier, wearing a U.S. Army helmet.

The artist emailed a reply to our invite saying, "Sorry, I won't be your friend. That guy in the army hat made fun of me a lot."

For whatever reason, the fact that he referred to a helmet as an "army hat" still makes me laugh.

Anyway, that original thread went on forever and probably made it into the late, lamented Fanboy Rampage. I don't do that anymore.

-BCM

Gail Simone
09-09-2010, 08:54 AM
I probably held up half of Fanboy Rampage by MYSELF.

I won't say I don't do it anymore. I still think there's some stuff worth arguing about, if called for.

Patrick Gerard
09-09-2010, 08:57 AM
I'd say it was in 2000 when a guy on an online super-hero RPG, who has an elaborate pagan cosmology based on Joseph Campbell and Jung, decided after I told him about a dream I had and hearing some of my own musings, that I was a silvery skinned alien changeling and the mortal incarnation of Loki. That I was a sleeper agent coming into a slow awareness of my true being and that I would help open a chaos portal that would swallow up Manhattan in a prophesied event in September of 2001.

We feuded for weeks and weeks. I've never been able to cut someone off whose views were a bit on the exotic side and it made running the game awkward, with each of us not talking or generally avoiding eachother for lengthy stretches. It wasn't JUST him, either, but his whole circle of practitioners.

I ran into him online a few times later and I think we were even staff, briefly, on the same game. I asked him if he blamed me for 9-11 and he said something to the effect that I'd distracted him with my silvery aura and my higher dimensional changeling magickal energy signature and that he mistook me for the real culprits. That I wasn't Loki or Coran or whatever other names he'd had for the entity he'd mistaken me for.

But he seemed more stable and happy and his son was getting married and he wasn't mad at me anymore so I let it drop.

That memorable enough for you...? :-)

Corrina
09-09-2010, 09:01 AM
It was a long time ago, on the Laurell K. Hamilton yahoo list.

I got out the flamethrowers on the idiots who said the author could do no wrong and the new direction to the series was wonderful and anybody who didn't agree was an idiot.

The resulting flamewar between the two sides was kinda fun.

It broke the list. Well, more properly, the new series direction broke the list. The list owner couldn't stand the new direction so she turned the ownership over and the new mods couldn't control it.

And I'd though the Jean-Claude/Richard feuds had been rough. In hindsight, that was just good clean fun.

Alas, though, feuds get tiresome after a day or two. I'm just not that interested in sustaining rage for so long.

Every now and then I get the urge,though. Then I leave the keyboard before I give in.

BClayMoore
09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I probably held up half of Fanboy Rampage by MYSELF.

I won't say I don't do it anymore. I still think there's some stuff worth arguing about, if called for.

What I try not to do now is push people's buttons and prolong debates. I try to swing things toward civility these days.

I really miss Fanboy Rampage.

-BCM

Patrick Gerard
09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh. And this guy pretty much saw Alan Moore as the devil and Grant Morrison as a kid playing with a hand grenade and avoided most of their work, interviews, and writing. Just in case you thought maybe that was where he got his ideas from. You couldn't discuss either of those guys without him getting into a tizzy and he wanted to ignore any work they did.

I think a lot of his views stemmed from his own unique brain chemistry (and he'd admit as much) and a comparative mythology focused Liberal Studies Master's.

Marcdachamp
09-09-2010, 09:26 AM
One of my first message boards ever was Superhero Hype. I basically started posting to defend Chuck Austen. Not because I was a huge fan of the man's work (although I do like some of it, honestly), but because the venom and maliciousness were disgusting. Just a ton of personal attacks that were totally uncalled for. So, I came to his defense.

Eventually, Bendis lost his "credit" with these guys, so I started defending him. At that point, I literally started hearing accusations from people that I was, in fact, Joe Quesada. Because we all know Quesada has nothing better to do than defend writers on Superhero Hype, right?

I ended up becoming really tired of it after a few years. I said eff it, and started posting here on the good 'ol Benbo. Never looked back.

Major Comma
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I was once accused of being A WB executive trying to spread disinformation about The Catwoman film in order to get people to see it.
I simply suggested the possibilty that Sharon Stone could be playing Selina Kyle gone bad in the movie .
I was managing my fathers Laundromat at the time.

