PDA

View Full Version : Old favourites, elitist choices and new discoveries

stealthwise
09-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey, just wondering about something recently. I was thinking about all things pop culture and/or geekish, and realized that unless you're particularly long-lived, with tons of free time and no life, or both, you're likely still discovering things for the first time.

On the flip side, if you've been, say, reading comics or listening to a certain genre of music for a long period, you're probably hitting or have hit the phase where you're digging deep for the coolest, hottest edge stuff you can find. The things that go beyond the ordinary and try to push the outer limits and boundaries of what's acceptable and expected in the artform.

Conversely, you might also be getting into something that you never thought you'd care about or be interested in. What's new to you might be old-hat to many, but who cares as long as you're digging it right?

And finally, you might have a long-time interest and/or guilty pleasure that you just want to sit down and read/watch/listen to spasmodically in order to feel relaxed.

Just wondering if anyone else is the same way, really, and wanted to see what people were digging recently. I'll go first and offer examples to concretize my ramblings:

Elitist - Comics - I'm still getting into the indie stuff and found myself gravitating away from the standard superhero and even pseudo-indie action/adventure stuff in favour of various indie comics (usually of the non-auto-biography vein). Examples recently include Jim Rugg's Afrodisiac/Street Angel, Chadwick's Concrete (example of an old favourite for many being something new to me I suppose), Chew, and Asterios Polyp.

New Discoveries - Prose fiction - Sounds really odd, but I haven't sat down and consistently read novels or short stories in quite some time, preferring the fast read of comics or the less-consuming experiences of watching tv and movies. Been reading some Joe Hill stuff, Elmore Leonard, Donald E Westlake, some science fiction anthologies, and other random books from the library. It's strange to forget how satisfying a free read can be when you're able to make the time.

Old favourites - I find that I'm leaning towards 90s rock (grunge and metal mostly) and old faves like Metallica and Sevendust when I want to sit back and relax and not have to concentrate on anything (usually when driving).

How about ya'll? Anything new and cool you're finding? Old stuff you find comforting? Any esoteric findings in your searches?

Infra-Man
09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
New Interests
Luke Dittrich
Richard Brautigan
Norman Mailer's non-fiction
Molly McQuade
Jeff Lemire
Lucrecia Martel
Bebop
Max Richter
The Chameleons
Barry McGee

Old Comforts
Italo Calvino
Jorge Luis Borges
The Jam
Gang of Four
The Pillows
Northern soul
Assemblage art
Street art

Pretty much everything above is elitist or esoteric to some degree.

Weeto
09-04-2010, 03:28 PM
New Discoveries
----------------

CLiNT - Mark Miller's new comic magazine - pretty good.

Pizza Hut Buffet - £6.49 all you can eat! I thought I would have to pay more for a tiny pizza.

My Cocker Spaniel pup, Kiwi. He is a friendly, cute and very intelligent little dog.

Soccer Manager - A free online football management game. I've become manager of Juventus.

Old Favourites
--------------

Batman and Superman - I've started reading Batman and Superman comics again after intentionally ignoring them due to cost issues to keep down my comic count.

80s and 90s action movies - I can't get enough of the movies I loved as a kid.

Spectrum games - I play many of the great games from this old 8 bit computer through emulation. I have many of the games but many more are available online legally because the owners have allowed their use.

Dream
09-04-2010, 03:44 PM
New Interests
Sweet Tooth
Mike Carey
Xmen: Curse of the Mutants
New Spidergirl
Swamp Thing
Warren Ellis
The Walking Dead

Old Favorites
Captain America
Roger Stern
Mark Waid
Amazing Spider-man
We3
The Colbert Report

ZimMan2
09-04-2010, 04:36 PM
New Discoveries: Robert Kirkman, Lord of the Rings, and women's brains (yes, misogynists, they do exist and I find they are quite lovely).

Old Favorites: Godzilla, Weird Al, and former TFWIRe host Ryan Merkley.