PDA

View Full Version : Gail Simone

Gryphon
08-27-2010, 09:49 AM
And here we are. The last thread in the series, and could it be about any other creator?

Gail Simone, the most awesome figure in comics, who has done so many great stories that I will be surprised if people can pick just one as a favourite. But still I must ask, what do you like best about her writing? Favourite works? Least favourite?

I myself must say that Gail's unique blending of humour and action and drama make for some of the best stories Ive ever seen and secret six and agent x are two of the best comics ever.

Thank you all for reading this series of threads. The reason I did it was to count down until Fan Expo Canada, but I might do another series of threads at some point in the future.

Teal_Lantern
08-27-2010, 09:51 AM
and thank you for getting me into FreakAngels in a round about sort of way.

And I adore Secret Six and some of her Wonder Woman run.

Lester C.
08-27-2010, 10:09 AM
She is able to seamlessly blend in drama, action, comedy and character development in all her books. Has the superpower of not working with a bad artist or rather an artist whose work doesn't lend itself to the comic book medium.

She also writes the sexiest trinity of all time and no I'm not talking about Oracle, Black Canary and Huntress but rather my boys, Creote, Josh and Savant!:blah:

Thequeerjock
08-27-2010, 10:18 AM
With the exception of Wonder Woman, I've liked pretty much everything I've read by her. Secret Six is consistently one of the best books DC puts out, and so far, the first four issues of BOP have been stellar as well. I like the All-New Atom too.

Now Wonder Woman was a mixed bag. The more self contained stuff like the Wonder Woman: The Movie storyline and the cage fighter two-parter with Black Canary were awesome. I even liked the Circle, which is one of my personal favorite WW stories.

But the Rise of the Olympian and Warkiller were both crap. ROTO was far too drawn out, and as a whole, Achilles and his army are severely limited in what they can do in the DCU.

Lester C.
08-27-2010, 10:24 AM
I think a weakpoint in Gail's body of work is that she doesn't do so well with crossovers unless it is an in-book crossover separate from the rest of the DCU.

Gaelforce
08-27-2010, 10:34 AM
By far my favorite comic book writer, I've been a fan since she started writing BoP and I'm thrilled beyond words that that title is back (though I do hate that we lost her on WW for it!)

Gail has a knack for finding voices for characters and excels at making these four color, two-dimensional people into individuals who have their good times and bad, who are grim and humorous and who grow with each story. She turns costumed metas into human beings who the readers can relate to, and gives characters, both heroes and villains, real depth and motivations for their actions.

She brings supporting characters to life, from the unexpected gorilla knights to a hospital nurse (who I sorely miss), and even managed to get me liking Tom Tresser before he left the book. She gives them a reason to be in each panel in which they appear as opposed to just being plot devices or innocent bystanders for the heroes to rescue.

And somehow she's managed to make a group of villains, some of whom I never cared for under the pens of other writers, into likeable characters. I hated Bane in Batman but adore him in Secret Six, and I never in my wildest imaginations ever thought I'd be able to sympathize with someone like Rag Doll. As I said in another thread, I've been scared off of the idea of getting tattoos, but if I ever change my mind, I'm torn between Wonder Woman and Rag Doll.

Who'd have thunk it? :)

scout1279
08-27-2010, 10:47 AM
She is evil.

Seriously though, if I could name one thing all my favorite writers have in common (whether it's comics, novels, TV, whatever) it's that they are good at blending genres. Nothing they write is easily boxed into a category.

Gail Simone is one of the best in comics at this. She can write something completely hilarious and absolutely tragic, often at the same time (for example: pretty much everything Ragdoll says). She is gifted, and if I am ever critical of any of her comics, it's never because I am comparing it to the works of others, and always because I am comparing it the standard she's set for herself.

Plus she puts gorillas and half naked men in stuff all the time, and I love that crap.

Dark Galaxy
08-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I think Gail is smelly because she is a gurl.

And just because she sometimes writes good in the funny books, doesn't make her less smelly, or less of a gurl.

GURL!

Seriously Gail, you are a pro. You deserve everything that you have achieved. I'm proud of you and all you've done. Keep rocking sistah!

FanboyStranger
08-27-2010, 11:54 AM
My favorite is definitely Secret Six, a book where she actually made me care about Bane. Bane! I also have a soft spot for her Deadpool run because turning the Rhino into a key chain was a moment of genius.

Major Comma
08-27-2010, 12:51 PM
My favorite is her Wonder Woman work and I really miss it.
one of the things about Gails writing that is really great is the specificity with she writes her characters.
You find yourself craving the same food they like.
NowTHATS good writing!

Gryphon
08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
and thank you for getting me into FreakAngels in a round about sort of way.

And I adore Secret Six and some of her Wonder Woman run.