Lester C.
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Bitching about what turned to be a massive fake-out by Gail Simone in her relaunched BOP run.:Oops:

Benel Germosen
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
There was this idiot on the DCMBs during Firestorm's run with Jamal Igle and Stuart Moore. It got so heated that they shut down the board.

Got another one where I received my first and only banning from the DCMB for getting into it with some racist moron over Blue Beetle.

Ah the internet.

Major Comma
09-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Somebody defended a racist over comments he made about Blue Beetle?
Dissapointing.

Benel Germosen
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Somebody defended a racist over comments he made about Blue Beetle?
Dissapointing.

This guy would spam the board talking about how the Blue Beetle should get deported because he was probably an immigrant. I pretty much had it with the guy and I just basically told him that he should have done the right thing and kissed the barrel of a shotgun.

ayhe
09-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Sometimes I visit the Dc Boards, and there are times I can´t believe what I´m reading O_O
The soap operas are nothing compared to some of the fiercy arguments I saw on the boards. http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/p/please.gif

scout1279
09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't think I've ever been in an internet war. Am I internetting wrong? Am I missing out on a vital internet experience?

I just bow out after the initial statement of opinion, since obviously I am right and everyone else is wrong.

buttler
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Most memorable for me would be the PAD/s_d debacle, just because it had the most lasting effect. But hooboy do I not want to get into any of that again.

Phantom Eagle
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
While I won't recount any personal bests here, I will say that gaming sites are usually the most welcome environments for internet idiocy of the highest sort: pic-spamming flame-baiting troll-killing good times and general silliness. Especially mods, total-conversions, stand-alones, and other backwaters of the FOSS FPS school.

Cheers.

Matt Doc Martin
09-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh, the stories I could tell....

Tom Stillwell
09-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Many years ago I helped found a message board dedicated to the PC game Freedom Force. The game itself is pretty nifty and it also a very moddable game. Despite the game being old the board still exists because of all the modding from fans. The site has grown to encompass a great many things geeky.

Anyway, back when the board was founded there was a very definite divide between those wanted things to be free wheeling with little admin activity and those that wanted a very structured board. I was with the free wheeling group. Mostly we were a pretty fun group of guys that didn't want our humor shackled by sticks in the mud.

There was a lot of sniping going on back and forth until eventually the guy who had put message board together, and had everything under his name, decided to take a powder. He was part of the free wheeling faction, as was I, and for some reason he gave me the keys to everything. The expectation was from the free wheeling crowd that it was better for me to kill the site than let the other side have control.

But I didn't do that. That made no sense. Fun was one thing, but this was destructive.

Instead I reached out to the other side, offered them the keys, in hopes that both sides could find common ground. I wanted the site to live so we all could enjoy it, not to mention the fact that there were hundreds of people not remotely involved with all the fighting that would miss the message board.

The other side offered to make me an admin. I accepted in order to heal he rift between the two groups. Instead the free wheelers hated me, called me a traitor, likened me to Hitler even. We tried to co-exist with them on the board but at every turn they causing discord. Eventually we were forced to ban them because of the trolling.

Oh, the drama. So silly a thing to fight over. These were not kids. These were all adults. Again, so silly.

Years later one of the free wheeling crowd came up to my table at a convention to introduce himself. To be honest I had forgotten him entirely. Here was this unassuming guy that had treated me with such hatred online standing awkwardly a foot away. I just shook his hand and smiled. He quickly retreated.

All in all it consumed way too much time and energy. I hope never to be part of something like that again.

Cam63
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Just the usual troll wankers.

Dream
09-09-2010, 06:39 PM
The Spider-man board on CBR is only for the fearless. Crawlspace is basically Stalin's Russia.

RachelEvil
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Y'see, there's this RPG, a pencil and paper one (if you don't know what that means, ask your parents), and it was pretty execrable. I mean, easily the worst game ever made. The rules were byzantine and insane, but that's not the worst part. The worst part isn't even that it was chock-full of completely juvenile sexual "humor", as well as pretty blatant misogyny. I think there was some racism and homophobia in there, too, but I don't recall exactly.

