PDA

View Full Version : That was amazing - Pink Floyd

Bill!
07-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Unbelievable. Every other band pales in comparison. They didn't miss a beat. What an amazing set. I don't really have anything else to say. I'm moved.

Jonny Z
07-02-2005, 02:27 PM
i'll echo your sentiments. god they really need to tour just once. i don't care how much they don't get along. people who hate eachother work together all the friggin time

NickT
07-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Not really a fan, but that was a good set. I thought the Who and McCartney/U2 were best myself though.

Shwicaz
07-02-2005, 02:28 PM
wonder how long before they sell a DVD of this.

not long, I would imagine.

Dannñ B
07-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Respect.

Girlfriend In A Coma
07-02-2005, 02:32 PM
What's the attraction with Pink Floyd? This is not me being sarcastic or anything. My husband bought "Wish You Were Here" yesterday and made me listen to some of it. I wanted to jump out of the car window by the time it got to the title track....I must really be missing something.

I am curious though what it is that people like about 'em...

Bill!
07-02-2005, 02:33 PM
What's the attraction with Pink Floyd? This is not me being sarcastic or anything. My husband bought "Wish You Were Here" yesterday and made me listen to some of it. I wanted to jump out of the car window by the time it got to the title track....I must really be missing something.

It's not your normal everyday music. Listen to the Wall all the way through, or Dark Side of the Moon. Two of the best albums ever written.

Allen Y
07-02-2005, 02:35 PM
That was indeed an amazing moment, one that I was glad I could watch.

Allen

Girlfriend In A Coma
07-02-2005, 02:36 PM
It's not your normal everyday music. Listen to the Wall all the way through, or Dark Side of the Moon. Two of the best albums ever written.

I'll be fair and give 'em a try.
I've never really paid a lot of attention to them so maybe it really is just a bad first impression.

Rod Nunley
07-02-2005, 02:38 PM

Well, not being sarcastic either, you either "get it" or you don't. People who don't "get" Pink Floyd confuse me.

Mister Mets
07-02-2005, 02:38 PM

I'd buy it.

And Pink Floyd kciked ass.

Thudpucker
07-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Waters hasn't lost anything, he still sounds as good now as he did 20 years ago.

God I love Floyd so much.

Supajoe
07-02-2005, 02:45 PM
damn, that kicked so much ass.

who cares?
07-02-2005, 02:48 PM
i was speechless when it was over....

i would seriously buy a DVD of just those 4 songs...

i would pay $500 to see them in concert if the concert is like that....

fuck, that performance sent chills down my spine....

PeterSparker
07-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Gilmour brought his "A" game for sure, and they were amazing!

So often when you say "wouldn't it be cool if...." and then when it happens you're like meh, this was the exact opposite. It was better than I would've thought. And clearly they were enjoying themselves, so who knows what it might lead to...

..becuase when they broke it down during the middle part of 'Money' that was Pink Floyd! Holy smokes!

(and I love that Syd got love) :heart:

Movie Maker
07-02-2005, 02:58 PM
id buy a dvd of this because the coverage sucked ass. i didnt get to see like any band i wanted to see.

greg donovan
07-02-2005, 03:06 PM
id buy a dvd of this because the coverage sucked ass. i didnt get to see like any band i wanted to see.

holy shit, movie maker said he would buy something! mark this day folks.

Mr. E!
07-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Well, it took 19 1/2 years to get the 1st concert out on DVD...

NickT
07-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Well, it took 19 1/2 years to get the 1st concert out on DVD...
To be fair, DVDs weren't around in 1985 ;)

RichJohnston
07-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Pink Floyd, McCartney/U2, Scissor Sisters, Snoop, Travis and Robbie Williams were fantabulous.

But Walliams/Lucas, French, Henry, Kaye and Gervais were top too! Don't forget the comics!

"Show me the way to..."

Mr. E!
07-02-2005, 03:33 PM
To be fair, DVDs weren't around in 1985 ;)

Thanks for sharing, Mr. Literal :D

Ahem: The original Live Aid concernt was not reproduced in any authorized audio or visual format until 19 1/2 years after the concerts.
And you still can't get the Zepplin footage because they stunk up the stage. ;-)

Allen Y
07-02-2005, 03:35 PM
How is the Live Aid DVD?

And I am now quite curious about the Zeppelin performance.

Allen

Dannñ B
07-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I heard that they weren't going to make any hard copies of it.

Mr. E!
07-02-2005, 03:42 PM
How is the Live Aid DVD?

And I am now quite curious about the Zeppelin performance.

Allen

They blame Phil Collins, who sat in with them on drums, for ruining their performance, and refused to let it ever be released.

who cares?
07-02-2005, 03:51 PM
They blame Phil Collins, who sat in with them on drums, for ruining their performance, and refused to let it ever be released.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight........

collins is a good drummer.... wtf?