Im glad these threads helped.

Glenn
08-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Not too many writers can come in and make a comic their own but Gail did this with Birds of Prey. The story where she had Canary put together a team of the best martial arts experts in the DCU was the best story of the year. I read it over an over again.

Cam63
08-27-2010, 07:24 PM
I think Gail is smelly because she is a gurl.

And just because she sometimes writes good in the funny books, doesn't make her less smelly, or less of a gurl.

GURL!

Seriously Gail, you are a pro. You deserve everything that you have achieved. I'm proud of you and all you've done. Keep rocking sistah!

You have to ruin it, didn't you !?

ShaunN
08-28-2010, 03:19 AM
I only started reading Gail's stuff after she began writing Wonder Woman. Like many people, I think that her first story arc on WW, the Circle, absolutely knocked it out of the park. After that, the run (storywise) was a lot more mixed.

What Gail did do with Diana was absolutely capture the voice and the essence of the character. Whatever the shortcomings of the actual stories themselves, Diana as a person was practically a living, breathing entity. But I also think that WW brings out that tendency in most of the people who write her.

After hearing Gail was going to write WW, I went and bought some of the BoP trades. They were absolutely fantastic, and I'm overjoyed that Gail is back with a new BoP series. Again, the characters came to life in a way that is uncommon with even the best comics. As I said at the time, it's always a pleasure to read a great book the first time, and that is how I felt when I was reading the BoP trades. While I don't think this is her only strength, I do think that Gail has a particular ability to write "street-level" superheroes.

I think that Secret Six is easily one of DC's best comics right now. I also picked up the second issue of "Welcome to Tranquility" (the re-launch) and enjoyed it; I'm probably going to add the series to my list.

I am, with caveats, enjoying JMS's run on WW (but this is only his second issue and he is portraying, so far at least, a very different Diana than the one I consider to be the "real" one). I do hope, however, that Gail eventually has a chance to return to writing WW.

Gryphon
08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Not too many writers can come in and make a comic their own but Gail did this with Birds of Prey. The story where she had Canary put together a team of the best martial arts experts in the DCU was the best story of the year. I read it over an over again.

very true.

Tobias M
08-29-2010, 07:36 PM
I think a weakpoint in Gail's body of work is that she doesn't do so well with crossovers unless it is an in-book crossover separate from the rest of the DCU.

Actually I would argue Villains United was the best part of Infinite Crisis. Proved to be an opportune launching pad for Gail's Secret Six.

Major Comma
08-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Someday as a DC ongoing I would like to see The House of Secrets By Gail Simone.
Gail in a monthly horror series ,It would ROCK!

RobStaeger
08-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Gail's written the best Wonder Woman I've ever read, and her Secret Six fills the Suicide-Squad shaped hole in my heart.

Spiffy
12-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Spotted: Gail Simone in the 2007 Documentary (which I just saw for the first time today) "The Amazing Story of Superman". Talking about Lois, not the Big Red and Blue Boy Scout. (EDIT - okay, she shows up a second time in the documentary talking about why Superman is soooooo dreamy :lol: )

jesterwitch
12-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Her character creations & development. Hands down. Gail does the best she can to inject some sort of truth into all that she writes. It's what drew me to her & it's why I love and respect her & her work. :)

pseudicide
12-29-2010, 12:13 AM
She's alright, I suppose.

Honestly, I've re-read all her BoP trades over the last three days, and the intricacy of her story telling is just stunning, especially over the long term. I adore it so!!!

jesterwitch
12-29-2010, 12:31 AM
She's alright, I suppose.

Shun the non-believer! :scared: SHHHHHHHUUUUUUUNAAAAH. :)

pseudicide
12-29-2010, 02:19 AM
Shun the non-believer! :scared: SHHHHHHHUUUUUUUNAAAAH. :)

Read my hidden text!!

All right i'll admit it in the open. I'm a Gail minion!! We have badges and everything!!! She is my dark puppetmaster!!!

Alan Lynch
12-29-2010, 04:55 AM
It's less noticable now that there are other high-profile books doing it, but I remember when Gail's ability to make being a superhero look fun was genuinely different. Most of the other Big Two books were miserable, so Gail's stood out a mile. Even when there's shitty stuff happening to the characters involved, I can't remember finding any of her books lacking in fun. I imagine that's a hard thing to keep up, so kudos indeed.

ZimMan2
12-29-2010, 08:05 AM
*Armors up*

I... still haven't gotten around to reading her stuff yet.

Go ahead and trow down my lazy ass.

stealthwise
12-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Deadpool vs Punisher!

Mini-Rhino!

Agent X! (still pissed that Way or whoever it was hooked up Sandi and Agent X well before they should have been)

Birds of Prey, especially Sensei/Student and the crossover with...

