PDA

View Full Version : Who wrote a character the best?

Dream
08-23-2010, 12:39 PM
In your opinion, what writer wrote a certain character the best? And we're not necessarily talking about a story, just characterization. A firm understanding of the character and his or her attributes.

Here are a couple of mine:

Superman- Grant Morrison
Wally West- Mark Waid
Catman- Gail Simone
Deadpool- Joe Kelly
Luke Cage- Bendis

Spiderman-.... Is a bit of a tough one for me. As many of you know, I'm a huge Peter Parker fan. And he's had several great writers who wrote him well. Roger Stern, Stan Lee, J. M. DeMatteis, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, Dan Slott, Joe Kelly, all wrote him well. But I'm going to have to say JMS. Even though I disagreed with some of his stories, his Peter Parker was always pitch perfect to me.

ZimMan2
08-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Any Batman character- Paul Dini.

Dream
08-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Actually when it comes to Batman and his universe:

Bruce Wayne- Grant Morrison
Catwoman- Jeph Loeb
Tim Drake- Chuck Dixon
Stephanie Brown- Brian Miller
Jason Todd- Judd Winick
The Joker- Grant Morrison
Dick Grayson- Grant Morrison
Barbara Gordon- Gail Simone
Jim Gordon- Frank Miller
Damian Wayne- Grant Morrison
Two-Face- Jeph Loeb

Dreg
08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Wolverine- Jason Aaron and Fred Van Lente.
Wally West- Mark Waid
Hal Jordan- Keith Giffen, Gerard Jones, and Jim Owsley (The Emerald Dawn team)
Superman- Alan Moore
Spider-man (616)- Stan Lee
X-Men- Morrison

Personamanx
08-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Brian K Vaughn for basically every original character from "Runaways". Not shitting on most of the other guys but BKV could get all of them right on cue while no other writer could get more than half of them down in their short runs.

Darque_Angel
08-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Daredevil-Frank Miller
Black Canary -Gail
Huntress -Gail
Babs-Gail
The Avengers - Busiek
The X-Men Claremont & Byrne
The Legion Levitz/Giffen
Titans- Wolfmen Perez
Green Lantern/Green Arrow- O'Neil

Dream
08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Brian K Vaughn for basically every original character from "Runaways". Not shitting on most of the other guys but BKV could get all of them right on cue while no other writer could get more than half of them down in their short runs.

Wholly agreed.

Green Arrow- Mike Grell
Daredevil- Brian Bendis
Connor Kent- Geoff Johns
Sinestro- Geoff Johns
Hush- Paul Dini
Bruce Banner- Peter David

Gryphon
08-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Captain Britain- Alan Davis

Adam Warlock - Jim Starlin

Thor - Walter Simonson

Punisher - Garth Ennis

Captain Mar-Vell- Jim Starlin

Thanos - Starlin again

Ares - Oeming

Superior Kiai
08-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Ed Brubaker wrote the meanest, greatest Catwoman I've ever read in my life.

Loeb is a pretty close second, though.

Gryphon
08-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Fantastic Four - John Byrne

Dream
08-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Fantastic Four - John Byrne

I'm actually going to say Mark Waid here. I will concede Byrne wrote a better Doom though.

Personamanx
08-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Wholly agreed.

I think if they had longer runs their characterizations would have improved, but really..... BKV had the only run the book has ever had. With the exception of Moore's two arcs so far we've only had single story arcs from creators.

Teal_Lantern
08-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Brubaker writes the best Bucky I've seen, Sharon Carter, too.

Gryphon
08-23-2010, 03:14 PM
In your opinion, what writer wrote a certain character the best? And we're not necessarily talking about a story, just characterization. A firm understanding of the character and his or her attributes.

Here are a couple of mine:

Superman- Grant Morrison
Wally West- Mark Waid
Catman- Gail Simone
Deadpool- Joe Kelly
Luke Cage- Bendis

Spiderman-.... Is a bit of a tough one for me. As many of you know, I'm a huge Peter Parker fan. And he's had several great writers who wrote him well. Roger Stern, Stan Lee, J. M. DeMatteis, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, Dan Slott, Joe Kelly, all wrote him well. But I'm going to have to say JMS. Even though I disagreed with some of his stories, his Peter Parker was always pitch perfect to me.

I was surprised at first that you said JMS but then I came to see your point. While he ignored most of the supporting cast, he really examined the peter parker character, almost in a deconstructive way.

Gryphon
08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm actually going to say Mark Waid here. I will concede Byrne wrote a better Doom though.

Yeah, doom wasnt really a matter you can object over. Byrne really had a firm mastery of the character.

Dream
08-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I think if they had longer runs their characterizations would have improved, but really..... BKV had the only run the book has ever had. With the exception of Moore's two arcs so far we've only had single story arcs from creators.