AvidFan
07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Gilmour deliberately avoided looking Waters in the eye all the set, infact he was ignoring him to the point of nearly missing the group bow.
that tickled me, in the finest british tradition Gilmour and Waters are like an ex-married couple that can't get over the D.I.V.O.R.C.E. every time they see each other, Waters was really making the effort, they were fucking awesome though.

mind you, not as funny as Snoop's language, just as the nation was sitting down to its evening meal, classic.

AF.

alexlannin
07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
There were two guys on drums, Collins and the guy from Power Station.

V-Man
07-02-2005, 03:59 PM
They should have just done tham the whole time. Though Sting and Robbie Williams had great performances regardless.

Wipeout
07-02-2005, 04:21 PM

I dare you to try to listen to 'Echoes', it's only 20 minutes long and one of my favorite Pink Floyd tracks.

who cares?
07-03-2005, 06:16 PM

Wish You Were Here is one of my all-time favorite albums... it's a masterpiece in every way........

no matter how many times i listen, i'm always amazed....

Blake Sims
07-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I watched it this morning god bless that was fucking great!

I really wish they'd get back together and put out an album or at least go on tour.

Why did Roger Waters leave the group in the first place? I never really knew what happened there...

PeterSparker
07-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Why did Roger Waters leave the group in the first place? I never really knew what happened there...

...Ok, so Waters and Mason were childhood friends, they later meet Wright and Roger "Syd" Barret when they're in college together at Art school. They form a band, Syd is the songwriter/front man/heart throb/visionary of the group. They have an utterly unique sound and approach right of the bat, they arrive with instant "cred" becuase of Syd's look and absolute genius, its late 1966 into early 67, so the timing is perfect for them. But then Syd burns out from drugs/fame/mental problems and just generally not being as interested in pop stardom as the others are. So just about a year or so after "making it", Syd loses interest and is also somewhat mentally unstable and unpredictable a lot of the time. Eventually then, the other three decide Syd's a lost cause and replace him with Gilmour, who was also a childhood friend of Syd, in the hopes of keeping Pink Floyd going even without thier star.

They carry on, approaching things in the same manner, trying to write "Syd" type Floyd music. They also really grow as a band, playing longer pieces and constructing a dynamic soundscape all their own. They go on like that from 68 through 71, release a handful of vintage albums which capture that whole evolution in the band sound, away from Syd's distinctive British, eclectic/pop songs, to longer more experimental pieces that play to Gilmour's developing guitar style. Getting more away from mimicking Syd, and creating his own distict style.

Then comes 'Dark Side'! They made a consious effort to create tighter, shorter, more traditional type rock songs. The music they created was of course ground breaking, and resulted in a legendary masterpiece of an album. Also, Roger Waters wrote all the lyrics, and many of the riffs and progressions that became the songs. Waters took a themeatic, "conceptual" approach to the subject matter, including for the first time, dealing with a lot of his guilt and remorse over the fate of Syd Barret. It was the formula that would exsist from then on. Waters writing all of the lyrics, and crafting the music with Gilmour and Wright. Not only that, the other thing that continued too, was that Syd's demise, and their role in it, would even moreso dominate Waters' songwriting. As a matter of fact, the [i]entire next album, 'Wish You Were Here' is completely about Syd. He is the "crazy diamond" Roger is writing about.

They're even more succesful than they ever could have imagined. They've beaten all the odds. After losing thier brilliant looking, and brilliant sounding front man, they turn to a new creative force in the band and become one of the biggest groups in rock history. Next they do 'Animals', and while touring for that Waters becomes disgusted by the sheer spectacle and machinery of the bloated corporate rock band they've become, and kind of loses it himself a little. He then begins work on material dealing with that very alienation, also still processing his feelings about Syd, and even deeper issues concerning his entire life; childhood through the present, that will eventually become 'The Wall'. But along the way Waters' dictatorial nature of running the band finally comes to a head, along with Wright's drug addiction, and Gilmour's less than enthusistic response to 'The Wall' as thier next project. (Gilmour thought the music for the entire piece was lacking, and probably thought it was a bit self indulgent on Rogers part as subject matter on the whole.) So Wright is essentially forced out of the band, and offered a job as a hired member for touring, Mason is indifferent by this point, and Gilmour spends a lot of time trying to turn 'The Wall' into something worthwhile musically. We know they achieved another masterpiece, then did a few stagings of it in the US and England under much stress. Appearantly barely talking by that point, even while doing those concerts. The next project was 'The final Cut' where the fun had been taken completely out of it then. They were essentially just working on a solo Roger Waters album by that stage, which is what the subject matter certainly shows. Mason was already gone mostly, Wright was lost, and Gilmour didn't want Floyd to end, but he sure didn't want to be making the records Roger wanted to make at that point, or suffering under his abrassive manner.