No, the worst part is that the ridiculously byzantine rules system actually combined with the juvenile and misogynist sex crap. I swear to you, there was a table in there to determine vaginal circumference. I am not joking or exaggerating.

To top all of this off, the author seemed to have some rather strident ideas about moral nihilism. You know, like a fifteen-year-old who read some quotes from Nietzsche and Crowley out of context.

So, let's set the stage, here. It was the late 90s, and I was frequenting an RPG board (which I still go to). Someone reviewed this... thing. The review was not favorable. So, of course, the author and a couple of his friends came to the board to defend this... thing (another, later, review would refer to it as an "affront to man and god.").

This sparked a little bit of, shall we say, heated debate. The author and company more or less decided to cheese off everybody on the board, in their attempts to defend the abomination. Myself included. So, that there was my first flamewar, and it was a big one. People still occasionally talk about it (and, sadly, subsequent flamewars that would continue to crop up around the game).

RachelEvil
09-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Also, I once got a guy to change his mind about transgender employment discrimination by calling him an asshole. Good times.

Kevin T Brown
09-09-2010, 07:40 PM
ANY political thread on ANY board at ANY time.

Benel Germosen
09-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Many years ago I helped found a message board dedicated to the PC game Freedom Force. The game itself is pretty nifty and it also a very moddable game. Despite the game being old the board still exists because of all the modding from fans. The site has grown to encompass a great many things geeky.

Anyway, back when the board was founded there was a very definite divide between those wanted things to be free wheeling with little admin activity and those that wanted a very structured board. I was with the free wheeling group. Mostly we were a pretty fun group of guys that didn't want our humor shackled by sticks in the mud.

There was a lot of sniping going on back and forth until eventually the guy who had put message board together, and had everything under his name, decided to take a powder. He was part of the free wheeling faction, as was I, and for some reason he gave me the keys to everything. The expectation was from the free wheeling crowd that it was better for me to kill the site than let the other side have control.

But I didn't do that. That made no sense. Fun was one thing, but this was destructive.

Instead I reached out to the other side, offered them the keys, in hopes that both sides could find common ground. I wanted the site to live so we all could enjoy it, not to mention the fact that there were hundreds of people not remotely involved with all the fighting that would miss the message board.

The other side offered to make me an admin. I accepted in order to heal he rift between the two groups. Instead the free wheelers hated me, called me a traitor, likened me to Hitler even. We tried to co-exist with them on the board but at every turn they causing discord. Eventually we were forced to ban them because of the trolling.

Oh, the drama. So silly a thing to fight over. These were not kids. These were all adults. Again, so silly.

Years later one of the free wheeling crowd came up to my table at a convention to introduce himself. To be honest I had forgotten him entirely. Here was this unassuming guy that had treated me with such hatred online standing awkwardly a foot away. I just shook his hand and smiled. He quickly retreated.

All in all it consumed way too much time and energy. I hope never to be part of something like that again.

Are you...are you...Obama?

The Xenos
09-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Oh lordy. I think I most remember this thread over at the Anime News Network board that went on for.. geez.. months... a year? It started with someone talking about 'OEL Manga' and how its market was doing. I, as well as others with varying degrees and views, argued that such a thing as this 'American / World Manga' just doesn't exist. We said the very idea was all just artificial marketing and really nothing substantial to brag about. It's not a separate market, it's all the same. Comics, manga, 'OEL manga'. It's all the same damn thing. Words and pictures on a page. Manga is the same medium as comics. It's not an art style, a format, a genre like they kept saying. It's just the Japanese word for comics. Eventually things got flamey, the mods got sick of getting notifications to delete comments and such, so the thread was closed. It was fun while it lasted though.

Phantom Eagle
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow on gamer boards you can usually get three to nine threads locked a day without getting banned if you're funny enough.

Then again, "sort by ping & stfu" is considered constructive and friendly advice on gamer boards.

Chris Jones
09-10-2010, 12:21 AM
I might be having it now on a different forum.

I've stated that I refuse to buy material from a particular band because the frontman most likely hold Fascist beliefs. Some nutcases are going at me pretty hard for it, one of them even insisting that I'm the Fascist, literally actually saying I have Fascist beliefs, for not supporting the band because...because I think one of them is Fascist...