SECRET SIX!

jesterwitch
12-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Read my hidden text!!

All right i'll admit it in the open. I'm a Gail minion!! We have badges and everything!!! She is my dark puppetmaster!!!

LOL! I did. Just teasing yas! ;D

Thequeerjock
12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
She's created some of my favorite characters.

Black Alice has really grown on me, and Ragoll and Jeanette both = Da shit. I'm also looking forward to more Tremor!

She also created Misfit....but I can forgive that.

Gail Simone
12-30-2010, 04:21 PM
With the exception of Wonder Woman, I've liked pretty much everything I've read by her. Secret Six is consistently one of the best books DC puts out, and so far, the first four issues of BOP have been stellar as well. I like the All-New Atom too.

Now Wonder Woman was a mixed bag. The more self contained stuff like the Wonder Woman: The Movie storyline and the cage fighter two-parter with Black Canary were awesome. I even liked the Circle, which is one of my personal favorite WW stories.

But the Rise of the Olympian and Warkiller were both crap. ROTO was far too drawn out, and as a whole, Achilles and his army are severely limited in what they can do in the DCU.

I think Roto was too long as well, that was inexplicably drawn out over my strenuous objections. I love a lot of that story, there's wonderful things in it.

But it should have been six issues total.

And the Circle is my favorite Wonder Woman story I wrote, but the one I ENJOYED the most was Ends of the Earth, that was just a ridiculous blast to write. :)

Gail Simone
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
By far my favorite comic book writer, I've been a fan since she started writing BoP and I'm thrilled beyond words that that title is back (though I do hate that we lost her on WW for it!)

Gail has a knack for finding voices for characters and excels at making these four color, two-dimensional people into individuals who have their good times and bad, who are grim and humorous and who grow with each story. She turns costumed metas into human beings who the readers can relate to, and gives characters, both heroes and villains, real depth and motivations for their actions.

She brings supporting characters to life, from the unexpected gorilla knights to a hospital nurse (who I sorely miss), and even managed to get me liking Tom Tresser before he left the book. She gives them a reason to be in each panel in which they appear as opposed to just being plot devices or innocent bystanders for the heroes to rescue.

And somehow she's managed to make a group of villains, some of whom I never cared for under the pens of other writers, into likeable characters. I hated Bane in Batman but adore him in Secret Six, and I never in my wildest imaginations ever thought I'd be able to sympathize with someone like Rag Doll. As I said in another thread, I've been scared off of the idea of getting tattoos, but if I ever change my mind, I'm torn between Wonder Woman and Rag Doll.

Who'd have thunk it? :)

Thank you to everyone for all the kind words from everyone, as well as the civil criticism.

The above post struck me because it spotlights something I believe is disappearing a little bit in comics...we have so many comics that are essentially Hero A fights Villain B, that we often miss the ridiculously wonderful character interaction that hooked us in the first place. I don't think, for example, a supporting cast as varied and interesting as Superman's or Spider-man's could be created in an average comic any more. And I think that lowers the suspense and tension considerably.

I get the complaint, leveled by JMS and others, that you can focus too much on those characters, and that may be entirely fair. But just in Wonder Woman, you had Tamika, Tom, Hippolyta, Etta, Donna, the Gorilla Knights, and more, and they had their small spotlights, and I feel they really show what Diana is all about.

I have two pet peeves in a lot of current comics; bad characterization, and bad dialogue. By 'bad,' what I mostly mean is boring, banal. I don't read comics for dreary, uninteresting, uninspired dialogue.

Which is why I love guys like Paul Cornell, Ed Brubaker, those kinds of guys. They always keep me reading!

ayhe
12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
From what I read so far in some of the Secret Six and BoP issues, is liked her ability of balancing the elements . You can taste mystery, drama, and even romance and you won´t feel like you are tasted something sickly sweet.

Gail Simone
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Thank you!

That is my personal favorite Bop story, actually. That artist has a project he has dreamed of for years, and he has honored me by trusting me to write it. We are trying to work out the details now!

Gail Simone
12-30-2010, 04:32 PM
*Armors up*

I... still haven't gotten around to reading her stuff yet.

Go ahead and trow down my lazy ass.

Sweetie, it's fine, it was never supposed to be a message board about me, specifically. :)

Cam63
12-30-2010, 04:33 PM
'Needs more 'Strayans.

pseudicide
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
'Needs more 'Strayans.

Exactly. I feel we're very under-represented in her books. Gail! Fix this! Or have the six ride cybernetic roos to a mission :)

Gryphon
12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Any news about your upcoming project with Ethan Van Sciver?

ScandalSavage
12-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Oh. Her. I suppose she writes okay. FOR A GIRL. :lol:

One of the best dialogue writers in comics. Definitely the best at DC.