(now if you're even still reading :) )...you needed all of that background though, because what follows is; they finally decide that enough is enough, and Waters starts a solo album with new musicians essentially ending the band. Which leaves Gilmour doing the same, but he really can't compete with Roger as a songwriter, so his solo stuff doesn't achieve much notice, and he feels he's not seeing any of the benifit from all the work he put into Floyd anyway, which is making him quite annoyed and bitter. Dave decides to get the other two back together (on salaries) then to go out on the road, playing the bulk of the stuff he sang lead on from the Floyd catalog, which is most of their biggest songs anyway. Also, they hire songwriters for material for a new album. Without Waters, they have to hire people to write "Floyd" songs now. Roger isn't happy about any of this, his point of view is that Gilmour wasn't even there when the band Pink Floyd was created, so who is he to use the name, especially to tour the world with the songs Waters wrote. So he sues them to keep them from using the name Pink Floyd. After a long series of court battles, Roger loses, and they hit the road for the next few years making tens of millions of dollars for themselves. Doing all of the things that Roger had spent the previous few years in both the album 'The Wall', and also the movie, railing against! The empty commercial corporate rock enterprise he created the groundbreaking theatrical piece 'The Wall' to denounce and destroy, was exactly what was now touring the world under the name Pink Floyd...

They each had their points. Gilmour, Wright, and Mason contributed greatly to what was the sound of Pink Floyd. Gilmour and Wright, not only as musicians and song composers, but as vocalists too. Waters had his point, that without him to write that legendary material, they were reduced to hiring songwriters and were not capable of doing what he had done. He had taken the role in the band he never intended to, or sought to have, and in the shadow of his never to be rivaled friend and bandmate, he became one of rock music's most profound lyricists and songwriters. Thats what the problem was, they both had thier points, but Waters took it especially hard because he thought they had "sold out" everything the band had stood for. All just to make some more money they didn't even need. He thought they never should have resurrected the band, or compromised its legacy.

That leads to a couple of decades of bad blood, snide comments, passing rumors of a possible reunion, and entrenched stuborness from both, but especially Gilmour in recent years. Mason wrote a book about the band a year or so ago, and appearantly its publication helped bury the hatchet between Mason and Waters. Wright had a lot of anger and bitterness too, but so many of his problems were self induced becuase of addiction that he was happy to just put it behind him. Waters had definitely softened on the subject in recent years, but it looked like regardless, he and Dave might never patch it up. They didn't even meet face to face for the first time in over two decades until this past thursday night, two days before the show. (gives you some idea of the vibe) Clearly, what we saw then was that Gilmour carried a 20 year old chip on his shoulder to the stage, determined to show just what his major contributions to the band were, his amazing singing voice, his superior musicianship, and his kick ass rock and roll guitar playing! He aptly demonstrated that saturday night no question, and Waters was obvioulsy more than happy to see him do so. (though Glimour's body language told you not all has been forgotten by him anyway) And, as with all things Floyd, Waters found his crystaline way with words as usual, saying a few poignent remarks about how proud he was to be playing with the other three again, about the cause, and then dedicating their performance to all those who weren't "here", "...especially Syd".

[/exhale.....]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/thelive8event/latestpic.jpg

(I wonder if even one person read all that?...)

emin
07-03-2005, 11:25 PM
i would seriously buy a DVD of just those 4 songs...

Here's one for free if you know how to work a torrent program.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8959 (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8959)

And I know most here are not into Velvet Revolver but here is a link to their perfomance on DVD as well

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?p=158512#post158512 (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?p=158512#post158512)

I pretty sure this is not against the rules in anyway. But if it is well........

who cares?
07-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Here's one for free if you know how to work a torrent program.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8959 (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8959)

And I know most here are not into Velvet Revolver but here is a link to their perfomance on DVD as well

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?p=158512#post158512 (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?p=158512#post158512)

I pretty sure this is not against the rules in anyway. But if it is well........

i got it off a torrent this morning...

but thanks anyways....

oh and BTW, i read that floyd history you posted above... very interesting...thanks...

i'll have to pick up that book by Wright now...

emin
07-04-2005, 12:00 AM
i got it off a torrent this morning...

Was it a DVD? If so could you give me a link.

Busman
07-04-2005, 12:53 AM
"Wish you were here" is an amazing album. Probably my favorite floyd album of all time. Definitely takes more than one listen to really appreciate it all.

Also, try listening with headphones on.

Floyd invented so many techniques for audio placement/treatements, and they really use them. It takes a great audio setup or just a pair of headphones to really appreaciate it all.

Beta_Ray_Bryan
07-04-2005, 07:45 AM
I got so aggravated with their intital coverage that I figured they'd find a way to ruin it all. I started watching when Dave Matthews Band was on.

It was like... here's a band.... cut to performance for 10 seconds...cut to people talking about the reason for the concert.... cut to stage for 20 more seconds...cut back to goofy announcer.....cut back to stage for end of song....announce the same band again....cut to commercial...repeat. I couldn't take it.

When how soon into it did they play? Was it shown uninterrupted?

who cares?
07-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Was it a DVD? If so could you give me a link.

it's not DVD quality, but it's not horrible...

good enough for what i wanted right now... http://isohunt.com/btDetails.php?ihq=pink+floyd+live+8&id=4728350 (http://isohunt.com/btDetails.php?ihq=pink+floyd+live+8&id=4728350)

Beta_Ray_Bryan
07-04-2005, 12:29 PM
sorry weird double post there..