Remember when Peter David claimed that boycotts were wrong on a basic moral level? This is like a more hilariously stupid and insane version of that.

Greygor
09-10-2010, 02:33 AM
y'see, there's this rpg, a pencil and paper one (if you don't know what that means, ask your parents), and it was pretty execrable. I mean, easily the worst game ever made. The rules were byzantine and insane, but that's not the worst part. The worst part isn't even that it was chock-full of completely juvenile sexual "humor", as well as pretty blatant misogyny. I think there was some racism and homophobia in there, too, but i don't recall exactly.

No, the worst part is that the ridiculously byzantine rules system actually combined with the juvenile and misogynist sex crap. I swear to you, there was a table in there to determine vaginal circumference. I am not joking or exaggerating.

To top all of this off, the author seemed to have some rather strident ideas about moral nihilism. You know, like a fifteen-year-old who read some quotes from nietzsche and crowley out of context.

So, let's set the stage, here. It was the late 90s, and i was frequenting an rpg board (which i still go to). Someone reviewed this... Thing. The review was not favorable. So, of course, the author and a couple of his friends came to the board to defend this... Thing (another, later, review would refer to it as an "affront to man and god.").

This sparked a little bit of, shall we say, heated debate. The author and company more or less decided to cheese off everybody on the board, in their attempts to defend the abomination. Myself included. So, that there was my first flamewar, and it was a big one. People still occasionally talk about it (and, sadly, subsequent flamewars that would continue to crop up around the game).

f.a.t.a.l.

HamsterRage
09-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Probably the biggest is the Rick Olney thing.

Before that I got into some silly minor shit with people... But I've grown up and out of it.

RachelEvil
09-10-2010, 05:36 AM
f.a.t.a.l.

Yeah, I was avoiding saying the name.

capntightpants
09-10-2010, 08:55 AM

:rofl:

Matt Doc Martin
09-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Probably the biggest is the Rick Olney thing.

Before that I got into some silly minor shit with people... But I've grown up and out of it.

Good on you!

c. page
09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
There is this woman named Gail something or other who regularly threatens me with violence. But it's all in good fun. I think she writes funny books or something.

Matt Doc Martin
09-10-2010, 04:35 PM
There is this woman named Gail something or other who regularly threatens me with violence. But it's all in good fun. I think she writes funny books or something.

She is also heavily armed.

The Funketeer
09-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I once sold some comics on eBay and got into it with a crazy psycho customer.

First he was pissed that I didn't ship the comics priority mail (his assumption, not in the listing) and left me negative feedback and a really obnoxious and profane message.

I countered with negative feedback which earned another profane response and more negative feedback.

Then I discovered that he was REALLY upset because he had already listed the comics he was buying for me to sell before actually having possession of them. He was going to read them and then ship them off again a day or two later but the time was all messed up. He also used the photograph and copied and pasted the text from my listing into his. I found out this was all against the rules and reported him for all three violations and his listing was cancelled by ebay.

This pissed him off even more and the was spilled out into the eBay message boards where he went on to complain about his predicament and tried to find someone to agree with him. No one would.

He later accused me of not shipping all the comics in the run and complained because out of all 36 or so issues, 4 of them were not written by Garth Ennis as stated (it was his Punisher run and I'll cop to that mistake but at this point I wasn't giving him anything).

Haven't sold anything on eBay since.

I'll also throw down with anyone who promotes or supports the work of Roman Polanski any time, any where.

Tyr
09-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Tell, if you can without re-igniting it, of your most epic internet argument.

I've had several. :)

The funny thing is, when pros argue online, they usually work it out fairly quickly, but the ARGUMENT GOES ON WITHOUT THEM.

Brian Bendis and I have had a couple disagreements, we almost always worked them out by phone or email and forgot about them.

But they continued going for days!

To be honest Gail, I'm surprised you actually have time and energy to fight over the internet, go to cons, play video games, and write comics. Do you even have time to eat breakfast?

I don't think I've ever been in an internet war. Am I internetting wrong? Am I missing out on a vital internet experience?