Able to create new, interesting characters and take third-rate characters, reinvent them, and make them interesting.

Writes the best team book at DC right now, Secret Six.

And she's funny. Very funny. Not with stupid infantile jokes but with absurdist dialogue and visuals that make you look at the panel twice to see if she said/did what you think she said/did.

And she's reliable. I don't think people give her enough credit for that. Books aren't late. Stories get tied up. In a year where we've seen some major relaunches and arcs messed up because of missed deadlines, I think it's important to note it.

Cam63
12-31-2010, 06:40 AM
Exactly. I feel we're very under-represented in her books. Gail! Fix this! Or have the six ride cybernetic roos to a mission :)

Secret Six guest star... CHOPPER !

DungeonMasterJim
12-31-2010, 09:06 AM
I like unpredictable characters so I think Rose & Thorn may have been my favorite work by Gail. I still think it's totally fucked up that the villain set herself on fire as part of an escape plan. That always stuck with me and still kinda gives me the willies.

I also enjoy her Birds of Prey. I'm not much of a DC fan but I'll read and enjoy Birds. Only budget constraints have stopped me from reading her current run.

Gail surprises me with some of her ideas so I appreciate that as a reader. I still crack up over Penguin with a love sick delusion with the Birds. And it's pretty hard to argue with Giganta running around at full giant size completely naked.

For some reason, I totally disconnect with some of her writings though. Even though I enjoyed Giganta in Atom I labored through a couple of issues before ditching the title entirely. I also found Wonder Woman to be an utter borefest. Some of the ideas were neat but others and mainly the characters overall, I just couldn't connect with. And that made the story arc unreadable for me.

DM Jim

Gail Simone
12-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Any news about your upcoming project with Ethan Van Sciver?

Yes!

Lots!

sonofbaldwin
12-31-2010, 01:17 PM
I don't have the words to describe how incredible a writer Gail is, but I do have the pictures:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/47/l_ac30f49adbb24bdeb93633043ff2151c.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/144/l_314e6e1b0aac4f26bb2bfc349466356a.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/132/l_af53252da3454581bdfcf42179e1ebe2.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/5/l_62557b623aec4275b8f1dc416113b351.jpg

sonofbaldwin
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/73/l_088b3cece1da4de5abdc476e495d13e8.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1253651456.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/75/l_fac4982fc13641bcae4ee554e735247a.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/89/l_f1667e7d1a944600a6c472a91476fefb.jpg

Gail Simone
12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow, Bobby.

That's weird, you chose some of my all-time favorite pages!

Get OUT of my HEAD!

stealthwise
12-31-2010, 01:43 PM
The Wonder Woman pages are awesome. I'm starting to wish I hadn't dropped the run after the first six or so issues.

sonofbaldwin
12-31-2010, 01:47 PM
The Wonder Woman pages are awesome. I'm starting to wish I hadn't dropped the run after the first six or so issues.

Buy this:

Wonder Woman: Contagion

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kdur7oZCL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Contagion-Graphic-Novels/dp/1401229204/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293835544&sr=1-13

stealthwise
12-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Buy this:

Wonder Woman: Contagion

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kdur7oZCL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Contagion-Graphic-Novels/dp/1401229204/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293835544&sr=1-13

Wow, those reviews are NOT kind to that volume.

sonofbaldwin
12-31-2010, 02:01 PM

I'm telling you: The last arc, drawn by Ms. Fabulous Nicola Scott, is worth the price of admission.

Gail Simone
12-31-2010, 02:13 PM

A couple of those weirdos have been following me around for the last two years.

I'm used to it. :)

stealthwise
12-31-2010, 02:23 PM

Ah, that makes more sense. People generally fall closer to the middle when reviewing works on amazon, rather than the extreme of a 1 out of 5.

My thinking would be to get the issues I've missed in trade and work my way up to the end. It's not as though they cost that much, although I'm still irked at how long DC takes to issue its trades.

Forheiszombie
12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
I could post some long post as to why I look forward to Gail's comics each month, but in all reality, the reason why I read her books can be summed up in three words

"ARTHUR CURRY'S FISHSACK!"

Cam63
12-31-2010, 02:50 PM

The clubhouse meetings would be special.

Benel Germosen
12-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Gail Simone once lit me on fire.

So yeah.

shrike
01-01-2011, 07:00 AM

*smells a piece of Gail's hair then returns it to the home crafted altar that is full of Gail memorabilia*

I have no clue what you are talking about.

Gryphon
01-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes!

Lots!

Can you share any here?

pseudicide
01-01-2011, 02:44 PM

And then there are those other weirdos who follow you around
:shifty:

Cam63
01-01-2011, 03:49 PM
*Takes off stealth cloak and walks off swearing*