PDA

View Full Version : So I don't read comics.

Scotty
08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I thought about this today. I can't remember the last time I actually bought comics. I'm actually thinking it was the day after Christmas 2008 but I'm not sure. The last time I bought a trade paper back was at Dragon Con 08. So its been two years since I bought a new comic. It's been at least that long since I read new stuff.

I love comics don't get me wrong. I read the trades I own from time to time. Just I haven't found anything that gripped me like Y: The Last Man did. And I know it's not for everyone but I think comics should make you hurt. Yes, I said it hurt.

Not like smack you in the face kind of pain, but that pain in your belly from the desire to have the next issue right as you finish the current one, only to have the sad fact you have to wait thirty days hit in you in your stomach like a knife. I miss that kind of desire. Not that apathetic it's new comic day I'll find something to read because it's habit, a real strong, should I sneak out of work to get to the shop early to get that issue first kind feeling.

Maybe I'm getting too old for funny books. I hope not, I did enjoy them. Maybe this is only a trail separation, we still have some chance before we divorce. Until then I just hang on the board, read whats new, maybe something will grab my attention.

Dream
08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Have you tried Joe the Barbarian? Bendis' Scarlet looks damn good as well.

leafinsectman
08-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I heard Wilson (by Dan Clowes) is messed up, maybe it'll 'hurt' reading it.

Cassandra
08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't think I'll ever be too old for comics. :scared:

Basque
08-03-2010, 05:19 PM
But if you haven't bought a book since 2008, it's no wonder you haven't found anything you liked. How do you expect to find new books exactly?

I haven't read Y: The Last Man (yet), but I think there are a lot of good books at Vertigo that would probably appeal to someone who liked that one. Have you tried Sweet Tooth? Or Daytripper? Or Northlanders? Those are the ones I'm currently reading and enjoying.

Infra-Man
08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I thought about this today. I can't remember the last time I actually bought comics. I'm actually thinking it was the day after Christmas 2008 but I'm not sure. The last time I bought a trade paper back was at Dragon Con 08. So its been two years since I bought a new comic. It's been at least that long since I read new stuff.

I love comics don't get me wrong. I read the trades I own from time to time. Just I haven't found anything that gripped me like Y: The Last Man did. And I know it's not for everyone but I think comics should make you hurt. Yes, I said it hurt.

Not like smack you in the face kind of pain, but that pain in your belly from the desire to have the next issue right as you finish the current one, only to have the sad fact you have to wait thirty days hit in you in your stomach like a knife. I miss that kind of desire. Not that apathetic it's new comic day I'll find something to read because it's habit, a real strong, should I sneak out of work to get to the shop early to get that issue first kind feeling.

Maybe I'm getting too old for funny books. I hope not, I did enjoy them. Maybe this is only a trail separation, we still have some chance before we divorce. Until then I just hang on the board, read whats new, maybe something will grab my attention.

Could be some phase or funk. There was a stretch of two or three months where I watched maybe only a movie or two (four tops). Just felt like I needed time away from the movies, but it passed. There was also a month where I didn't listen to any new music, but then that passed.

If you appreciate something and it did affect you at such a deep level like you mentioned, you never really quit or grow out of it. You may spend some time away from it, but you go back because you want to find something that makes you feel like you're falling in love with it again.

Scotty
08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
But if you haven't bought a book since 2008, it's no wonder you haven't found anything you liked. How do you expect to find new books exactly?

I haven't read Y: The Last Man (yet), but I think there are a lot of good books at Vertigo that would probably appeal to someone who liked that one. Have you tried Sweet Tooth? Or Daytripper? Or Northlanders? Those are the ones I'm currently reading and enjoying.

I keep up with whats going via the board. Mostly. And I never was a Vertigo guy to be honest. I kind enjoy the post apocalyptic genre and thought the idea of Y was nifty from the moment I read the description of Issue 1 in the Diamond Catalog. Then here I go on this amazing whirlwind of 70 issues. I tried Fables which came out at the same time and while I think the idea is great it just didn't grab me the way I hoped.

I want to try Scarlet. I like Bendis run on Daredevil and I love Maleev. I hated Daredevil until the .25 issue came out for the movie and it won me over on page one with Stilt Man trying to give his suit to Matt Murdock.

I'm picky i guess. Or too picky. I liked New Avengers for awhile and Secret Invasion sorta lost me. I not seen anything in DC in ages, I do enjoy Green Arrow as a Character but stopped reading not to long after the One Year Later thing which just confused me. My favorite DC stuff is Batman No Man's Land. Fantastic and if you not read it you should great stuff there.

stealthwise
08-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I keep up with whats going via the board. Mostly. And I never was a Vertigo guy to be honest. I kind enjoy the post apocalyptic genre and thought the idea of Y was nifty from the moment I read the description of Issue 1 in the Diamond Catalog. Then here I go on this amazing whirlwind of 70 issues. I tried Fables which came out at the same time and while I think the idea is great it just didn't grab me the way I hoped.

I want to try Scarlet. I like Bendis run on Daredevil and I love Maleev. I hated Daredevil until the .25 issue came out for the movie and it won me over on page one with Stilt Man trying to give his suit to Matt Murdock.