No your not missing much, they're more energy then they're worth.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
09-11-2010, 07:50 AM
This guy would spam the board talking about how the Blue Beetle should get deported because he was probably an immigrant. I pretty much had it with the guy and I just basically told him that he should have done the right thing and kissed the barrel of a shotgun.

Ah yes, I remember Ionfan. What a double-layer twatcake.

Benel Germosen
09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Ah yes, I remember Ionfan. What a double-layer twatcake.

I'm still there.

Amazingly, it's not the hive of scum and villainy it once was.

Gail Simone
09-11-2010, 10:47 AM

Every time I see your avatar I want to punch it with a chicken.

c. page
09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Every time I see your avatar I want to punch it with a chicken.

It's the lack of cat hat, isn't it?

Teal_Lantern
09-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Thinking on it, I just realized that I've never gotten into one. If someone's acting like an ass, I usually ignore them and just leave threads that turn to shitstorms.

DarkKnightJared
09-11-2010, 11:16 AM
None really come to mind--I remember there being drama on the Gamers board, that was the first one I ever went on, but nothing very memorable.

The Spider-man board on CBR is only for the fearless. Crawlspace is basically Stalin's Russia.

I'd say X-Men on CBR is a bit more scary--at least on Spider-Man you know the score and what will turn into a fight. X-Men is much more of a free for all.

And I've never had any or seen any conflicts with Crawlspace. It's in a lot of ways a lot more civil than the equivalent CBR forum, I feel.

And thus the flamewar about memorable flame wars have begun!

MacQuarrie
09-11-2010, 01:37 PM
This began around 1999. It happened on CBR.

As it happened, that was the year of the first "Camp CBR" at SDCC. This was a big group of people who all stayed together at the Campland By the Bay campground in Mission Bay. We had a big party on the beach, a dinner downtown, and lots of hanging out together at the con. Lots of fun for everyone.

A few months later, the Community Forum did their annual "Citizen of the Year" award, and since I was the organizing genius behind Camp CBR, I was getting a lot of votes. I was pleased and surprised to be acknowledged in this way, but then a dark cloud appeared.

All of a sudden one day, about a half-dozen people suddenly appeared on the site, posting really foul insults on every thread, most of which were abusive attacks aimed directly at me. They posted so much profanity and vulgarity that Jonah had to completely wipe the entire forum. Then it happened again. This went on for about three days.

It turned out that this band of little shits (see "Internet Anonymity") thought it was funny to find message boards, target them, and blast them with such a barrage of abuse that the owners would be forced to surrender and shut down the forums. They had their own website where they met to coordinate their attacks and choose their targets. They called themselves "the Monkey Alliance" (monkeys fling shit, you see), and they thought they were hilarious.

CBR withstood the attacks, and eventually the idiots got bored and went away.

Except for one of them. A guy called MushMouth decided he liked CBR, so he stuck around, knocked off the BS and became a regular.

Time passed.

CBR's 10th anniversary came along. Somebody starts a thread for people to post their CBR memories. Everyone is telling stories about how they found the site, why they stayed, what it meant to them, and it's a big happy thread. Then along comes MushMouth. He posts a smug, smirking little comment about how much fun he and his useless little asshole friends had trying to destroy the site years ago.

I was livid. I went insane. I went after this fucking troll with both barrels blazing. I ripped into him, not only for the bullshit he'd pulled years prior, but for having the arrogance and poor manners to come in and brag about it. I was furious.

Unfortunately, a good portion of the current members of the site hadn't been there when it happened. They didn't see what this asshole had said about me and to me. They didn't see what he had done to the site, the way all the forums had to be shut down and restarted twice. All they saw was me screaming at this guy. A lot of them tried to tell me to calm down and chill out, saying things about how it was a long time ago and I should let it go. They completely missed the point that it wasn't a long time ago; by bringing it up in this thread, he was still doing it. It was happening right now; this asshole was starting it up again, gloating about his behavior.

In trying to get that point across, I said a lot of things that people found insulting, such as suggesting that if they were going to side with an asshole, while he is in the middle of laughing about what an asshole he was, it was most likely because they were assholes too.

So I quit the Community forum. A couple years later I came back and apologized and started posting again. I later discovered that many people held resentment toward me for that. They were apparently fine with MuchMouth, since he was never stupid enough to apologize.