Sound point. It's really a shame that no one can get a good hold on that book.

Brubaker writes the best Bucky I've seen, Sharon Carter, too.

I think Brubaker writes Steve Rogers the best as well. I prefer him over Waid, Gruenwald, Bendis, and Millar.

Warren Ellis writes a great Tony Stark.

I'm also going to say JMS for Mary-Jane.

J.M. DeMatteis for Kraven.

Mark Waid for Electro.

Zeb Wells for the Lizard.

Joe Kelly for the Rhino.

Dream
08-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I was surprised at first that you said JMS but then I came to see your point. While he ignored most of the supporting cast, he really examined the peter parker character, almost in a deconstructive way.

Well yeah- Though I felt many of the villains JMS created were uninspired, some of his stories horrid, and could do without the Other powers- I felt he had a firm understanding of Peter and what he's about.

Personamanx
08-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Joss Whedon wrote the best Cyclops.

Personamanx
08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Sound point. It's really a shame that no one can get a good hold on that book.

I think it's just that no writer has been able to get the sales high enough on the book to keep it in a safe zone Saleswise so Marvel tries to boost sales up with a Creative team change that only delays the inevitable cancelation. I mean Moore was supposed to be on the book for at least twelve issues and the only reason I see as to why he was taken off was because the sales were dropping like a rock in a well.

Gryphon
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Alan Moore - swamp thing.

Teal_Lantern
08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I think Brubaker writes Steve Rogers the best as well. I prefer him over Waid, Gruenwald, Bendis, and Millar.

I would have said Steve, too. But truth be told, I've never actually read a lot of other writer's takes, besides some of the older stuff, which is odd as he's a favourite.

Superior Kiai
08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Gail does a great Black Canary.

Greg Rucka an awesome Huntress.

They both are tied for best Wonder Woman, with George Perez in a close second.

Tobias M
08-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Better than Moore, Ellis or Cornell?

Gryphon
08-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Better than Moore, Ellis or Cornell?
I will admit moore's writing was amazing, but the reason I chose Davis was that he was part of the character for much longer and had more of an impact.

jason hissong
08-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Kabuki- David Mack ;-)

Legion of Superheroes - DnA

Mopheus- Neil Giaman

Tobias M
08-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I will admit moore's writing was amazing, but the reason I chose Davis was that he was part of the character for much longer and had more of an impact.

Fair enough, taste is a personal thing.

pseudicide
08-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Gail does a great Black Canary.

Greg Rucka an awesome Huntress.

They both are tied for best Wonder Woman, with George Perez in a close second.

I'm with you on these. I also think Gail and Zinda are a great combo, and I love her Cheshire above ALL OTHERS.
http://gailsimone.tumblr.com/post/798545714/the-courting-of-catman-cheshire-edition

I also think that Palmiotti and Gray KILL at writing Powergirl. The sense of humour they give her is just perfect.

Mimick
08-24-2010, 03:09 AM
GL Kyle Raynor - Ron Marz, Judd Winick

Superman - John Byrne

Batman - Frank Miller, Denny O'Neil

She-Hulk - John Byrne

Avengers - Brian Bendis

Daredevil - Frank Miller

Thor - J. Michael Straczynski

adam_warlock_2099
08-24-2010, 04:42 AM

Adam Warlock - Jim Starlin

Thor - Walter Simonson

Punisher - Garth Ennis

Captain Mar-Vell- Jim Starlin

Thanos - Starlin again

Ares - Oeming

I haven't read any Cap Britain or Ares, otherwise I agree 100% with this list.

I'd add Jim Starlin's Dreadstar too, as any issues after his writing were lost to me.

And Jim Starlin's Spiderman is necessairly the best, but he someone how always manages to fit him a role amongst other cosmic characters despite his pathetically low power levels when compared to the rest.

Like his role in defeating the "Galactus" Thanos clone in Infinity Abyss. :D

Swamp Thing -- Len Wein

capntightpants
08-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Also, BKV created them. So there's that.

Corrina
08-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Superman--Cary Bates

Batman--Denny O'Neil

(What can I say? I'm old school. And I think Doug Moench's Batman is criminally underrated.)

Black Canary--Gail

Tim Drake--Chuck Dixon

Nightwing--Marv Wolfman

Catwoman--have to say Darwyn Cooke, if only for Selina's Big Score. Every writer who tackles Selina Kyle from now on should read that book. Second place would be Ed Brubaker.

Hal Jordan--Darwyn Cooke again. Heck, he's the only writer who ever got me interested in the character.

Aquaman--Peter David

Gryphon
08-24-2010, 09:32 AM
PAD's aquaman needs collctions.