I'm picky i guess. Or too picky. I liked New Avengers for awhile and Secret Invasion sorta lost me. I not seen anything in DC in ages, I do enjoy Green Arrow as a Character but stopped reading not to long after the One Year Later thing which just confused me. My favorite DC stuff is Batman No Man's Land. Fantastic and if you not read it you should great stuff there.

Try out the first volume of Atomic Robo. Trust me.

AndrewG
08-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I heard Wilson (by Dan Clowes) is messed up, maybe it'll 'hurt' reading it.

Wilson was great!

AndrewG
08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I totally can't relate :) I'm probably buying more comics in my life than I ever have. There's a ton of great stuff out there from the Big Two down to the smaller indie companies. I think that there is more variety of great material of all shapes and sizes than ever before.

Green Lantern, Captain America, Batman and Robin, Flash, Secret Six, Secret Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers and Irredeemable are great, great super hero books. Walking Dead, Existence 2 and 3.0, True Story, King City, Swear to God, Sweets, Atomic Robo and the Parker adaptations are a few of the very great indies available. It really is a great time to be a comic book fan

leafinsectman
08-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Wilson was great!

I really gotta pick it up but I haven't seen it at my shop yet. I might have to get it online.

You also mentioned King City, what's it like? I'm so curious about that cat Earthling J.J. Catingsworth the 3rd :p

Scotty
08-03-2010, 07:31 PM
I really gotta pick it up but I haven't seen it at my shop yet. I might have to get it online.

You also mentioned King City, what's it like? I'm so curious about that cat Earthling J.J. Catingsworth the 3rd :p

Side note I love your sig. Where is it from?

Dream
08-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Morrison's Batman and Robin and his run in general is the best Batman ever. Even better than Miller's.

Scarlet is freaking sad from the first issue.

Try out the first volume of Atomic Robo. Trust me.

Great comic as well.

leafinsectman
08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Side note I love your sig. Where is it from?

Haha that's from Temple of Doom when they're about to get crushed in that room with the spikes and Indy wants Kate Capshaw to press the button with all the insects.

AndrewG
08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Morrison's Batman and Robin and his run in general is the best Batman ever. Even better than Miller's.

Scarlet is freaking sad from the first issue.

Great comic as well.

You are my favorite poster ever, now

Scotty
08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Haha that's from Temple of Doom when they're about to get crushed in that room with the spikes and Indy wants Kate Capshaw to press the button with all the insects.

Its awesome!

Dream
08-03-2010, 08:36 PM
You are my favorite poster ever, now

Awesome! I truly believe that though.

AndrewG
08-03-2010, 08:36 PM

King City is from Image by way of Tokyo Pop. I can't explain it and do it justice. It's a very detailed (I can stare at a page and take in all the extras in the backgrounds for as long as it takes me to read an entire issue of some comics). It's sci fi fantasy mixed with a healthy dose of insanity.

leafinsectman
08-03-2010, 08:38 PM
King City is from Image by way of Tokyo Pop. I can't explain it and do it justice. It's a very detailed (I can stare at a page and take in all the extras in the backgrounds for as long as it takes me to read an entire issue of some comics). It's sci fi fantasy mixed with a healthy dose of insanity.

That does it, I'm gonna pick it up next time I see it.

Scotty
08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I guess I'll take these suggestions to Dragon Con and see what I can pick up.

AndrewG
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Awesome! I truly believe that though.

So do I

This thread is a year old and still going strong. Spread the B&R love.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=178761

AndrewG
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
That does it, I'm gonna pick it up next time I see it.

Yea!!!

Basque
08-03-2010, 09:00 PM

Sweet Tooth, which I recommended, is set in a post-apocalyptic world. Just saying. Doesn't mean you're going to like it. But I think it's a fantastic book.

As for Fables, I've never read it and can't bring myself to. I used to be able to ignore writers' politics if their work appealed to me enough (like when I was a big fan of Ender's Game), but these days I find it harder to swallow. I don't really want to support douchebags, even if they happen to be talented douchebags.

MayorMitch100
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Walking Dead will make you hurt. And then be really really sad. I did read the first 60 issues in under a week.

Scotty
08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Sweet Tooth, which I recommended, is set in a post-apocalyptic world. Just saying. Doesn't mean you're going to like it. But I think it's a fantastic book.

As for Fables, I've never read it and can't bring myself to. I used to be able to ignore writers' politics if their work appealed to me enough (like when I was a big fan of Ender's Game), but these days I find it harder to swallow. I don't really want to support douchebags, even if they happen to be talented douchebags.

I don't know anything about their politics? I just didn't think it was a good book.

Basque
08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't know anything about their politics? I just didn't think it was a good book.

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't so much replying to your comment as just going on a tangent. But Bill Willingham (who wrote Fables) writes for a right-wing blog and often says douchy things like, "Oh, super-hero comics are so un-American now." Blargh.

And then he wrote this offensive and terribly unfunny "joke" in JSA: http://comicsnexus.insidepulse.com/2010/07/12/bill-willingham-justifies-my-dropping-of-jsa-and-makes-a-horrible-gay-joke-at-the-same-time/

Let's just say I'm not a fan.