Remember kids, if you apologize, people will remember the apology, which means they will be reminded of what you did and they will hold it against you. If you never apologize, they will forget all about it and forgive you without you having to ask forgiveness. The one who apologizes will be remembered as the guilty party.

spidey_mon
09-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I usually get into unintentional wars, cause the other side feel I'm a blockhead, or acts like an airhead spitting nonsense, and they are too many to be counted

spidey_mon
09-11-2010, 01:59 PM
And I've never had any or seen any conflicts with Crawlspace. It's in a lot of ways a lot more civil than the equivalent CBR forum, I feelI haven't witnessed any wars there so long as I post, the two opposite poles are actually fun

Corrina
09-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Thinking on it, I just realized that I've never gotten into one. If someone's acting like an ass, I usually ignore them and just leave threads that turn to shitstorms.

See, this is why I didn't guess you were a teenager.

you're entirely too mature for your age. :)

And Mac, ah, it's instructive to know the origin of the supposed "Mac has a temper." That always confused me.

Teal_Lantern
09-11-2010, 02:34 PM
See, this is why I didn't guess you were a teenager.

you're entirely too mature for your age. :)

Thanks, but I'm not mature :D

Matt Doc Martin
09-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Remember kids, if you apologize, people will remember the apology, which means they will be reminded of what you did and they will hold it against you. If you never apologize, they will forget all about it and forgive you without you having to ask forgiveness. The one who apologizes will be remembered as the guilty party.

This depresses the hell out of me.

MacQuarrie
09-12-2010, 06:53 AM
This depresses the hell out of me.

Remember how Mom always said "Life's Not Fair"? This is just one of the many little things she was talking about.

shrike
09-12-2010, 07:05 AM
So many wars, so little time.

I don't tolerate dumbf*cks very well, so yes... I've been in a 'war' or two. Too many to pick a real good one as a prime example.

MacQuarrie
09-12-2010, 09:31 AM
And Mac, ah, it's instructive to know the origin of the supposed "Mac has a temper." That always confused me.

I don't have a temper; I have an overdeveloped sense of justice and an inability to control my righteous indignation when said sense of justice is violated.

HamsterRage
09-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I think apologies are always welcome as long as the person apologizing learns the damn lesson.

It's also helpful when granted a clean slate to not drag up old shut over and over again... Sadly some people will never learn.

Paploo
09-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Oh lordy. I think I most remember this thread over at the Anime News Network board that went on for.. geez.. months... a year? It started with someone talking about 'OEL Manga' and how its market was doing. I, as well as others with varying degrees and views, argued that such a thing as this 'American / World Manga' just doesn't exist. We said the very idea was all just artificial marketing and really nothing substantial to brag about. It's not a separate market, it's all the same. Comics, manga, 'OEL manga'. It's all the same damn thing. Words and pictures on a page. Manga is the same medium as comics. It's not an art style, a format, a genre like they kept saying. It's just the Japanese word for comics. Eventually things got flamey, the mods got sick of getting notifications to delete comments and such, so the thread was closed. It was fun while it lasted though.

ANN's generally nice, but when it finds something stupid [like say, random stupid posters jerky posts on death-announcement threads like Satoshi Kon's, or the constant underpants gnomes economics theory], it's generally an epic meltdown. You're probably among of the saner regular posters on ANN (though really, it's only a handful of posters doing most of the shenanigans, or the occasional influx of people who register just to be stupid, like the teens upset over a scanlaiton site closing).

I'd have to say any thread I've ever been involving piracy- over the years I've gotten pretty stern in my beliefs about copyright [fueled by the fact that people have generally gotten stupider about it...], though have tried to avoid it lately. It's always a headache- one anime subforum's harsh reaction to having their ability to post links to bootleg sites taken away lead me to leave it altogether- people just got way too personal/mean about it, and it made me way too stressed (and has still left me really uncomfortable about participating in comics fandom- which is why I'm glad that this forum has generally been a pretty positive one, and appreciate Gail's choice to move her forum). I miss the days when flamewars were mostly about Hal Jordan v. Kyle Rayner, not illegal activities or personally insulting creators.